• Published 19th Dec 2013
  • 711 Views, 42 Comments

The Crowded Library - SuperGiantRobot



A collection of my stories from Thirty Minute Pony Stories,

  • ...
2
 42
 711

The Start of a New Day

The alarm gently rang and I reached a hoof over to silence it.

"Puddin’…" I whispered to the lightly sighing mare beside me, "It’s time to get up…"

She mumbled slightly and rolled over. I smiled - my wife sometimes needed a bit of persuasion to wake up. I leaned forward and nibbled the back of her neck in that way she likes and was rewarded with a quiet moan followed by a chuckle. She rolled back again and gave me a nuzzle. “You always know how to wake a girl up, gingersnap.”

"What can I say? I've had years of practice, " I replied as she sits up and stretches. The sunlight through the curtain shines on her just the right way as her back arches.

Celestia's sun, Cup even stretches beautifully.

She blinks the sleep from her eyes as I leave our bedroom to go check on the twins. I hear them giggling, followed by a third giggle punctuated with a small snort.

Pinkie’s on the job, I see.

I don’t know how she does it but she always seems to be up and there to greet them a few seconds before they wake up. Pound and Pumpkin absolutely adore her, and waking up to her bright smile brings smiles to their faces in turn. I stepped into their room and Pinkie broke off from playing with the twins. Pound and Pumpkin’s eyes lit up and they greeted me with gurgles as they crawled over to me and hugged my forelegs, followed by a hug from Pinkie.

"Foals present and accounted for, sir! Pumpkin went boom-boom, but has been cleaned, powdered and re-diapered sir! ” She gave her morning report with a serious look on her face and a salute, which she held for about three seconds before dissolving into giggles.

"Keep up the good work, Captain Pie," I replied with a grin and a shake of my head. "You’re doing us proud!"

I headed to the bathroom and turned the taps of the shower until the room was filled with just the right amount of steam. I stepped in and began humming happily. A few moments later the door opened and my wife slipped into the shower alongside me. Cup and I often shower together to save hot water, but sometimes we do it to ‘save hot water’. We generally come out of those showers a bit pinker than usual.

Today, however, it was just a typical shower - we had a bakery to open, after all.

Tonight, however...

Cup scrubbed my back, I scrubbed hers, we toweled off and headed downstairs.

I flipped the sign in the window to 'Open', opened the front door and took a deep breath of the morning air. I looked up into the clear blue summer sky and felt a peck on my cheek as my wife trotted to the front counter. I took another breath of air, waved to passing ponies and joined my wife behind the counter, who sidled up beside me and laid her head on my shoulder.

I smiled and waited for the first of the day’s customers to arrive.

Yes, I think today is going to be pretty good.