• Published 17th Sep 2013
  • 887 Views, 66 Comments

The War in Equestria. - BluesyTreble



Two 15th century soldiers fighting in the Hundred Years' War get sucked into Equestria, ending up in the Everfree forest.

  • ...
6
 66
 887

15 First Strike

Ralf was jolted from his thoughts by the sudden sound of thundering hooves. The Ponies were pursuing the routing Orcs. He perked up and ran after them, barely just managing to catch up.

The Orcs had led them into the Everfree forest, deep into the forest into a small clearing. Orcish deep-red and black banners hung on poles topped with skulls. The routing orcs turned to face the Pony army. A spear-thrower drew a horn and blew three long blasts. The Orcs braced their weapons. The Ponies did the same. Terence adjusted an espalier. For a few seconds the two forces faced each other. The ground began to shake. A gigantic grass-covered trapdoor opened and slammed on the ground. The open door revealed a murky blackness from which fresh Orc warriors swarmed out to reinforce their beaten and injured comrades' lines. The Pony army recoiled, clearly demoralised at the sight of an army nearly ten times their size.

"Run." Twilight whispered.

The Ponies galloped for their lives, with the two humans trailing behind. They tracked their way back to Ponyville, where they sat, rested, and waited for the Orcs. No massive Orc army came. The Mane Six worriedly gathered at Sweet Apple Acres again, where another meeting was held, this time with the Militia commander, Sir Lionheart.

Lionheart had agreed to call for help from other settlements all over Ponyville. A fresh batch of Royal Equestrian Spear-Stallions teleported into Ponyville. Lionheart waved them toward the town square before continuing the discussion. Meanwhile the smithy overclocked, producing crossbows and arbalests and a surprisingly quick rate of four a minute. Bolts went for twelve a minute. Lionheart had proposed to them to re-organise the army, with health screenings and all. This way all stallions-at-arms would be at the standard desired physique and ditto the crossbow-ponies and arbalists. By the next week the army was more or less balanced out, with units marching in from Appleloosa, Manehatten and the Crystal Empire, where their elite infantry units were most valued. Nearly all of the Appleloosians, who were mostly Earth Ponies, had immense strength, but the strength they possessed was nearly quadruple the strength of an average Earth Pony. Spending their entire lives on applebucking and tough farm work, they could bend steel bars and smash sturdy oak doors with ease. The Appleloosians were all sent straight to the infantry lines at first glance. The Manehatten citizens took up mostly the crossbow-pony units, with a few stronger ones being arbalists. The Crystal Empire had powerful magi. Twilight went straight to the magi units, with Rarity barely passing the test. Rainbow Dash, much to her disappointment, stayed as an arbalist. The timid Fluttershy promptly opted out of the crossbow-pony units to work for the hospital. Her appeal was accepted, to her massive relief. Applejack, at first glance, went straight into the infantry. Pinkie went straight into infantry as well.

The gathered force now numbered twelve thousand, barely matching the amount of warriors fighting in the Orcish army that ambushed the much smaller force previously. Dozens of Pony units now stood proud in thick lines, proud banners of their hometown flying in the strong wind. Plate and mail shone, and weapons gleamed in the sunlight.