• Published 28th Nov 2013
  • 7,327 Views, 1,028 Comments

Brushed Away 2: By Hoof and Claw - TheVClaw



A sequel to Brushed Away, Troy is a Gryphon who has to deal with a new obstacle in his life: telling his family he's with a stallion.

  • ...
33
 1,028
 7,327

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Thirty-Two: The Dinner (Part 1)

"There you guys are!" Mister Cake had a pleased smile on his muzzle as he saw Troy and Canvas walk into the shop. "We were starting to wonder when you guys would arrive!"

"Hey, Mister Cake," responded Troy with a smile, although his voice came out slightly less enthusiastic than expected. The Gryphon looked around the bakery with a hint of worry in his eyes while the others made their way inside. "So, um… are my parents here?"

"Don’t worry," assured the yellow stallion with a warm smile, "your Mother is upstairs with Cupcake and the kids, and your father is waiting in the back room."

Troy made an anxious nod, but his nervous expression began to look more apparent as he walked up closer to the counter. He turned to Mister Cake before asking in an apprehensive tone, "Listen, I really need to--"

"Before you say a thing," interrupted Carrot Cake. His tone was more insistent than before, but he still kept a smile on his face. "Twilight explained everything to us. We didn't tell them anything, and we aren't planning to. They don't know, so there's no need to worry."

In an instant, Troy felt like a boulder was lifted off of his back. "Alright, good," said Troy with a thankful smile on his beak, "I was worried that somepony would say something about it."

"It's perfectly fine." Mister Cake leaned over the counter to put a hoof on Troy's shoulder, and spoke in a comforting tone, "We have a good meal planned for all of you, and you have your brothers for support. Just have a good time with your family and everything will be alright, okay?"

Seeing the baker’s reassuring expression, Troy's smile became more relaxed as he nodded back to the taller stallion. "I… okay… Thanks, Mister Cake."

"No prob," stated Carrot happily as he let go of the Gryphon. "If you want, you could go upstairs to get the ladies for me. Dinner is almost ready."

"Will do!" With his mind now in focus about what might be for dinner (and judging from what he was smelling from the kitchen, he could tell they had something good planned), Troy began to trek up the stairs with Canvas in tow.

Mister Cake looked back at the others and added with a grin, "The soup will be ready in a couple minutes. I already have your table and drinks set up in the back room over there."

Seeing where the pony was pointing, the four Gryphons replied with a unified "Thanks!" before heading to the back of the bakery. Before they could get out of sight, Mister Cake spoke up to the group. "Umm… Which one of you is Blane?"

The largest one stopped for a moment, and looked back at the yellow pony with a skewed brow. "Uhhh… yeah?" asked Blane in a slightly confused tone.

"Good. I got the right one." Carrot's head went underneath the counter for a couple seconds, and came back up with a yellow sheet in his mouth. "Here's the bill for the roof you damaged earlier this week."

"What?!" While Blane went back to the counter to snatch the bill and look at it studiously, his brothers just cackled as they went to the back room. Of course, as his memory began to come back, Blane groaned as his stature slumped a bit, realizing what the baker was referring to. "Oh yeah…"

After a brief sigh, the Gryphon shrugged before reaching into his pouch. "Alright, fine. But you guys really need to make your decorations look less realistic!"


"Oh, you babies are just so cute!"

While Missus Cake watched with a caring smile on her muzzle, Angela was seated on the floor of the nursery while holding the yellow foal in her claws. Despite the fact that this was one of the first Gryphons that either of the babies ever saw (aside from Troy in a few brief occasions), neither Pound Cake or Pumpkin Cake seemed to be scared of the joyful Gryphoness. In fact, Pumpkin was giggling with a toothless smile while she was being held by Angela.

Meanwhile, the door opened to reveal Troy poking his head in. "Ummm… Mom?"

Angela's head perked up to him with a smile. "There you are, Troius!" Still holding the unicorn foal, the Gryphon picked herself up while keeping Pumpkin in one claw. "I was just wanting to see these little foals before dinner started."

"Ooh! That's right!" Remembering that her husband was probably needing her downstairs, Cup Cake got herself up as well, holding the gold-grey Pegasus foal in one hoof while going to grab her saddlebag with another. "I didn't realize I was up here for so long! I better go down to help Carrot."

"Of course, of course! Let me help." Before Cupcake could protest, Angela used her free claw to get the blue mare's saddlebag on with ease, and placed Pumpkin inside one of the side harnesses securely. "There you go, little baby…"

The moment that the Gryphoness put a talon out to give the foal a little "Coochie-Coo", the baby unicorn immediately grabbed it to stick inside her mouth. Luckily, the baby was only able to suck on it for a second before Angela pulled it back out. "Ah, ah, ah. That's too sharp for you!"

"Sorry about that," said Cupcake in an apologetic tone as she put Pound Cake inside the harness on the other side. "Pumpkin's a bit of a gummer. I think she gets that from Pinkie's pet alligator."

"Oh, it's alright. I'm just glad that I got my talons trimmed recently! It would've been bad if--" Before she could finish, Angela froze before looking at Missus Cake with a wide-eyed expression. "A… a pet what?"

"Don't ask," replied the mare with a more deadpanned look. "We have no idea where she got it from. We're just glad that it's toothless and doesn't cause any real trouble."

Angela just shook her head and giggled. "Well, don't tell the triplets about that! Seriously, those three begged me for years for a pet alligator! If they knew getting one was legal around here, they'd never let me live it down!"

"I dunno…" Missus Cake made a small shrug as she began to walk out of the nursery with her foals at her sides. "That guy seems to have a thing for biting Gryphon tails, if Troy is a good enough indicator."

"Yeah," added Troy with a reluctant nod. "She’s not wrong there."

"Well, dinner will probably be ready soon!" As Missus cake began to trot down the hallway to join her husband in the kitchen, she looked back at Angela with a thankful smile. "And thanks for all the preening tips, Missus Clawston! I'm gonna make sure to remember those for little Pound here."

"Hey, it's no problem," responded Angela with a smile of her own. "Just one Mother helping another."

Cupcake nodded before heading off, letting her kids bob in their harnesses with each step down the stairs. Angela, after noticing Canvas in the hallway behind her son, turned back at the nursery to look at the space-themed mural that was still on the walls. "Canvas, I have to ask, did you really do this? It looks incredible!"

"Uhh, yeah," replied the stallion with a slight blush on his aqua cheeks. "That was actually the second big piece I made when I first moved to Ponyville."

"Well it's absolutely amazing!" After staring for another couple seconds, the Gryphoness looked back at Troy and added, "And I have to say, Troy, you certainly made a lot of friends around this town! Missus Cake told me nothing but nice things about you."

Troy chuckled nervously as he rubbed the feathers on the back of his neck. Even though he was grateful for the Cakes helping him out like this, he almost felt like the two were buttering him up in front of his folks so his bombshell would be less catastrophic. "Uhhh, yeah. I… I guess I just relate with ponies easily."

"Well you better watch yourself, big guy!" Angela gave off a small snicker before narrowing her eyes on him with a smirk. "I have a feeling that a couple ponies around here have a thing for you."

While Canvas took a cautious step back, his lips pursing shut, Troy gave off a nervous laugh while looking away from his Mother. "W-what? I… I don't know what you mean."

"Oh, come on. I talked with that Derpy girl who said you were a 'Great Kisser'! You can't just do things like that and NOT expect a pony or two to fall for you."

While the silver Gryphon internally cringed a bit, avoiding his Mom's cheeky smirk, Canvas's cheeks began to blush even more as he bit his lip. Despite not wanting to fight Troy's battles for him, Canvas almost wanted to speak up in the Gryphon’s defense. However, Troy was the first to make a reply as he looked back at Angela. "Honestly, I'm… not really seeing any mares, Mom. And Derpy was just for a play."

"Well I know that!" Angela gave her son a playful slap on the shoulder. Keeping a smile on her face, the Gryphoness rolled her eyes before looking at him with a calming tone. "I'm just saying that you should be careful, okay? It'd be hard to find someone special if you keep having to fend off ponies with a stick!"

Angela laughed to herself after that comment, but didn't seem to notice how uncomfortable Troy was looking at that moment. "Ummm… Yeah," replied Troy faintly, "That would be hard."

"Oh!" Looking like she just remembered something, Troy's mother turned back to Canvas before asking, "Speaking of mares, where's your little someone?"

Canvas felt his heart go back up to his throat, but he was fortunate not to let it show on his smile. Instead, he took a second before turning his gaze away from her while explaining. "Well… Since this dinner was so short notice, there… may have been some complications."

Angela's eyes widened a bit. "Oh?"

"Yeah, so… I was able to make it, but…there's no mare tonight," responded the stallion with an uneasy shrug. Even though he didn't want to sound too vague or suspicious, he also wanted to make an excuse that wasn't a straight up lie. Technically speaking, what he told her was true; there really were complications, and there wasn't going to be a mare tonight.

"Oh, well…" Thinking it over, Angela sighed with a shrug of her shoulders. "I guess that's alright. At least I get to have one of Troy's friends for dinner tonight, right?"

Canvas quickly nodded as he regrew his smile, hoping it didn't look too uncomfortable. "R-right."

Troy, mostly glad that nothing was said to raise suspicion or awkwardness, motioned over to the hallway as he grabbed his Mother's attention. "Uh, come on, Mom. We better get downstairs."

"Oh! Right." Letting Troy lead the way, Angela kept a smile as she walked beside Canvas out of the nursery. Along the way, she looked down at him as she grew a curious smirk. "So Canvas, I was wondering… Have you made any big wedding plans yet?"

Troy's ears perked up as he walked, obviously eavesdropping to hear what might be said. Canvas blushed as he answered her in an honest tone. "Ummm, yeah. We actually got a bit planned out. We decided on a what kind of food to have at the reception, as well as floral arrangements. We even have Twilight Sparkle officiating the ceremony!"

"Wow!" Hearing that last detail, Angela seemed quite impressed as she smiled down at him. "I didn't know about that! You must be a lucky stallion!"

Smiling with his lips bit shut, Canvas nodded up at her, and took a breath before looking back forward and speaking in agreement. "Yeah, I… I really am…"

Even though he tried not to do anything to give him or his fiancé away, Canvas's eyes made a quick glance back towards Troy, who took a brief second to look back at him with a smile of his own. Even though the exchange was less than a second, Angela managed to catch enough of it to make her narrow her eyes on them for a short moment. Of course, any meaning behind that exchange was lost on her as she shrugged indifferently. After all, those two are friends; why wouldn't her son be happy for his friend getting married?

If only I knew who he was with, thought the Gryphoness to herself as they reached the stairs.


Surprisingly enough, despite the fact that the back room looked fairly small, it was able to hold the family of seven Gryphons, as well as one extra stallion, quite easily. Since it was usually reserved for private parties and special occasions, the room was well lit and tastefully decorated, with several lovely framed pictures on the walls that went nicely with the large mahogany table the Clawstons were seated around. Even Blane and Jonas, the two largest Gryphons in the room, were still able to sit underneath the lamp that was hanging from the high ceiling.

The door to the room slid open, as a large pot that almost looked like a cauldron was being carried towards the table by both the Cakes. "Alright, everyone!" said Mister Cake in a cheerful tone as the pot was carefully propped in the middle of the table. Despite how heavy the pot looked, the two Earth ponies seemed to have no problem getting it into position, mostly since the party moved themselves and their drinks out of the way to let them get in with ease. "I hope you all are hungry for the appetizer!"

While Missus Cake left the room to get the bowls and side-dishes, Mister Cake was quick to get the lid lifted off with his muzzle to reveal what was inside. "Ter-drrr!"

Even though the family was composed of meat-eaters, no one seemed the least bit disappointed when they saw the hearty batch of potato soup which was inside. Even Jonas, who didn't say much when he came to the bakery with his wife earlier, gave off an involuntary "Oooooh" along with the others when they saw the creamy concoction that was prepared.

"Here you go!" Missus Cake came back into the room with a tray balanced on her back, which contained a massive amount of crackers, along with several bowls of shredded cheese and other toppings. "The main course will be ready in a few minutes. Just let us know if there's anything else you need, okay?"

"Oh wow!" piped up Angela as she and the other got back into their seats. Seeing the massive array that the Cakes had prepared, the Gryphoness's awed look was quite apparent. "This looks amazing! Thank you so much!"

"Oh, it's no problem at all," replied Mister Cake as he and his wife began to leave the private room. He pointed a hoof over to a string hanging on the wall. "Just ring that bell if there's anything you need."

"Will do," said Angela with a talon's up. Happy to see that the Clawston family looked happy with their first course, the Cakes had proud smiles on their muzzles as they left to go back to the kitchen. Of course, neither of the ponies seemed to notice the look of anticipation the group had when they closed the door behind them.

"Alright!" The very instant that the Cakes left, Jonas reached into Angela's purse to pull out a large jar that was filled to the brim with dark red flakes. Even though Canvas had to tilt his head with narrowed eyes to see what it was, his brows raised as soon as he realized what the Gryphon was holding. Jonas quickly opened the jar lid, making the smell of bacon immediately fill the air.

"Dad, what are you doing?!" shouted Troy in a panic as he looked between the doorway and the jar of bacon bits. If either of the Cakes came in at that moment, he was sure that they would get in serious trouble. "H-how did you even get that in here?!"

"What?" asked Jonas with a skewed brow, with the rest of Troy's brothers carrying similar looks of confusion. "It's potato soup! You expect us to eat it without bacon?!"

Troy brothers all replied with a unified "Yeah!" in agreement. Troy just groaned as he put his face in his claws, not wanting to cause any issues this early into dinner. Fortunately, Angela spoke up before her husband could empty the contents of the jar into the pot. "Now wait just a minute!"

Troy looked up at his Mom, slightly grateful that at least one family member could see this was a bad idea. But then, Angela pointed a talon at Canvas before saying, "At least let him have a bowl first! It's rude to just add bacon without thinking of the pony!"

Jonas opened his beak to make a retort, but nothing came out of it. Instead, he paused for a moment before shrugging in agreement. "Oh, alright." He put the jar of bacon bits down, and quickly made a bowl of soup before passing it to Canvas. "Here you go."

"Thank you," said the stallion with a smile as he grabbed his bowl, not seeming to mind one bit while Jonas quickly poured half the jar into the pot of soup. Instead, Canvas looked over at Troy who was seated beside him, and made a small nudge with his hoof into his side. "C'mon, stop acting so stingy. You know this isn't the first time I've been around bacon before."

Troy sighed as he looked over at his fiancé, his expression softening a bit when he saw the stallion's cute little smirk. "Yeah, I know. I'm just worried about what might happen if the Cakes find out."

"All the more reason to clean this pot out ourselves!" said Blaze happily as he got himself a large helping in his bowl. Seeing how all the other Gryphons were already getting their servings, along with the various toppings and crackers left by the Cakes, Troy just sighed in acceptance before grabbing his own bowl. Besides, catching that familiar scent of bacon was enough to make Troy's mouth start to salivate.

"Wait, Canvas," asked Angela as she caught what the stallion said, "what was that you said about bacon?"

Canvas turned back to Angela, needing a second to realize what she asked him. Before he could make a reply, Lyle spoke up for him while piling some grated cheddar into his bowl. "He made bacon and steak for Troy's birthday."

"Really?" asked Angela and Jonas at the same time. Canvas, not expecting Troy's parents to be staring at him so intently from that new info, couldn't keep himself from blushing a little.

"Ummmm… yeah," answered Canvas in a slightly embarrassed tone as he turned his head away from the two. "Well, I kinda knew a guy in Baltimare, so… I figured it would be a nice way to show my appreciation for everything he did for me."

A smile crept up on the corners of the pony's muzzle, which prompted Troy to smile as well. "Well," began Troy with a slight nod while looking down at the stallion, "That really was a great birthday."

"But… isn't getting meat like that illegal?" asked Angela with a hint of worry in her voice.

Troy just looked at his Mother with a blank stare before responding flatly, "Says the Gryphon who snuck in a giant jar of bacon bits across borders."

"Oh…" Not wanting to let her son's stark (and technically correct) statement to get to her, Angela just rolled her eyes. "I'm just saying, that I wasn't expecting to hear something like that."

All three of the triplets let off a unified snicker, which they tried to keep as muffled as possible. Nevertheless, Troy still shot the three a deathly glare in a split second that was missed by both parents.

"So Troy," began Jonas while eating his soup, "aside from working Weather Patrol and… being in musicals…" The Gryphon said that last word with a hint of distaste in his voice, but only paused for a second before continuing, "what else have you been doing in Equestria?"

Troy took a breath while tapping the table with his talons, making an involuntary clacking against the wood as he tried to speak in a normal tone. "Well, I… have a singing audition in Canterlot in a month or so."

"Singing?" asked Angela with raised brows. "You mean like professionally?"

"Well, it's more for a big production coming up." Even though he wasn't embarrassed by getting an offer as prestigious as a Canterlot audition, Troy was still blushing slightly as he spoke in a fainter tone. "But still… I'm really exited for it. And Octavia seemed sincere about seeing me there when we talked at Canvas’s art show in Manehatten."

"Octavia?" When Jonas asked that question, his eyes narrowed on Troy suspiciously. "Is that another mare you know?"

"Well… not personally," replied Troy as he tried to keep his Father from getting any ideas. "She just overheard me singing, and thought I would be a good choice."

"Hmmm…" Jonas took a slurp of his soup as he let his son's answer sink in, and spoke up after swallowing. "I hope you're being cautious about that sort of thing. For all you know, that mare could just be trying to take advantage of you."

Canvas, whose mouth was currently stuffed with crackers while chewing, could only give a puzzled stare to Jonas at what he just said. Troy just closed his eyes and groaned. He rubbed his temples with his talons while speaking. "It's not like that, Dad. Octavia is a musician, and she noticed me for my music."

"But still, you can't be acting so gullible! You have no idea what a pony like that might be planning! And in a place like Manehatten, you have to watch out for mares and… You-Know-Whats."

After swallowing, Canvas's befuddled stare on Jonas became more apparent before he spoke up. "If you don't mind me asking, what exactly do you mean by th--"

Dingdingdingdingding!

Lyle was leaned back in his seat, frantically pulling on the string in an attempt to break the conversation before things got even more awkward. Fortunately, Mister Cake's head poked in through the doorway before anyone else could say a word. "Is everything alright?"

"Uhhh… I…" Since Lyle was focused on getting his Dad to shut up, he realized that he forgot to come up with a valid reason to have Carrot Cake come into the room. Fortunately, the sight of the serving bowls beside the pot of soup made the Gryphon come up with something. "Can we get some more cheese?" asked Lyle as he brought the near-empty bowl over to the stallion.

"Oh! Sure thing." Mister Cake took the bowl happily before heading out of the room. "Dinner will be out in a few minutes."

"Great!" With that, Canvas and the Clawston family went back to enjoying their soup in silence. And with the inclusion of the bacon bits, the potato soup was downed at a disturbingly fast rate before they could get any extra cheese or crackers. But still, despite how good the appetizer was, Canvas couldn't stop thinking about what Jonas was going to say.

You-Know-Whats?

I swear, if that's supposed to mean what I think it's supposed to mean--

"So guys," began Blaze as he looked over at Troy and Canvas, "I was wondering, was Celestia at that art-thingie too?"

"Oh, ummm…" Even though that question threw him slightly off-guard, Troy was happy that Blaze was changing the discussion. "No, Celestia wasn't there. Actually, I don't think that anyone knew that she would be at that one show!"

"I certainly didn't," added Canvas with a chuckled smile of his own. When he looked back down to the table and his empty bowl, the stallion sighed as he shook his head in disbelief. "I mean , just the fact that she saw all those paintings… and she chose me? I just… I can't believe I didn't hug her at the spot!"

"What are you talking about?" asked Troy with a skewed brow down at Canvas. You did hug her! You nearly tackled her!"

"What?! I--" Canvas raised a hoof to defend himself, but paused as soon as he realized what Troy was referring to. His eyes widened for a second before sighing with a smile. "No, no, not that! I was talking about that art gallery, not the Gala!"

Troy looked away for a moment to think Canvas's previous statement over before letting that realization dawn on him. "Oh yeah."

"Wait, you hugged Celestia?!" asked Jonas with an astounded look on his face.

Canvas's expression became more bashful as he slumped down in his seat. "Well… kinda. I mean, she showed me where she put the painting I made for her, and… well… I guess I got a bit overemotional.”

Troy couldn't hold back his cackle while sitting beside the blushing pony. "I honestly thought he was going to get tackled by the Guards or something! He should be lucky that the Princess hugged him back."

While Canvas's head slumped down even lower in embarrassment, Angela carried a more peculiar stare on the two before looking at Troy. "Wait a minute. Troy, you went to the Gala too? You never mentioned that."

"I didn't?" Blinking a couple times, Troy seemed slightly confused that his Mother said that. He managed to bring up a lot to both his parents while showing them around Cloudsdale, so it was surprising to think that he missed a detail that big. Of course, with a shrug of his shoulders, the silver Gryphon nodded before answering his Mom. "Well… yeah. I went with Canvas to the Gala. Honestly, it was pretty boring, you know. But I did get a chance to talk with Celestia before the event, and she said a lot of nice things about Grandma and Grandpa! I even got to shake her hoof!"

Jonas's brows both raised, giving a legitimately impressed look towards his son. "Wow, that… that's pretty good of you, Troy."

Hearing that, Troy couldn’t hold back a blush as he smiled and nodded back at his Father. "Th-thanks, Dad. I--" Before he could say anything else, Troy's gaze went back to his Mother, noticing how confused she was looking. "Uh, Mom?"

Angela quickly shook her head clear, looking like she was miles away while Troy was talking. "Oh, sorry. I… I was just thinking to myself." She gave off a small chuckle before reaching for the bottle of wine at the center of the table to refill her glass.

"Is anything wrong?" asked Canvas with a hint of worry.

"It's nothing. I was just confused, that's all." Shrugging the rest of her thoughts aside, Angela picked up her glass of wine and took a sip. When she pulled her glass back from her beak, the Gryphoness shook her head with a involuntary chuckle before continuing. "I mean, I know that the Grand Galloping Gala is a fairly exclusive event to get invited to. I just didn't expect for you to be able to have tickets for both Troy AND your fiancee."

Canvas and Troy's eyes both widened after Angela said that part, but neither were able to speak up before Angela took another sip from her glass. Unfortunately though, after a couple seconds, she slowly pulled the glass away before looking back at the two, her eyes growing a more peculiar stare.

Angela's golden eyes peered at both Troy and Canvas, her smile slowly dissipating as she looked between them. Both of them looked more noticeably nervous, but the Gryphoness wasn't able to see that immediately. Instead, her sights went down to Canvas's engagement ring.

She stared at the engraving on the ring, which had the stallion's cutie mark intertwined with a feather.

A silver feather.

She then looked back at Troy.

Silver feathers.

While seated right next to Canvas.

And both of them were looking nervous.

Angela's eyes instantly shot wide open. While Jonas and Troy's brothers were all too busy with their food to notice, the now terrified Canvas and Troy could both see clear as day how quickly Angela's expression changed to immediate realization and horror. With the way her wide-eyed stare was shot onto the two, the Gryphoness's frozen expression made it look like she was just visited by a Cockatrice.

SMASH!

Angela's claw clenched in tightly in a panic, shattering the wine glass loudly enough to make everyone stop and look over at her.

"What the?" Jonas looked down at his wife's claw in confusion. "Wha… what happened?"

Angela didn't say a word to her husband, and immediately raised herself up from her seat. "I need to go to the bathroom." Before anyone could protest, Angela quickly scooted her way past the other Gryphons' chairs to reach the doorway. But before she could leave, her head turned back to Troy as her voice became more distressed. "Troy, I need to talk with you."

Troy, who was now just as wide-eyed as his Mother, could barely register what Angela said over the thundering sounds of his own heartbeat. "Uhh… w-w-what? I… I didn--"

"Now!"

Angela didn't wait for Troy to respond, and quickly rushed out of the back room. Troy, who was panting slightly from his growing dread, looked between Canvas and the doorway before getting out of his seat to go after her. "M-Mom! Wait!"

Canvas couldn't even open his muzzle before Troy ran out of the room, which just left him in his seat while seated opposite of Jonas. When he turned over to Lyle and the triplets, Canvas could see that all of them looked nervous as well. After seeing how Angela looked, even Blane was looking worried at what might've happened. If Angela really did catch wind of what was going on, then…

"Lyle, what is that?!"

Jonas's sudden outburst caused everyone else to look back at him. Lyle was barely able to register what his Father said before his new satchel was snatched by him. "HEY!"

Jonas ignored his son's statement before peering into the bag, seeing the array of art supplies and paper inside of it. In an instant, the Gryphon grew an irritated scowl before looking back at Lyle. "What did I tell you about this sort of thing?!"

Canvas's focus immediately changed as soon as he heard that. Even though he was still worried about his fiancé outside the room, the stallion's attention went towards Jonas as soon as he heard that tone he gave towards Lyle.

"D-Dad, come on! Give that back!"

Lyle tried to lunge across the table to get his bag back, but Jonas pulled it back and out of his son's grip. "I told you not to be doing this kind of shit anymore!" he shouted angrily. "I specifically told you that, and you go out to make more of those… doodles?!"

Canvas's expression turned nasty the instant he heard that word. After taking with Lyle for the past week, hearing that last word made the stallion's blood boil. He knew that Lyle was hurt by that kind of talk before. He knew that that specific word was enough to break the Gryphon's confidence. And right now, hearing the word "Doodle" was making Canvas even angrier than if Jonas said something like "Colt-Cuddler".

"I'm not going to have a son of mine end up being some blasted pornographer!" shouted Jonas down at Lyle, who was squirming in his seat fearfully. "I told you to stop doing shit like this, and you go and buy MORE?! Just because you're in Equestria, doesn’t mean that you can just go ahead and make more of these damn DOODLES!"

"LEAVE HIM ALONE!!!"

Everyone turned to the source of that angered yell, and saw the aqua stallion leaning onto the table with his forelegs. His eyes were burning with a pure intensity that none of Troy's brothers had ever seen before; in fact, the only one who could've recognized that kind of fury was Troy, from back when Canvas confronted his own Father about a month ago.

But now, that anger was pointed directly at Jonas. With the way his blue eyes were glaring at the General, it was clear that the stallion was mad. Of course, that anger was quickly returned when Jonas glared back at him.

"What did you say?" the Gryphon asked with a strong tone of malice in his voice.

Canvas, not caring at all about Jonas's military background, just narrowed his eyes on him before speaking in a low, defensive tone.

"You. Heard. Me."

PreviousChapters Next