• Published 17th Sep 2013
  • 888 Views, 66 Comments

The War in Equestria. - BluesyTreble



Two 15th century soldiers fighting in the Hundred Years' War get sucked into Equestria, ending up in the Everfree forest.

  • ...
6
 66
 888

11 The battle for Ponyville Part Two

A close look revealed to Ralf the cannon contained small pieces of coloured parchment-like material and what the ponies called "candies". The cobblestone street leading to the town square was held together by mere dirt. Thinking quickly, Ralf drew his archer's dagger, dug out half a dozen of the small but heavy stones and rolled them all down into the barrel of Pinkie's cannon before darting out the way, archer's dagger still drawn. Pinkie didn't notice, her eyes excitedly fixed onto the battle.

Ralf ran into battle, sticking his puny dagger into an unprepared orc face. The orc dropped the poleaxe with a clatter, clutching the dagger embedded in his face. Ralf ducked for the poleaxe, scooping it up before brandishing it at the lines of orcs that now filled his vision. Unlike English armies, the orcs massed together, spear-throwers and infantry alike in one gargantuan and numerous group, they charged continously, trying to muscle their way through each time, only to be repelled again and again by Equestrian Stallions-at-arms who valiantly held their positions and never once broke ranks and routed. The stallions at arms fought on their back two legs, their forehooves curled around their weapons. Ralf lifted the hefty poleaxe, turned to the right and gave a clumsy swing, staggering a pair of axe-wielding orcs. The blow had harmlessly glanced off the black chestplate the orcs wore. Another orc shoved his way in and punched Ralf squarely on the forehead. Rald's head spun and reeled. He drew back the poleaxe and blindly thrusted with the spear point, feeling the point crack through a rib and rip into a lung. Another orc rammed a clenched fist into his chest, knocking him back onto the stallions-at-arms who pushed him back upright.

"We can't keep pushing back and forth like this!" A portly stallion-at-arms clutching the Celestian banner shouted at the massed troops.

Princess Twilight Sparkle teleported into the back of the Pony lines, dressed in gleaming lavender armour. The newly-crowned princess was surrounded with more stallions-at-arms, dressed in her own lavender colors and flying her proud banner of her cutie mark.

"Ponies! We have to be more organised!" She amplified her voice with a spell. "Stallions-at-arms stay in the battle! Unicorn magi, get out of the fray! Shoot at the enemy's flanks!"

The Orcs seemed to have done the same, for the spear-throwers now moved out of the melee and sent their spears skewering the Equestrian flanks. The fighting resumed, although it was more organised now, with spear throwers trying to wipe out the magi who were blasting back with fatal accuracy, burning off limbs and chunks of flesh with their searing lightning bolts. It was as if the melee had taken an even more brutal and gruesome turn. An Orc warrior staggered past Ralf, an arrow embedded in his thigh. Ralf knowing that ponies weren't archers and probably wouldn't have arrows to sell or provide him with, smacked the Orc across his head. Before the stout greenskin could recover, Ralf had already yanked the bodkin out of his thigh and shoved him back into his own lines, causing chaos and disarray at the new collision. Several Orc warriors were knocked off their feet. Stallions-at-arms scuttled towards the fallen bodies, slitting throats or breaking windpipes with a sickening stomp. Ralf slid his gaze away from the slaughter, having seen even worse back in Soissons. He ignored the Orc's scream and slung the poleaxe, bringing out once again the warbow. He nocked the bloody arrow and looked for a target. An orc in brass-trimmed polished black plate shouted commands, shoving warriors and occasionally pausing to yank an endangered Orc out of the fray and the jaws of death. Two banners, one deep red and one black, hung from some sort of holder from his back. Ralf adjusted his aim and hauled, eyes fixated on the shining bastard still yelling orders. The bow began to flex, limbs bending and submitting to the strength of the archer. Ralf loosed, the goose-fletched arrow streaking up into the air. It arced down, punching through the Orcish helmet and plunging into brain, killing the War Chieftan instantly. Almost immediately three long blasts sounded from an Orc horn. Orcs stopped fighting, looked up and instantaneously whole units of Orcs routed, eventually the whole army was on the run. The Equestrians gave chase, dragging back slow runners back into their lines and ganging up on them. Pinkie finally decided to use her cannon, pointing it at the retreating orcs. She fired the cannon, causing a sprinting pair of spear-throwers to disappear in a mist of blood. The stones Ralf had dug up did well.