• Published 17th Nov 2013
  • 517 Views, 20 Comments

Enigma - steampunkwatchman



The future looks bleak and colorless. Destruction and debauchery run rampant in Equestria. Now it seems they have a companion, Death. Only the Princess's finest can solve these murders. Only one being can save them, a griffon named Enigma.

  • ...
0
 20
 517

Chapter 12: The Tribute

It had been a good four hours since we turned over the body and went our separate ways. The sudden police presence caused much commotion and we had to take the long way around the under-town within the cloud. Another trip through the muck of Cloudsdale filled with the souls of the dammed and forgotten. You know they say that it rains whenever a Pegasus dies in Cloudsdale. A sorta tradition to bring new life to the soil below or something and it is odd how it would rain in a cloud city? I mean why would you need it? Sometimes ponies can be so illogical. I thought as I had come back to the upper levels of Cloudsdale back to where the fat cats were But even as these thoughts swirled my head like smoke it poured and poured and poured. Buckets upon buckets of the stuff seemingly never ending as I made a beeline for the library to research that strange symbol I found on the floor beneath the mare. It was closed of course but that was a simple matter it isn’t as if ponies are lining up to steal books.

“Although I am sure that a few oughta go here” I mumbled as I broke an entering. Add that to my list of crimes I don’t intend on paying for. I scurried over and proceeded to boot up one of the ancient access terminals.

“My, My, this is older than my father!” I looked deeper at the old box running on what looked like bubble-gum, half a roll of toilet paper, and a spoon. It was a miracle the thing worked at all! And with a buzz the screen in green letters said Welcome and had a search bar beneath it. I typed in symbols searching for the section it would be in. Five whole agonizing long minutes of buzzing another ding came.

“200 B Historical Archives” I said to myself as I flew to the 200 section.

Scouring the branches of paper it the great forest. Heading deeper into its embrace until I came upon the section I was looking for a branch full of dusty nooks and crannies. From there I spent nearly 2 hours sifting through books ranging from military code to geography of ancient worlds. When I happened upon the book I was looking for a small thin leather bound book. With a title in a dialect I didn’t recognize flipping through it I found my symbol it was dark and although I did not understand its words just the way the words were written looked jarred jagged as if someone rushed the description and the symbol itself looked very powerful; the calligraphy screamed danger and the symbol itself It was occult like and while hard to describe, think a chalice with fires beneath it and a crown above. The cup is plain with nothing out of the ordinary on it, the fires engulfing it as the bejeweled crown floats majestically above. I stared at the book for a moment mesmerized then shut it; took one last look around for anything else that may have been of use. And, seeing nothing I walked towards the exit my mind racing for answers.

“How am I going to read this.” I said aloud I thought to myself when I knew who could.

I hated it but I knew it would be the only way. Especially at such a late hour. Funny how it was the early morning when I went into that under-town and met it’s unsavory characters. (It is funny how time flies.) So, as I felt the spell wearing off as I ran off with the book a crazed scheme in my head. I knew there was a pony who could read this but he was going to require some persuasion on my part and probably some calming down once I got to him. so with one last look I took off into a dive as I dove for Ponyville book in my mouth. Nearing the ground my velocity caring me faster and faster I felt a familiar pain wash upon my body.

"The spell! my mind screamed It was wearing off!" Like a hammer the pain came down upon it's anvil and as it became unbearable a bright light sprouted from within me (literally) and in quite the similar fashion to earlier I returned to my old self with the spectacle of the season bringing all eyes on me. Of course, hitting the ground face first didn’t help my situation either.

I must of blacked out for when I arose I heard sirens and saw search lights in the distance. I willed myself to get up my legs not wanting to move. But, they thrashed as the wild animals they were fighting as I dragged my battered body out of the small crater I had created. Feeling the pressure of the situation and hightailed it out of there. Bobbing and weaving between trees and stumps trying to put as much distance between me and my pressures. Odds are they were employed by the soulless creature at the Acres. It would not matter how she would get me some how.

"Or so she thought..." I said trailing of as I seeing an opportunity and seizing it sighed in relief as I crawled into a small hole. The majority of the lights were back at the crater probably the law enforcement most likely having called for reinforcements they should stay at the scene of the crime. But, as I was expecting some of the dirtier ones on my tail and soon enough they arrived a small squad of about 6 from my count in the hole I was using.

Scanning the ponies that arrived I looked for a weakness when I saw a young gun. He was probably half scared to death by being blackmailed into service. (more often than not that is how this scum-bucket got it’s cattle) If they didn’t do what that sleazeball said they would have a fate worse than death. Along with their immediate family and friends who would soon follow them into the abyss. Using some classic misdirection I managed to avoid the young gun and his overbearing grizzled cohorts. Slinking away I managed to reach my destination a small building one of the oldest in Ponyville in fact not crumbling mind you it was very well kept but the church wasn’t your state of the art palace either. The mares up stairs did their best to keep it that way.

I rapped on the door once twice three times before I heard some grumbling and saw a light flicker.

“Enigma you sorry bastard what are you doing knocking down my doorstep at this hour?” said an cranky priest in pink heart pajamas

“Father I require some advice and a place to hole up you got room in there?” I said with a smile

“My boy for you of course!” the Father set down his candlestick and shut the door behind me.

“A candlestick Father? Really? I thought that the Al-”

“Shut it! Or I smack the stupid outta ya! The Almighty has the night off and I don’t want to hear anything about your philosophy bullshit. Ya hear!” He jumped 2 octaves on the last word his voice cracking a bit.

“Okay okay, my apologies father.” I said making a mental note not to bug him in the middle of the night again.

“Tis, fine boy now I am going to get some wine before we talk red or white?”

“Red is fine” I replied wasn’t a fan of wine but it was hopeless to argue with him.

Father Flame (or Hot-Head) depending on who you talked to was a short old stallion who according to him is still in his prime. The guy is definitely not the best example of a priest often going to the bar to have a few “social” drinks after work in his younger years. (As well as, probably last night in all honesty.) But, his heart is in the right place though and the retired fighter is still just as stubborn and short tempered as ever. I met him shortly after I arrived and we became good friends. We have even sparred on occasion as he is still able to hold his own in hoof to hoof. Or would it be hoof to claw? He is a crazy old sod but he is one of the best ponies I have met having never let me down when it counts. He let me stay in the church until I could get on my feet and the guy still heads the annual Wares for Mares drive where local businesses give their wares to the families in need.

“AH HA! I FOUND A GOOD YEAR!” He yelled at the top of his lungs from his cellar the stained glass shook a bit

‘Shit it was going to be one of those nights.” I said aloud as he returned and filled both our cups with the liquid.

“Ah, a fine year indeed.” he said draining the rest of his glass before asking “Now then my boy what is troubling you?”

I took a sip to be polite before telling of my misadventures leaving out some of the more deadly details. I was still in a house of the Celestial you know. As I rapped it up I got to the library and he stopped me.

“So you need me to explain this symbol you found?” he said draining another glass

“Essentially yes.” I said glad he didn't get half way through the bottle yet it was a slow night for him.

“Let me see.” he said I passed my drawing and the book I had tucked under my wing flipping to the page I found. He grabbed his spectacles and began to skim the lines. Squinting to make out the minuscule text.

“You see Father I just don’t understand it. It is in an ancient dialect.” I said hoping to spur him along those cops would pick up my trail soon.

He looked up at me “My boy do you know what this means?”

I shook my head a gesture I did not like at all.

He took a heavy sigh “ This symbol is called the Tribute it was used long ago before there was a Ponyville or even the tribes existed this was one of the first and most dangerous symbols ever created.”

“Why?” I spoke some worry in my voice I hoped it wasn't to bad.

“My boy the cup represents one mind if filled to the proper level the crown (He drew a line on the paper connecting the two) accepts the offering and can give a variety of things. The flames however (drawing another line) Means that it isn’t accepted and that the user will be punished” He said his voice shaky “If someone is doing this than you must stop them we cannot let them succeed.”

“In what?” I inquired

“In resurrecting the (he dropped his voice) Lilitha Kneph.” (Li-itha K-ne-ff)

“The Lil-” he cut me off

“We do not speak it’s name.”

"But you jus-" I complained, more out of curiosity than vanity.

“Not important if these disciplines are planning a summoning than you must find a way to stop them. Her name translates roughly to Demon Mind or Spirit of Night something like that.” he said heading into a back room

“Father! Slow down!” I cried this was a lot of info to process. "Murders that is normal. Demon summoning ponies is another matter entirely!"

“Ah here my boy. Take this you shall need it pack this and that and th-” He continued seemingly ignoring me.

“Father!” I yelled at him

He turned “My boy if she comes back than we are doomed I have heard the reports you're on the run. I know your skill I have sparred with you. I know your heart for we have spoken true. My boy, do not be worried I will supply all the materials you need for this trek. You must supply the courage.”

“Father I... I ...that it is insane.” I said “I may be a warrior but I am still only a griffin. A single old bird.” I said slowly I was doubting myself but could you blame what would you do in this situation. My mind was ripe for the picking with the shit I had seen I never wanted to re-live that.

“Edwin." He said turning to me he looked deep in my eyes and spoke these words. "You get some rest and heal think of what you need to do. Fear is very real and you may be scared in fact I am right now scared shitless. I am scared that you may lose but I am even more scared you may lose yourself. You are battle scarred I understand that you should of never had to endure such pain. But, because of that fact that you are here in front of me alive and well shows me you had the bravery we need. You have that commitment that is rare in this day in age for sticking it out and choosing to stay here after such anguish. You made a choice to come to me tonight now I ask you to look into that heart of yours not your head as it will befuddle you with trepidation's of false ideas. These scenarios will try to control you. Fight it and you will emerge the victor. Now go! The bed upstairs is ready for you rest while you can it may be your last slumber in a while. We will have much to do in the morning.” He said it in a voice of such righteous conviction and power that I teared up a bit.

“B-But the Hit-” I stuttered

“You do realize you are in a church right? I would like to see them try and get you.” He said with a slight smile putting me at ease.

As I walked up to my bed I wondered whether I could do this. I could take a hit for sure but I didn’t have magic and my mind was in a fragile state. I hardly slept and thus my defenses weakened causing demons enter me and rekindle old memories I had buried deep within. I was scared Father Flame was right but when I heard his voice how he believed in me. (even if he was just some old stallion in pink heart pajamas) He was one of the first to see the good in me. I just hope that I can do what he asks. After all he has always been there for me I owe him a favor. So, as I crawled into the bed roll I stared at the sky and for the first time in a long time I prayed.

“Look I know I ain’t a saint but I could use a little help here. I know I never really talk about my misdeeds my false crusades in my past that haunt me even now. But, I am going to set that right so if you ain’t going then at least don’t hinder me. For I swear that if you do there will be hell to pay.” I sighed

A few minutes passed with nothing not even the crickets disturbing this night.

“Fine then remain silent I don’t need you anyway.” I said in some fury and impatience, my emotions were mixed, I couldn’t control myself as I ended up crying myself to sleep. Memories of my past sins coming back to drown me in the sea of my own bad blood. A personal hell and it’s demons were back to great me. I thought of the days events ,reflected on my life of hate and regarded it with the malice it caused me. I thought of the symbol and who the user was. I thought of the demon and the task set out before. and with all that getting caught in the Acres didn't seem that bad. But, as I drifted off into my minds dreamscape I could of sworn I heard a strange sound almost as a response to something but that is all I could manage to make in my dreary state as I finally shut my eyes as fatigue overcame my weary body.

Author's Note:

It has been to long. I am sorry that I haven't worked on this for so long. Life got in the way and I just haven't had the time. I will continue this story the best I can as things have started to slow down but I will not promise a set schedule. I will in the meantime post these Un-edited and re-post them once my editor gets a chance to do his part. Again sorry for the delay but I hope you understand. -SW

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment