• Published 16th Sep 2013
  • 1,410 Views, 8 Comments

Passion - RefugeInSilence



If you were asked what the definition of passion was, what would you say?

  • ...
4
 8
 1,410

The Definition of Passion

You've been here for the majority of the night waiting patiently for her to make an appearance, normally you wouldn't be seen in a high class place like this. You take a sip of your drink taking a gander round at your surroundings, various people and anthropomorphic ponies alike mingling like there wasn't anything unusual about the situations.

“It's like nothings different,” You think to yourself, “They've only arrived here just under a year ago.” You admit to yourself that it was strange at first, then again everyone wasn't sure what to make of all this at the time.

“Sorry I'm so late.” A warm gentle voice spoke, you smiled the voice in question was like music to your ears. “You know how Vinyl can get.” She let out a giggle. You look up at the owner of the voice in question, a beautiful mare wearing a long black dress with a small violet sash tied in a bow around her waist. She gazed at you happily with her bright magenta eyes, a small smile escaped as you wondered how lucky you were to meet such a lovely mare.

“It's no problem Octavia,” You reassure her, “Your here and that's all that matters to me.” She orders a her usual drink, which you insist on paying for. A moment of comfortable silence passes between you both, “...So how did it go?” You ask trying to make conversation, Octavia just shook her head.

“...It was...I don't know,” Octavia sighed, “...I just don't know what they want from me, I put my heart into writing that piece.” Your expression turned serious upon seeing how upset Octavia looked. “They said there was no passion in it, and I made no effort into writing it.”

“Excuse me?” You scoffed, “Tavi...you've done nothing but put your heart into writing that music piece, I've even heard you play it...It's a wonderful piece.” You reassure her, remembering how happy she looked playing it, “They wouldn't know passion if it hit them all in the backside!” Octavia blushed slightly at your comment, a faint pink tinge appeared on her plush grey fur.

“Then...can you tell me what passion is?” She asks hopeful, you gave it a moment of thought before answering.

“It's...like something you define as you go through life,” You explain, “There's a difference from doing something you like and doing something you fell in love with. Passion takes on different forms and it's never the same for everyone, it could be a feeling, or action you put your whole heart into.” Octavia listened intently, her blush becoming brighter as you spoke. “Passion is what lets us write the most beautiful songs, paint the most breath taking pictures anyone as ever seen, or write epics beyond all imagination. Passion for some could be a gentle flicker of warmth or a raging inferno for others.”You shake your head, “If people can't see that then they are all as good as blind.”

“I know...but they said they would get someone better.” She stated still little upset.

“So what?” You reply, earning you a gasp from Octavia, “There's always someone that's going to be better, but that only means two things.” Octavia raised a delicate brow, “One is that by logic if someone is better than you then all that means is you can surpass them.”

“And the other?” She asks a small smile reappearing on her face.

“Tavi...I've seen you play at your absolute best, you can bring an entire concert hall to life.” You explain knowing full well how talented she is, “I have never...and I mean never heard or seen anything so beautiful in my entire life, and believe me I know beauty when I see and hear it.” Octavia was left speechless at your compliment.

“T-thank you...” Octavia smiled, tears of happiness stained her cheeks, “...just thank you!” You smile back, happy that you cheered her up. “Do you think I can do it, I mean show them what real passion is?” She asked.

“Yes, I know you can Tavi.” You encourage her, “Show them what your passion can do, and don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise.” You take a sip of your drink, content that you made her happy.

“Can...you tell me more?” She asked, you let out a warm laugh.

“I've seen passion make grown men cry, make children do things they never thought they were capable of, and make people pull off the impossible.” You explain to her, “No matter how badly the odds are stacked against you, passion has a little habit of beating logic and reason.”

“Really?” Octavia asked in amazement, you just nod in response to her.

“Passion isn't just about what we put our very heart and soul into, but I believe it's what drives us to be who we are.” You continue explaining as Octavia just listens intently. ”No matter what you do, if you don't have any passion you'll suffer for it. It's just something I really can't put into anymore words.” You shake your head, “I can see it in your eyes Tavi, that fire is there and it's burning brightly.”

The next time you met with Octavia, she's practically bouncing with joy holding two tickets in her hand. You smile warmly at seeing her like this, she just couldn't contain her joy.

“I did it!” She cried as she ran up to you, “I really did it! They loved it!” She kissed you with that same passion. “Thank you! I took your advice and they loved it!” You let out a hearty laugh, you just enjoyed seeing her this happy and you would damn well make sure she stayed this happy.

“Your welcome Tavi, I'm more than happy to help.”

Comments ( 8 )

Quick question, isn't it Definition?

This was simple, and executed simply. But as everyone that have read this knows, there is a valuable lesson that isn't afraid to show itself from the very title of the story. You sir/madam deserve a good hugging and snuggling non-sexually of course.

I might make a poem about this amazing story. I'll start doing it right now.

This story so simple;
Elegant yet divine.
Its fruit so ample,
Its lesson; sublime.

I pay my respects,
Octavia's piece.
Some of your aspects,
More than anyone sees.

Either me, you or them,
The identity un-significant.
For this story's lesson,
Perceives what you meant.

I bid thee adieu,
Stories I must read.
One of these few,
Had done their deed.

A heartwarming story... I cannot describe it with mere words 5.5/5 stars!

3217620 Woah, that's fuckin' deep man

3301762

Really? I just typed what feelings came to me when reading this and after reading it. Thanks:twilightsmile:

I see your name,
Masterbrony it says.
Your fire-red mane,
Clearly not a mess.

Little poem I made, due to your... slightly verbal compliment:rainbowkiss:

You should make more parts from this story :twilightsmile:

3562451
I am debating that actually, TBH I only wrote this because of something on my mind at the time. So who knows what the future may bring.:twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment