• Published 3rd Sep 2013
  • 5,370 Views, 310 Comments

Luna's Apprentice - ScientistTrixie



Princess Luna and Trixie Lulamoon have both made mistakes in the past, mistakes that have made them outcast in Equestria. Now that Luna has taken Trixie as her student, they will work together to show Equestria their true potential!

  • ...
21
 310
 5,370

Hashing it out.

Consciousness returned to the cerulean mare slowly, and it was several minutes before Trixie registered the quiet breathing from just beside her. Her eyes opened reluctantly, blinking slowly in the darkness surrounding her. She reached out hesitantly, drawing her hoof back quickly as she brushed against warm fur.

She opened her mouth, coughing feebly at the intense dryness in her throat. Warily, she reached out once again, running her hoof over the fur until her hoof ran over a smooth piece of metal, with a small chain toward the back half of it. From her guess, the chain and flat metal piece felt like some form of jewelry. She squinted in the darkness, her eyes just making out the outline of a white crescent moon upon the otherwise dark surface.

The mare slumped against the bed, her surroundings finally clicking into place. Judging from the weight to her side, she was currently lying in a very comfortable bed, with the one and only Princess of the Night beside her.

Trixie’s brow furrowed as she struggled to recall the last thing she remembered. She came up with brief flashes of speech, Twilight Sparkle, and the most delicious taste in her mouth. She licked her lips absentmindedly and dug further into her memory. She distantly remembered shopping for food with Silver Star, but now she was obviously in in Luna’s bedchambers.

“Miss Lulamoon! Are you thirsty? Or perhaps hungry?” A feminine voice called out from the darkness to her side. She jumped, rolling her body toward the unseen visitor wearily. Two yellow eyes peered back at her from the darkness, a mischievous look sparkling in them. A flame sparked to life at the tip of a small candle, revealing a dark furred bat pony standing nearby, with a broad smile on her muzzle.

For the moment, Trixie ignored the new batpony and glanced around, taking in her surroundings with the new light source. She was laying upon a familiar dark purple cover, its surface decorated in the same icy silver swirls and flourishes as the last time she saw it. Beside her, at the center of the bed, sat Princess Luna, eyes closed with a hardly noticeable silver glow behind her eyelids. She sat with her legs tucked beneath her, and wings tucked tightly against her side as she looked out over the city, staring unseeingly at the curtains blocking the city lights from the rest of the bedroom.

Trixie felt an uncertain lurch in her chest at the prospect of being in Luna’s presence once again, let alone sleeping in the bed beside her. She ripped her eyes away from Luna, instead using the new light to study the bat pony beside her.

She was a lithe mare, with a long flowing black mane. Her eyes were yellow much like the other bat-ponies she had seen, but her fur was a dark brown, nearly black in appearance, but had grey highlights up and down her coat. She wore the female version of Quickshot and Silver Wings armor, but it fit snugly against her body whereas it fit loosely on the stallions broad chests.

“How..” She coughed, swallowing painfully as her throat ached before nodding toward the mare and gesturing toward her throat. The bay pony giggled amusedly, before turning and walking away, the flickering candle bobbing away with her as she exited the bedroom. She returned but a moment later, relaxing onto her haunches beside the bed as she helped Trixie take a sip of the drink without spilling it down her coat.

“How did I get… back here?” Trixie asked slowly, voice lowered as she shot Luna’s still form several glances.

“Well, If what I heard is true, Night Mother retrieved you herself… Although, Quickshot has been in quite a state over you.” She said, smiling as she prodded Trixie in the side. Despite herself, and her sour mood, a hint of a smile found its way onto Trixie’s muzzle.

“Can you tell him Trixie is okay? Trixie will be back up and about before he can worry mu- ow.” She muttered, wincing as a wave of pain ran across her head suddenly. “What’s your name?” She asked, rubbing at the base of her horn.

“The name is Duskfall.” She said, extending her wings and baring her teeth as she struck a dramatic pose before Trixie.

“So Spooky.” Trixie rolled her eyes sarcastically at the mare. “You look very intimidating.”

“More intimidating than a bed-ridden magician.” Dusk said, poking her tongue out at the dumbstruck expression on Trixie’s face.

“Enough Trixie.”

Trixie turned, glancing at Luna’s stern expression before coldly turning her back on the princess.

“So what’s your role around the palace?” She asked, brow furrowed as she focused on Dusk.

“Ugh.. Well I usually… just… um..” Duskfall stammered, glancing past Trixie at Luna’s narrowed eyes.

“You may go Duskfall. Thank you for watching Trixie while I was busy.” Luna spoke, her voice light but with an undeniable command below it.

“Of course Night Mother. Farewell miss Trixie.” Duskfall said, bowing to the pair of them before turning and trotting out of the room. As she passed through the doorway, Trixie just caught sight of her glancing back at the room worriedly.

A loud silence filled the room as Trixie stared at the door tensely, waiting for Luna to speak.

“Trixie…” Luna finally spoke, an uncertain tone to her voice.

“Did you follow Trixie?” Trixie glared at Luna accusingly.

“Wha- No! I didn’t follo-”

“Than how did you find Trixie? The last thing Trixie remember’s she was with Silver Star!” Trixie demanded, brow furrowed as she pursed her lips.

“She came to me! You had collapsed and were hallucinating, so she-”

“You should have just stayed away!” Trixie yelled, coughing weakly as she over-exerted herself. “You stuck your horn into my dreams and invaded my privacy!”

“Be quiet!” Luna yelled, her voice raised as she glared at the unicorn. “You seek to make me into some kind of villain, like I was sneaking about!”

“You were! It was none of your business!”

Luna’s voice lost volume as she ran out of steam. “I was trying to help you… and maybe I didn’t go around it the right way, but my intentions were good. You were having Nightmares, and I wanted to shield you from them… I didn’t mean to see anything you didn’t want me to..”

“But you did! I left here to get away from you, but no… You had to follow me.”

“That is more than enough.” Luna snapped, finally growing tired of the mares attitude. “You want to say I did wrong by you, that’s fine. But you have your own head so far up your plot, you can’t even see how your ridiculous actions affected me. I had to cancel my Night court, because I was too concerned about you for some stupid reason, that I cannot even understand now.”

“I had my Night guard out the entire time you were missing scouring the city. Countless Bat-ponies out all night and day searching for you…” Her voice cracked as hot tears spilled down her cheek, despite her attempt to stifle them. “I thought you were going to die..”

An awkward silence grew between the two, until Trixie couldn’t stand the oppressive silence hanging between them. “It’s just… You brought up things.. that I really wish would have stayed in the past.” She huffed, crossing her hooves as she stared at her blanket. “It was supposed to be a dream.. A horrible one, but still only a dream. I would see it, and I alone would have to deal with it, just like normal. I would wake up the next morning, move on and everything would be fine!"

"But no, you were actually there… How did you expect I would react? Happily?” She asked, glaring dismissively at the night princess.

“I expected you to be grateful! I was trying to help you, and shield you from whatever nightmares you were facing. Instead of being grateful, you're only looking at how my actions went wrong, not my intentions behind the-” Luna pleaded, huffing as Trixie interrupted.

“Well Luna.. There’s a saying we use now a days. ‘The road to Tartarus is paved with good intentions.’” Trixie said condescendingly, ignoring the way Luna flinched at the obvious reference to her time… away.

“You are so selfish.” Luna said a moment later, her voice quiet but strangely hollow. “You look at this horrible ‘past’ and treat it as this horrible burden that you can never move past, but you fail to even contemplate the idea that others have had a much harder life than you…"

"My sister did her best to have our ponies look up to me, to be around me, but in the olden days, it was just not possible. Without the magic, safety and technology we enjoy now, it was unreasonable to expect ponies to try to make their living under my night. But, instead of listening to her, and the ponies around me, I let my own feeling cloud my judgment, and I neglected my duties.. We were always alone. We had our sister, tis true.” Luna said morosely, eyes glossing over as her mind traveled through her memories. Trixie looked up at Luna uncomfortably, doubting she realized the sudden break in her sentence or that she was slipping into old equestrian.

“But unlike us, Celestia sleeps. The ponies needed her by day, so what time could she make for us, her little sister? Surely we had our night duties, and those that came for our guidance, right? T’was not so. Ponies slept at night, Celestia slept at night… They all slept at night. All we had by our side was the moon, and the stars… We took up arms and tried to make the world love us by force.” She said, her voice wavering ever so slightly. “We attacked our own sister… Because we were jealous…”

“I know the story Luna.. we all do now.” Trixie said, rubbing uncomfortably at her forelegs.

“Of course thou would.” Luna laughed angrily. “But thou never once stopped to think of what we actually went through! To thee, it is ‘merely a story’, but it t’was our life Trixie! T’was our loneliness! A thousand years on the moon, away from the few things we had! Never getting to see our sister, and watching the few friends we possessed waste away…"

"T’was not even the worst part. What we did to Celestia… T’was unforgivable. As much as our actions hurt ourselves, they were still OUR actions!” She thundered, voice slowly raising in volume. “We deserved punishment, and accepted it readily once the Elements had freed us of our crazed state… But Celestia.. We forced our own punishment against her, in the worst possible way.” Hot tears spilled down Luna’s cheeks, darkening her already dark coat. Trixie shifted uncomfortably, eyes gazing over the Alicorn restlessly. She had never seen Luna look so… aged before. Trixie wanted to go to her, to comfort her and tell her it was in the past, but she was too enraptured to respond, to even attempt to make a sound of comfort.

“A thousand years of knowing that we had forced her hoof. Every night, We could feel her sorrow at having to lock us away.. Every night.. she lowered our moon, and was forced to look at our imprint upon it. We… We would spend the rest of our life apologizing to her… if she would only let us.” She trailed off, eyes staring off into the distance as she grew silent. She breathed deeply, and shook her head, glancing at Trixie ashamedly before speaking.

“I.. I nearly destroyed Equestria, and my sister because I was jealous, Trixie. Whatever you did, whoever you hurt, they will forgive you. You just have to work for it.” Luna said slowly, brushing tears from her eyes before continuing.

“I will help you if you’ll let me..” Luna said, voice weary.

Trixie tried to hold onto her bad mood, but each time she opened her mouth to say something back, shame filled her chest and quenched her angry words. “I’m sorry Luna. I… I really am. I didn’t mean to scare you so much… I over-reacted. I know you were trying to help.. I-I just have some stuff in my past I’d much rather leave forgotten…” Trixie said slowly, a pained expression on her face.

“Please Trixie.. you have to talk to me.”

“I… I will Luna. Just, give me a few days to rest first okay?” Trixie said, glancing at the alicorn before lowering her eyes again.

Luna sighed, words already forming to convince Trixie to talk to her, but she let them die on her tongue instead. She could tell Trixie was hurting, and for the moment, the promise of a talk was more than enough for her.

“Okay Trixie. Just know that I’m here if you ever wish to talk.” Luna said, forcing a smile as the mare met her eye finally. Her smile became more sincere as Trixie wiped a few stray tears from her eyes.

While happier, the silence slowly began to permeate the room again. Luna looked around briefly, trying to come up with a quick change in topics.

“Anyways… Oh! I had one of the palace doctors take a look at you when I first brought you back.” Luna said, lowering her head to rest upon her forelegs. “You had a horrible case of pneumonia, and unfortunately, you had used up nearly all your magic while you were sick. You’re looking at quite a recovery.” She warned, smiling weakly at the eye roll Trixie gave her.

“At least 2 weeks in bed, with absolutely no magic use.” Luna giggled as Trixie’s jaw dropped ever so slightly, her face going pale at the thought. This was going to be a rough two weeks.

“Well.. for now, I guess I’ll go back to sleep.” Trixie said, pouting with her forelegs crossed.

“Go ahead. I’ll be here, if you don’t mind?” Luna said, watching Trixie out of the corner of her eye.

Trixie rolled over, hugging the blanket tight against her chin to hide the blushing in her cheeks. “It’s your bed. Trixie can’t tell you to leave.”

Luna merely smiled in response.

“Alright guys.. I think we know why I’ve gathered us here today, right?” Dusk said, drawing two blank stares from the bat stallions sitting lazily before her. The mare had flown into the Bat-pony caves in a fuss, flat out ordering the two senior stallions to follow her without delay.

They had followed her to the top floor of Canterlot’s second tallest tower, sitting a mere dozen feet below Luna’s personal tower, to the spot the bat ponies fondly nicknamed “The Roost.” It was from this position many of the bat-ponies had sat watching Luna’s tower in her absence, wishing that there Night Mother would return to them. Since her return, a small group of guards would be stationed here nightly, in case anything was to approach from Canterlot proper.

“Ummm… cause yah told us tah follow ya?” Quickshot deadpanned, glancing at Silver Wing with a confused expression.

“We are here, to help the Night Mother snag Trixie!” Dusk exclaimed, waggling her brows suggestively.

“Blue!? Why would Luna wanna to “snag” Blue?” Quickshot exclaimed, shooting forward in surprise. He glanced at Silver, who merely shrugged in response. He missed the slight tightening of Dusk’s eyes as he looked to Silver, and by the time he had returned her gaze, she was shaking her head at him.

“Uhh… She likes her?” Dusk said, cocking a brow at the dense stallion. “Come on! It’s obvious!”

“Prove it.” Silver Wing spoke, quick and to the point as always.

“Well-uh… Okay, You know exactly how private she is. How many other ponies can you think of that have seen the inside of her bedroom?”

Quick and Silver Wing glanced at each other, before shrugging and turning back toward the irritated female before them with blank looks on their faces.

“Okay… have either of you ever been inside Luna’s bedroom, outside of your guard duties?”

She slaps a hoof against her face as both Silverwing and Quickshot raise their hooves slowly.

“How about without Trixie present?”

Silver cocks a brow at her, but smiles smugly as Quick kept his hoof raised along with him. Dusk looked away, grumbling to herself angrily. She bit on her tongue for a moment before her eyes shot to the pair beside her.

“Wait… Did… Did the Night Mother know you were in her room?”

She gasped, squealing in laughter as the pair’s cheeks burned bright red, neither suddenly willing to meet her eyes as they lowered her hooves.

“Night Mother let those docter’s and nurses in ‘er room though.” Quick pointed out.

Dusk stared at him for a moment, before chuckling. “Do you happen to remember what happen the last time you were in her room? At least, the last time you were there with her knowledge.” Dusk teased, giggling at the redness in Quick’s cheeks.

“Umm..”

“Night Mother kicked you out for leaning against one of her chairs. You got booted out of the room, and she lectured you on your reckless endangerment to her furniture.” Among the bat-ponies of Canterlot, Princess Luna’s knack for cleanliness was legendary. Beside the mess whatever project she was working on currently caused, her room was always the epitome of spotlessness.

“Oh… yea ah remember that.” Quick said, scratching embarrassedly at the back of his head. “Why’s that matta anyways?”

“Night Mother asked me to watch over Trixie during the night, and… well she surprised me. Night Mother has an ordered chaos to her room. After the doctors and nurses had cleared out, the room was an absolute mess. Everything was out of place, her furniture had been moved in spots, and there were medical supplies laying about.”

Quickshot chuckled, imagining the chaos in his room. “Oy, Ah bet Night Mother didn’t enjoy that.”

“I wouldn’t know. She hasn’t cleaned anything.” Dusk said, staring pointedly at Quickshot.

Quickshot froze, surprise evident on his face.

“She spent most of the night watching Trixie sleep. Night Mother was too scared that she would take a sudden turn for the worse to even think of cleaning. She sat right beside her, constantly fussing over a mare who didn’t even realize she was there.” Dusk said, glancing at Quickshot pointedly. She scowled at the disbelieving expression on his face.

“I jus’ don’t know Dusk.. Trixie is her student… it makes sense for her to be worried about her.” Quickshot murmured, scratching at his chin dismissively.

“That proves it even better!” Dusk said, slapping the ground with a steel covered hoof. “Night Mother saw something special in Trixie, something that made Night Mother want to take on a student… for quite possible the first time!”

“Even if you are crushing on her Quick, It is our duty to make our Night Mother happy.” Dusk said slowly, gauging the stallions response carefully.

“Wha-! I don’t like Blue!” He shouted, shaking his hooves frantically.

“That’s not what I’ve been hearing..” She said flatly, her jaw set and her eyes narrowed. “Is it not true that you’ve been watching her bedroom window quite a few times on your nights outside the tower? You know, when you’ve been supposed to be watching Night Mothers?”

“Well-That-I mean-” Quick stammered, eyes wide at the bat-mare’s sudden angry outburst.

“And, there’s the score of doctors you pulled into Night Mothers room when Trixie was sickly.” Dusk said, prodding the stallion’s chest as she spoke. “Looks to me like you care an awful lot for a mare that’s new to Canterlot!” She said, sarcasm literally dripping from her fangs as she spoke.

“Fer the las’ time, Ah don’t like Blue n’ that way!” He said, slamming a hoof onto the floor irritatedly. “Ah mean sure, she’s cute for a unicorn, an Ah really like er’ mane! ‘Er color blue is nice to, and the way she gets mad is kinna sweet… Ah’m not helpin’ mah case ere’, am ah..?” He trailed off, falling onto his haunches as his shoulders fell.

“Does Trixie like Night Mother?” Silver Wing asked, cutting across the two arguing bat-ponies effortlessly.

“Ugh-I…” Dusk took a deep breath, letting it out slowly as she retreated a few steps and sat down, tail sweeping across the floor. “It seems like it. I haven’t been around her much, but if what Quickshot said is true,” She said, glancing at the stallion briefly. “she kissed Night Mother in front of two doctor’s. So that’s gotta mean something, right?”

Silver wing nodded curtly, cocking his head as he mulled over her words.

“And if she didn’t like Night Mother, why would she get so upset and run away like that? She chose to nearly die, than to remain in the castle. From what I have seen so far, Trixie seems pretty keen on her luxuries. If Night Mother had made Trixie angry, and Trixie didn’t like her, she would have stewed for a few days, and that would have been the end of it. But we saw how that ended right?” Dusk said, an almost pleading tone to her voice.

“Ah suppose.” Quickshot muttered.

“Look.. I’m a mare, and I know how mare’s work. Night Mother might not even realize she likes Trixie yet, And Trixie might not realise she likes Night mother, but to me, it’s obvious that they do. We’re sworn to protect our Mother and this will make her happy, Quickshot. Happier than she has been in a very… very long time.” Dusk pleaded, lip poked at over her fangs as she pouted up at him.

For his part, Quickshot didn’t immediately buckle. But even the coldest hearted stallion could only last so long against Dusk’s batty pout face, and she fully knew this.

“Fine… Ah’ll help you with this cockamamie plan, but if Night Mother gets angry, it’s coming out of your flank!” He said, poking the mare in the chest as he stood, strolling past her to look out the window. He could just make out the curtains pulled across Luna’s windows, blocking him from seeing any further into the room. “If yah honestly thought it’d make Night Mother happy, I’d go to tartarus and back.” He declared, slapping a hoof against his chest armor.

Across from him, Silverwing copied the movement, earning a shake of the head from Dusk. She loved her fellow guards quite dearly, but only stallions could prove to be so corny at times.

“Alright than. Here’s what we do first…”

“This is really good!” Trixie murmured, cheeks full of food as she spooned more of the soup the maids had brought to her bedside earlier. “You should try some!”

She prodded Luna’s side, frowning as the princess remained perfectly still.

“Oh wait, Trixie forgot!” She said sarcastically, brandishing the spoon as she waved it back and forth while she talked. “You're off in Dreamland!”

She grumbled to herself, staring into her soup for a moment before setting it to the side grumpily. “Trixie is so bored.. Food doesn’t even interest her anymore..”

She sighed, slumping against the bed as she stared at the ceiling once again. She was proud to note that even if this whole Princess’s student deal didn’t work out, she would be able to tell anypony who would listen that she knew the exact number of stars in Princess Luna’s bedrooms ceiling mural. Not everypony could say that.

She sighed, staring at Luna and thinking of the good work she'd done while bored. Luna's mane now sported about a dozen little braids and bows, the bows made from a ball of sparkling twine Trixie managed to reach that was sticking out from under Luna's bed. What was she doing with twine anyways? Is she making something? Trixie wished she could peek under the bed more, but explaining to Luna why she woke up with Trixie lying on the floor would be awkward.

"Stupid sickness.." Trixie wiggled one of her near useless hooves, annoyed at the jelly-like weakness she got from them.

“Uhhhh…” She groaned, slumping onto her side discontentedly. “Stupid pneumonia… Stupid rain… Stupid Luna..”

“I resent that.”

“Well of course you do…” Trixie said, blinking slowly as the voice clicked into her mind. She blushed bright red as she turned, a faux smile on her muzzle as she grinned at Luna. “Um- Sorry.”

“It’s okay. I would resent being stuck in a bed for hours.” Luna said, smiling at the little pony lying beside her.

“Trixie bets.” Trixie said, cocking her head at Luna. “Is that why you spend all your time Dream walking? So, you can be here, in case anything happens, but still not have to actually BE here?” She asked, curiously.

“Actually, I cannot dream for myse-”

“Like ever?”

“Like ever. I haven’t been able to dream since I began raising the moon, and if I could before than, I do not recall any of them.” She explained, looking out over her bedroom slowly. “Since I cannot dream for myself, I visit the dreams of my citizens, helping them where I am able to, and warding off their nightmares. It is a mutual benefit. I gain the sleep and relaxation I need, and my citizens get an easy nightmare-less night of rest.”

Trixie mulled over this for a moment, before a question formed inside her head.
“So.. when a pony is having a nightmare, you can find them specifically?”

Luna nodded. “Yes. It is much like a… a cry for help in a silent world.”

“So… you really were just trying to help Trixie. You couldn’t help but see her having Nightmares…” She said guiltily, avoiding Luna’s eyes. “Trixie is sorry, Luna. I didn’t think, and I.. I just jumped to conclusions...”

“It’s… I can’t say its okay. You worried me greatly… But it will be okay.” Luna said, smiling reassuringly at the mare. “Soon enough, you’ll be healthy and fit, and it’ll be like it never happened.”

“Yea, Until than, Trixie is stuck in this dumb bed though!” Trixie blurted out, waving a hoof across the cover.

“Why don’t you read a book?”

Trixie leveled a dead panned expression at Luna, drawing a chuckle from the dark furred mare.
“Point taken… I’m sure there’s something we can find for you to do…” She trailed off, looking around the room slowly.

“Is… is it possible to take somepony with you?” Trixie asked, shifting restlessly. Luna raised a brow at her, a question forming on her lips before Trixie elaborated. “Trixie means, is it possible to take somepony dream walking with you?”

“It is.” She smiled, mulling over the question for a moment. “Would you like to come Dream walk with me, Trixie?”

“It would be better than having to sit in this bed for hours on end. Despite the abundant softness of your fur, it gets rather old counting the stars on your ceiling by the way.”

“Very well. We shall go over the basics of dream walking for now, and as it grows dark… I will take you with me.”

Author's Note:

Sorry it's been so long since an updates everyone! I've been slammed in work, so I sat myself down, redid my notes and started writing! I forgot how much I missed it lol Anyways, a little bit of a longer chapter tonight, and some special artwork will be coming soon :p

I have a friend drawing me up some refrence photos for my Oc's, so be on the lookout for them!

Silver Wing