• Published 21st Nov 2013
  • 2,747 Views, 149 Comments

Then We'll Run - maxxxxxx



We'll run. We'll run so we can be together, so we can be safe. We'll run so I dont have to feel that pain in real life.

  • ...
20
 149
 2,747

Heartfelt

Is this really the right thing to do? I know I made a promise, but is it worth putting Twilight in danger? I just don't know what to do! I can't stop thinking about Cobalt Prose, his father and... his family. Somepony has to tell them what happened to them. They have to know, and it has to be me, because no pony else will. They have to leave Equestria, it's not safe here anymore... Maybe it never was. Rainbow Dash's thoughts and fears weigh heavy on her already sore and tired hooves as she trotted forward. The warm morning sun easing the pain in her back and wings. Her ears twitching eyes darting in the direction of any sound she couldn't immediately identify. Almost like clock work she would glace back at her mare friend, who walk a short distance behind her. I have to keep Twilight safe, I have to get her out of here alive. I don't care what happens to me but she has to live... because, I don't want to live with out her. She brought her attention forward, narrowing her tired eyes.

Twilight walked only a few hooves behind her mare friend. The cool, dewy grass eased the ache in her hooves. When ever she attempted to walk side by side with her, Dash would pick up her pace, keep Twilight always a few steps behind. Twilight's looked over the state her beloved marefriend was in with great worry. Her once sleek blue fur had lost it's sheen and her mane's vibrant colors had begun to dim. When ever she warily look back, to check if she was still there, Twilight could see a dullness in her eyes. How long can she do this? How much longer can she go on like this? I can't stand to see her like this. She's taking so much all on herself, shouldering it all on her own. It's my fault, she's had to protect me, all this time, because I've been too weak to help myself. This... it's exactly what my brother wants. We'll run. We'll always be on guard. Every sound, every shadow will look like an enemy. We'll become paranoid and always on edge. Nopony can function like that for long. When I look into Dash's eyes I can see our end. They'll capture us if we fall into that snare. And.. The way she's going... Twilight struggled as she bit back her tears. The thoughts of what could happen flooding her mind. She'll die... I can't let that happen. I just can't! I'll protect you Rainbow Dash, I'll protect you with my life. Suddenly, Rainbow Dash's ears swiveled forwards as she came to a dead stop. Listing carefully, Twilight could hear it too. The sound of machinery, wagons and whistles. The sounds of a bustling small town in the mid morning. Appleloosa lay just a head of them.

“We'll we're here... what now?” Twilight asked, put off by Dash's silence. For a few agonizingly long moments, she didn't respond, she didn't even move, just staring blankly into the foliage towards the town.

“Dashie? Are you...”

“Twilight.” Dash spoke. The sheer gravity in her voice was enough to stop Twilight mid sentence and confirm her worries. Something was definitely wrong.

“What is it Rainbow? You can tell me if something is bothering you.” She tried, she forced her voice to sound as comforting and as hopeful as she could but the fear in her voice was unmistakable. What ever was weighing on her mind, it was painful for her to say. Twilight felt so helpless to ease her marefriend's anxiety. Slowly Dash turned to Twilight, her eyes were dull, tired and filled with worry.

“I'm going alone. You need yo stay here, hidden.” Twilight could practically see the pleading in her eyes, begging her not to argue.

“W- what are you saying... Rainbow, you can't mean that.” Her voice quivered with disbelief. Am I really such a burden Dashie? I'm I causing you so much stress because you think I can't take care of my self?... Why wouldn't she? I've been nothing but an anchor keeping her down. Just dead weight. I couldn't even face my own brother. A cold, dull ache of depression flooded her chest and spread through her body. She felt it weighing her down, almost drowning her in sorrow. No wonder she doesn't think she can trust me to be by her side. Oh Rainbow, I'm so sorry I've made you put all of this on yourself... If only I wasn't so weak. If only I wasn't so sacred... I'm just useless and it's going to get the mare I love killed! No... I don't want to lose her. I can't lose her! No Twilight! This isn't the time for self pity. You need to be there for her, you need to be by her side whether she wants you to or not! You can't let her go alone

“Twilight, please, they may already know that we were coming here. There could be guards all over town. I promise, I'll be in and out before you know it.” In a voice saturated with distress she implored. Twilight could almost hear tears being held back. Her fear was eating her up inside, of this Twilight was sure.

“Rainbow...” Twilight padded over to her marefriend, taking her hoof in her own and resting her head her shoulder. Twilight could feel Dash's stressed heart beat through her soft neck, but she could also feel it slow and relax as she held her hoof tighter. Her breathing to, became more steady and soft. “You don't have to take on the burden of these things alone. Remember, you have me. I won't let you Dashie, I refuse to let you suffer alone. I thought we agreed, didn't we? That we would share the burden together? So let me help you. I promise I wont be a burden anymore, I wont make you worry so please, trust me.”

“You're not a burden Twilight, you're the only thing that I have to be strong for.” She spoke, but her feelings were constrained, leaving her voice nearly monotone. Forcing the bitterly painful thoughts as far back into her mind as she could. “This is something I have to do. I made the promise to that colt, but I wont put you in danger. I wont let you go into danger.”

“Rainbow Dash, I can't let you go alone! I won't let you face danger alone!” Twilight pulled dash tightly into her embrace. For an all too brief moment, Dash felt something surrounded by Twilight's hooves, something, she hadn't felt In too long. Comfort. She felt like a foal as her mental walls broke down by Twilight's loving touch. She threw her forelegs around her, losing herself in the surge of feelings, she wept, crying without restraint.

“ I have to.. I have toTwilight! Twilight I- I keep having dreams, horrible nightmares! The- the things that happened to you! Twilight no! I can't let that happen, I wont! I'll keep you safe Twi, I promise I wont let them do that to you! W- what they do to you when they caught you... those bloody, evil things. I'll die Twilight! I'll die before I let them get you!” She could feel Dash's body trembling in her hooves. She could barely speak between the choked gasps and dry heaves as she cried in her grasp. Twilight eyes were wide with fear, her body became hot as she held Dash tighter, not only for her marefriend's comfort, but also to quell her own growing panic.

No... She's been having those dreams as well. No! No! It... It can't be true. If we're both having them.. No, I- I don't want that! I don't! It's not fair! All I did was love somepony! It's not fair! I don't want to feel that in real life, I don't want it! Images of the tortures she experienced in her dreams, and the pain accompanying them flashed through her mind and body. She felt her muscles become weak. Waves of nausea and panic nearly brought her to the ground. No.. I can't let her know that I'm having the dreams as well... She doesn't know what I've dreamed, She needs to know it'll all be okay. She needs to... and so do I.

“I- It's going to be okay.. It's alright. They're just dreams. I promise they wont come true... Please, let me stay by your side, through everything. W- what will I do without you Dashie? I need you, so please trust me.”

“Promise me Twi, Promise me that if something happens, and we get caught, you'll abandon me.”

Twilight broke the comforting and secure embrace, staggering back. She looked Dash in the eyes with astonishment. She shook her head slowly as she tried to comprehend what she had just heard.

“You... you can't mean that.” Whispering in quiet shock, she felt her fear and panic replaced with an indescribable sadness and guilt.

“I do mean it! If we get caught you have to promise me you'll get away, even if you have to leave me behind. Don't ask me to do it Twi, don't ask me to live while you go through that. Don't force me to watch you die! If you do I'll go to Celestia my self, I'll make sure she does ten fold to me what ever she does to you! I can't live without you Twi, if you get caught, I promise I'll die before I let you die. If I get caught and you try to join me I'll kill myself Twi. I wont let you do it, not after what I've seen, I won't do it!"

“I can't! I can't promise that! I can't live with out you either! What ever happens will happen to the both of us! You think I can stand by while you go through those things either? We will get through this, but not if we leave each others side! We'll make it Dashie... Together. I need you to promise me, you'll never die and leave me alone! Promise me you'll live! Because, I have nothing else to live for in this world anymore, you're the only thing I have Dashie! You're my world and I wont see you die!”

“Twilight....”

“Promise me!” She Shouted, shutting her eyes tight, tears slowly making their way down her cheeks.

“I..... I promise. I promise I wont die. Twilight, promise me, that if it comes down to it, you'll run. You'll run and leave me behind. I swear I wont die, I'll come back and I'll find you. You have my word.” The strength in her words, the conviction in them was almost palpable. Twilight stared at her, tears now flowing unabated.

“How can you promise that? How can you be sure you'll come back to me?” With eyes now steady and calm, though red from crying, Dash walk to her. Raising a tender hoof she wiped the tears away Twilight's face, then leaning forward she softly kissed her moist cheek. Twilight's body became calm as she felt her fear dissolve away with only a touch of those soft lips. The kiss lingered until Dash was sure her panic and anxiety had diminished, sliding her head forward she rested her cheek against Twilight's and spoke softly in her ear.

“Because I love you Twi, nothing's gonna keep me from you. But I wont risk you, I wont. So promise me. I know it's hard, I know it's against what you feel is right, but promise me, you'll leave me behind, and I swear I'll come back to you.” After a long stretch of silence, Twilight gulped, steeling herself.

“I... I promise.”

“Thank you Twilight. Thank you.” She gave Twilight a gently nuzzle before slowly pulling away.

“We should move. It's not safe to stay here too long.” Dash said, scanning around them, finding no pony in sight. Wiping the remaining tears from her eyes Twilight nodded. I'll stay by your side Rainbow Dash. Always. Twilight affirmed as they moved ever closer toward Appleloosa.