• Published 16th Feb 2014
  • 4,678 Views, 299 Comments

Intermediate Lessons - dungeonguy88



After stumbling upon the secret history between her mentor and the Queen of the Changelings, Twilight now finds herself in a position to put an end to the Pony-Changeling conflict...if she can just deal with all the craziness around her.

  • ...
6
 299
 4,678

Lesson Ten: Look Below the Surface

“Wait. So you're sure you don't have anything you wish to discuss with one another?” Twilight asked of the Changeling Queen and her pegasus friend. The young princess was still a bit perturbed that the two of them seemed perfectly content to not openly address some of the problems that had gone on between them.

“Nah, she's cool.” Rainbow Dash said with a wave of her hoof, as she began to peruse her prize, the latest Daring Do novel.

“I consider those matters settled, as well.” Chrysalis easily agreed.

“But-” Twilight began.

“She's quiet now. What more do you expect from me?” Chrysalis asked, annoyed by Twilight's continued pressing on the issue.

“But you didn't actually settle any of the problems you have with each other, did you? All you did was bribe Rainbow Dash with a book!” Twilight exclaimed, baffled by how willing the two were to ignore all the conflict that had gone on between them over the course of the trip. Turning towards her friend “I mean, Dash, you guys were almost at one another's throats when we were on the train!”

“Geez...try to relax, Twilight. I was kinda being a jerk. She was definitely being a jerk. Can't we just leave it at that?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“...You don't have anything you want to say to her still? It's just...settled now?” Twilight pressed her friend again.

“I-...well, maybe...” Rainbow Dash hesitantly admitted as she glanced towards the Changeling Queen. There were some things she still kinda wanted to get off her chest, but... “Aw, come on, Twi. Can't we just be done with all of this already?”

Twilight glanced between the two once more, before sighing to herself “...It's fine, I guess.”

It just didn't feel fine to the young princess.

“Well, I'm certainly pleased to note that we've managed to settle all of these outstanding issues.” Blueblood said aloud, before making a gesture with his hoof “Now, if someone would be so kind as to lead us out of this...lovely library, we might wish to go about retrieving Twilight's other wayward friend.”

“I almost hesitate to even bother...” Chrysalis commented, before turning her gaze towards Twilight “Are you done for now? Is there anything you desire before we find your friend?”

“Anything I desire? What do you-” Twilight began to ask, surprised by the sudden question.

“Do you want a book?” Chrysalis asked, making it as clear as possible what she was asking of the young princess.

Twilight had to resist the urge to blurt out 'Yes' though she suspected her thoughts were clearly being advertised.

Forcing down the base, primal part of her brain that governed things like her desire for books and her 'Fight or Flight' response, Twilight took a moment to clear her throat, before trying to address the question.

“Uhm, well, I'm certainly not one to turn down such an offer. But, are you sure it's alright? You seemed...reluctant, about parting with just one book earlier.” Twilight politely hedged, even as she struggled to 'play it cool'.

Chrysalis rolled her eyes “I hardly see the point in fighting the issue at this point-” she paused for the moment it took to gesture a hoof towards Rainbow Dash “-I don't even like this one, and I'm letting her canter off with one of our books.”

Twilight had to frown a bit at Chrysalis' excuse; that kind of sniping only backed up her concerns about things not being 'settled' between the two of them.

But even so, it seemed neither Rainbow Dash or Chrysalis intended on clearing the air...

...and she would like a closer look at that book that was written in draconic.

“Hold on a sec...” Rainbow Dash suddenly spoke-up, setting her book to the side as she did. Cantering a bit closer to Chrysalis “Do you mind running that last part by me again?”

“What?” Chrysalis asked, an eyebrow raised in confusion at the pegasus' sudden request.

Twilight found herself a bit confused by her friend's question, as well.

“Just that part about you not liking me.” Rainbow Dash clarified easily.

“Does that come as some sort of shock to you?” The Changeling Queen asked, with just a touch of sarcasm in her voice.

“Nah, that's fine. You don't like me. I think you're kind of a jerk. Whatever.” Rainbow Dash waved away that line-of-thought easily, before continuing “It's just, the way you went about pointing out how you don't like me...sort of makes it sound like you kind of like Twilight.”

“...What?” Chrysalis blurted out, mirroring Twilight's own thoughts perfectly.

“Yeah, I mean, I'm getting a book and you don't like me, right? Which is cool, by the way.” Rainbow Dash explained with a cheeky grin “And since you maybe, kinda, do like Twi, it'd only be fair if she got a book too, right?”

“That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.” Chrysalis exclaimed indignantly, which earned a slightly annoyed look from Twilight. Noticing this, Chrysalis shook her head at Twilight “Oh, please. Stop acting offended. That is hardly the worst thing I've said about you today, which proves my point exactly.”

Twilight had to admit, that Chrysalis had a point there. The Changeling Queen had taken many opportunities to tease and insult the young princess over the course of the trip.

Rainbow Dash just shrugged, not deterred “So? Gilda was my best friend for years and we always gave each other a hard time.”

...And Rainbow Dash kind of had a point, as well, Twilight admitted to herself.

“I am not even going to validate that reasoning with a response.” Chrysalis proclaimed.

“Because you think Twilight's kinda awesome, right?” Rainbow Dash gleefully asked.

“This is ridiculous. You can't dissect some off-hoofed remark like that, and then expect to come to some sort of revelation about the one that said it.” Chrysalis again argued.

Blueblood, who till now had been content to keep his peace, brought a hoof to his chin in consideration “Perhaps so. Though, I dare say, the Lady Rainbow Dash may not exactly be wrong in inferring that-”

“Would you care for a tour of your old cell?” Chrysalis suddenly bit out, with a glare towards the stallion.

“...-we really don't have any time for baseless suppositions, do we?” Blueblood finished, recognizing that he was not welcomed in the discussion.

“Tch, I don't get why you're having such a- Hey!” Rainbow Dash began again, before suddenly noticing her book floating away, engulfed in Chrysalis' magical aura.

“Oh, come on! Is that how you're really gonna play this?” Rainbow Dash asked in annoyance, as she tried to move a hoof towards the floating book, only for it to drift out of her reach.

Chrysalis gave no response, and simply gazed off to the side.

“Alright! You win! You hate everyone and I was totally wrong...” Rainbow Dash conceded without much sincerity, as she again reached for her book.

Only for it to drift out of her reach again.

Rainbow Dash loosed an irritated sigh, before taking to the air so she could cross her forehooves over her chest “Fine. I'm, like, completely wrong about everything ever!...And you're super-smart, and awesome, and good looking, and-”

“Finally, you're starting to make some sense.” Chrysalis dryly commented, before depositing the Daring Do novel in front of the hovering pegasus once more.

Rainbow Dash just rolled her eyes, as she collected her book, before audibly muttering “Talk about being stuck in denial...”

The Changeling Queen either did not hear the pegasus or simply chose to ignore the remarks, as she continued to march up to Twilight. Stopping before the bemused alicorn, Chrysalis eventually raised an eyebrow before coolly asking “Well?”

Twilight blinked.

“Uh, you're wondering if I would still like a book from your collection?” Twilight hesitantly asked, deciding to not confront the rather bizarre issue that Rainbow Dash had raised.

“Is it that obvious?” Chrysalis sarcastically asked, evidently still irritated. Though part of Twilight noted that the Changeling Queen generally didn't seem to like being forced to repeat herself in the first place.

“Right. Sorry...” Twilight conceded, as she stood under Chrysalis' gaze. Getting over her discomfort fairly quickly, Twilight did find that her eye was trailing it's way up the shelves to rest upon the large tome from before “...Well, maybe.”

Chrysalis followed her gaze easily enough, to rest her own gaze upon the draconic work. Raising an eyebrow at Twilight's apparent choice “That one? Fine.”

Twilight found herself a bit startled by Chrysalis' quick decision, even as the Changeling Queen wrapped the book in her magic and brought it down from it's place on the shelf.

It was almost certainly a literary treasure, and Chrysalis didn't seem to give anymore mind to hoofing it over to Twilight, than one might give to the question of what to order for lunch.

A few seconds later, the heavy tome was hovering in front of Twilight, Chrysalis evidently waiting for the young princess to take it with her own magical power.

Twilight hesitated.

Twilight had never before hesitated to take a book that was being offered to her.

“I'm not carrying it for you.” Chrysalis declared, tiring quickly of Twilight's reluctance to take the book.

“I- It's just-...Are sure you want to give this to me?” Twilight asked. Maybe Rainbow Dash was right about the Changeling Queen...

“Do you not want it?” Chrysalis asked.

“No, that's...I mean draconic works are so rare...” Twilight tried to explain.

“It's fine if you don't want it. Or if you do. What is not fine is leaving me standing here as you wrestle with yourself over whether or not to take the thing.” Chrysalis pointed out, in an increasingly short tone.

Twilight was briefly tempted to try to explain herself further, but quickly realized that, knowing Chrysalis, if she hesitated any longer the changeling might just rescind the offer out of annoyance. A moment later, she took the heavy tome from Chrysalis using her own magic.

“Uhm, thank you.” Twilight intoned as her gaze moved from the book to Chrysalis.

The Changeling Queen merely rolled her eyes, as she cantered around Twilight, commenting aloud as she did so “Just don't come back claiming you've changed your mind, once you've realized that you've read that story before.”

“Wait, what?” Twilight blurted out, not understanding what the Changeling Queen was implying with the vague remark.

“This day has already worn on too long for my tastes. Let us find your missing friend and finish this.” Chrysalis declared, ignoring Twilight. A moment later, the Changeling Queen glanced back towards the quietly hovering Alate and Cryptic “You two, as well. I've yet to decide how to deal with you.”

The twins both swallowed anxiously, but did not hesitate in falling in behind their Queen.

“Deal with them?” Rainbow Dash asked aloud, as she collected her book. Frowning at Chrysalis' choice of words, the pegasus glanced towards Twilight “What do you think she meant by-”

“Wait, Chrysalis! What did you mean before?!” Twilight anxiously demanded of the retreating Changeling Queen, holding up the heavy tome in her magic, as she did so.

“It's not important.” Chrysalis easily declared.

“Not important how? Do you mean the book isn't important? Or that what you said isn't important?” Twilight asked, causing the Changeling Queen to draw to a halt.

Turning back towards the young princess, Chrysalis slowly rose a hoof to her chin as she visibly considered the question. After several seconds spent thinking over the matter, leaving Twilight eagerly awaiting the answer, Chrysalis slowly leaned forward “...You'll see.”

Twilight's jaw dropped a bit, as she tried to come up with some sort of response “I'll see?! What's that supposed to- wait! Chrysalis!”

Not waiting for Twilight to come to terms with her unhelpful answer, Chrysalis had turned away and begun to march away again, evidently expecting the ponies to follow.

Twilight certainly wasted no time in pursuing the Changeling Queen, dragging the heavy book behind her in a magenta magical aura.

“At least, tell me if it was written by an actual dragon!...Please?...Chrysalis!” Twilight continued to bombard Chrysalis with questions, as Chrysalis, no doubt gleefully, continued to disregard them all.

Blueblood simply shook his head, going 'tsk-tsk-tsk' as he did so.

“Yeah...” Rainbow Dash quietly agreed, before following after her friend.


A little while later...

Twilight Sparkle was most definitely not pouting.

She was not brooding, sullen, or over-reacting in any way to the fact that Chrysalis was refusing to explain what was wrong with her recently acquired book.

“What's wrong with it?” Twilight demanded again, breaking the relative silence over the group, as they marched down the tunnel.

“Wrong with what?” Chrysalis asked neutrally.

Twilight did not pout.

“There's something you're not telling about this book.” Twilight accused.

“Well, that's almost a certainty. There are many things I could tell you about that book...Most of them are quite dull.” Chrysalis calmly explained to the irate princess.

“You know what? That's alright. You don't have to tell me...In fact, I'm betting there isn't even anything wrong with it.” Twilight confidently declared, from Chrysalis' side. Twilight wasn't going to let the Changeling Queen bait her any further...

Twilight loosed a heavy sigh, after only a few moments of silence, letting her head droop towards the floor as she did so.

“...Please tell me.” Twilight requested again.

Chrysalis sighed herself, as the Pony Princess continued to press her on the minor issue. The Changeling Queen had to admit it was starting to lose it's comedic value, as she turned her gaze towards Twilight “You truly cannot let anything go, can you?”

“I'm sorry?” Twilight asked, having not expected the question.

“Certainly, that quality may have served you well in uncovering my plot during the Invasion, but it's getting a bit annoying now. Celestia undersold it, when she said you have a bit of a tendency to obsess.” Chrysalis elaborated.

“W-what? I don't do that! When have I ever-” Twilight began to protest.

“Celestia's mentioned the 'Want it, Need it' incident to me before.” Chrysalis easily interjected, causing Twilight to suddenly snap her mouth shut.

After a few moments of silence, Twilight swallowed down a small amount of leftover shame for that incident, and cleared her throat “Ok. Yes, I might have some issues with worrying too much about certain things. But-”

“Alright, do you mind if I cut in here, Twi?” Rainbow Dash suddenly asked, with just a touch of annoyance.

“I certainly do.” Chrysalis said with a glance towards the pegasus, to which Rainbow Dash only reacted with a roll of her eyes.

“Hah. Hah. Look, I got a question for you, alright?” Rainbow Dash explained.

“Alright.” Chrysalis easily granted, even as her magic once again encased Rainbow Dash's Daring Do novel and floated it a way.

“Hey! Would you- You know what? If you want to be that way, that's your call. I still got something I want to know from you.” Rainbow Dash said, taking to the air to be able to look Chrysalis in eyes.

“Go ahead...As if you were truly waiting to gain my permission.” Chrysalis said with a sigh, disappointed that her current method of gaining the pegasus' silence had been lost.

“What exactly is it you want to know, Dash?” Twilight found herself asking, broken from her previous concerns over her book.

“Ok, why have those two been following us this whole time?” Rainbow Dash asked, as she pointed a hoof towards a surprised Alate and Cryptic “I mean, sure, they're pretty cool, I guess. But they haven't really been doing anything, have they?”

Chrysalis frowned slightly at the question, and the somewhat accusatory tone “They are following me, because I expect them to. So-”

“So, you can what? Deal with them? What exactly is that supposed to mean?” Rainbow Dash demanded of the Changeling Queen.

“It means I am going to be determining their punishments.” Chrysalis answered, her earlier levity swiftly disappearing.

“You're punishing them?! For what?” Rainbow Dash loudly asked.

“Do you not recall your little race from earlier?” Chrysalis reminded.

“Seriously? So, what? Have you got a problem with them just flying around now? Have you actually banned having fun now?” Rainbow Dash shot back.

“Dash, I think-” Twilight tried to interject.

“She's not up to anything, I get that. But that doesn't mean she hasn't been acting like the biggest jerk ever! They're kind of weird, but they haven't even done anything wrong!” Rainbow Dash explained.

“What they were doing was disturbing the current, very tenuous, peace of my hive. The same peace that serves as the wall between my subjects and complete panic.” Chrysalis explained, as the twins both sank to the ground in apparent shame and worry. Leaning down to meet the pegasus' gaze directly, Chrysalis bit out the next words “Or perhaps you thought the little games of hide-and-seek my changelings have been playing, every time we rounded a corner, was just typical behavior?”

“Uhm, no-” Rainbow Dash began.

“To say nothing of distracting their Queen as she tries to lead the historic delegation that may very well determine the ultimate fate of the entire swarm!” Chrysalis finished with a shout.

“Well, fine then! If that stupid race was so bad, then you can punish me too!” Rainbow Dash shouted back.

What?” Chrysalis asked, though not in a manner that suggested she was surprised. It was more like, the Changeling Queen had just heard something profoundly stupid.

“You heard me. It was my idea, and I roped them in to it. So if you're going to punish them, you should be punishing me too.” Rainbow Dash explained, as she set down on the floor and looked back up towards the Changeling Queen. For Alate and Cryptic's part, the twins stared at the pony dumbfounded.

Chrysalis rose a hoof to the bridge between her eyes, in a mix of exasperation and aggravation.

“I'm afraid, that's not really possible, Miss Dash.” Blueblood finally spoke up, cantering up as he did so. Clearing his throat as he approached “You see, while Queen Chrysalis is perfectly within her rights to discipline her subjects, within reason, it is not so easy a thing for her to do the same to you. Or anypony, really.”

“What? Why not? I just said-” Rainbow Dash began, not grasping the problem.

“He's kinda right, Dash.” Twilight said, agreeing with the stallion's words. Coming up alongside her friend, she gestured around them with a hoof “Technically, Chrysalis' swarm hasn't been formally recognized in the international community. The changelings are sitting in something of a political gray area, right now.”

“So? What exactly does all of that mean?” Rainbow Dash asked, still not understanding.

“It means, that as far as anyone else is concerned, the changelings are nothing more than a rather large gang. And you would no more be expected to obey their laws, than the laws of a school of fish.” Blueblood explained succinctly. Tilting his head towards the Changeling Queen, Blueblood continued “And if she did try to enforce her will upon you, to punish you, we would be rightly able to claim that she is perpetrating a crime upon you.”

“Uh, so?” Rainbow Dash asked with a shake of her head.

Prince Blueblood blinked, before turning towards Twilight “I'm not sure I can explain it any simpler than that.”

“Dash-” Twilight began.

“Arrgh! I got all of that, alright? So what part of me volunteering to be punished are you guys not getting?” Rainbow Dash asked in annoyance.

“...You're choosing to allow me to punish you.” Chrysalis slowly summarized, even as Twilight and Blueblood were still processing what the pegasus had just said.

“Uh, yeah.” Rainbow Dash again confirmed.

Chrysalis actually seemed to consider that for a moment, before glancing towards Blueblood, who could only shrug “I suppose, that if she's willing, there is no true problem with her being punished...as long as it's within reason.”

The Changeling Queen tilted her head towards his words, before turning her attention back towards Rainbow Dash. Humming to herself, she began to steadily walk around the pegasus “So, you'll accept any punishment I choose to dole out for you?”

“Again, within-” Blueblood tried to interject.

“You got it! Anything you can dish out, I can deal with!” Rainbow Dash defiantly declared.

“Rainbow Dash, I really don't think you need to-” Twilight began as she cantered over towards her friend, her voice laced with concern.

“Twi, I'm not gonna leave them hanging, alright? And if that stupid race was such a big deal, then I shouldn't be able to get off, just cause of some stupid legal thing.” Rainbow Dash explained a bit forcefully.

Twilight frowned as she heard her friend's reasoning, but didn't say anything further. Rather she turned her own attention towards Chrysalis.

Twilight had to note that, for a change, the Changeling Queen seemed rather calm.

Not calm, as in suppressing extreme annoyance, but actually calm.

“...Very well. I believe I have your punishment decided.” Chrysalis declared after a few more moments of consideration.

“Alright then...lay it on me.” Rainbow Dash said.

“Your punishment...is to not be punished.” Chrysalis slowly declared.

“...What, really?” Rainbow Dash asked, as surprised by the punishment as everyone else gathered there. Raising an eyebrow, the pegasus again glanced towards the twins “So...what? You're not punishing anyone?”

“Oh, no. You misunderstand...These two are still being punished for what they did...” Chrysalis explained with a gesture of her hoof towards the duo. Raising that same hoof to her chin in consideration, she turned towards Alate and Cryptic “And, I think...two weeks of clearing out rocks from the newly expanded tunnels, should remind these two of the importance of caution and consideration for their actions.”

Both Alate and Cryptic quickly bowed their heads in unison “Yes, your Highness.”

“B-but, I just said-” Rainbow Dash began to protest, lifting up into the air as she did so.

“That you would accept any punishment that I chose for you?” Chrysalis reminded the pegasus.

“But, I thought- that doesn't make any sense!” Rainbow Dash declared.

“I disagree.” Chrysalis succinctly replied, as she too casually began to examine one of her hooves. Noting the increasingly confused and irate expression on the pegasus' face, she sighed before explaining “Your punishment is to accept the fact that you will not have to suffer for your actions, and my two changelings will.”

“Well...I can't think of any proper objections that can be raised against that.” Blueblood conceded from the side, earning a brief glance from Rainbow Dash and Twilight.

Seeing the lost expression on her friend's face at the Changeling Queen's declaration, Twilight stepped forward “Is this really necessary, Chrysalis? All Rainbow Dash is trying to do is make things right, and your throwing it back in her face.”

“I don't see how she's really left me any choice.” Chrysalis commented, before focusing back on the hovering pegasus “Honestly, it strikes me as quite the perfect punishment for her. Something she's used to.”

“Are you trying to say-” Rainbow Dash began, taking offense at the thought of being the kind of pony that shirked the consequences of her actions.

“I'm saying that, based on what I've seen, you do a marvelous job of punishing yourself.” Chrysalis said with a smirk. Which only grew, as she noted the bewildered look the pegasus was sporting “That is, after all, the reason you demanded to come along, isn't it?”

It was actually Twilight that managed to get a word in ahead of her friend, glancing between Rainbow Dash and the Changeling Queen “What is she talking about?”

“Isn't it obvious?” Chrysalis asked of Twilight “Your little friend is trying to make up for ignoring you, when you were trying to warn them when I was impersonating Cadenza. She feels guilty for making it so very easy for me to turn them against you then, so she's trying to make up for it now.”

“But, that's ridiculous! Rainbow-” Twilight was given pause when she noticed her friend not making any effort to dismiss Chrysalis' claim.

“Dash...you don't think that I still hold that against any of you? Do you?” Twilight asked as she stepped closer to her friend, as the pegasus set her hooves back on the ground.

“...No.” Rainbow Dash slowly admitted.

“Then, I don't understand what the problem is, Dash.” Twilight admitted.

“...Look. I know you've probably forgiven all of us already, and that you probably haven't even thought about it for, like, months. But then she comes along, and...” Rainbow Dash trailed off as she gestured towards Chrysalis with a hoof. After a few moments, she looked back towards Twilight “If she really was up to something...I didn't want to end up letting you down again, Twi.”

“Rainbow Dash, you didn't-” Twilight started.

“Yes, I did, Twilight. We should have listened to you then, but we didn't. I mean, when are you ever really wrong, Twi?” Rainbow Dash pointed out.

“I am always getting things wrong, Dash.” Twilight firmly stated for her friend.

“Not when it's important-” Rainbow Dash argued.

Especially when it's important! That's why I need you guys by my side, Dash!” Twilight shouted at the pegasus, stamping her hoof as she did so.

"But-" Rainbow Dash tried to object, before being cut-off by the young princess.

“Without all of you, I never would have found the Elements of Harmony, much less actually been able to use them! I was the one that got us to go into the maze, when Discord first broke out! And I didn't even think to get any actual evidence, when Chrysalis was impersonating Cadance!”

Drawing to a pause as she let her words sink, Twilight took in a deep breath before continuing.

“We all make mistakes, Dash.” Twilight finished, setting her hoof along her friends back and pointedly meeting her friend's gaze.

"Now that you mention it, you do kinda screw up a lot.” Rainbow Dash conceded, before smiling towards Twilight "And I guess, there was still some stuff I needed to get off my chest. So you're still right about some things."

Twilight just smiled back, glad to have gotten through to her friend.

After sharing in the moment between the two of them, Rainbow Dash took in a deep breath before exhaling it out. Taking a couple of steps forward, the pegasus stopped in front of the, now attentive, Changeling Queen.

Steeling herself for a moment, Rainbow Dash then looked up to meet Chrysalis' own curious gaze “I'm...sorry, for earlier. Disturbing the peace. Getting those two in trouble...And whatever else I may have done...yeah.”

“...You do understand that this does nothing to sway me on the decided punishments?” Chrysalis asked.

“...Yeah. Yeah, I get that.” Rainbow Dash conceded.

“Good. Now we can finally move on.” Chrysalis said, apparently eager to get a move on, as she began to turn down the tunnel almost immediately afterward. The Changeling Queen came to a sudden stop before turning back towards the silent changeling twins “And you two will begin your punishment tomorrow, is that understood?”

Both had been rather caught up in Rainbow Dash's moment themselves, leaving them both surprised when their Queen addressed them.

“O-of course, your Grace.” Cryptic said, with a somewhat sloppy salute, where Alate just frantically began nodding towards her Queen.

“Two weeks...considering it's the two of you, I should expect you to complete your punishment in half that time.” Chrysalis rather casually remarked, leaving the already off-balance changelings very nearly floored by the implications.

“...My Queen?” Cryptic asked.

“Are you saying...?” Alate began at the same time.

“I am saying, you are being punished with two weeks worth of laboring in the tunnels. And the math says, that between the two of you, that should amount to one week each.” Chrysalis slowly explained.

After a few moments of silence on their part, both Alate and Cryptic saluted their Queen, accepting her word on the matter. To which Chrysalis simply nodded, before she again began to lead the way down the tunnel.

She didn't get very far.

“Wait a second!” Rainbow Dash demanded as she took to the air and stopped in front of the Changeling Queen.

“What is it now?” Chrysalis asked irritably, as she was forced to come to a stop.

“You just tricked me somehow, didn't you?” Rainbow Dash accused.

“I don't know what you're talking about.” Chrysalis denied.

“Don't give me that. You just tried to pull a 'Princess-Celestia' didn't you?” Rainbow Dash pressed on, earning a bewildered look from the Changeling Queen.

And an equally bewildered look from Twilight “She pulled a what, Dash?”

“You know, that thing Princess Celestia does when she's tricking you into figuring out something on your own, or whatever?” Rainbow Dash explained.

“Princess Celestia doesn't try to trick anyone, Dash.” Twilight exclaimed, earning skeptical looks from nearly everyone present.

“She doesn't!” Twilight reiterated, a touch defensively.

“Whatever you say, Twilight. The point is...” Rainbow Dash pointed a hoof towards Chrysalis as she continued “Just now, I think she was actually trying to be nice...You know? In a really mean way, but still.”

“...I put all that effort into psychologically tormenting you, and you now believe that was my way of being nice to you?” Chrysalis asked in a tone dripping in skepticism.

“A little too much effort if you ask me...And, I think you're trying to cut them some slack now, aren't you?” Rainbow Dash accused, as she glanced back towards Cryptic and Alate.

“I don't have time for this.” Chrysalis dismissed, with a shake of her head, as she shouldered past the pegasus.

“Fine, don't admit it. But, you are trying to fix all the mistakes you made, right?” Rainbow Dash continued, darting back in front of the Changeling Queen as she did so.

“What is your point?” Chrysalis bit out.

Rainbow Dash considered the Changeling Queen for a few moments, before she loosed a heavy sigh, before extending a hoof out towards Chrysalis.

“What are you doing?” Chrysalis asked, as she eyed the extended appendage.

“It's a hoof-bump. You know? You just-” Rainbow Dash began to explain.

“I know the gesture. Why are you doing it?” Chrysalis clarified, irritably.

“Eh...We all make mistakes, right?” Rainbow Dash said, echoing Twilight's earlier words. Noticing that she had finally managed to surprise the Changeling Queen, Rainbow Dash loosed a shrug “And, I mean, if you really are trying to make up for them...it's just fair that you get a shot at it too, right?”

“...I'm not hoof-bumping you.” Chrysalis abruptly said.

Twilight noted that she didn't bother to deny any of the rest of what Rainbow Dash was saying.

“Oh, come on! Why not? My hooves aren't that dirty, and you guys walk on these weird spit-floors anyway, right?” Rainbow Dash complained, even as she continued to hold out her hoof to be bumped.

Chrysalis stared down the smaller pegasus, evidently trying to will her into moving out of the way.

“I'll hover here all day if I have to. And who knows what Pinkie Pie will be getting up to while-” Rainbow Dash began, only to be interrupted by the tap of a changeling hoof against her own.

“Don't read into that.” Chrysalis said, as she shouldered past Rainbow Dash “I just have no intention of wasting time while your little friend is off spreading havoc amongst my subjects.”

“That's cool.” Rainbow Dash agreed easily, even as she began following the Changeling Queen “But it's not like it was that hard to bump hooves, was it?”

“...Shut-up, and take your book.” Chrysalis ordered, punctuating her words by using her magic to launch the Daring Do novel at the pegasus' head, forcing Rainbow Dash to quickly catch the book.

“You didn't need to throw it at me!” Rainbow Dash complained, before taking note of the prize she held in her hooves “Thanks, though.”

“Ugh, do you ever stop-” Chrysalis began to complain.

“SURPRISE!”

Chrysalis drew to a sudden halt, as she was suddenly covered in various bits of colorful paper.

“...Oh, come on guys! You gotta say surprise too!” A certain pink pony explained to a number of bemused changelings.

A few moments later, the Changeling Queen found herself quickly blinking her eyes, as she had several more hoof-fulls of homemade confetti thrown upon her by her hesitant subjects.

“...S-surprise!” One changeling drone nervously exclaimed.

“Well, I guess that's not so bad for your first try, but we still really need to work on the timing.” A cheerful voice declared.

Twilight noticed the steady twitching of Chrysalis' eye with no small amount of trepidation.

They had managed to find Pinkie Pie.

Author's Note:

Alright. It's late and I'm not sure if my brain is up to telling me if this latest chapter is any good.

Probably go over it tomorrow for editing and tidying it up.

As always, questions and criticism are welcome. I hope everyone enjoys this latest chapter.