• Published 3rd Sep 2013
  • 5,384 Views, 310 Comments

Luna's Apprentice - ScientistTrixie



Princess Luna and Trixie Lulamoon have both made mistakes in the past, mistakes that have made them outcast in Equestria. Now that Luna has taken Trixie as her student, they will work together to show Equestria their true potential!

  • ...
21
 310
 5,384

First Lesson

Trixie sighed as the warm water licked at her coat, steam curling off the bath water. She sunk lower until only the tips of her ears poked above the surface, her cheeks puffed out as she held her breath. The mare closed her eyes as the hot bath soothed her aching muscles, only opening them once she felt the need for air. She broke the surface, gasping for air as she ran a hoof through her mane.

She pulled her mane in front of her, smiling at it’s pale blue coloring. A grimace appeared on her face as she examined her hooves, rubbing the wrinkly skin together as she reluctantly tugged the stopper out of the drain. Trixie pushed herself out of the bath, humming quietly as she stepped onto a large fluffy towel she had set upon the floor before bathing.

A violet glow surrounded a towel as it floated to her side, rubbing across her until her coat was nice and dry. The mare stepped forward, turning to admire her now clean coat in the wall length mirror. She discarded the wet towel, snatching another one from a rack on the wall as she poked at her exposed ribcage.

”Just take those old records off the shelf…” Trixie sang, wrapping a towel around her mane and tucking it in on itself with a flare of her magic. She snatched her hair brush off the countertop, flipping it around to use as her microphone.

”I’ll sit and listen to ‘em by myself. Today’s music ain’t got the same soul,”

“I like that old time rock n’ roll.”” Trixie trotted toward her bedroom with a noticeable sway to her hips. She turned, nudging the bathroom door open with her flank as she backed into her room. She lowered her head, her flank swaying from side to side as she whipped her tail from side to side.

“Don’t try to take me to a disco. You’ll never even get me out on the floor, ten minutes and I’ll be late for the door.”

She danced in place, her hooves clacking over the bare stone below her. She gazed around her empty bedroom, smiling at the large bed against the wall, decorated in a cerulean comforter that perfectly matched her coat. She mentally reminded herself to ask Princess Luna about her allowance. She really needed some furniture.

“I like that old time rock n’ roll. Still like that old time rock n’ roll.” She stomped her hooves, rearing onto her back legs as she pulled the microphone close.

“That kind of music just soothes the soul. I reminisce about the days of old,
With that ol’ time rock n’ roll. Won’t go to hear them play a tango. I’d rather hear some blues or funky ol’ soul…”

She lowered herself to her hooves, flicking her mane over her shoulder as she pulled the hairbrush close. She spun, planting her hooves onto the stone as she sucked in a deep breath when her eyes finally landed on Princess Luna standing in her doorway. Trixie blushed, her cheeks turning crimson as she dropped the hairbrush.

“You startled me...” Trixie murmured, shooting an embarrassed glance at her teacher.

Luna cocked her head, smiling even wider at the mare. “I’m sorry Trixie, it’s just that, that song was old when I was a filly.” She teased, chuckling as Trixie busied herself with the towel around her mane.

Trixie coughed, the red in her cheeks finally fading as she unwrapped the towel drying her mane. A quick burst of magic later, and the towel sat in a pile with the other towels she had already used. She trotted to her bed, lifting her newly repaired hat and cape off her mattress. Her horn flared violet as she pulled the hat close, examining the stitching with a critical eye.

After a moment of silence, Luna cleared her throat, drawing Trixie’s attention away from her hat. “I was hoping that we could go ahead and get started on your first lesson.”

“That is fine with Trixie.” The mare said dismissively, snapping the clasp of her cape together. She set her hat on her head, tugging at the edge of the fabric carefully. Her hooves clacked over the stone floor as she crossed the room, waiting for Princess Luna to step out of her doorway.

“Well then. Follow me?” Luna said, stepping further into the hallway as she made room for Trixie to exit her bedroom. Trixie turned to head down the staircase leading from the tower her bedroom sat in, but to her surprise, Luna headed further up the tower. Trixie trotted slowly behind Luna as they set off down the hallway, glancing at her new mentor out of the corner of her eye. Luna ignored Trixie’s staring for a moment, before sighing lightly.

“Go ahead Trixie.” Luna said, turning to the unicorn with a bemused, if not slightly forced smile.

Trixie paused for a moment, startled at Luna’s suggestion. She smiled sheepishly as she collected her thoughts.

“What is it like being back?”

Luna chuckled, growing silent for a moment as they came to a set of stairs. They were halfway up the stairs before Luna spoke.

“As a princess, my night court is still avoided by ponies. I do not know if it’s by choice, or circumstance. Ponies no longer fear my night as they used to, although there is still just as much to be afraid of in its depths. Some ponies even go so far as sleeping during the day, and working through the night. The ponies of Canterlot gather in droves to watch meteor shows and all manner of nighttime events now. It is an interesting change of pace from… before.” Luna explained, a genuine smile on her muzzle.

“However, I am happiest when I get to spend time with Celestia, or the rare times when I am allowed to visit Twilight Sparkle.” Luna elaborated, glancing at Trixie as she mentioned Twilight. To Luna surprise, Trixie allowed a small smile to appear on her face. “I do not get to spend as much time with them as I wish though. We are simply too busy with our day to day duties.”

“Trixie is sorry to hear that.”

The two ponies grew silent, Trixie lost in her own thoughts while Luna mentally examined the lesson she had made for the unicorn. Trixie watched the stone walls pass by, her gaze drifting to the windows set into the wall. After another set of stairs, the pair came upon the doorway to Luna’s bedchambers, two familiar bat stallions guarding the door.

“Well look at you, Blue!” Quickshot said, smiling as Luna and Trixie trotted into view. “You don’t look half bad!” He winked at the mare as she shot him a flat glare.

“And you look just as bad as you did when we first met!” She said grumpily. “My name is Trixie, not Blue!”

He laughed, wagging his eyebrows at her as she fought back a wry smile. Luna smiled at the pair’s antics, nodding in thanks to Quickshot as he pushed her bedroom door open with his rear leg.

“Come along Trixie.” Luna said, stepping past her guards into her bedroom. Trixie stepped into Luna’s bedroom, waving at Silver Wing as she passed him.

Trixie gazed around Luna’s bedroom as her mentor shut the doors behind her. It was a fairly large room, laid out in a simple half circle. Across the room from the door they had just entered, a large floor to length window exposed a breathtaking view of Canterlots skyline. She tore her eyes away from the window, resting them on everything in the room for a moment before moving on.

Luna sat, huffing as she stretched her wings waiting for Trixie to focus on her. The unicorn turned, making sure to keep the ends of her cape afloat with her magic as she sat across from Luna.

“You have one task for your first lesson. This,” she explained, opening her wings to indicate the room they stood in. “Is my bedroom. I want you to tell me three facts about my life that you can learn in the time it takes me to lift the moon. If you can do so, it will show me that you are able to think logically, allowing me to teach you much easier…” Luna trailed off as Trixie set her jaw, looking around the room with a disappointed air. “Are you okay Trixie?”

“You promised I would learn powerful magic!” Trixie exclaimed, gritting her teeth angrily. She stood, facing away from Luna with her tail twitching agitatedly. “Not teach you about your own life!”

“I promise you Trixie; if you can prove yourself proficient at this, you will be able to learn any spell you set your mind on.” Luna explained, stepping toward her balcony, speaking over her shoulder to the mare. “Your time starts,” Luna said, her horn aglow with dark shadowy blue magic. “Now.”

Trixie glared after Luna, muttering under her breath as the alicorn stepped out onto the massive balcony outside. She lifted her horn to the sky, the length of which was twisting and spiraling with a dark aura as she eased the moon into the sky.

She sighed loudly, turning her observation to the inside of the room. On the same wall they had entered sat two more arches, a library study visible through one, with a large bath visible through the other. With a bored sigh, she continued examining the bedroom as she had been instructed.

A large bed sat against the wall, furnished with royal purple covers, silver accents splayed across the fabric in seemingly random patterns. A long table sat to one side of the bed, books piled high upon the dark mahogany furnishing. Several of the books laid open, while others had small bookmarks nestled between their pages. She walked over to the table, grabbing several of the books in her telekinesis.

She flipped the books open, scanning the pages that were bookmarked before snapping them closed. She dropped them back onto the table before continuing her investigation.

To the other side of the bed sat various objects of entertainment. An artist easel sat beside the wall, a large mirror hanging on the wall next to it. A nearly finished self-portrait sat upon the easel, brilliant blues shifting into deep purples upon the canvas. Behind the easel, she could just make out canvases resting against the wall. She stepped around the easel, a violet glow lighting her corner of the room as she shifted through the stack, examining each painting.

The first painting was of Canterlot, as seen from Luna’s bedroom, but much like the self portrait had been abandoned. The second was of Celestia, and the last of a beautiful full moon, each unfinished in some way. The painting of Celestia had been abandoned as a basic sketch, while the moon had been very near completion. She started to set the canvases back in a pile when she spotted one hidden behind the headboard of the bed.

She glanced toward the balcony, eyeing Luna as she silently eased the canvas out of it’s hiding spot. She turned it to examine the picture and felt her mouth drop ever so slightly as she took in the scene that had been perfectly painted upon the tarpaulin. The bottom of the canvas was painted a dreary grey, with rocks and craters dotted throughout the barren terrain. The dark blackness of space filled out much of the remaining canvas, with a small globe of blues and greens sitting peacefully in the center of the canvas.

She carefully eased the canvas back into place, chancing another lingering glance toward her mentor. Her gaze lowered to what had once been a telescope by the looks of it, with several lenses laying haphazardly around the shelling. The shell actually lay in multiple pieces, screws and bolts in a neat pile beside it.

She nodded to herself as she trotted to the opposite wall, examining the all around clutter and lived in feel the room gave off. She trotted up to the large bookshelf placed against the wall, lifting herself onto her rear legs as she cast her gaze over the shelves. Dozens of books in various conditions sat on the shelf, ranging from books in pristine condition, to ones that had broken spines and peeling covers.

Trixie lowered herself to her hooves, eyes drawn to a shelf full of scrolls, each tied with a dark blue ribbon. Trixie reached out with her magic, picking a letter at random and unfurling it with a tug of her magic.

“Dear Princess Luna,

It is good to hear from you again. I don’t know if Princess Celestia told you, but we had a little incident with Spike the other day. He got presents from the girls, and for the first time, his dragon greed took over… Blah... Blah… Blah…” Trixie read, skipping to the bottom of the scroll quickly.

“I hope to see you in Ponyville again soon.

Best wishes,

Twilight Sparkle”

“Are these all from Twilight?” Trixie asked herself, casting an eye over the shelf as she rolled the letter back up, tying it securely with the ribbon and depositing it back on top of the pile. She turned with a smug smile on her face as she settled back onto her haunches as Luna stepped into the room, the moon hanging proudly behind her.

“So Trixie. Care to share your findings?” Luna asked, striding across the room to lower herself onto her haunches before the mare.

Trixie nodded, pausing for a moment as she organized her thoughts.

“Fact one. You do not like to leave your tower, except for when you must attend night court, and to raise the moon.” Luna smiled, nodding at Trixie’s theory.

“Can you explain how you came to that conclusion?”

“You have an entire shelf dedicated to letters from Twilight Sparkle. There are various distractions throughout your bedroom, ways you can keep yourself entertained without having to leave your chambers, as well as the lack of any pictures of you out with other ponies in the city.” Luna nodded, motioning for Trixie to continue.

“Fact two. You are working hard to catch up. You study books on any and everything that has happened in the last 1000 years, such as new laws and discoveries. You dissect all kinds of recent inventions, such as that new telescope, trying to understand how our new technology works.” Trixie said, finding herself smiling as Luna nodded once more.

“Fact three. You want to move on but you can’t. You start painting, or reading to get past your time… away. You start all these projects, wanting to find new hobbies to help you move past that, but you never let yourself finish them.” Trixie finished quietly. Luna stared at Trixie, her eyes unfocused as she gazed through the unicorn, lost in her own thoughts.

“You are… much better at this than I imagined you would be.” Luna said after a moment of composure, slowly focusing on Trixie once more.

“Trixie is a showmare. She has to be able to make these types of observations with much less time and information.” Trixie explained, a smug smile on her face as Luna slapped a hoof to her forehead.

“You mean I could have given you a harder test!” Luna said, glaring at Trixie.

“You didn’t ask...” Trixie replied, shrugging as she studied the lining of her cape.

Author's Note:

A/N: This chapter almost didn't get posted on time! I lost internet yesterday around 4 and was told that charter would not be able to get out to my house until next Wednesday, but we bugged them this morning and they showed up at 10 and fixed it!

The stories gonna start picking up here so leave a comment and let me know what you think!

For anyone curious, Tu m’as fait peur= You startled me!

Edited by: Phaoray