• Published 28th Nov 2013
  • 7,310 Views, 1,028 Comments

Brushed Away 2: By Hoof and Claw - TheVClaw



A sequel to Brushed Away, Troy is a Gryphon who has to deal with a new obstacle in his life: telling his family he's with a stallion.

  • ...
33
 1,028
 7,310

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Learning New Things

Keeping a smile on her face, Rarity savored her rare moment of serenity and silence as she floated one of her rolls of fabric with her magic. Even though her schedule was fairly full today, the unicorn had enough free time between two of her appointments to get some other tasks done without any interruption. So, the mare decided to reorganize her fabrics a little before Troy's family came along. Despite not wanting to make any harsh criticisms or assumptions about the triplets, her last encounter with the three didn't exactly give Rarity the best impression of them

Especially that one Gryphon with the ghastly amount of mascara, who was less-than-subtly leering after her friend Fluttershy

Shuddering at the memory of that particular Gryphon, as well as that grotesque album Fluttershy was raving about, Rarity tried to ignore any thoughts in relation to that Blade fellow. However, as badly as she wanted to drive it out of her conscience, the unicorn could swear that she could still hear his monstrously fake Trottingham accent in her mind.

Of course, her eyes shot wide open when she realized that his voice wasn't just in her head. She was hearing it for real.

Rarity quickly made her way downstairs, hearing the voices of Troy and Blade bickering from not too far away from her boutique.

"Please, Troy?"

"No!"

"Please?"

"NO!"

"Aw, c'mon man! I won't ask for a full commission!"

"DAMMIT BLADE I SAID NO!!!"

"… You don't have to be so loud, mate. I'm right here."

"ARRRRRGH!!!"

Several knocks could be heard from the front door after that groan, which Rarity answered quickly despite having some new-found reluctance. "Why, hello Troius," said Rarity with a weak smile as she opened the door, letting him and the triplets inside with Canvas behind them. "How are things this morning?"

Troy breathed out heavily as he lumbered inside with a shrug of his shoulders. "Okay, I guess…" The Gryphon then turned over to Blade with an obvious glare in his eyes. "Of course, I'd feel better if someone wouldn't stop pestering me about playing at the wedding!"

Blade threw his claws up in surprise, looking offended at his brother's remark. "Dude, what's your bloody problem?! You know how many couples I know who would kill to have Talon Ripper play at their wedding?!"

"Wait, what?!" cried out Rarity in disgust as she turned her head towards Blade. "Are you seriously suggesting you play your… metal music at Troy and Canvas's wedding?!?"

Blade took a couple seconds to process the unicorn's revulsion, and put up a talon to clarify. "It's not just metal. It's death metal. It's totally different."

"It’s still not happening!" shouted Troy angrily. "How many times do I have to hammer that into your thick friggin' skull?!"

Blaze and Blane, both looking quite annoyed with how long this argument has been going on, decided to walk past them and head to the kitchen with a heavy groan. Meanwhile, Blade pointed a talon over at Troy's fiancé. "Well, how about Canvas, huh? Have you even considered the idea that maybe he wants Talon Ripper to play at the wedding?"

Blade raised his eyebrows at his brother, hoping that his attempt at shoe-horning some guilt will change Troy's tone. Fortunately, Canvas was able to speak up before Troy could say anything in retaliation.

"Well…" Canvas waited for Blade to turn back to him before he continued. "Honestly, I was kinda hoping that we could find something more… romantic for our wedding?" The stallion put up a hoof and quickly added, "No offense, of course. I'd just rather have our first dance be to a ballad or something."

Blade made a light scoff, acting like he was insulted by the artist's remark. "Uh, hello? Talon Ripper has LOTS of ballads!"

"Ooohhhhh no!" shouted Troy in protest. "You are NOT going to play 'Soon-to-Be My Sex Slave' at my wedding!"

Rarity, who was standing at the sidelines during this argument, dropped her jaw as soon as the smaller Gryphon said that. "Is that seriously a song of his?!"

"Troy, don't be daft! I'm not gonna do any of my songs from Alicorn Harem! Besides, I got way more romantic songs than that! I was thinking maybe something like 'Ode to My Love Pump'."

"Ugh!" Rarity stormed away from Blade, not wanting to hear any more songs of his that she was fortunate to have never heard about until now. Luckily, Canvas decided to take the reins of discussion as he went into his art bag, pulling out a large manila folder that Blane gave him during breakfast.

"Hey, Rarity," said Canvas as he tried to grab her attention and give her the folder, "Blane was wanting to talk about helping with floral arrangements for the wedding. What do you think of his references?"

Despite looking less than enthusiastic about the idea of such a massive Gryphon assisting in such a delicate detail, Rarity reluctantly picked up the folder in her blue aura. After opening it and looking at the detailed photos included, the unicorn's eyes widened in shock when she saw the near-perfect floral arrangements organized inside. "Oh, my… I… I can’t believe…"

Rarity gave a surprised stare back at Canvas as her expression grew more dumbfounded by the second. "You're telling me that these were made by…" Her hoof pointed toward the kitchen where she saw the gargantuan Gryphon disappear to. "He made those?!"

"Yeah," nodded the stallion with a slightly disbelieving tone of his own. "He's apparently a REALLY good florist!"

Rarity turned her head to Blade and Troy, who both nodded to Canvas's answer with similar expressions on their faces. "He's not wrong," said Troy, unable to speak in a tone where he didn't sound astounded by that fact as well. "We just found out about that this morning."

After blinking a couple times in astonishment, Rarity made one more glance down at Blane's folder, growing an impressed smile on her muzzle. "Well then!" began the unicorn in a more chipper tone, "I shall definitely have to talk with him about this! I think he'll be an excellent choice if these photos are accurate to his technique!"

Canvas shot a smile over towards Troy, happy to know that one less thing would have to be planned out before their wedding. Despite how his brother was still leaning in, expecting for him to change his mind about the entertainment, Troy still smiled back at Canvas lightly.

The mare then trotted off towards the kitchen, keeping her horn lit as she continued to look through the photos of Blane's various bouquets he made himself. "My gosh!" muttered Rarity to herself, "He even has Saddle Arabian lotuses! I had no idea tha-- AAAHHH!"

Rarity's shrill shriek could be heard as soon as she was out of sight and inside the kitchen, which was immediately followed by her bellowing out in an enraged state, "You put down my champagne this instant!!!"

"Awww! We wanted to make Mimosas!"

"IT'S NINE IN THE MORNING!"

"Yeah, that's why we're making Mimosas! It has orange juice, which makes it a breakfast drink!"

Troy's smile quickly dropped as he put a claw to his face in embarrassment. As more bickering could be heard from the kitchen, Blade's ears perked up as he walked over to the kitchen as well. "Alright! Booze time!"

A low, disappointed groan escaped Troy's beak. After Blade disappeared to the kitchen, Canvas looked up at Troy with a more sympathetic gaze as he tried to alleviate his fiancé's nerves.

"Well… at least Blade shut up about wanting to play at the wedding."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keeping a relaxed smile on his muzzle, Canvas sat comfortably beside Troy in their loveseat as they waited for Rarity to finish her measurements for the triplets. While Blane, the last one to be measured, was lumbering up to the stage clumsily, the other two were trying to sit on the pink sofa at the side; however, with how much the middle of it was bending downward, it seemed like the couch was looking close to snapping in half from the Gryphons' combined size and weight.

"Alright, Blane," began Rarity as she kept her horn lit, holding both her measuring tape and her glass in her aura. Even though she usually never even considered drinking so early in the day, the annoying nature of the three Gryphons was enough to give her an exception. Because of that, only Troy and Canvas's glasses of orange juice didn't have champagne in them.

After taking a sip from her glass, the unicorn refocused her attention on Blane as she began to measure around his midsection. "Just hold your breath for a moment, and I'll have your size in no time."

Blane was quick to oblige, holding his breath and keeping himself still while the tape went around his chest and back. When Rarity leaned her head in to check what measurement the end of the tape was, she didn't seem to notice how Blaze and Blade were leaning in from the couch as well. Troy, immediately noticing what his brothers were doing, was quick to chuck a crumpled piece of paper at them before Rarity could catch either of them staring at her flank.

"Hey!" hissed Blaze when the paper hit his head, making Rarity turn her head back to them. When she saw the two quickly sit back in their original positions on the couch, giving off a very obvious-looking "We weren't doing anything bad" look on their faces, the unicorn gave a venomous glare before turning around and downing her Mimosa.

"So…" Wanting to ignore the two Gryphons who are most likely staring at her, Rarity tried to keep a lively discussion with Blane as she moved to measuring his backside. "Troy never mentioned that you were such a skilled florist! When would you say that you-- Could you stretch out your wing a little, please-- Ahem, when would you say that you started to grow such an interest in flora?"

After extending out his wing for the mare to measure (happy that he remembered to wash up before coming here), Blane pondered Rarity's question for a moment before answering reluctantly. "I'm not sure, honestly. I mean, I always liked smelling stuff, and I was actually pretty good at arranging flowers without breaking them, so I figured why not?"

"Seriously?" asked Blade in a shocked tone of voice. "I once saw you leak a below-ground pool! How the bloody Tartarus are you able to make bouquets without setting 'em on fire?!"

Blane shrugged lightly, looking like he was unsure of that answer as well. "I dunno. I guess I just sorta, you know, get in the zone when I do it! Like, I just get super-focused and stuff."

"Mmm-Hmmm," replied Rarity as she grew a more understanding smile on her muzzle. "I understand that feeling completely! There are many times that I've made garments, and even an earthquake wouldn't stop me from finishing them!"

Blaze, who was looking through a large binder, quickly poked his head up to stare at Rarity with an insistent grin. "Rare, I will give you a hundred Aves to put Blane in a dress right now!"

Blade's eyes lit up at that request, making him chime in, "Me too!"

"Dude!" snapped Blane as he glared at his brothers.

"Now now, boys…" Rarity paused taking her measurements as she looked back at them with an adamant look on her face. "Even though doing that would be tempting, I-- Blaze, put down my wedding planner!"

"What?" asked Blaze as he put his claws up in innocence. Rarity pulled the book out of his talons with her magic as he tried to defend himself. "I can't look at the details of my brother's wedding?! I was just wanting to see what he had planned."

"Well, there's no reason for you to invade a lady's pri--" As soon as she opened the binder, Rarity gasped before shooting a angered look at Blaze. "DID YOU WRITE IN THIS?!"

"Actually," added Blade as he tried to intervene, "I may have helped out a little as well."

Seeing how Rarity, as well as Troy and Canvas, were staring at him and Blaze with surprised looks, Blade scoffed before continuing. "What?! We just wanted to add our bloody input!"

"Why the…" Rarity's eyes narrowed on the contents of the binder as she tried to fathom what they wrote in with red ink. "Why in Equestria's name did you put animals on the guest list?!"

"Guest list?" Confused by Rarity's statement, Blaze got up from his couch and walked up to the unicorn's side. Peering in at what page she was referring to, Blaze stared at it for a moment in puzzlement. "That's the guest list? I thought that was the menu!"

Blade got up to investigate as well, staring at the page from Rarity's other side. "What the… Who names their kid Carrot Cake?!"

"Hey," piped up Canvas from his seat, "Carrot Cake is a really nice guy!"

Troy pressed his face into his claw and groaned out tiredly, now starting to get really sick of explaining this to them. "Guys, how many times have I told you?! This an Equestrian wedding! We're not having meat!”

"WHY NOT?!" shouted all three triplets at the same time, staring at Troy like he just suggested that the moon was made out of cheese.

Troy leaned his head back against the back of the chair with clenched eyes, having his head pointed to the ceiling as he tried not to raise his voice at his brothers. "Do I seriously have to grab a megaphone, shove it into your ears and YELL it into your brains?! We. Are. Not. Having. Meat!"

"COME ONNNNN!"

Troy threw a pillow over his face, not wanting to deal with his older brothers whining at him like they were still in middle school. "Urrrrrrghhhhh…"

Rarity, still looking at their additions to the list with perplexed eyes, tried to speak up to avoid any unneeded confrontations in her shop. "Well, if you guys want, we could arrange to have shrimp for the wedding. It might be a bit costly, but I could certainly…" Noticing one entry in the list, the unicorn's eyes narrowed on it before looking at the three in utter confusion. "What in the world are… beanie weenies?!"

With the way she said that, sounding like she was reciting a poorly-translated joke, Blane looked especially shocked by her reaction. "You seriously don't know about those?! Beanie weenies are like, SUPER fancy back in the Gryphon Kingdom!"

"That's right!" added Blade with a strong nod. He pointed a talon at Troy for assistance. "Tell her, Troy! Beanie weenies have class out the bum, right?"

Troy, despite still being annoyed at the insistence of his brothers, rubbed his temple to keep his face from getting too red from anger. However, he still nodded as he answered honestly. "Well… yeah, it actually kinda is." Troy then looked back up at the triplets before any of them could get a word in. "But! We already have our food planned for the wedding! And beanie weenies are NOT one of them!"

"Awww, come on!" whined Blaze before slumping back on the couch. Before Troy could make his answer any clearer, Blaze pointed at Canvas before adding, "Besides, it won't be like it'd be the first time he had a wiener in his mouth!"

"WHAT?!" screamed out Troy in a fury as he rose from his seat. Unfortunately, despite how loud his outburst was in the shop, it was nothing compared to the monstrous amount of laughter that erupted from the triplets after Blaze's joke. While Blane fell to his back on the stage cracking up, leaving Rarity to stare at Blaze with a dropped jaw, Blade wasn't able to stay on his paws as he rolled on the floor laughing.

"BLAZE, THAT WAS WAY TOO FAR!!!"

Troy turned his head around to see how Canvas looked, hoping that his brother's remark wasn't too insulting. However, to his surprise, he saw the stallion leaning against the side of the loveseat, laughing loudly as well. With tears beading in his eyes, Canvas struggled to breathe before making a response.

"He he he… I'm not gonna lie, that was funny!"

Even though he was still mad about Blaze's joke, the fact that his fiancé wasn't upset about it was enough to make Troy sigh a little in relief. "See?" said Blaze with a smile towards his younger brother. "Even he thought that was a good one!"

Rarity made a light huff as she turned her nose away from Blaze. "Well, I never!"

"Awww, don’t be so uptight!" said Blade as he got himself off the floor and stared at the unicorn. "Like you never heard a dirty joke before!"

"Hmph!" Keeping her posh attitude, Rarity used her magic to pull Blane up with her magic, startling him as she got him back upright to finish her measurements. "I'll have you know that I prefer more sophisticated humor, thank you very much! I am a lady, after all."

"Uh-huh." Blade grew a sly smirk as he eyed the mare. "I heard that line before!"

"What was that?!" snapped Rarity as she turned around to stare daggers at him. Blade flinched a little, seeing a fury in her eyes he'd only seen from that Diamond Dog he dated. Blane's legs fidgeted a bit as he tried to catch her attention.

"Uhhh, Rare?" asked Blane with a small hint of unease in his voice. "I kinda gotta pee."

"What?!" Rarity's head snapped back at Blane with a scowl. "You said you didn’t need to go!"

"Well, now I do! I think you squeezed my bladder or something!"

"Ugh!" Rarity threw her tape down as she hopped off the stage, keeping her empty champagne glass in her grasp. "Fine!" answered the mare in a less-than-patient tone as she went to the kitchen for a refill. "Upstairs, first door on the right!"

"Thank you!" Blane quickly hopped off the stage, making the ground shake a little as he landed hard and lumbered up the stairs like a giant in a dollhouse.

After being able to breath normally again, Canvas's eyes widened when he looked up at the wall. "Troy!" Canvas quickly poked at his mate's side with a hoof, using his other hoof to point to the clock. "Troy, look at the time."

Troy's eyes peered up at the clock on the wall, making him sigh when he saw the time. "Seriously, already?" Troy groaned before making a quick stretch, "Okay , I gotta get to work, guys."

Troy bent his head in to give a quick kiss to Canvas (which caused the triplets to give off a sarcastic “Awww!” for Troy to hear), which was followed by the stallion pulling Troy's work vest out of his art bag. "Don't work too hard, okay?"

"No problem," replied Troy with a smile, nuzzling Canvas lightly before making his way to the door

"Hey!" shouted Blaze, who was still on the couch. "How about the wedding food?!"

"Blaze!" yelled Troy more angrily as he reached the door. Not wanting to deal with this, Troy didn’t even look back at him as he shouted while opening the door. "I don't care how much you want it, we're not giving you beanie weenies!"

Unfortunately as soon as opened the door halfway though his statement, he was greeted by a very confused Fluttershy who was standing at the doorway. "I, uhhh…" The yellow Pegasus's eyes looked away from Troy as she tried to speak. "I wasn't… going to ask for that…"

Troy's eyes widened in shock, his feathers ruffling out a little from embarrassment. "Oh! Uhh, Fluttershy!" Troy tried to crack a nervous smile and make a light chuckle, hoping to explain what he just said. "Uhhhh… I wasn't, ummm…"

"Fluttershy?!" Blade sprung to the front door with a smile upon hearing her name. And as soon as he saw her, the Gryphon's face beamed up while standing beside his brother. "Hey!"

Upon seeing Blade, Fluttershy's face lit up like a tree on Hearth's Warming Eve. "H-hi, Blade!"

"Oh, goodness!" cried out Rarity from the kitchen, who hurriedly rushed back to the living room to make sure Blade kept his claws to himself. "Fluttershy, dearie, I didn't expect you to come by so early today."

"Oh!" Fluttershy's demeanor suddenly grew more timid as she looked away bashfully. "I'm sorry. I just… I didn't know you had company…"

The yellow mare's eyes slowly peered back at Blade, her cheeks growing an obvious shade of pink. Seeing how Fluttershy and Blade were staring at each other, Troy cringed a bit as he stepped past them. "Oh man," muttered the silver Gryphon as he put his work vest on, "I hope Dash doesn’t see them like this…"

By the time Troy flew off, leaving Fluttershy and Blade standing alone by the door, Rarity was quick to intervene as she levitated the copy of Changeling Slaughterhouse in her aura. "Here's your album back darling," said Rarity as she desperately tried to stand between the two. "Although, if I'm to be completely honest, I don't think it's necessarily my sort of thing."

The unicorn shuddered a little at saying that, knowing that she was greatly understating how much she detested that noise her friend insisted on calling "music". Fortunately, Fluttershy didn't look offended as she took her album from Rarity's blue magic. "Well, that's okay," replied the Pegasus in an understanding tone. "I know it isn’t for everypony."

"That's right," added Blade as he tried to stand in a more refined posture while speaking towards the unicorn. "I think it's easy to say that my work is more of a… sophisticated taste to get used to."

"Uh-huh," blurted Rarity in a less-than enthusiastic tone of voice. Her gaze then turned to Fluttershy as she asked, "Fluttershy, which song from that album did you say was your favorite again?"

Fluttershy grew a more natural smile before answering, "Oh, that would be 'Face-Eater Orchestra'!"

Rarity rolled her eyes toward Blade, hoping that her friend's answer was enough to extinguish his claim about his music being "sophisticated". Of course, with the way the Gryphon still kept his cocky grin, it was evident that Blade thought otherwise. "What?" asked Blade as he noticed Rarity's expression. "It has an orchestra in it! It's all kinds of classy!"

"Uhhh… Rarity?"

Blane's voice caught Rarity's attention, and she looked behind her to see the huge Gryphon at the top of the steps. He had a confused look on his face as he pointed back down the hallway he came from. "You mind if I ask you something?"

Canvas, overhearing Blane's tone of voice, looked over from his loveseat with a worried expression. "Oh no! Don't tell me you clogged her toilet too!"

Rarity's eyes went wide in a panic. "WHAT?!"

"NO! No, no!" Blane quickly put up his claws to keep the unicorn from storming up the stairs. "I didn’t do THAT! I was just wanting to ask something, okay?"

Rarity paused for a couple seconds, managing to make a quick sigh at his insistence that her bathroom wasn't ruined. "Alright. Wha…What is it?"

"Ummm…" Blane looked back down the hallway, keeping his perplexed look before asking, "Why do you have a mating symbol in your room?"

Rarity's head shot back a little in shock, not expecting the Gryphon to ask a question like that. "What?!"

"Yeah, that painting you have in your room?" Blane pointed toward the direction of Rarity's bedroom before looking back at her. "You know, the one by your bed?"

"I…" Before she could process what the buck Blane was talking about, Rarity's brow furrowed as she glared up at him. "And just what were you doing in my bedroom?!"

"I saw your cat, and I wanted to pet it."

Rarity's jaw went a little agape, not being able to imagine how terrified her cat Opal must've been to see someone like Blane trying to touch her. Meanwhile, Blane continued as he went back to topic, "But yeah, that painting on the wall is a Zebrican mating symbol."

Rarity's face froze in stunned terror, hoping more than anything that the Gryphon was misinformed. While Blaze and Blade ran up the stairs, wanting to see for themselves, Canvas looked over at Rarity before asking, "Wait a minute, you mean that one that I painted when I first came to Ponyville?"

"Th-Tha-THAT'S NOT WHAT IT IS!" Stammered out the unicorn loudly. Her head turned between Canvas and Fluttershy before adding, "That's just a floral pattern! It doesn't mean tha--"

"WHOA!" shouted Blaze from upstairs. "He's not kidding!"

Blade, keeping a wide-eyed look on his face, came back to the top of the stairs as he spoke down to Rarity. "Rare, how could you not know that? That symbol's used in, like, every brothel in Zebrica! It's supposed to mean that you're super horny!"

Rarity gasped in horror, but quickly changed her look to an angered scowl up to him. "THAT IS NOT TRUE!"

"Yeah it is!" shouted all three Gryphons from upstairs at the same time.

When Rarity turned around, she saw Fluttershy looking back at her with a wide-eyed stare. Her cheeks were now more flushed than before. "Oh… oh my."

"They're lying!" snarled the unicorn as she kept one hoof pointed up the stairs. "That is not what I have painted in my bedroom!"

"Um, are you sure?" asked Canvas as he got off his seat and walked towards her. "Didn't you say that you found that pattern off a book when I first painted it?"

"Yes, I--" As soon as she said that, Rarity gasped as she froze in place. Thinking it over, Rarity did find that floral-looking piece in a book. More specifically, it was in one of Zecora's books, which she noticed while visiting her hut one day. Slowly, the white mare's eyes widened in growing dread, desperately hoping that she didn't accidentally use a symbol like THAT as a decoration piece. "I… I…"

Seeing how worried Rarity was looking, Canvas's head turned over to the stairway while the three giggling Gryphons came back down. "Guys," asked the stallion in an uneasy tone, "is that seriously what I painted up there?"

"YEAH!" said all three in unison. Struggling not to laugh, Blaze kept a smirk on his beak and added, "if you want, I think I have some pics for proof--"

"THAT IS NOT WHAT I HAVE IN MY BEDROOM!"

In a blight of fury, Rarity lit her horn to grab everyone inside of her home. She then levitated Canvas and the triplets out of the boutique, plopping them into her yard before storming out of her front door. "I'll prove it!" shouted the unicorn as she locked her door shut, walking past a surprised Fluttershy who was still on the front porch. "I am going to find Zecora, show her that painting on my wall, and prove that it doesn't mean… THAT!"

With that, the white mare kept fuming as she stomped away with an obvious pout, leaving everyone else in a silent state of confusion. "Ummm… huh," blurted out Canvas first, "I guess our appointment is over."

Blaze was the next one to break the silence. "Well, that seemed like a bit of an overreaction!"

"I know!" added Blane in agreement. "All I did was point out a little detail! She should be glad that I helped her!"

Looking around, Canvas sighed before turning his attention to Blaze and Blane. "You know what, I'm thinking of heading back to my studio."

"Why?" asked Blaze with a skewed brow.

"Well, to be honest, I was wanting to check on Lyle. I never really got a chance to talk with him about the painting, and I just want to make sure that he's okay. Plus…" Looking past blaze and Blane, Canvas blinked a couple times as he realized something felt off. "Ummm, guys? Where's Blade?"

The other two Gryphons turned around, now noticing that Blade was indeed gone. Even though it was surprising that a Gryphon as noticeable as Blade could disappear that easily, it didn’t take long for them to realize what may have occurred. Especially since Fluttershy was missing too.

"Oh boy…" Blane grew a sly smirk on his beak and turned to his brother, who had an equally large grin of his own. "I think ol' Bladey-Boy is at it again!"

"Buck yeah, he is!" Blaze put up his claw, prompting his brother to give it an enthusiastic slap. Meanwhile, Canvas rolled his eyes as he let them be, honestly not wanting to get involved in anything bad that might happen because of this.


Over the town of Ponyville, none of the ponies bustling along the streets seemed to notice Rainbow Dash shooting across the skies faster than usual. Even though her midday hours were usually spent getting lunch or taking a power-nap, the cyan Pegasus had her focus on something else. After getting word from a couple of her coworkers, as well as Troy after grilling him a little, Dash found out that Fluttershy was spotted walking along town with that Blade guy.

So, instead of getting her daily nap, the mare decided to search for Fluttershy before anything bad could happen. Rainbow Dash may have trusted her friend, and knew better than to intrude on Fluttershy's personal life like this, but she certainly wasn't going to stand by if that creepo Gryphon tried to do anything to her. Because of that, her eyes were peering down along the streets like a hawk, soaring silently as she put her focus on anything that might give hint to where they were. Unfortunately, aside from seeing Rarity trying to drag Zecora somewhere, Dash wasn't able to notice anything out of the ordinary in her first sweep.

Just as she was about to turn around and make another scan of Ponyville, Rainbow Dash saw the other two, Blaze and Blane, perched at a table outside a coffee shop. When the mare landed to confront them, neither of the two seemed to notice her, mostly because the two were busy arguing about something.

"Oh, come on!" griped Blane as he held a large pot of coffee in his claw. "How can that NOT be a kickass idea?!"

"Are you serious?!" Blaze kept a skeptical stare on his brother as he held a pot of his own. "In what universe would a waterbed that doubles as a urinal be a good idea?!"

"Why not?! Think about it: you wouldn't have to get out of bed to take a leak, it lowers plumbing costs, it helps warm the bed up at night--"

"I'm not going to sleep in my own pee, dude!"

"It's not sleeping in pee! It's sleeping on a bag of pee! It's totally different!"

Not wanting to hear any more of this, Rainbow Dash waved her hoof in front of them to catch their attention. When they paused their discussion and turned to her, Dash kept a stern expression before asking, "Where is he?"

Blaze and Blane looked back at each other for a second. "Uhhh…" The two turned back to Rainbow before Blaze asked "Where's who?"

"Who do you think?!" asked Dash in an annoyed tone. "Where did your brother Blade go with my friend?!"

"Aaahhhh…" After raising their brows in understanding, the two quickly put their claws up in denial. "We have no idea," answered Blane honestly.

"Ugh!" Rainbow put a hoof to her face, not wanting to think of where those two may have been at the moment. Even though she doubted that Fluttershy would do anything too risqué, it was Blade that the cyan mare was worried about; if half the stories that Troy told her about that guy were true, then that metal singer was nothing but a load of trouble for her friend.

"There you blokes are!"

Rainbow and the two Gryphons looked up to see Blade soaring down from the skies, who looked especially happy when he landed near their table. "You guys won't believe what happened with that Fluttershy gal!"

"What happened?" asked Blaze and Blane at the same time.

"Yeah, Blade," added Rainbow Dash in a much harsher tone of voice. "What DID happen?"

"I, uhhh…" Even though he meant to only be talking with his brothers about it, the inclusion of Dash was enough to make the Gryphon pause momentarily. Looking at her for a moment, Blade made a light shrug of his shoulders before completing his statement nonchalantly. "I just, ummm… got invited for tea at her place tomorrow."

Blaze and Blane both made an involuntary "Ooooohhhh" noise as small grins crept up on their beaks. Despite trying not to show it, Rainbow Dash saw what they did immediately, making her narrow her eyes on them in suspicion. "What?"

The two looked away from her with faux-innocent looks on their faces. "Nothing."

Even though she could tell that it definitely wasn't nothing, her gaze returned to Blade, who still had a goofy grin on his beak.

"Just so you know," began Dash in a brooding tone as she walked up to Blade, poking his feathered chest with a hoof. "When Fluttershy says she wants to have tea with someone, she actually means having tea. It's doesn't mean anything else. Got it?"

Rainbow stood on her hind legs so she was eye-to-eye with Blade, peering at him like he was one wrong statement away from having his beak broken. Despite seeing how serious the mare was acting, Blade kept his smirk as he put up his claw in assurance. "Don't worry, alright? I know what tea means, and I'm not going to overstep any boundaries. I swear."

Rainbow Dash bent in a little closer, eyeing the Gryphon like she was trying to look inside his brain to see what he was really thinking. However, after another moment of intense staring, she finally backed off, keeping her eyes on him as she began to fly away.

Rainbow pointed her hoof at Blade as she began to flap her wings and lift herself off the ground. "I'm warning you."

With that, the mare turned away, leaving the three Gryphons at their table. As soon as she was out of sight, Blaze and Blane regrew their smirks towards Blade. "Awwww yeah!"

The two put their claws up, expecting Blade to smack them in victory; however, the skinny Gryphon just grew a perplexed brow at them. “What?”

“Don’t give me that!” said Blane with a cheeky grin, “The two of us KNEW that you’d be going to her place for ‘tea’!” He was sure to make quotation marks with his talons when he said the word “tea”, making sure that his brother got the hint.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa!” Blade put his claws up to stop his brothers from making any assumptions. “It’s not like that at ALL, guys! I’m just going to her place for tea! That’s it!”

“Uh-huh,” replied Blaze with a skeptical smirk. “First it’s the ‘T’, and then it’s the ‘D’, right?”

Blane grinned at his brother’s remark before putting his claw out to him. “Yeah, dude!”

While the two high-taloned each-other, Blade rolled his eyes as he took his seat beside him. “Aww, come on! I’m really not going to do anything like that! Flutters is special!”

“Oh, yeah right!” Blaze turned his gaze toward Blade, not believing a single word if what he just said. “I seriously doubt that YOU of all Gryphons would try to take things slow!”

“Yeah!” added Blane in agreement. “I heard they named a few brothels in Zebrica after you after all the stuff you did there!”

Blade scoffed as he tried to defend himself. “I’m seriously not-- Well, I am pretty proud of that, I won’t lie… But still, I’m not gonna be like that with Fluttershy! She’s the first girl I met in a long time who really appreciates my music! I mean, she has every single one of my albums! Even Mum can’t tell what half of them are called!”

“Ugh!” Blane rubbed his temple with his talons in irritation. “Just say ‘Mom’, you weirdo! You’re not from Trottingham!”

In the skies above the coffee shop, none of the Gryphons seemed to notice a small section of the overcast skies opening just a tiny bit.

“Come on…” Blaze bent in towards Blade as he grew a sly smirk on his beak. “You’re telling me that if you go there tomorrow, and she tried to put the moves on you, that you WOULDN’T try to have a little fun-time?”

Blade sighed, averting his eyes from his brothers, muttering under his breath, “I can’t bloody believe you guys right now.”

“Dude, seriously!” Blane leaned back in his seat, making it dangerously close to breaking under his massive weight. “Are you telling us that you DON’T wanna tap that?!”

Blade groaned in irritation, knowing that his brothers weren’t going to quit unless he just said what they wanted to hear. So, after a low sigh, Blade shrugged his shoulders before spekaing in a semi-truthful tone, “Well… I can’t say that I would be completely against that…”

"YEAH!!!"

While the two Gryphons cheered and cackled like idiots at their table below, Blade just rolled his eyes while staying in his seat, glad to at least get them off his case. Meanwhile, none of them seemed to notice the skies above them, or the very enraged Rainbow Dash sitting above the cloud line. Even though she didn’t hear the beginning of what Blade said, she certainly heard that last statement.

Her teeth grinded together as she saw red in her eyes, and it took every fiber of being to not shoot down and give those Gryphons a major beat-down. "Those… dirty… sons of…"

Luckily, the mare stopped herself, clenching her eyes shut as she took several deep breaths. Desperate to keep herself from doing anything illegal, Dash tried to think to herself to weigh her options.

Okay, this is simple: I just gotta tell Fluttershy what I heard. Easy as that. Wait… No, that might not work. She's obsessed with that guy! She'd probably try to act like I was exaggerating or something. Heck, she might try to say something like "Oh, he's a gentle soul once you get to know him." Urgh! Why can't she see that guy is a total creep?! I swear, that Blade is almost as bad as…

Rainbow Dash's eyes shot wide open. As soon as a certain thought sprung into her mind, a small smile began to creep on her lips. Remembering a fun little fact in regard to her friend Fluttershy, Rainbow no longer seemed to mind what Blade was planning to do the next day. In fact, as soon as she got off her cloud, the gears in her head started to turn as she flew away, knowing exactly what she planned to do.

All that she needed was to do, was find a friend of a friend.


Canvas slowly reopened the door to his studio, letting a faint line of light emerge inside amongst the surprisingly dark space. Even though his studio wasn't usually this dark around this time, the overcast skies definitely amplified how little light was inside.

Looking around, Canvas was surprised to see that the couch was now empty; after seeing how tired Lyle looked this morning, the stallion was sure that he would be passed out until nightfall. Of course, Canvas's feeling of surprise didn’t last long, and was only replaced by a painful sigh. He knew that Lyle felt guilty about what happened to the painting, but he really didn’t want the Gryphon to keep avoiding him because of it.

Before he could go back outside, and try to check the cloud structure above the barn, the sound of a light snore brought his head back inside the studio. As his eyes adjusted to the darkness, Canvas realized why he didn't see Lyle earlier; instead of lying on the couch, the black and white Gryphon somehow rolled off of it, and was now passed out on the floor.

Glad that the little guy was at least getting some rest, Canvas felt a small smile reappear on his muzzle. "Poor guy."

The stallion picked up the blanket and pillow that were still on the couch, not wanting Lyle to be without them as he slept. While he knew he probably couldn't be able to pick the Gryphon up (or least, he didn’t want to throw out his back to find out), Canvas knew he could at least make sure Lyle was comfortable if he was going to be on the floor. After throwing the blanket over Lyle, and lifting the Gryphon's head to put the pillow underneath, Canvas smiled in satisfaction before heading back towards the living space.

"Nnnnnn… Hmm?"

Hearing Lyle's groggy voice, Canvas turned around to see the Gryphon shuffle a little bit on the ground. Even though he was sure Lyle was going to be knocked out for most of the day, Canvas still felt bad that he may have inadvertently woken him up.

"Wha… what the…"

Realizing he wasn't on the couch, Lyle picked himself up to look around for a second, scanning his surroundings as he tried to get his brain to function.

Canvas quickly walked back up to him. "It's okay, Lyle," said Canvas softly as he tried to lead him to the couch to get some sleep. "You just fell on the floor. The couch is right there, okay?"

"Uhhhh…" The Gryphon's eyes darted around lazily, his brain barely able to process where he even was. Fortunately, Lyle was just conscious enough to lumber toward the couch, with Canvas trying to get him rested comfortably.

"Just get some rest, alright?" Canvas made sure the pillow and blanket were in place after Lyle was back on the couch, and tucked him in so he wouldn't fall out again. "You really need to get some sleep."

"Uh… uh-huh…" As soon as Lyle closed his eyes, Canvas was sure that the guy was out like a light. After sighing with a smile, Canvas was just about to turn around when he heard Lyle say something.

"He… hey, Canvas?"

Canvas turned back to Lyle, surprised that he was able to say anything coherent at the moment. "Y-yeah?"

"I'm… I'm just…" Lyle's face strained a little, like he was struggling to keep himself awake long enough to even speak. He writhed on the couch a little before he finished his statement. "I'm… I'm really sorry… about the painting…"

"Oh, Lyle…" Canvas hated to see Lyle still act so hung up about what happened, especially after everything the Gryphon did to try and fix it. So, the stallion sat on the ground beside the couch, keeping himself close to Lyle as he spoke truthfully. "I'm seriously not mad about the painting being wrecked, I swear."

"But!" Still trying to keep himself awake, Lyle lifted his head up from the couch, and tried to pry his eyes open as he continued. "You saw what happened to it, and you just… walked away from us…"

Canvas couldn't help cringing a bit after hearing that. While he felt that walking away was a better option than just yelling or hitting something, he could see why it would upset Lyle. The stallion looked down to the floor and sighed before trying to make a response. "Well, I… Yeah, okay. I was mad, I'm not gonna lie."

After a brief exhale, Canvas looked back up at Lyle and added, "But it wasn't like it happened on purpose! They explained how it happened, and I don't blame you for what happened at all." Thinking it over, Canvas shrugged his shoulders a little. "Actually, the fact that I didn’t recover the painting could also be a factor, if you think about it."

Lyle's head turned away from Canvas, obviously not buying that last statement. Catching that, Canvas made a light huff and tried to go a different route. "Dude, I know you feel bad, and I totally get it. If I was the one who did that, I'd feel guilty, too. But you could've at least tried to talk with me or something."

Lyle looked back at Canvas "You stormed off before I could!"

Canvas froze for a second, trying not to wince again. "Y… yeah," admitted the stallion guiltfully as he looked away for a moment, "I did… I needed to cool off, but… I guess I didn't react so great either."

Lyle, whose eyes were now more open than before, thought about Canvas's answer before making a small shrug. "Well… I guess it's better than just screaming at us."

"Exactly," said Canvas as he looked back at him. "Like, I knew it wasn't on purpose, so yelling wouldn't have done any good. I just… I didn't want to do anything I'd regret…"

Canvas blinked a couple times, knowing exactly why that statement rang so true for him. As events from several weeks ago began to resurface, the artist's eyes averted from Lyle, and his demeanor became more morose. "Getting mad and screaming your head off barely helps much in the long run. I… I learned that a while ago."

One of Lyle's brows skewed a little, unsure what Canvas was referring to. But before he could ask, Canvas quickly shook his head clear before returning his attention to Lyle. "But… Talking really can help, and I wanted to try to talk with you last night. But, since you were out in Cloudsdale, I couldn’t really get the chance. You see what I mean?"

Slowly, Lyle looked down as he made a small nod. To be honest, he remembered that Troy told him that Canvas was fine when he came by to see the damage; however, he only took that with a grain of salt since Canvas wasn't there. But still, despite his worries that the stallion would've still been pissed at him, Lyle knew that just hunkering away may have not been the best way to handle it, even if he did put that time to great use.

"Y-yeah," muttered Lyle honestly. "I… guess I was just expecting you to still be mad, so I… wanted to make it up to you."

Canvas smiled softly, knowing he couldn't be upset with him like this. "Well, you didn't have to go that far just to make things right, okay? I already forgave you before all that. And you know why?" When Lyle looked back at up at him, Canvas put his hoof on the Gryphon's shoulder before finishing his statement:

"Because that's what family does."

Lyle's brows rose in surprise, not expecting Canvas to make a response like that. However, when he saw the look of sincerity on the stallion's face, he could tell that he wasn't just saying that to make him feel better. Canvas really meant that. Just like Lyle meant it back before Canvas's birthday party.

Seeing how the tired smile on Lyle's face grew at hearing that, Canvas bent in to hug the Gryphon, who strongly returned the gesture. Before he could let go, Canvas was quick to add in an equally truthful manner, "But I really do appreciate what you did, Lyle. That drawing was awesome, and you saved me big time. Thank you."

Happy to hear that, Lyle gave him one last squeeze before letting go. "Thanks, dude," said the Gryphon in a more contented tone than before.

When Lyle got back to trying to resettle on the couch, Canvas grew a small smirk on his muzzle as he stood back up. "You still think you just make 'doodles', Lyle?"

Lyle scoffed a bit, but kept his smile as he laid back in his pillow. "Nah. Screw those teachers."

"He he he, that's the spirit!"

Knock Knock Knock

Canvas and Lyle both turned to the door in surprise, not expecting anyone to come by knocking. Even though he couldn't recall having any appointments today, Canvas got back on his hooves to see who it was. When he opened the door, Rarity was standing with a slumped stature, looking down at the ground like something has completely thrown off her confidence. Of course, given what he heard from Troy's older brothers, Canvas was pretty sure what it might have been.

"Canvas?" asked the unicorn in a very weak and meager tone of voice. "Can you please repaint that wall in my bedroom?"


Blade hummed a little tune to himself as he soared low along the grassy fields outside of Ponyville. Keeping a smile on his beak, the Gryphon had to admit that Equestria definitely had its perks; even though the lack of meat was definitely a buzzkill like no other, he certainly couldn't argue how gorgeous this land looked as he flew through the brisk overcast skies. The weather might've already been getting a bit cold, but Blade didn't mind the chilly wind hitting his brown feathers one bit.

Especially when an awesome Pegasus was waiting for him to have some tea.

Seeing Fluttershy's cottage in the distance, Blade picked up the pace as his beak grew an anxious smile. Troy tried to talk with him the night before, practically pleading him not to do anything to piss off his boss; of course, Blade was quick to assure him that nothing bad was going to occur. Despite what he said to his older brothers, he knew that he could at least be truthful to Troy without any ridicule.

So, after a careful landing onto the surprisingly soft grass outside Fluttershy's home, Blade made a quick stretch to ruffle himself out a little. And with a quick swipe of his claws, rubbing his feathers down to a slick-looking shine that really suited him, the Gryphon casually walked up to the door and knocked.

Knock Knock Kno--

Blade wasn't even able to finish his third knock before the door quickly opened, revealing an extremely happy-looking Fluttershy at the doorway. Seeing the mare's wide smile, going swimmingly well with her blushed cheeks, Blade almost broke his composure as he tried to stand in an aloof manner, leaning against the doorframe with a confident smirk. "Why hello there."

"H-h-hi, Blade," replied Fluttershy in a giddy tone of voice. Nearly giggling in glee, the mare stepped back and extended out a hoof to let him in. "Come on in, please."

"Why, thank you." Blade then strolled inside of the cottage, letting a welcome feeling of heat from the roaring fireplace hit his feathers and fur. As soon as he stepped inside, the Gryphon looked around with an impressed smile, surprised at how much larger the place really looked from the inside. Of course, before he could stroll over to the comfortable-looking couch, he noticed Fluttershy making her way to the kitchen with an excited look on her face.

"I already have some snacks and drinks set up in the dining room. Just let me check on a few things first."

"Oh, it's fine, m'lady," responded Blade as his eyes leered over at Fluttershy leaving the room. Before she could get out of sight, the Gryphon leaned his head to the side a little, getting a glimpse of her backside just a little longer before she disappeared in the kitchen. "Take all the time you need."

Before the grin on his beak could grow too wide, Blade felt something small hit him at the side of his head. "What the!" Rubbing his head, Blade looked down to see a small bean on the floor, which looked to be what was thrown at him.

And as soon as he saw the angry-looking rabbit sitting on top of a nearby table, Blade narrowed his eyes on him, realizing who it was that threw it.

"Hmmm…" Blade stood back upright as he stared at the bunny. "You must be Angel."

The white rabbit nodded, not changing the stern glare he was giving to Blade. Without saying a word, Angel lifted one of his paws, pointing it at his own eyes before directing it towards him.

Blade scoffed a little with a smirk, finding it slightly cute that this little bugger was trying to be "threatening". Keeping his grin, Blade decided to make a silent response; while Fluttershy was still in the kitchen, Blade pointed a talon at Angel, making sure the bunny saw as he then pointed to his own stomach, and rubbed at it while making a low "Mmmm-Mmmm" noise.

Angel's face grew slightly more uneasy, making him hop off the table and head towards the kitchen. However, before Blade could feel like he won, he saw the bunny stop dead in its tracks a couple feet from the kitchen. Seeing something inside of the room, the rabbit's eyes grew wide before he hightailed in the other direction, shooting up the stairs as fast as he could.

What the? Blade cocked his head in confusion as he saw how quickly Angel got away from the kitchen. What was his problem?

"Now remember…"

Blade overheard Fluttershy's voice coming out faintly from the other room. Not sure what it was about, one of the Gryphon's ears perked up a little as he tried to listen in.

"You have to be promise to be good today, alright?"

Wait a minute, thought Blade to himself, is she talking to herself? That seems a bit off.

"Okay, then."

After hearing a brief sigh after that faint statement, Blade saw Fluttershy reappear at the doorway, her anxious smile reappearing on her face as she faced him. "Okay, I have everything set!"

"Great!" said Blade happily as he began to walk towards the dining room. However, Fluttershy put a hoof up to stop him momentarily.

"Just one thing," added the mare, now talking in a slightly more cautious-sounding tone of voice. After taking a quick glance back into the other room, Fluttershy turned her head back to face Blade. "I know this is kind of short notice, but one of my friends wanted to join us for tea today. Would that be alright?"

Blade's brow rose a little, already getting a good idea of who it might be that would try to interrupt them like this. Of course, Blade didn’t really mind; if Rainbow Dash was that paranoid, then putting up with her during lunch wouldn’t be too bad. Besides, he’d like to know how someone so different than Fluttershy became friends with her.

"Oh, that's just fine," answered Blade in a confident tone. "I don't have any problem with that."

Fluttershy's smile reemerged to the same overjoyed state as before. "Great!" exclaimed the mare happily. She then went back to the other room as she continued speaking. "I'm really glad to hear that! I didn't plan to have that many guests, but he was just so insistent to actually meet you today!"

"Well, that's understa--" Blade's words froze as he caught what Fluttershy actually said. Narrowing his eyes in confusion, the Gryphon processed what he heard before repeating it to himself. "Wait a minute… he was just so insistent?"

"Well, come on in!" chirped Fluttershy gleefully from the dining room. “The cookies are ready!"

Hearing the word "cookies", Blade immediately disregarded his earlier worries as he strolled in, keeping his anxious smile for exactly three seconds after entering the dining room.

"Alright! I hope there's some oatmeal raisin cookieeeeeEEEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!"

Blade's entire body froze, including his heart, as he stood in a motionless state of horror. His eyes were shot wide open, staring straight at the ghastly yellow orbs peering straight back at him. Seeing who else Fluttershy invited for this get-together, Blade immediately understood why Angel rushed out so quickly; if the Gryphon knew who he was going to be dealing with, he would've done the exact same thing.

Looking at the terrified Gryphon, his grin only grew wider in anticipation, revealing more of his one jagged fang that hung from the right end of his gaping maw. Knowing that he was going to have a lot of fun with this fellow, he almost felt tempted to knead at his goatee a bit with the paw on his right arm; however, with Fluttershy standing next to him, he knew that he couldn't be too obvious. After all, he promised to be “good” today.

Seeming oblivious to how horrified Blade was looking, Fluttershy kept her smile as she stood beside the being, and pointed a hoof out to introduce him to their guest. "Blade, I'd like for you to meet my friend, Discord."

Fluttershy then turned to the Draconequus sitting beside her. "Discord, this is Blade."

Discord's leering stare on Blade only grew stronger with intensity, almost as if he was staring straight into the terrified Gryphon's soul. And with a lick of his reptilian tongue, wetting his lips as his smile grew wider, his red pupils pointed straight at Blade when he finally spoke.

"Why hello, Blade."

PreviousChapters Next