• Published 17th Sep 2013
  • 888 Views, 66 Comments

The War in Equestria. - BluesyTreble



Two 15th century soldiers fighting in the Hundred Years' War get sucked into Equestria, ending up in the Everfree forest.

  • ...
6
 66
 888

3 A cottage of animals and a seemingly failed spell.

Ralf sat back down, confused. They had confirmed they were not on the plane they once were, but why? Was it God's decision? Ralf doubted that, for God didn't seem like a person who would favor purple over the traditional golden-yellow glow holy entities were usually portrayed in. Ralf recalled a quarrel with another Welsh archer that led to a pub brawl. Could the Welshman be one of Owain Glyndŵr's men? He remembered the priest who followed his company into Normandy had claimed Owain Glyndŵr had pagan magicians. Ralf had highly doubted that, for he believed that if Owain Glyndŵr had magicians, he would have successfully revolted. But now the possibility seemed high, for there was no other way to explain him and the man-at-arms being yanked from the known world into an unfamiliar land. He mentally apologized to the Welsh archer, hoping he would somehow forgive them and use his pagan magic to bring the two men back safe.

"Terence," Ralf called.

"Yes?"

"There was a pub brawl at The Roundhouse, were you there?" Ralf enquired.

"Nay, but I've heard of it. Why?"

"Just want to figure out why we're here."

"We'll figure that out later. Let's get moving, we don't want another creature trying to maul us." Terence picked up his helmet, sheathing his sword and slinging the buckler over his back. Ralf decided to keep the bow strung, carrying it with him in his left hand.

**********************************************************************************
"Twilight, that failed spell was so funny!" Spike guffawed noisily, rolling about on the varnished oak floor and kicking his legs in the air.

"SPIKE! You've been laughing about that for more than two hours now!" An exasperated Princess Twilight Sparkle groaned. "In fact, it was two hours, twenty-seven minutes, and thirty eight seconds plus the time it takes me to finish this sentence!" She continued. "Its not funny! We could have gotten seriously injured!"

Twilight had tried to accelerate the growth of a caterpillar, despite Princess Celestia's advice not to attempt a spell of that magical capacity, Twilight had decided to try anyway. She had charged a ball of magic, greater than any magic she had ever tried to do, and released. Instead of sending the glowing, thrashing magical sphere traversing the room at the caterpillar, the charged bolt had disappeared, leaving a bewildered Twilight Sparkle standing in the middle of the room. The seemingly bemused caterpillar crawled out a nearby window, unaffected by the spell.

**********************************************************************************
The man-at-arms and archer walked along, now tracking a trail of hoofprints left in the soft ground.

"If there's a horse here, there must be a village or people nearby!" Terence had concluded, while Ralf washed the manticore blood off him in a nearby river.

They followed it some more.

"It's leading us out of the forest." Observed Ralf, devoid of any traces of the manticore he had practically gutted a few minutes ago.

True enough, light filtered in as the trees grew less dense. The two men walked out, noticing a dirt road, more implications of civilisation. The early morning sky was rather dark, the sun only beginning to rise, creating a gentle brightness that rose slowly before it would reach its fiery peak and signal the beginning of a new day. The men walked more, coming across a small cottage. It was slightly smaller than most of the timber frame cottages both men had seen back in England. The cottage was surrounded and filled with animals of all sorts. Rabbits darted past them while chickens clucked and flapped in a nearby coop. A bear snoozed, back propped against a sturdy tree. As the men neared the front door, Terence noticed the door was split in half, with the top and bottom half being able to open seperately. Ralf was about to knock when a butter-colored, pink-maned mare clutching a sack labelled "BIRDSEED" nudged open both doors and stood staring wide-eyed at the two unfamiliar creatures before her.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH"

Author's Note:

HIYA! Next chapter would prob be uploaded by maybe Saturday, Singapore Time (UTC +8 HRS) I'll try to get it on here earlier. Also I apologise if you find a slight drop in quality, I completed this right before school XDD