• Published 21st Nov 2013
  • 2,747 Views, 149 Comments

Then We'll Run - maxxxxxx



We'll run. We'll run so we can be together, so we can be safe. We'll run so I dont have to feel that pain in real life.

  • ...
20
 149
 2,747

Moonlit walks

Twilight stood at the entrance to the cave, watching the last glimmer of sunlight disappear beyond the horizon and the first stars began to dot the dark blue sky.

“Twi, It's about time to go.” Dash walked up and stood beside her. Twilight continued to stare into the sky.

“Dashie, what are we going to do?”

“You know the plan. We go to Appaloosa, then head south to the badlands.”

“But then what? We just keep hiding and running forever?” Dash knew Twilight was right but what else could they do?

“Do we have another option?” Twilight leaned on Rainbow Dash, resting her head on her neck.

“I think we do. I think, If we devote ourselves to helping others and proving that our feelings are true maybe everypony will see that just because we love each other doesn't make us bad. I think we can make everyone see that we're just the same as them.” Dash smiled. Twilight, that's one of the things I love most about you. You can always see the good in everypony and you have real faith in ponies. She rested her head on top of Twilight's and they watched the last of the sunlight fade away together.

“I think that's a good idea.”
**************************************************************************************************

They quietly made their way down the mountain and into the dark forest below. The night air was crisp but the sky was completely devoid of clouds, allowing the bright light of the full moon to guide them. Twilight couldn't help but think how comforting the moon felt after what Princess Luna had done for them, and in contrast, how the bright sun made her feel uneasy, as though Celestia's gaze was burning into them everyday, every second. As they reached the forest floor the sounds of the night washed over them, crickets chirping, leaves rustling and night birds cooing and hooting. Twilight and Rainbow Dash walked side by side so close they were brushing up against each other with every step.

“Hey Rainbow Dash?”

“What's up Twi? The forest creeping you out? We can hold hooves if you want.” Twilight was about to tell her that there was no reason she would be scared, after all she wasn't a foal, but then she noticed Dash looking nervously around her. Her ears twitched at every sound, and with each sound that she couldn't identify she pressed closer to Twilight. She smiled and wrapped her tail around hers.

“We aren't flying Dashie, if we hold hooves it will be hard to walk. Don't worry, I wont let anything happen to you.” Twilight nuzzled Dash's cheek.

“I-I don't know what you're talking about, I'm not scared.” She said nervously, tightening her tail around Twilight's.

“I know, I know. You're Rainbow Dash! You don't get scared.” She giggled.

“You're right I don't!” She spoke with a flash of false bravado, one that quickly gave way to more tender feelings. “At least, not when I have you around. Because then, the only thing I'm really scared of isn't happening...” Dash looked deeply into Twilight's eyes, her words bringing them to a complete stop in the middle of the dark woods. The pale light of the full moon bathed the Twilight in a shimmering silver glow, Dash could not help but notice how beautiful she looked at that moment. Her visage only made more potent the feelings of the time when Dash was unable to wake Twilight from her sleep. It had shaken her greatly. It was the most frightening thing she had ever gone through and she had to go through it alone, completely helpless.

“Dashie...” It was all she could think to say once she saw see the deep pain, the unbound fear in her marefriend's eyes, and in their reflection, she saw the painful sense of guilt in her own eyes. Meanwhile Rainbow Dash's thoughts swallowed her fears, It was selfish of her to make Twilight worry more than she already had. Twilight has enough to worry about. She lost her her teacher, her friends and her home home. Losing her brother nearly put her in a coma and this is all my fault! I have to be strong for her. I can't let her feel guilty for my mistakes and I can't let her see that I'm in pain anymore. I can't lean on her when she needs to lean on me.

“I'm sorry Twi, forget I said anything. I was just..” As though Twilight could see right through Dash, right into her thoughts. She brought her hooves around Dash's neck, brushing her soft rainbow mane, and pulled her into a tender, loving kiss, Dash could feel the passion and empathy behind the gentle movements of her soft, warm lips. With that, the wall Dash had built up since they landed in the cave was blown away. Tears began to flow. She felt sad, angry, lonely and scared all at once.

“Twilight, Twilight... I was so scared.. I thought I lost you and.. and I-it was all my fault!” She poured out her anxiety and sadness into her loved one's shoulder. As Rainbow Dash had done so many times for her, Twilight pulled dash close with her wings, wrapping her in her warm down. She gently rubbed the length of her head and neck comfortingly.

“I know Dashie, I'm sorry I made you worry. I'm better now and I wont leave you again.”

“But that's just it! It's all my fault! I- I'm the one that should be sorry, You've had to go through so much because of me, I should be the one comforting you, I should be wrapping my wings around you. I'm sorry Twi, I'm so selfish... I'm sorry I couldn't be strong for you...” She sobbed, trying to hold back her tears. I love you so much Twi, and.. and I just can't handle the idea of losing you. It could happen tomorrow morning. It could happen right now! I just know horrible things would happen to you if I lost you. How can I protect you if I can't stay strong enough for my self, let alone the both of us.. Twilight what should I do! She closed her eyes tight against the turmoil in her mind, burying her face into Twilight's soft fur.

“Rainbow Dash, You don't need to take everything on your self. I am your marefriend right?” Rainbow Dash didn't look up from Twilight's shoulder, but responded with a small nod.

“Then it's not just you or me, it's us. We said we would face whatever may come together. Dash, I can be strong for you if you'll let me. I want you to lean on me when you're hurting and to let me pick you up when your down. Can you do that for me Dashie?” Twilight's words made Dash feel as though an immense weight had vanished off her shoulders. She looked up at Twilight, her cheeks red and her eyes puffy from crying. Twilight...

“Your not alone anymore Dashie, I'll always be with you, sharing in our joys and sorrows.” A smile finally came to Dash's face, and Twilight reflected it with a smile of her own.

“Thank you Twilight.” Dash embraced her in a tight, warm hug.

“Your welcome Dashie. I'm just happy that you're feeling better, but next time you can lean on me if you need to.”

“I will Twi and the same goes for you okay? Now lets get going! This forest is giving me the creeps!” They giggled and Twilight nodded. Entwining their tails once again they walked through the forest.

“Hey Twi?”

“What is it Dashie?”

“What were you about to say before?” Twilight winced in her mind. No, I was hoping she forgot!

“Uhm, what do you mean?” She asked nervouly

“You know, you said 'Hey Rainbow Dash' when we first entered the forest? It sounded like you wanted to say something important.”

“Oh! That... Um, that was nothing! Just forget about it.” She tried to play it off but Dash wasn't fooled.

“Come on Twi, what did we just talk about? You can tell me if something is bothering you.” Twilight looked at the ground bashfully.

“You'll think it's stupid, and it is. I just, I kind of want to know...”

“I wont think it's stupid I promise. Come on, you can tell me.” Curiosity was now motivating her more than comforting her marefriend, but she had to admit Twilight was really cute when she was being all shy like that, It was a side of her she rarely got to see.

“Okay, if you promise. Well, I was just thinking. We're both mares...”

“Yeah? So?”

“Well, haven't you ever wanted kids?” Dash was so taken aback by the question she tripped on Twilight's hoof, landing softly with her face in a pile of leaves and dirt. Twilight stared, her mouth slightly agape. She wanted to laugh but didn't want to give Dash the opportunity to change the subject.

“Are you alright?” Dash sat on the ground as she spat out a leaf that had managed to find it's way into her mouth before vigorously shaking her mane to dislodge the debris from it.

“Ya, I'm fine... So, uhm, what did you say?”

“I asked if you ever wanted kids?” She sighed, she figured she hadn't misheard. Though deep in the back of her mind, fear started growing. Would Twilight leave me because we can't have kids? She forced this painful thought back.

“I don't know... The whole getting pregnant thing seems really unfun, but I'd be lying if I said It wouldn't be cool to pass down all of my flying tricks and skills to a foal of my own. Anyway, I can live without having kids I guess... What about you?” She added nervously. That's not the whole truth though...

“I don't think I'm parenting material. I get so caught up in my studies or making lists I'm afraid I would neglect a child. Besides, lists and books and research, that's no environment for a kid. I think I would fail miserably at it in the long run. It's one thing to babysit, but it's another to have a kid of your own all day, everyday.” Twilight had become slightly downcast as she spoke. Oh Twi, there you go again not giving yourself enough credit. I know you could do anything you set your mind to.

“Hey, you raised Spike since he was a hatchling and he turned out great!”

“But you see how I treat Spike, like an assistant or at best, a younger brother. Besides, dragons are durable, a new born foal is delicate. I just don't know if I could handle it.” Dash stood beside Twilight, smiling reassuringly.

“Twi, I know you and I know you would be the best mom ever. You're loving, strong, smart, you know when to put your hoof down and when to let things slide. Any foal would be lucky to have you as a mom. Hey, I know! Once we convince everyone that we aren't bad and that it's okay for mares to love mares and stallions to love stallions, I bet they would let us adopt! We should totally adopt a pegasus!” Dash's quickly escalating enthusiasm dispelled Twilight's melancholy. She giggled and rested her head on Dash.

“It's a pony not a pet Dashie. I mean what if we adopt a pegasus and she wants to be an accountant? Or an engineer?” Or a physicist, or a mathematician, or an astronomer.. She grinned excitedly at the thought.

“Then she'll be the fasted accountant in all of Equestria!” After sharing a bought of laughter, Dash stood up.

“Well I think we should get a move on if we want to get to Appaloosa by sunrise. Okay, no more surprising statement's the rest of the walk.” Twilight smiled as she took up her flank.

“If you say so, but you're the one that keeps stopping.” Rainbow Dash playfully nudged her, and she gave it right back. With happy smiles they walked to Appaloosa, their bonds strengthened and happiness restored.