• Published 11th Jan 2014
  • 5,362 Views, 1,249 Comments

H'ven Sent - otherunicorn



Sent to investigate a problem in the small spherical world in which she lives, Aneki finds her life in danger.

  • ...
23
 1,249
 5,362

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 44. Hidden Core

Like the floors above, sublevel five also had outer and inner hubs around the core that carried the pipes from the water jacket up to the Mane Way. The core itself contained the major power feeds for the center of the city, control wiring, and liquid gas pipes for emergency regassing of the life support dome. The floors between the layers were made of rigid mesh, allowing one to look down into the dark depths below. The effect was pretty cool when another Hellite entered the shaft a number of floors below. Mostly, we didn't have much need to go in there, as it was one part of Habitat Eleven that had truly been built to last.

The pipes of the water jacket and the wall of the core itself were structural members, built of that same dense material as the suspension platform and outer walls of the habitat itself. That I had consistently blown holes through that material with my weapon was scary. If I wasn't careful, a poorly judged shot could potentially kill every pony in the habitat by puncturing the outer wall.

This trip, however, it wasn't the core itself that was of interest, but rather the equipment that was hidden in the inner hub of sublevel five. The integral security of the habitat would only allow Hellites to enter, much like was the case with so many of the habitat's crucial systems. The integral security system was totally independent from anything ponies or changelings had implemented within the life support chamber. That I was the current queen meant absolutely nothing to the hoof scanners; that I was a Hellite did.

Maisie had discovered this site only the day before, while hunting down sapient computers with the assistance of Briggs, her computer companion she had rescued from the power distribution node. The two were quite a pair, partners even. Maisie still hadn't had a turn in the gender conversion tank, so was one of the few remaining sexless, and it didn't bother her in the slightest. She was happy as she was, more interested in the technical than the domestic. I didn't think she would ever take a stallion. More likely, she would grow to identify with the sapient computers.

Together with Briggs, Maisie had designed a mobile platform to give him a degree of freedom in the real world. Power was supplied by a couple of horns removed from discarded equipment retrieved from the salvage center. Assorted other odds and ends had been used, giving him mobility via wheels, and dexterity via a couple of manipulators fashioned after those Brainstorm had used in their laboratory. He looked nothing like a pony at all, which was fine, because he no longer identified as one, either.

During the day, he was often perched on Maisie's back, helping her with her maintenance tasks. The pair synchronized wonderfully while awake. When Maisie slept, Briggs wandered off to do his own thing, whatever that was. I hadn't asked him for the details. Ponies were now having to get used to strange, black clad Hellites, a small alicorn, and what could best be described as a robot. By the time changelings were revealed, the whole new species thing would be old news.

"Oh, there you are," Maisie said, waving a hoof at me and my entourage. "Cacha, Allie."

"Maisie, Briggs," Cacha returned the greeting. Allie just waved a tiny hoof.

"Okay, Maisie, you have our attention. What is this big surprise you have for us?" I asked.

"We managed to find another sapient computer and set up communications with them," Maisie said. "They told us about some reporting lines that appeared to be too quiet – not a single error in all the years they had been monitoring it, not a glitch, nothing, so we went to investigate."

"And?"

"Somepony had deliberately cut a minor feed, and dummied the reporting system. We needed to get to the core shaft to do the repair, and decided to go in via this floor as it was the closest to the problem. That was when we found this place."

"And the damage?"

"It's been repaired. We aren't sure what it affected exactly, but we think it was something up in the palace. Whatever it was came back online without a problem, anyway. The damage isn't why I brought you here."

Maisie was obviously dodging the question as to the purpose of this visit.

"Okay, so why did you specifically ask me to bring Allie?"

"You will understand the moment you see this," Maisie said. "I expect you will also understand it technically, but Allie will appreciate it on a whole different level."

"Because she is an alicorn?" I asked.

Maisie shook her head. "No. She'll enjoy it because she is a foal."

"I'm a year old now!" Allie objected.

"Don't wish away your foalhood, sweetie," Maisie said. "By the time you are two hundred and thirty one, you'll be wishing it had been a lot longer."

That was revealing! I'd never asked Maisie her age, just assuming it was somewhere near mine. Or had she told me she was some other age? I couldn't remember. Then again, Bittersweet, the oldest of the sexless, didn't look any older than me, either, so judging ages from appearance alone was bound to fail.

"You... are two hundred and thirty one?" I asked.

"Apparently so," she said. "These year-things keep whizzing past despite any action on my part. In rebellion, I have been known to transmit incorrect data when asked, so if I have told you otherwise, please update your memory."

Briggs chuckled.

"Anyway, without further ado, shall we?" Maisie pointed at the hoof scanner by the door.

"Allie, if you would be so kind," I said to my foal.

The miniature pony walked to the scanner, reared up, and placed her hoof on the button within. Allie didn't have fingers. As she was completely adept with her magic, I had decided against using modifiers on her. There was also the slight risk that using modifiers on her may confuse the magical locks, barring us from accessing the alicorn-only areas, and that wasn't a risk we were prepared to take.

"Please wait while your qualifications are verified", the scanner panel voiced, and after a few moments, it spoke again. "Top tier access granted. What is your command?"

"Open the door. Allow all present company to pass through," Allie said.

Immediately, the door began to cycle. We had tested Allie's ability to open doors as soon as she had been capable of understanding what was required of her. From memory, she had only been a few days old at the time. It did not take us long to confirm that she was effectively the master-key to Habitat Eleven. We hadn't gone overboard on using her as such, though. We had other preparations to make before we cracked the doors to the secure areas, and as she would probably need to accompany any pony into such areas, allowing her to mature was deemed necessary.

It didn't mean she couldn't practice on doors we knew were safe.

A beautiful glow formed around the edge of the door as it pulled clear of its recess, attracting my full attention. That was something I hadn't seen before. As the gap grew, a pinkish, amber light spilled out. That wasn't entirely accurate. Pink and amber just seemed to be the dominant colors. Traces of blue, green, violet and red reflected off the polished metal edges of the opening. The whole color spectrum was there.

"Beautiful!" Allie said, bouncing on the spot.

I could feel hints of something more than just visual stimulus. It wasn't just beautiful, it felt wonderful, and the feeling kept increasing the wider the gap got. After an apparent eternity, the door finally got out of the way, and it was all I could do to stop myself rushing in. Allie, however, could not resist, and bolted through the doorway and into the beauty beyond.

"Ah, stuff it," I said. Giving up my dignity, I leapt through the door, after my daughter.

"What's with them?" I heard Cacha ask as they followed us through into the annular chamber.

"This place is magic!" Allie called, as she skittered up to me for a moment, before turning around and bolting off again, following the path beside the outer wall.

Indeed, this place was magic, literally. In concentric rings around the main shaft were rows of racks which carried heavy cables. Those cables split into many lighter wires, each connecting to a glowing unicorn horn that was partially encased in a metal band containing a script. There were rows of hundreds, no, thousands of these glowing horns, each adding its own different color to the mix. The magic was even visible, thinning out the further it got from the horns, becoming invisible before it reached the outer wall. It didn't stop there, though. It permeated through all of Habitat Eleven, supplying magical energy to the myriad of horn-powered items. Every food generator and hoof scanner, even Brainstorm's horn based guns, all of them were powered from here.

"These horns are all acting as energy to magic converters," Maisie said. "They take electricity generated by the main engines, and convert them into a form that the computers and horn based technology can use. You could say that this is the heart of the life support chamber. The outer walls contain a collector system, that channels the magic into the structure of the habitat, using the habitat itself as a giant delivery system."

I didn't answer, instead, starting to move along the path Allie had taken. Moments later, she whizzed past again, and I wasn't even sure her hooves were on the floor. I took after her as fast as I could, not caring if I caught up or not. It was enough to simply enjoy the ecstasy of galloping though the field of magic. It was so invigorating: so empowering. I was almost ready to try flying myself, wings or not.

Soon I had completed a lap, galloping past Cacha and Maisie, catching snippets of their conversation. It seemed they were puzzled by our behavior. Couldn't they feel it? This beauty was more than just a kaleidoscope of colors for the eyes. It went right to the center of my being. Even my internal weapon systems seemed to be resonating to glowing field. I hadn't deployed the thing in anger since I had become the queen. In fact, it had become so forgotten that Allie didn't even know about it. Woohoo! There were that pair of chatterboxes again. What was worrying them? Why weren't they in here running around like... idiots?

For that matter, why was I? Oooh, that magic felt sooo good! Oh, that was it. Cacha and Maisie didn't have horns. Perhaps they simply couldn't feel it. Briggs had horns, but they were only power sources. They weren't tied into his brain, into his soul, like a unicorn's horn was. Did he even have a soul? Or a brain for that matter. I suspected he was nothing more than a neural matrix made from modifiers that had copied the pattern of the original pony brain. Wheee!

This time, as I neared the end of my lap past the rows of glorious glowing, Cacha and Maisie moved to block my path. I stopped running, and slid to a stop before them, not feeling at all exhausted.

"Aneki looks a bit odd," Cacha said. "Aneki? Are you okay? You seem to be wobbly, and glowing."

"I'm a magical being," I responded. "I'm in a room full of concentrated magic. What would you expect?"

Maisie and Cacha both stared at me for a few moments before realization hit them.

"Shit! Sorry! Quick, let's get Aneki and Allie out of there. Where is Allie? Allie? We have to get out of here, now!"

As Cacha and Maisie moved alongside me, one per side, and began guiding me out, an airborne projectile flashed past us, and through the door. I could now see pretty colors coming from out there as well, although that may have just been me seeing things through the overabundance of magic that was surging through me. It was too beautiful in here. It was so empowering... too empowering. I would have trouble convincing myself not to return here!

"Allie? Where are you, now?" I called.

A small glowing creature appeared in the air on the other side of the doorway, little wings flapping madly.

"I'm out here, Ma," she said.

"Good girl."

As Maisie and Cacha guided us away from the door, Briggs reached out from his perch on Maisie's back and hit the door closing button. By the time Maisie and Cacha stopped guiding me, the door was already well on its way to be closed, so Allie and I stood, side by side, watching the shimmering beauty until it was sealed away. As the last colorful rays vanished, and the door locked itself into place, Allie left my side and walked over to the hoof scanner, placing her hoof on it.

"Don't go back in, Allie," I said.

"I won't."

Allie approached the hoof scanner again.

"Please wait while your qualifications are verified", the scanner panel said, and after a few moments, it spoke again. "Top tier access granted. What is your command?"

"While operating, this room is off-limits to all ponies with horns, effective immediately," Allie said. I felt my heart thump, as I realized my daughter was blocking me from ever experiencing this, most beautiful thing again. I knew it was the right thing to do, but... dammit, I wanted to go back in there, to run like I hadn't run since having Allie, through all of that airborne... Oh. It wasn't unlike hitting a cloud of modifiers, was it?

"Acknowledged," the door responded to Allie's commands. "Qualification filters have been adjusted to exclude unicorns, alicorns and fzzxxt. Term unavailable for third species with horns. Please correct input error."

The hoof scanner had detected changelings? Wow.

"Changelings. Members of the third magical species are called changelings," Allie said. "Please reconfirm filter."

"Acknowledged. Qualification filters have been adjusted to exclude unicorns, alicorns and changelings. Are you sure you wish to make this change as it will exclude yourself from entering in future."

"Confirmed," Allie said, and I could hear the regret in her voice.

"Filter confirmed, and now operational," the panel said.

Allie turned from the scanner and walked back towards me. She was still glowing. I lifted a hoof and stared at it. Apparently I was glowing, too. It reminded me of the colored gasses I had fired from my pistol when I first got it from Brainstorm. Perhaps I would have to get that out again.

"Well, that sucked," Allie said, as she snuggled up to me.

"Sorry, so sorry," Maisie said. "I really thought you would like its beauty."

"That we did, Maisie, and I am glad you showed it to us, I think," I said. "Yes, thank you."

"I also thank you," Allie said. "What sucks is that we can't come back here. Locking us out was the hardest thing I have ever had to do, but it had to be done, or..."

"Or what?" Cacha asked.

"Or we would never, ever, leave," I said. "Ever."

"Better than sex, eh?" Maisie asked.

"Beats me! Despite having a foal, I've never tried it!"

"Me either, actually..."

That, at least, broke the tension as we all had a good laugh.

"So," Maisie said, suddenly serious, "You are telling me that you and Cacha haven't done it? I thought you were lovers."

"We are," Cacha and I chorused.

"But it's about our minds, our souls, not about our bodies, well, apart from hugging and being near the one you love," Cacha said. "As long as we are together and can share, we are happy; I am happy, and I hope Aneki is too."

I gave the mare a squeeze. "You are still with me, aren't you? If I wasn't happy, you'd be the first to know, even if I didn't say anything."

Reassured, Cacha returned the squeeze. Her fear of rejection ran deep. Those years as one of the sexless must have been hard on her.

Maisie glanced at the brain box, Briggs, perched on her back. "You know, I think I'm beginning to understand what you are saying."


Three days had passed since our visit to the chamber of ecstasy, and, again, we were going to visit some newly discovered wonder. Our conversation had swung onto the topic of Allie's actions during our last... adventure.

"I'm very proud of you Allie," I told my foal. "That was a very mature thing for you to do. Most adults would struggle with a decision like that, yet here you are at one year old..."

"To be fair to other one year olds, I am mature for my age," Allie said. That was true. Merely hours out of the womb, she had asked to be taught language. Now, in many ways, she was like a teenager. She grasped so many concepts immediately, making teaching her a simple task. I figured it must have been part of her alicorn DNA; I had been clever, but not that clever. I expected in a few years she would be able to outsmart even Brainstorm and Stormie.

She attended classes with the best teachers Habitat Eleven had to offer pony, changeling and unicorn. Often that meant she would be sitting in classes with ponies many times her age, but that did not seem to faze her. The same could not be said of her older classmates the first time they met her. Often, just her appearance was enough to puzzle. After all, the midget had a horn and wings.

Some would try to guide her to foal-care. They usually got such a verbal shake-down they were left reeling. Some would just stand and gape. Some had heard of her through rumors, and quickly realized who they were speaking to, treating her with respect; she wasn't just clever, she was a princess!

While there was always a guard pony somewhere nearby when Allie was out by herself, so far the guard had never needed to intervene as Allie had the ability to avoid or defuse situations, something that would be a very useful skill if she eventually replaced me as the queen of this place, or of wherever we moved to.

For her social development, I made sure she took time to associate with those of her own age. Included in her friendship circle were Mayleen's unicorn filly, a couple of local youngsters and a disguised changeling. Their ages varied, but Allie was the youngest, not that you could tell by watching their behavior. Nonetheless, despite her maturity, Allie did join in with their foalish play. Occasionally Kakuun would join them too.

Other times, Allie and Kakuun would get together to discuss history, and investigate the old writings Kakuun had in her library. Sometimes they just cross referenced what they found with other writings. Sometimes they tried to relate it to the tiny amount of history they had gathered from other sources, mostly word of mouth. Sometimes, like today, they had tried to find something described by the original author. What's more they had succeeded. That was when Allie had come to fetch me.

The throne room, which was where we were heading now, hadn't been used as such since I had blown it up, well over a year ago. The debris had been cleared away, and the structural damage repaired as well as possible, although I suspected the new material would be weaker than the original multidimensional stuff the habitat was made from. Manipulating that material was beyond the ability of any pony without magic, and even I was only any good at cutting it and, presumably, doing basic welds.

Centuries of built-up resin from the changeling nesting habits had also been dislodged from the adjoining rooms and corridors when I blasted the former queen. That resin had also been removed, crushed, and fed to the habitat's recycling system. The result was that the throne room and all areas immediately around it were largely uncluttered, and free of obvious changeling activity, despite it being the middle of their nest.

It being their nest was one of the reasons I had not moved into the royal palace myself. It was the changelings' sanctuary, and while we were now on friendly terms, leaving their safe-place undisturbed was a good political move. It also saved us the effort of trying to find somewhere else suitable for them to live. Finding somewhere else for myself to live was a lot easier. I wasn't particularly fussy about it, and had little care or use for fripperies, royal or not. I didn't even wear a crown.

Arriving at the closed double doors to the throne room, I tidied my hair, adjusted my Cacha, then pushed the doors open with my magic. Hey, it was the throne room after all! I had to present myself as well as possible, even if it was empty; even if, in theory, it should be me residing in there.

There was a queen in there, after all: a changeling queen. She was wearing a crown, a funny little black thing with four fine peaks, each topped with a small ball that matched her natural hair color. Actually, I wasn't sure if it was a crown or natural royal plumage. She always wore it when in her natural form.

"Kakuun," I acknowledged her.

"Ah, good, Aneki, Cacha. Allie brought you. I'm glad you came. This is quite interesting. We would not have even realized it was there, if it hadn't reacted to Allie while we were playing."

"You were playing in the throne room?" I asked.

"Yes. Lots of space to run and fly about!" Kakuun said. And here I had been thinking they might have been playing at being royalty. Then again, they were royalty, so they didn't need to pretend.

"It's over there," Allie said, pointing a hoof at the wall to our left.

Over there was a plain, boring wall, much like any other plain, boring wall, cream in color, of course.

"Watch!" Allie said, trotting away from us. As she neared the wall, I caught the hint of a glowing outline that I immediately dismissed as an optical illusion, reassessing my conclusion moments later as the glow intensified. One by one, brilliant points formed on each of the glowing outlines, spreading, tracing hidden lines until it formed the image of an intricate arch drawn entirely of light.

"It's very pretty, but what exactly does it represent?" Cacha asked.

"It's a door," Allie and Kakuun said together.

Allie took two paces forward, vanishing through the arch outlined on the wall. The glow remained, so I bounded after her, hearing the hoofsteps of Cacha and Kakuun scurrying to catch up. Once through the arch, I felt disorientated, and Cacha running into my butt didn't help. I staggered forward a couple of steps then regained my composure.

The ambient lighting was lower than it had been in the throne room, but bright enough for the unaugmented to see, even read, without difficulty. The room was equally wide as it was tall, and about four times as deep: not particularly spacious, but with more than enough room for a single pony to find it cozy, but not cramped. In retrospect, it wasn't that different in size to the main room of a standard sized apartment, out in the city.

The far end featured an elaborate, although worn, bed set into an alcove. To either side was a door, both closed. The side walls were lined with shelves covered in knickknacks and personal memorabilia, tapestries depicting ponies of old, and events significant to them, and books, lots of books. No doubt those books would be interesting reading, be they fiction or fact, but far more intriguing was the book sitting on the pedestal in the center of the room, a pillar of light spotlighting it.

That's right, the book was sitting there, gloriously lit in the same manner as in those tacky bedtime stories about secret spells and hidden rooms.

"This is somepony's private sanctuary," Cacha said.

"The original queen's, no doubt. With hidden access to the throne room, she could enter and leave as she desired, and once in here, no pony but her daughter would be able to access her. The perfect place to get away from politics," I said.

Kakuun moved to the illuminated pedestal, and began reading what was written on the open page.

"For the first time in many years, I actually have something to write. As I wrote those hundreds, no, thousands of years ago, what was meant to be my mother's private retreat became my prison. Why she locked me in here, I still cannot fathom, even all these centuries later. Of course, my memories of the event have faded and distorted with time, so even considering it now is a waste of time.

"But I drift from my intention. Suddenly my incarceration is over. The archway has been powered. The door can be opened. I am free.

"Yet, I sit here writing in my diary. What is it like out there? Do I want to know? Would I survive, or would I be killed the moment I step through the arch. Is my mother, Princess Moon Glow still angry at me? Is she even alive?

"I do not know what I should do. Perhaps, I shall remain here for the time being. I shall wait to see if my mother comes through the arch, herself."

When Kakuun finished reading in her odd, dual voice, we stood staring at each other. In all likelyhood, this diary was written by the same pony that had written the others, in Kakuun's library.

"Poor, deluded princess," Cacha muttered. "All these years, and she thought it was her mother who had turned against her."

"I feel guilt, by association," Kakuun said.

"Is it the same pony that wrote the ancient writings?" I asked.

Kakuun nodded, turning the books so she could see its cover. "I think so. The writing has some similarities. Again, she has left no name on the book." She placed the book down, again. "But she has left dates..."

"When was that last entry made?" Allie asked.

"It was ... three days ago," Kakuun said.

We all stared at her in disbelief.

"So, for the obvious question, where is she, right now?", I asked.


Author's Note:

Please PM me with any errors you find.

PreviousChapters Next