• Published 7th Dec 2013
  • 813 Views, 11 Comments

To be a Guard - Flora Spectrum



A short story telling the tale of how Cerulean Blaze became the first mare to join the Royal Guard.

  • ...
2
 11
 813

Cerulean Blaze

Cerulean Blaze had always been different growing up. It was not her simple white coat, scarlet mane, or sky blue eyes that made her different, but something else. Growing up, there was always something special about Cerulean Blaze.

As a newborn foal, she could fly like all the other newborn pegasi, and had to be retaught when older. When she was a filly, she attended Jr. Flight Camp and witnessed a pink and yellow filly being bullied by three colts. However, as she went to intervene, a rainbow maned pegasus did, only to later kick their flanks in a race and perform a sonic rainboom. However, she didn’t care about the sonic rainboom, nor the race. She only cared about that small act of stepping in and getting between the bullies and the timid pegasus. It was at the moment Cerulean Blaze realized she wanted to protect others.

She had flown home to tell her parents, and they simply brushed it off with, “that’s nice sweetie. Now go play, dinner will be ready in a few minutes.”

Towards the end of summer, only two weeks before she would start school again, Cerulean earned her cutiemark. She had been flying above Cloudesdale like she did most days, weather permitting of course, when she heard a scream from below. Her eyes zoned in on an alleyway to see a young colt being chased by three colts her age.

As she flew down and hovered above the four, she noticed the pegasus colt being chased running instead of flying like his three pursuers. She lowered herself and slammed into the tan colt who bumped into his two friends. As the three collided and crashed, she landed and the colt halted.

“You okay?” she asked the young colt who held a surprisingly angry appearance.

“I’m fine!” he spat with a glare as he stormed out of the alleyway. “I don’t need some filly to protect me!”

As he made his way back out onto the street, Cerulean Blaze rolled her eyes and muttered, “ungrateful punk.” As she spread her wings and began to lift herself up, she heard a voice call to her from below.

“Hey!”

She looked down to see the tan colt standing while his two friends detangled themselves in order to join him. “Just who do you think you are?”

“My name is Cerulean Blaze,” she called down with a smirk, “and if I hear of you bullying anypony else, we’re going to have a nice chat.”

She had flown off and returned home to her room only to stop at her reflection. Resting on her flank was a crimson shield adorned with a blue flame. She couldn’t have been prouder of herself. She wanted to protect ponies, and she proved she could do it no matter how ungrateful they were in the end.

On the first day of school, the teacher asked everypony what they wanted to be when they grew up. Her classmates answered, wonderbolt, teacher, or even weather pony, but when called upon, Cerulean Blaze answered, “I want to be in the Royal Guard.

Her classmates laughed at her and tan bully, who she personally deemed to be stupid, yelled, “Mares can’t be in the Royal Guard!”

“Says who?” Cerulean yelled back with a hint of fire in her eyes.

The teacher quickly diffused the situation before a fight could ensue before adding, “There is no law against mares being in the Royal Guard, and everypony has the right to be whatever he or she wants.”

She had gone home and told parents about her future occupation, which only caused an argument. Her dad simply shook his head, but her mother was in fits.

“A Royal Guard?” her mother cried, “No Cerulean! That is not befitting of a lady! Why don’t you want to be something else?”

“Like what?” Cerulean asked with a slight attitude. She knew her mother hated the few times she talked back with an attitude, but she didn’t particularly care at the moment.

“Why don’t you be something creative like an artist or a musician?”

“Because my talent is protecting other ponies!”

“So be a doctor!” her mother cried back in what almost appeared to a begging like tone.

“It’s not the same!”

Cerulean had run to her room and cried. It was that night she swore to herself never to bring the topic up again with her parents, especially her mother. However, despite her parents’ disapproval, she began to train herself.

Everyday afterschool she would spend her afternoons training in flight maneuvers or spear combat. Since she could never get her hooves on an actual spear, she settled for broomsticks.

The following year, Celestia held her Summer Sun Celebration in Cloudesdale. After Celestia raised the sun, Cerulean ran to the princess only to be stopped by two guards. Celestia raised a hoof and the guards released their hold allowing her to approach the princess.

“Hello my little pony,” the sun princess greeted with a smile, “might I ask your name?”

Cerulean gave a short nod before locking eyes with the princess with a look of determination and stating, “My name is Cerulean Blaze and one day I’m going to be part of your Royal Guard.”

Some of the guards smirked, and others smiled as if to say, “Aw isn’t she cute?” But Cerulean wasn’t cute, she was fierce, and so she ignored them.

Celestia lowered herself to Cerulean’s level and whispered, “Go for it.”

From then on, Cerulean doubled her after school training. She would return home after dark only to eat dinner, do her homework, and go to bed. She was on speaking terms with her parents, but she could always feel a slight strain in her relationship with her mother.

After being accepted into cadet school, her mother slowly came to terms with reality. However, her mother insisted on teaching her how to properly wear makeup before leaving.

“Mom!” she protested as her eyelashes were brushed with a black substance, “I’m going to be a cadet not a model!”

“I know dear,” she said as she brushed her other eye’s lashes, “but you’re the first mare in ages to become a cadet! I don’t think Equestria’s had mare guards since the three tribes united! When photographers come to take your picture I want you to look your best!”

Cerulean had rolled her eyes and allowed her mother to continue as well as put makeup in her bag. While she would never admit it to anypony, she secretly like the mascara just a tiny bit. She didn’t mind the makeup as long as it looked natural and not weird.

The first few weeks of cadet school were the most annoying to say the least. Several of the other cadets found it amusing to whistle as she passed by or greet her with perverted comments. However, she always rolled her eyes and smirked as another cadet would jump his case for being an idiot. As the weeks passed, she didn’t need other cadets to stick up for her as she outscored and outmatched each one in tests and combat practice.

When she received her armor, she had been eager to try it on. After she fastened each piece, the armor’s enchantment activated. She watched in the mirror as her mane and tail shorted and colored to a traditional blue and her eyes altered to an amber all while keeping her mare-ish figure. She trotted off to find one of the few friends she had made when a distinct whistle stopped her. She turned to find a cadet surrounded by his friends looking at her.

“Dang Cerulean,” he said as he eyes moved slowly to appreciate her figure, only to stop on her flank much to her disgust before adding, “you’re looking pretty hot in that armor.”

“Yeah, too bad it doesn’t have the same effect for you, Quick Spear.” As she continued on her path, she left him there dumbfounded much to the amusement of his friends.

Her parents attended her graduation and watched as she graduated top of her class. Thankfully, her mother had perfected her mane, tail, and make up before the ceremony, as there were countless photographers there.

Cerulean had served beside Captain Shining Armor himself and protected Canterlot during the royal wedding, the second one of course where everything went according to plan, but lately she was stationed in Canterlot’s Castle, either at the entrance or in one of the Princesses’ courts. It seemed whenever she served at the entrance, a filly would run up to her and tell her that she was going to join the Royal Guard just like her. It was at these times, Cerulean Blazed smiled the brightest and gave them a single piece of advice.

Go for it.

Author's Note:

Just a short idea I came up with. Comment below and tell me what you think!

Comments ( 11 )

The feels... :fluttercry:

So bootyful! :raritycry:

3591652 thanks! You gotta love them feels!

3591507thanks! I'm glad you liked it!

I thought this is going to lead somewhere but nope this is it this is just the story. it okay I guess. I know that the moral of the story is you can do whatever you want to and don't let anybody tell you "you can't"
but do you have to emphasize on that every sentence

3593275No I didn't have to, but this is just sort of how the words flowed from my brain and onto the page :twilightsheepish:

3594380
Lol I understand, that's how I am with my song writing you get a idea in your head and you run wild with it.

3594749 Lol that's how I am with writing, songwriting, designing, and pretty much every other creative thing I do :rainbowlaugh:

Login or register to comment