• Published 22nd Nov 2013
  • 345 Views, 17 Comments

Making Music - kenben12



Vinyl scratch misses Octavia, until she meets a strangely similar looking pony by the name of Fiddlesticks.

  • ...
4
 17
 345

Chapter 1

What was the great DJ Pon 3 doing at a backwards hick town like Appleloosa? Vinyl wondered to herself as she sat down at the only saloon (They didn't have any clubs go figure.). Truth was things hadn't gone great for Equestria's greatest DJ Sure she played Princess Cadence's wedding which was great but after that all she could get was small gigs. The only reason she could get this job was because they thought it'd bring in tourist who didn't like “Their kind of music.” Vinyl Scratch sighed as she took another drink of apple cider (At least they could make a good apple cider.). She wondered about how Octavia's performance was going. She and Tavi had been going steady for a while now, ever since they played a small gig together. Due to a scheduling mishap and a band member injury, Octavia and DJ Pon 3 had to perform on stage together. It worked nice and after that they wrote letters and it just snowballed from there. It was hard though, Octavia's band was quite famous and went on tours a lot leaving Vinyl feeling both lonely and inferior. She wasn't jealous, it just motivated her to catch up to Tavi but she wished she could see her marefriend more than once every few weeks at best. The crowed clapped cheerfully as the singer bowed and left the stage. He was okay maybe even decent but his performance barely made Vinyl move an eyebrow. Octavia he was not.

“Woo whee! Now how good was that folks?” The announcer tried to pump the crowd and except for Vinyl who was absorbing apple cider like water and inhaling self pity like air, it was working. “Now we have a special treat for you guys. The local legend herself, Appleloosa's own Fiddlesticks.”

The crowd went crazy for their hometown hero. As the green mare took the stage Vinyl went crazy for another reason. From hoof to hair the fiddle playing singer looked exactly like Octavia! Vinyl convinced she was seeing things, rubbed her eyes and put her glasses back on and off but no matter what she tried the Apple family member looked as if she could be Tavi's twin. The only thing convincing her otherwise was the music- as Octavia was strictly classical this “Fiddlesticks” was playing hardcore country. She was trotting back and fourth and pumping the crowd. Her music had an effect on Vinyl as well, all the music she heard today was bland and the musicians were two dimensional, but she was different, her music seemed to touch Vinyl the same way Tavi's classical could. Vinyl knew she was true musician who cared more about the music than about money or fame. Vinyl was mesmerized by her song and it touched her in a special spot that scratched her musical itch. When the song ended everypony went into a standing ovation, clapped, cheering, whistling, some even threw flowers on stage...Vinyl simply nodded. Fiddlesticks left the stage and Vinyl left the saloon, she didn't want any other pony's music to delude the beat that Fiddlesticks left. As Vinyl left the bar she heard a mare's voice from behind.

“Ya DJ Pon 3 right?” Vinyl turned around expecting to see a typical fan looking for an autograph or a request but fell shocked and silent when she saw it was Fiddlesticks.

“Uh yeah? What's up?” Vinyl couldn't explain the tightness in her chest. Maybe it was just her need for Tavi.

“Ah listened to your song earlier. Ah thought your concert was a hoot and a half.” Fiddlesticks laughed. “Even if the rest a us didn't really like it too much...” Fiddlesticks leaned in and whispered in Vinyl's ear. “Ah kinda like that poppy music.”

Vinyl quickly pulled away, her face was hot even against the cool autumn night. “Th-thanks.” Why was she so flustered? It had to be the Tavi resemblance. She'd have to get out of here now before something happens.

“Did Ah say something wrong?” Fiddlesticks asked observing Vinyl behavior.

“No no! I just-I just don't like people getting to close to me...except my marefriend Octavia.” Why did she mention Tavi? She had nothing to do with this. She was getting to Vinyl. “I liked your music as well.” Vinyl squeaked out before turning and leaving.

Vinyl plopped down on her hotel bed and tried to not think about Octavia or Fiddlesticks a.k.a. Octavia 2. It was too late to catch the train home so she had to spend even more of her dwindling pay for this cheap, plain hotel room. If it wasn't for her keyboard and sample music she would've died of boredom. She sat down and played the classical tracks that she was working on for a special gift to Octavia for when she comes back from tour. She was so lost into her music she barely heard the knock on the door. Shutting down her stuff she quickly headed to the door. She peeked into the eye hole and lost her breathe when she saw who it was.

“Uh may Ah come in?” Fiddlesticks said shyly when Vinyl slowly opened the door.

“How did you know this was my hotel room?” Vinyl replied, stepping aside to let Fiddlesticks in.

“Ah was worried since you took off so fast an all. So Ah decided to check in on ya. When your an outsider staying in an Appleloosa hotel word travels fast.”

“I'm fine. You can go now.” Vinyl looked at the ground, she didn't want to be so mean but she couldn't look at her face- not Tavi's face.

“Did Ah do something wrong?” Fiddlesticks placed a hoof on Vinyl's shoulder who in turn just shrugged it off.

“No it's just...it's just...well look!” Vinyl levitated a picture of Octavia to Fiddlesticks' face.

“Who's that?” Fiddlesticks asked, feeling like it was a picture of her with different colored coat.

“That's Tavi. My mare friend. We haven’t talked to each other in weeks since she went on tour. So you see why I've been so cold to you.” Vinyl felt bad about her behavior.

“Yeah Ah could see how it would be a tad awkward but Ah'm not your Tavi. Ah'm Fiddlesticks.” Fiddlesticks bowed as she said her name in a joking way which made Vinyl laugh. “So your marefriend is a musician? What kinda music she play?”

“Classical.” Vinyl answered.

“Ah don't really like that fancy smancy classical music very much.”

“Me either but it touches me in a certain way. Kind of like your music.” Vinyl instantly regretted that last part.

“So mah music touches you does it?” Fiddlesticks grinned as Vinyl groaned.

“Yes but don't get the wrong idea!” Vinyl started to feel flustered.

“Ah'm not getting any ideas but from that look on ya's face Ah'd say ya getting a pretty good one.” Fiddlesticks trotted over to Vinyl sample set up.

“Hey don't touch that!” Vinyl went to her set up.

“Ah wouldn't know how ta use all this stuff anyway. But why don't ya show me how it works.” Fiddlesticks smiled innocently at Vinyl.

“Well...I guess a song or too wouldn't hurt.” Vinyl started to play the song she was making for Octavia. “Tell me what you think of this.”

After listening to the song for a few minutes Fiddlesticks picked up her fiddle and started to play in beat to the song. “It's good an all but instead of classical Ah think some country would do the trick.” Vinyl wanted to protest but the song was good with the country tune. Vinyl started to play her keyboard with Fiddlesticks completely forgetting the sample and for a brief moment Tavi. They kept playing for while until they fell onto each other laughing. When they had settled down Vinyl looked Fiddlesticks in her eyes and without thinking gave her a kiss. She pulled back when she realized what she had done.

“I think you should go.” Vinyl said blushing. Fiddlesticks went to touch her shoulder but Vinyl just shrugged it off and so Fiddlesticks dropped her head and left the room in silence. That's the second time Vinyl had kissed someone who left them in silence. She crawled into bed and tried to forget about tonight.

Vinyl Scratch was at a concert. The audience wasn't cheering or dancing or anything. They were just sitting and listening. On stage, in the middle of the spotlight was Octavia, but Vinyl was too far away to hear the music or see the instrument clearly. She ran towards the stage but as she got closer she noticed that Octavia's gray coat was now green and when she heard the music it wasn't classical...but country.

“Howdy Vinyl.” Fiddlesticks said. “Ah'm mighty glad you could make it tonight.”

“I wouldn't miss it for anything.” Vinyl went up onto the stage and kissed Fiddlesticks.

Vinyl woke up in a cold sweat. Was that a dream? It felt so real...so real and terrible. Why was she feeling this way towards a pony she just met? She was always faithful to Tavi so why now? One thing was certain, she had to leave tomorrow and get as far away from Fiddlesticks as possible.

Morning came fast on Appleloosa and Vinyl could hear ponies hard at work before the sun was even up. Typical. She threw herself out of bed and packed up her things to catch the first train back home...back to Octavia. She walked out the door and saw a saddened Fiddlesticks outside her door.

“Howdy...” Fiddlesticks said leaving her words in the air to see Vinyl's reaction.

“Hey...” Vinyl replied. “Know most people I kick out of my hotel room don't come back.”

“Yeah, Ah reckon Ah'm either a fool or too stubborn to know when done is done.” Fiddlesticks said so softly it was almost a whisper. “Ah just wanted to check on ya and all. See that you reach your train. safely.”

“That's nice of you. And about last night, I'm sorry I kicked you out it's just kinda weird with you looking like Octavia.”

“Ah done told you, Ah'm not Octavia!” Fiddlesticks replied offended and being compared to another mare who stole her face.

“I know, I know. Last night I realized you weren't Octavia when we played together last night. I have fun playing with her but she's very uptight. You can let loose and have a blast.”

“Well us Apple folks can party with the best of 'em.” Fiddlesticks laughed. “So...when ya kissed me last night, was that me or 'Tavi'?”

“I'm still trying to figure that out, but she's my marefriend and I'm loyal to her.” Vinyl said knowing it was final between her and Fiddlesticks.

“Yeah loyalty is good, It's something us folks had learned to cherish. Ah just wished we'd had more time together. This place is mah home but it can get mighty boring around here and you really made me happy for the first time since mah Apple family reunion. Ah reckon this is it?” Fiddlesticks didn't wanna hear the answer she knew all too well. Before Vinyl could reply, the question was interrupted by a mail pony who delivered a letter to Vinyl and left. Vinyl opened the seal and unraveled the letter.

Dear Vinyl Scratch

I heard you were in Appleloosa for a day or two so I hope this letter reaches you. If not, I sent a second one to your house but I hope you read this one since I don't want you to go home expecting to see me and read the letter instead. Truth is...and it pains me to say this but I'm not coming back home. I never told you this but there's been...this pony. She's been showing up at my concerts for about a year now and at first I thought she was just some stalker and didn't want you to worry. After a while though, She was charming and sweet. I started to have feelings for her and we started dating. I'm so so so very sorry but she asked me to move in with her. I will always treasure the moments we had but...well I guess this is goodbye. You probably hate me and if it helps I hate myself. She stole my heart and I broke yours, not very fair but this is how it is. Please forgive me?

Your’s truly,

Vinyl couldn't read the name because her tears had blurred the ink. She was uncontrollably sobbing now. Her chest hurt so bad it made her think that her tears were pieces of her broken heart leaving her. They had been together for a long time and everything was great. So how could she lie to her?? How could she hurt her?? How could she...how could she...

Vinyl felt her glasses pulled onto her face and herself being pulled into a hug by Fiddlesticks. The two sat there for what seemed like hours just holding each other. Finally when the last tear fell from Vinyl's face, Fiddlesticks wiped her tears away and smiled gently at her. Vinyl hated to see a face similar to Octavia's right now but it wasn't Octavia's face it was Fiddlesticks.

“Thanks.” Vinyl barely managed to squeak out trying to hold back a sob.

“That's what Ah'm here for.” Fiddlesticks smiled. “Ah may not know what goin on but Ah can see your hurtin and I hate to see ponies Ah like hurtin.”

“Octavia...broke up with me.” It was so painful Vinyl Scratch could barely say it. “Turns out she had been cheating on me while on tour...Celestia, I'm so stupid.”

“Ya not stupid, ya just carin'. She couldn’t see that and it's her loss cuz Ah like you.” Fiddlesticks touched Vinyl's shoulder but this time Vinyl didn't shake her off.

“I...I think I like you too but I just can't right now.” Vinyl turned to head off and catch the train. “But let's play music together again sometime, after all it does sound better with some country.”

Before Vinyl could react once again her and Fiddlesticks lips met. “Ah told ya. Ah'd love to play again sometime...just don't kick me out after we kiss.” Fiddlesticks laughed as she watched a blushing and distraught Vinyl Scratch walk away.

Vinyl called over her shoulder “We'll see.”

Comments ( 17 )

Right away, your story description needs to be fixed. There needs to be a few capitalization's and some correct punctuation marks.

Right away, somepony doesn't even read the story, they just speak about the grammar... I like your story so far, friend.

3522582
Yes but the purpose of a description is to catch your audience's eye and draw them in. A description with errors is going to draw a negative crowd. The faster it's fixed, the better off he'll be.

3522591
That is true, but I was drawn in all the same. Does that make me negative? Does that make you negative? I thought not.

3522601
You and I don't represent the entire scope of this website. You cannot say that just because you and I aren't negative people doesn't mean that others who are won't be drawn in. And just because I'm not negative doesn't mean I won't sternly critique a story.

3522628
I think that he/she knows now. But sometimes somepony writes a story for the good of those who would care to read it. Personally, I don't care who reads my story or if they like it or not. I put it there because I felt like it. I'll admit, I don't have a single error in the grammar, but then again, it's the way I write.

3522648
That's all fine and dandy, but the fact remains that these are simple errors, things a spell check program could catch in a heartbeat. It's not like an entire re-write of the story is necessary on account of grammar or anything, but a once over to catch these things goes a long way into making your story look attractive to readers.

3522677
Ok, then you tell him. I'm not an editor, so it's not my problem that they can't write the correct form of to/too/two, but I just check for basic story components.

3522685
I never said it was. I mentioned that he need to clean things up a bit and defended the importance of a good description, that's it.

3522815
Thanks for the feedback. yeah I was a little tired when I posted it cuz I was just off work. So description aside what were my mistakes in the story? (I know I made grammar errors but I'm bad at catching them and my spell and grammar check doesn't either.)

Very nice story. I'd like to read more installments of this path choice. I wasn't paying attention to any of the grammatical errors. Got sucked in about a third of the story in.

3526121

Thanks. yeah I need help with grammar. wasn't too sure about the ending tho I wanted to convey she liked Fiddlesticks but was still getting over Octavia. I think it seems like she recovers too fast

3526131

I guess one way to fix that is if you make another story continuing this to state that a lot of time had passed before Vinyl and Fiddlesticks meet up again.

Your ending was by no means bad or anything but I must agree with you. vinyl got over the break up a wee bit to easily. But this did not ruin the story for me. It was rather easy to over look for me.

3526206
Yeah I suppose in hindsight I could've put an epilogue part in there so she could just leave without saying anything to Fiddlesticks than had a small section with her getting over Octavia. I might do another Fiddle/Vinyl story.

>>kenben12

I hope you do decide to write another story continuing this.

I`m working on my own at the moment. Though mine going to involve most, if not all, the characters over quite a few chapters.

Good luck at any forthcoming stories you have planned.:moustache:

3526425
Thanks but I need to find a proofreader. no ifea how to tho

>>kenben12

If you haven't looked at the group page heres a link
http://www.fimfiction.net/group/27/the-proofreader-group

It has instructions on how hire them.

If you would like some help with that PM me and I'll try my best to helop.
I got the jist of how to do it now.

Login or register to comment