• Published 9th Sep 2013
  • 3,189 Views, 69 Comments

Back to Equestria brothers. - ThatRarityIsaSpy



After killing Kyras, the blood ravens must rebuild their chapter. Guess which planet was decided to be used as training grounds?

  • ...
4
 69
 3,189

Finally, something to kill

“My Celestia!” Redheart said out loud as she felt the area around the burn. Even from where her hoof was it was still hot as hell. “Humans must really be made of strong stuff. The average pony would've melted at this!”

“It’s already healed.” Cyrus said watching the nurse inspect him all around for injuries.

“How do you know?” A pompous looking doctor asked. “You may be a soldier, but have you actually treated injuries?”

“Well, been alive for about 600 years, have seen more injuries and deaths than days you’ve lived and been shot and injured multiple times. I can assure you I have already healed in the time it took for me to leave that hole. Like my brothers but unlike you or regular humans. I posses an organ that rapidly heals my injuries. Now then one thing I noticed. You have if I am not mistaken, 1 heart, 2 lungs. 2 livers....”

Redheart listened as Cyrus went down a long list of organs. After he finished with his long list of human and pony organs. The nurse tenderly nodded.

“Same as those of my race then.” Cyrus said. “But one thing I need to tell you I am diffrent like those I fight with. I have 2 hearts, 3 lungs and several other organs that you don’t have. One of them heals me quickly. I had to go through having all those installed into my body of course."

Interesting. Redheart thought. Almost like out of a superhero story.

“Wow.....” The doctor said. “600 years...... 2 hearts, 3 lungs.... I gotta go back to studying.” He quickly left. Cyrus then took the liberty to leave watching the massive mob around him. He had saved them from a fate that only changelings could think about and for that they were grateful.

“Cyrus! I just heard you went into a hole to save some locals.” Tarkus voxed. “And I also heard you got burned. Is this true?”
“Tarkus, I am fine. Honestly, you’re starting to sound like that woman I saved from a fire way back. She wouldn’t stop about how many times I got hit by debris.”

“Playing the nobleman now?” Tarkus chuckled. “Never thought you had that in you. Deathwatch yesterday, savior of xenos today.”

Cyrus only grunted in reply.


Elsewhere, Martellus had taken another trip to the everfree forest. He made a note to all the flora and fauna he hadn’t had a chance to jot down. However one thing in particular interested him. It was black and white. It looked like one of the natives, but his records suggested otherwise. Slowly, he stalked the odd looking pony through the forest.


After a while the black and white pony stopped. It looked somewhat different from the other members of it’s race.

“Is there some pony there? What does he have to share?”

“You are smarter than you look.” Martellus droned. “My name is Martellus.”

“You have a rather odd feature, are you sure you are a native creature?” Zecora once again rhymed. This Martellus paid attention to, wondering if this was a habit of her’s.

“No. I come from another planet.” Martellus repeated. “My species are referred to as mankind or humans. I myself, along with those who traveled with me are referred to as the adeptus astartes”

“What is your task and what can I do to help,my friend? To have this task of yours put to an end.”

“I am merely looking at all the plant and animal life. It all used to exist back where my kind come from. However, my mission is to find suitable grounds for training recruits.”

“You are training for war? What for?”

“My kind have always been at war. It’s been unavoidable for the past 10,000 years.” Martellus took the moment to think of all the memories and stories he had heard and experienced. “Mostly foreign creatures along with plenty of traitors.”

“I am used to all sorts of creatures too. All kinds in the everfree are new.”

“Question: Why do you rhyme in every sentence?”

“I really don’t know. It’s not something I can control.”

Martellus shook his head and chuckled. Seems she really couldn’t help it after all. The alien prompted to break into conversation with him with her constant rhyming.



“And those things.... they are after the book.” Cyrus said to Tarkus as they stood in Twilight’s library. “Did Diomedes get the job done?”

“No.” Tarkus said flatly. “We tried things from ripping it to burning it. Whatever foul sorcery surrounds this damned text, I care not to know. I am just interested in finding the deepest hole on this planet, and dropping it there.”

“Good idea. Maybe lock it up somewhere. I don’t trust anyone with this thing....” Cyrus replied.
“Care for some tea?” Twilight asked with a tea kettle as she poured herself some.

“Sure.”

“Fine by me.”

The space marines held the awkwardly small cups and sipped the brown liquid. It felt refreshing and helped calm their nerves.

“What do we do next?” Tarkus asked.

“Well.... my plan is to go and find this changeling queen.”

“Huh?”

“Oh yeah, right.” Cyrus remembered not explaining to Tarkus what had happened. Taking his time, he explained to Tarkus how he was prompted by some random child to go and save her friend. In doing so, he had rescued quite a few xenos from a demise from Tyranid-like creatures.

“Memories must be lovely.” Tarkus said remembering Cyrus’ story a decade ago.

“What’s a Tyranid? Sounds fascinating!” Twilight said. “Spike! Get a scroll!”

“On it!”

“It’s an alien monster.” Cyrus said. “I mean monster. They are among the most fearsome creatures that ever set foot on the galaxy. They seek nothing more than to devour and reproduce. They strip entire worlds clean of life, leaving only a barren ball of rock.”

“Heh. Changelings feed off of love by turning into some pony you care for. Not life. But do they leave slime or whatever it is behind?”

“Yeah. They mutate anything that is even the tiniest bit organic for it to be later consumed. Wait.... feed off of love.....?”

“Yeah. They do it to gain power and....”

“Just to gain power?”

“Yep.”

“Sounds like a little girl’s idea of Tyranids.” Tarkus said humorously. Cyrus shrugged in agreement.

“But they’re dangerous! They grow stronger from the....”

“Dangerous? Really? If they are “dangerous” then... oh that’s right.” Cyrus remembered the promotion of peace in Equestria. “Frankly, I missed fighting something for a while.”

“You thinking what I think you’re thinking?” Tarkus asked.

“Indeed. We’re going on a crusade. Just the four of us. We afterall, need to find out why these so-called changelings wish to get this damned thing.” Tarkus said holding the book of Lorgar. “Get our brothers here. You know the way to where these things reside?”

“Yes.... but it’s very....”

“Stay by us and I can say.... you PROBABLY won’t die.”

“That’s REALLY comforting.”

“Just you by the way.” Cyrus said. “I’d rather not have beings with more ego than Diomedes or more energy than harlequins.”

Twilight gulped. She really wasn’t in a position to refuse them. Even if she did, she probably would wake up in the night and find herself dragged along.

“I’ll get packing.” Twilight said wondering which was worse. Getting killed by changelings or ponynapped by things who kill on a daily basis.

Little did she know, the cutie mark crusaders had been at the door. They wanted to check out a book, but perhaps an adventure would more..... interesting.

Cutie mark crusader, crusaders!


“And I have to go now.” Martellus said. “It was great speaking with you.....”

“Zecora.”

“First time you didn’t rhyme in a sentence.” The techmarine said. This was meant to be a joke, but frankly, it’s rather hard joking when you speak in a monotone and have your face hidden.

“As I said, it’s out of my control. Now I suppose it’s time that you go.”

“Yes. Battle calls and I must answer. I have missed the thrill of combat for some time now.” Martellus replied walking away.

Zecora wondered how humans managed to build the great empire Martellus had described being so war hungry. Then again, maybe being war hungry was HOW they got their empire. Either way, it’s not a pleasant way to be, constantly at war. But from the looks of things, in their grim vision of their future, there would only be war.


“Greetings brothers.” Martellus said as he entered the library. “I see the book of lorgar has escaped it’s destruction still.”

“It won’t for long.” Diomedes said. “But right now, we got better things to do. Fighting.”

I still don’t see why destroying books or killing things is something they like doing. Twilight thought. But as usual, speaking up would probably end with her neck getting broken.

“We’re hunting for changelings. Or those things we caught in that place called canterlot.” Cyrus said. “It seems they enjoy conflict. And apparently feed off of love to get power.”

Twilight could've sworn she heard snickering. But from the looks of the faces of the space marines, they definitely weren’t laughing. Huh, making them smile was a challenge. Even for Pinkie Pie.

“These things are of the most unclean. They feed off of others.” Cyrus replied. “Ring a bell?”

“Tyranids.” Everyone said at the same time.

“Essentially a less harmful version of a Tyranid. Shouldn’t be much of trouble. Hope they at least put up a fight.” Tarkus said. “We depart at 0500. Twilight here has agreed to help us in locating the foul beasts.”

More like I got press ganged. Twilight thought. Oh well, best get some sleep.

“Understood.” Diomedes said. In his mind, he was still wondering why they accept help from horse aliens and why they weren’t killed yet. But orders were orders and he had to follow them. Especially if they were from the chapter master himself. He could've sworn however he heard a little voice whisper the words. “5:00 a clock!”
Not paying much mind to it. He carried on with his business. The rest of his brothers did the same. They needed something to fight. Afterall, it was something they were literally made to do.