• Published 19th Dec 2013
  • 711 Views, 42 Comments

The Crowded Library - SuperGiantRobot



A collection of my stories from Thirty Minute Pony Stories,

  • ...
2
 42
 711

A Hunnert Years Old Today

A hunnert years old.

Grace of Celestia, whoda thunk it? Me, a hunnert years old. Why it seems like only yesterday my son married and blessed my home and life with two granddaughters and a grandson.

Proudest day of my life when he an’ his wife (Celestia rest their hard-working souls) paid call with their little colt Macintosh. ‘This is your granny’, he said, and Mac looked up at me with those big green eyes and smiled and I smiled back. He was just as quiet then as he is now. Wonderful child, hard worker and polite as you could ever ask. Never was much the talkin’ sort, even to me, but he loves his Granny just the same, so that’s good enough fer me.

Ain’t so little now, ‘course, but I’ll always see him as that little red bundle of joy.

A few years later I was graced with the first of my granddaughters, Applejack. Feisty little thing, even as a filly. Never backed down from a challenge, even to her dismay an’ never told a single lie nor fib. Macintosh adored her – he was always there for his ‘li’l sis’ an’ he helped me raise her and raise her right.

There was that little stint where she ran off to Manehattan, but she was back soon enough after seein’ the error of her ways. Didn’t get angry at her, neither. She was young and needed to get it out of her system. Sow her wild oats. Dare say I probably had a time like that myself when I were little.

My goodness that was so long ago.

And then came my second granddaughter, Apple Bloom. A lot like her sister: a hard worker with a bit of zip to her. She n’Applejack have taken to making games of their chores, much like Mac did with her. Not quite so sure about her taste in friends, them ‘Cutie Mark Commandos’, or whathaveyou, but I figger she just needs to get it outta her system like with her big sister. I ain’t gonna judge.

Little sprout’s quite upset about not having her ‘mark, of course, and I can understand it: seems all of us Apples are…slow bloomers. Heh. Someday it’ll happen, and I hope I’m there to see it.

Naturally, most of the family are here: well close to a hunnert, which is kinda ‘propriate. An’ of course all Ponyville knows ‘bout it, too. Quite a feat, reachin’ an age such as mine.

Applejack’s friends arrived, nicest bunch of fillies you’re ever likely to meet and the best friends one could ever hope to be blessed with: kind, considerate, loyal, an’ friendly. Couple of ‘em are kinda rough ‘round the edges, but ain’t nobody perfect.

An’ that’s all right. Sometimes, not being perfect makes you perfect.

Pinkie came a-bouncin’ in a short time after the others, pullin’ a cart with the best Sugarcube Corner has to offer an’ trailin’ a hunnert balloons behind her, like ducks followin’ their momma - cupcakes tied to the strings of each of them. Just enough for all the family an’ her friends. Dunno how she does it, the clever little filly. S’like she’s got the magic. Maybe she' got some unicorn in her. Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

A hunnert years old. My stars. Wonder what’ll happen on my two hunnert birthday?

Heh.