• Published 9th Sep 2013
  • 3,188 Views, 69 Comments

Back to Equestria brothers. - ThatRarityIsaSpy



After killing Kyras, the blood ravens must rebuild their chapter. Guess which planet was decided to be used as training grounds?

  • ...
4
 69
 3,188

Decision

"378. Not even half of what the ranks should be." Tarkus said reading over the headcount.

"Our chapter will die if we are not prepared for the battles to come. Hunting for the black legion will be even more difficult with our low numbers. Training grounds must be set. Our first step was planning a fortress monastery on Meridian. Now we must find suitable training grounds." Angelos said

"Why not also on Meridian?" Diomedes asked.

"A hive world? That's not a good idea." Martellus said. "We must find a place more suitable. Calderis is a candidate."

"There is better." Cyrus said thinking for a moment.

"First off, is it in the sub-sector?" Angelos asked.

"Sort of."

"Good enough. Tarkus I am giving you command of the first company or whatever is left of it." Angelos said. "Cyrus, take command of whatever is left of the tenth and continue training scouts. Martellus, consider yourself the new master of the forge. Many of the captains whom had resisted corruption were killed by Kyras. Any word from Armus or Thaddeus?"

"None. We cannot try and find them without even a proper chapter." Diomedes said. "I fear we may need to be at full strength to mount any dangerous expeditions."

"Very well." Angelos said stopping to think. Shaking his head sadly thinking of the two great warriors Kyras had sent away because they refused to help him.

"Cyrus, where is it that you plan on going for our new training grounds?" Angelos asked interested.

"Equestria."






"And...... Angelos changes his mind about Merdian. Too much trouble from what I heard." Tarkus said packing his things.

“Why haven’t I heard of it if the planet is so close then?” Diomedes asked as they got together their gear. The Litany of Fury was now in orbit of Equestria.

“Because it was a secret for a long time. About 14 years to be exact.” Cyrus said. “It was Thule and Angelos’ secret as well as many of our battle brothers.”

“So is this planet.... harsh?”

“ Some places are great for hive cities while others are nests for things like dragons.” Martellus said. "But to answer your question, some places are, some places aren't."

“Aye, let’s not forget the wildlife.” Tarkus added. “Everything, yes, everything there had once existed on holy Terra. Whether in texts and legends or had actually physically existed. The natives range from dragons to multi-colored horses that are rather small in comparison to their Terran cousins.”

“The natives are however primitive.” Cyrus added. “They come in the form of pastel colored equines.”

“So... they’re xenos. Why weren’t they killed?” Diomedes asked.

“Had it not been for them, we may be still stuck on that planet.” Tarkus said. "Most thanks we could of given them was not have them killed."

“Most of the natives are rather naive. Some are too friendly for their own good and will welcome you with open arms no matter who you are.” Cyrus continued remembering things for a moment. “Others will cower before you if you as much as look down on them.”

“And let’s not forget the one who was afraid of her own shadow. Fluttershy, she called herself.” Tarkus said remembering his past experiences.

“Due to their nature.” Martellus began. “It is highly likely they will not mind it if we use their planet for training grounds. Not that they have the power to refuse us.....”

“So you’ve been making friends with xenos?” Diomedes asked. “You’re on thin ice brothers.”

“Do not for once doubt our loyalty like you had before.” Cyrus spat out venomously.

“I never.....”

“Just be quiet both of you.” Tarkus said breaking up a potential fight. “Listen, the plan is that we may stay for as much as one year if necessary. We will locate every single potential use the planet has. Something we honestly should of done previously.”

“And remember, because of the closure of the rift, time has probably fluctuated for both of us. When we arrive, it could've been a hundred seconds to a hundred years for them. Proceed with caution as if you don’t know anyone. The drop pod is headed for the most densely populated area closest to where we last landed.” Martellus finished talking and got his gear and went into the pod.





Down in Equestria, it was snowing. Of course, it was that time of the year again, where bells tolled and carols were sung. It was none other than hearth’s warming eve. This time the six friends had gathered in Canterlot, with spike happily rambling about how he got to narrate again this year.

“Twice in a row now!” Spike said happily. “I get to narrate again!”

“Too bad we don’t get to act again.” Twilight added. “Oh well, at least I get to watch now!”

“Aw...... I was totally ready to nail it again!” Rainbow Dash whined. “I really wanted to play again!”

“Me too! But now I get to sit and watch!” Pinkie said bouncing up and down.

“Or maybe bounce up and down and watch.” Applejack muttered.

“So.... how ‘bout another game of I spy while we’re at it?” Twilight suggested. “I spy...... a giant candy cane!”

“I spy Sweetie Belle!” Rarity said nudging her younger sister.

“I spy some holiday cookies!”

“And I spy...... some fillies who got their tongues stuck to the candy canes!”

“AND I SPY A GIANT THING FOR SPACE!” Pinkie said suddenly.

Everyone looked around and burst out laughing thinking it to be one of the pink mare’s jokes.

“No seriously! My Pinkie sense says watch out for falling objects!” Pinkie Pie said which caused Spike to wisely run indoors.


And right on cue, a giant red drop pod fell from the sky and went crashing into the street sending debris and screaming ponies everywhere. The craft had made a massive crater in the street.


“Sweet Celestia!” Some pony said. “That nearly crushed some pony!”

"Aliens!"

"Wait, what if....."

The hubbub continued. With the mane six looking at each other, wondering..... just wondering... if a few old friends decided to come back.
“Let’s check it out girls!” Twilight said peering over the crater. The sound of metal hitting on stone was heard all over canterlot. Then voices.




“And we’re in a crater.” Tarkus said rolling his eyes. “Alright, let’s get out of this hole and see where we’re at.”

“Sensors indicate many life forms around us. I think we are in the right place.” Martellus said. “About six.”

“I’d expect there to be more if this was supposed to be an urban area.” Diomedes said hoisting himself out of the hole and giving his brothers a hand. Turning around, he saw six colorful equines and a small lizard like creature staring at him mouths open in surprise. Around him, snow plastered the ground and the buildings. All over the street was it full of colorful horse-like creatures who seemed to have nothing better to do that stare at him curiously.

His hand started straying for his bolter, but then he remembered about what his brothers had said. Deciding against it he continued on helping his brothers out of the crater.


“Well, here we are.” Tarkus said. “With many horse aliens staring at us.”

“HEY I KNOW HIM! THAT’S TARKUS!” A Pink colored alien said as she jumped at the space marines prompting Diomedes to reach for his knife.

“Easy, Diomedes.” Tarkus voxed. “Save that for those who actually deserve it.”

“HEY I KNOW YOU! AND YOU! AND YOU! But.... wait... I DON’T KNOW YOU. LET’S BE BEST FRIENDS!” Pinkie said going on and rambling about subjects from balloons to friendship.

“Away from me alien!” Diomedes said drawing his knife out.

“Whoa there big guy! Easy with that!” Rainbow Dash said stepping in front of Pinkie Pie.

“Why ya don’t go pick on someone your own size?” Applejack asked at the indignant Diomedes.

“You calling me a coward xenos?!”

“What? No. Not at all.... ah was just....”

“Curb your tongue Diomedes.” Tarkus said. "Now then, can we just get going and do our duty?"

“Visibility will be low. My calculations is that the snow will continue to fall even harder after this.” Martellus said. “There are not many ways off this mountain. That's not good......”

“What is it?” Cyrus asked

“Temperature will drop at about -37 degrees Celsius in about 3 hours. We must find shelter.”

“Well we were just headed to Canterlot castle for the annual Hearth’s warming eve.” Twilight said. “You should come! Warm fire, lot’s of food, typically due to the fact this is the coldest night in the year, we don’t leave till next morning.

“Seems we have no other option.” Diomedes grumbled. “Let’s go. Seems finding a proper training ground will have to wait." To his surprise, his brothers had no problem with this, and some even seemed to share friendships with some of the xenos that they followed. In the back of his mind, he couldn't fathom how his brothers could even as much as tolerate these aliens. Then again, Angelos must of had something to do with it.







To see the play, there was of course security every pony had to pass through. Rules were simple, no pets, no cameras, no potential hazards etc. Like most guards assigned to a duty like this, the one at the post paid no mind to what he was dealing with until Cyrus arrived with his other brothers.

“Stop!”

“What do you want?” Cyrus asked in a voice cold enough to freeze water. This shook the guard up a bit as he was not used to resistance or as a matter of fact, giant aliens who looked strong enough to rip a pony's spine out.

“Sir..... what.. um is that device on your back?”

“Mark IX sniper rifle.” Cyrus said.

“What does it do?”

“Kills ponies that are bothering me with endless questions and should rather be minding their own business.” Cyrus said walking by the guard who looked too visibly shaken to make any efforts to stop him. Wisely, the other guards decided not to stop the other marines that walked by.

“Man you really showed him up!” Rainbow Dash said doing a backflip near Cyrus. “First time I’ve seen those type of guards get scared!”

Cyrus decided not to say anything about the everfree forest, hoping not to bring back any bad memories instead he walked into a large room with many ponies.

“Shortest in the front! Tallest in the back!” Some mare yelled out.

“Well, that means us in the furthest back.” Tarkus said as he watched the curtain. His implants allowed him to see perfectly.

“I still can’t believe we’re at some stupid xenos celebration.” Diomedes muttered. “We should just massacre this entire room.”

“If they are as cooperative as last time, then they live.” Tarkus said. “I have no intention of spilling unnecessary blood. First time in 10,000 years has a group of aliens received mankind with open arms.”

“Let’s keep it that way.” Cyrus said. “Angelos has no problem with working with the eldar. I don’t think they will be of any problem either.”

The space marines continued to discuss as the play started. Occasionally breaking conversation to watch what unfolded, sometimes commenting on the events like "Worst tribe of warriors ever" to "Knowledge is power."





“So the horned ones are psykers, the winged ones can fly... (no big surprise there) and the regular ones have a connection to the earth?” Diomedes asked.

“Yes. Think the regular ones to be similar to those trained in the ways of the omnisiah.” Martellus commented.

“Save for about a few dozen differences as it’s the earth they interact with, not any machine spirits.”

“Whatever.”

“Oh look, the purple one is coming over.”


During the play, Twilight had sometimes looked back to see the space marines have a silent conversation with one another. Being the intelligent pony she was, it didn’t take long for her to figure out they had means of communicating with another without anyone actually hearing them. Being in the far back away from any pony, their normal voices which could've easily audible to even the actors were silent. She wondered if it was the play, or whatever reason they were here. Most likely the latter.


“So... how’d you like the play?”

“The pegasus seem all bark and no bite.” Diomedes said. “A true tribe of warriors should take.”

“That’d be true.... if there was anything there was TO take.” Tarkus said.

“I do have respect for Clover.” Martellus said. “Knowledge is power, guard it well.”

“Their leaders are even worse than a certain captain that died a few decades ago.” Cyrus said. “By the throne, even Boreale couldn’t of made things worse.”

“That sounds like another good story! But did you like the play though?”

“It was... adequate. First time I’ve actually seen a play.”

“Never seen any reenactments in my life either until now.”

“Same goes for me.”

“Me too.”

Twilight’s eyes widened a bit.

“Never?”

“Nope. Thankfully we normally don’t have this much time on our hands.” Diomedes said.

“It’s peace that makes us glad for war!” Tarkus agreed. “But... here we are off to look for training grounds for our chapter.”

“So... you want to turn Equestria into a boot camp?” Rainbow Dash asked butting in. “Don’t you have your own planet?”

“It’s not very good for training recruits though.” Martellus said. “That’s when Cyrus suggested here.”

Rainbow Dash was about to ask another question.... when suddenly the wind howled once again, the snow had piled up again the windows obstructing the night.

“According to my calculations, the blizzard will last until dawn.” Martellus said.

“The snow outside is probably waist deep.” Cyrus said. “No wonder the ponies choose not to leave until tomorrow.”

“And it looks like one of them is going to make an announcement. It’s that Princess again.” Tarkus said.


Princess Celestia got the microphone adjusted and proceeded to make her announcement. The blizzard was literally about as tall as a regular pony. Everyone here had to stay until further notice. Luckily, food and drink was not in short supply. The great hall of the castle would provide for all as a feast had been laid out. There was enough food stored to probably last an entire lifetime.


“I think it’s time we ate something other than that tasteless paste they feed us.” Diomedes said. His brothers all nodded in agreement.

“Just don’t expect any meat. Food on this planet comes in the form of vegetables, fruit and baked goods. Unless of course, you plan on eating on the natives.” Tarkus said the last part intending to be a joke. To which Diomedes rolled his eyes.

"I am going to be honest, I am still pretty uncomfortable over doing this." Diomedes said noting all the stares his brothers and him were still getting. "We're in a nest of xenos here!"

"Well, we all know how Gabriel feels when working with the Eldar." Tarkus said. "At least I trust these creatures to be more honest in dealing with us then the Eldar."

"I hope so...." Diomedes said smiling on the inside as he saw all the food piled on several tables. At least no more nutrient paste until otherwise.





“So how long has it been?” Tarkus asked Twilight as she got herself a cup of cider.

“What do you mean? Does your time run differently?”

“In a sense. Time fluctuates every time we close the portal. It’s been 14 years.”

“Only 5 months for us.” Twilight said. “Here try some of us.” She said as she used her magic to give the space marine an entire plate of food. “How much do you need to eat again?”

“Between 16,000 to 32,000 calories everyday.” Tarkus said. “This normally comes in the form of flavorless slime that is almost offensive to the tastebuds. Good thing you have real food here. In a pinch however, my brothers and I may end up resorting to eating rocks” He opened his mouth and slowly had some bread, enjoying the fine taste. As observant as always, he noticed the glaces he received from the ponies, especially those who heard his joke about eating them. It was glad that it was just a joke and nothing to be taken for literal.

“Eating rocks? Spike does that.... sorta. He just eats gems.”

“Cost a lot to feed him?”

“Not at all!” Twilight said. “Gems are rather easy to find if you know how to find them. He eats regular food too!” She watched as Tarkus ate an entire wedge of cheese with one bite and proceeded eat another slice of bread in one bite. She watched her friends as they came over.

“Humans sure eat a lot.” Fluttershy said pointing at Diomedes who was eating a corn.... and the cob.

“Silly Tarkus.... you don’t eat that part!” Pinkie Pie said watching Tarkus eat the apple core as well.

“It’s edible.” He replied. “And tastes better than what I have to put up with. I’ll eat it as long as it fits both of those requirements.” He was greeted by Cyrus who was eating....... eggs?

“High in protein.” Cyrus said. “Some of the cooks gave them to me after I told them our diet needs lots of it.” He handed his brother some of the eggs. “Tastes better when it’s raw though.”

Tarkus nodded and awkwardly, with two fingers began to crack the egg and suck out it’s juices enjoying the salty taste.

“Tastes good.” Tarkus said. “Where’s Martellus?”

“Measuring all the nutritional values of everything here.” Cyrus said rolling his eyes. “He’s probably going to be at it for ages. He wants me to sketch some for him afterwards.... as well as the flora and fauna of everything that lives here.....”

“I have lots of those!” Twilight said. “At my tree library!”

“Well, you can save me lots of trouble if you can get me them.” Cyrus said. “But that’s for another time when this blasted storm stops.”

“HOWS THE FOOD HUMANS?!” Pinkie Pie asked bouncing in their faces. “DID YOU LIKE IT?!”

“I like it.” Tarkus said. “The taste is well.... maybe the best thing I’ve ever had. Reminds me of all the foods on ancient Terra.”


While he and Twilight had a conversation, Diomedes stood by a large window and looked outside. The bitter cold of the winter reminded him of Aurelia. He heard a servant of some fashion came over to offer him food. Deciding to lighten up a bit, he graciously accepted. To be honest, part of him was uncomfortable, another part wanted to start killing while yet another part of him told him to be calm and handle the situation reasonably like how his brothers somehow managed

One thing in the distance caught his eye. At first he thought it was one of the ponies.... but that’s not right? How can they stand out there for so long in the bitter cold? And did it just change into an insect like thing?

Rubbing his eyes, he saw that it was gone. Must of been seeing things. Maybe he should get some sleep as he just realized he had been awake for about five days straight, and that was having impacts on him.

Sleeping in a nest full of xenos. Huh, that’s another first. He wondered how his brothers felt on the subject. Then again, judging from the way they were greeted, they probably wouldn't mind doing it too much. He was comforted by the fact that these ponies, as they called themselves didn't seem to be the type that would try and harm any other living things. Not like it looked like they could even if they tried.

Author's Note:

The time frame if anyone is wondering is right after S3E2 and after Kyras is dead.

A few things I intend not to have around like last time.
Grammatical mistakes.
Out of character.
Lore error.