• Published 26th Feb 2014
  • 7,571 Views, 217 Comments

He Who Walks The Graves - The Zealot



When the ignorant find knowledge they are dangerous. One man understands this, and so seeks to educate the nation he once fought for, and to bring down it's tyrant ruler.

  • ...
30
 217
 7,571

Chapter 18: ... Done With Innocence

He Who Walks The Graves
By: The Zealot
Chapter 18: … Done With Innocence

Excerpts from the journal of royal agent ‘Reaper’

There are not many times I am away from battle these days, it seems that there is always another fight to have, another encampment to take. There is no rest. Strangely, I find myself not needing sleep, although I suppose this should be of no surprise considering my apparent proto-immortality.

I still have times of rest though. Celestia sees my constant fighting as unhealthy, and so orders me to take breaks every now and then. On one of these such breaks I discovered something most disturbing. My new operative, Werner, has been having trouble while at camp.

It seems that, even though he has pledged allegiance to Equestria, and to myself, the pony soldiers refuse to accept him as one of their own. Understandable, I suppose. They still have not accepted me, even though I have done so much for them.

However, I could not let that stand. Moral was dropping, both in my team and the military throughout. I gave a speech. To all that would listen, how the enemy is clear and those that chose to fight with us are to be accepted.

It went better than I could have dreamed. I must have at least some pull, for after that day I no longer got complaints about Werner, and the very few complaints of Hisoka, although he did carry around mostly in pony form.

On the note of Changelings, reports have been good on their mission, which they are still carrying out. Griffin soldiers are becoming weaker as time passes, and though they still push us as a steel wall, we have our victories.

This war had been going on for years, it is my hope to end it soon.

[December 6th-12th, 1189 Y.R.S.]

*****

Celestia and her sister have made an amazing discovery. One that I find to be perhaps the most important thing we’ve found throughout this war. Deep under the castle, in a cave that looks to be formed by nature itself, we found something.

Something that Celestia and that sister of hers recognized. It was a tree. A glorious tree, of crystal and gemstone. From the bark, shapes were carved. A heart, a balloon, a giftbox, and so on. These were, as explained by the Princess, where some so called ‘Elements of Harmony’ were taken from the tree.

According to Luna, the Elements were wielded by herself and her sister, to vanquish a great threat to the world. A being known as Discord, a mad god of Chaos who made the entire planet and all its people his playthings.

This tree I named Yggdrasil, for it was the only thing keeping this place together. They couldn’t see it, I know not why, but I could. I saw how this tree, no, this construct of pure magic, I saw how it regulated the magical flow of the planet.

For were it to die, this entire realm would implode upon itself, the pure magical forces would crush the world and all it contained like a fly beneath a boot. The ponies didn’t understand. the Changelings didn’t, neither did the Griffins, nor any other species of the planet.

I was alone in my knowledge, and so, rather than be cast out for madness, I began my studies. My time away from battle was consumed by the tree. Tending to it, studying it, allowing it to feed off my power.

And in return? In return, it taught me. It gave me the knowledge to use forces I was completely unaware of. The subfields of magical energy that coursed through the veins of the very universe. But no one man could control them, and so only a tiny field of powers were opened to me. For the time being.

Movement was my focus at the time, hiding, and riding, in shadow. Disappearing in puffs of smoke. Blending myself into the darkness, and becoming invisible to all. My abilities of stealth were enhanced twenty fold.

I was promised more, for my continued caretaking of the tree. But I would have done that job even without such boons, for truly, the survival of the realm is many times more important than my personal power.

[December 15th-21st, 1189 Y.R.S.]

*****

When I left each time from the loving caress of Yggdrasil I was left sorrowful. But soon after I remembered my promises, and so left without fuss. The tree would always be there, after all. Plans were going underway, more aggressive strikes against the Griffins were needed, and so I was chosen to plan them.

It occurred to me that my team was still not complete, we were missing a fourth individual. I had not the time to search, however. My other two teammates were out on missions, Hisoka on infiltration and information gathering. Werner on demolitions work, taking down strategic Griffin positions on the frontlines, as well as teaching the ponies all the weak spots of Griffin defenses.

I worried for them, I will admit. I worried for them all. But I could not let my worries slow me down, besides, I had a job to do. Far to the north, in the frozen wasteland, on of Equestria’s allies was calling for aid. The Crystal Empire, I had been educated on them via Luna, but it would still be a sight to see. Although, if all went well, the only reason I'd be going there was sightseeing.

The job was to get rid of a Griffin forward camp through any means necessary, the were set up within viewing distance of the city, and the citizens inside along with the rulers of the place didn't like that at all. I could understand, the Griffins didn't take prisoners so much as they took slaves.

Myself and one other were chosen for such a job. I thought it odd that only a stallion and I would be sent on such an obviously important mission, but perhaps there is something more than meets the eye about this stallion, Tank I think they said his name was. I would see first hand, we leave tomorrow.

[December 24th-26th, 1189 Y.R.S.]

Author's Note:

I kinda like this journal style thing, granted, it does make it hard to write real long chapters. So, next chapter we have a quaint little tea party, where some light will be shed on what Celestia did. Just a little though, I still want to have that reveal be as big as possible. Although, I think some of you already know what happened.

I hope you all enjoy, and I'm very sorry for taking so long. I know that what's here shouldn't have taken as long as it did, but it's been re-written so many time and ideas have changed so many times, that it took just forever.

Thank you all for you continued support, your friendly neighborhood author ~Zealot

Edit: This is perhaps the proudest moment of my life: Pursuer Status: Parried