• Published 3rd Sep 2013
  • 5,370 Views, 310 Comments

Luna's Apprentice - ScientistTrixie



Princess Luna and Trixie Lulamoon have both made mistakes in the past, mistakes that have made them outcast in Equestria. Now that Luna has taken Trixie as her student, they will work together to show Equestria their true potential!

  • ...
21
 310
 5,370

Falling Out

Trixie awoke the next morning refreshed, the memories of her dream already slipping away. She shook her shoulders, shaking the covers that had bunched up around her through the night. The blue mare stood with a small smile, patting down her mane with a hoof as she pushed herself toward the edge of the bed.

Her hooves clopped over the stone below her as she lowered herself to the ground, making a beeline toward her bathroom. After her morning business was taken care of, she spent a few minutes brushing her mane and coat. She jumped slightly as a tall figure stepped into view through the open bathroom door.

“Princess Luna! How are yo… Is something wrong?” Trixie asked, ears lowering slowly as she cocked her head at the towering alicorn. Luna was staring at Trixie with a strange look on her face, as if trying to solve a puzzle that was missing half of its parts.

“No, I just… I was… Everything’s fine.” Luna said after a moment. She smiled at Trixie, stepping out of the mares way as she exited her bathroom. Trixie stared at her for a moment before looking away, a light blush on her cheeks.

“Well then.. Trixie has something to show you!” The unicorn blurted out, prancing in place excitedly. Luna lifted a brow at her, shaking her head in amusement as Trixie trotted to the far side of the room.

She took several deep breaths, focusing on sending a steady stream of magic to collect at the tip of her horn. She pushed the magic away from herself, mist slowly spiraling off her horn to collect in the air before her. Sparkling orbs of light began appearing before her, slowly growing larger and larger until apple sized motes of energy hung in the mist’s depths.

“Wait Trixie!” Luna suddenly blurted out, startling Trixie and breaking the mare’s focus on her spell. The mist coiled in on itself, rolling and rumbling faster and faster until a loud bang sounded through the room. Smoke appeared where Trixie stood, blocking the mare from the princesses vision.

“Oh no!” Luna yelled, horn flaring as summoned a gust of wind to blow away the smoke. Trixie stared straight ahead, ignoring Luna’s stifled snickers as the alicorn took in Trixie’s new appearance. Where before Trixie had a beautiful silver mane, her mane now stood up at odd angles, tinged black and singed in different places. Her face had thick black scorch marks on her cheeks, and a single eyebrow had a small flame burning at its tip.

“Trixie… umm. Your eyebrow is still…”

“Trixie knows…” She said, still as a statue as she glared heatedly at her mentor.

Luna stared at her, opening and closing her mouth several times, hesitating to speak. Her ears slowly laid flat against her skull as she avoided Trixie’s glare, pretending to be very interested in the reflection coming off her shoe. After several seconds of silence, she slowly leans toward the smoking mare, pursing her lips together as she blew out the small flame.

“Hehehe… All better now… Right?” Luna asked, smiling nervously.

“If you will excuse Trixie… she is going to freshen up and you can explain what you need to talk to her about.” Trixie said slowly, her voice even but with a frustrated tone to it. She stood, trotting into the bathroom before she slammed the door behind her.

Luna stared at the door for a moment, before her eyes darted to the empty room around her. Her horn flared with shadowy energy as two fat pillows popped into existence. They fell to the ground with a low plop, a stylized moon sewn into the center of the dark fabric. She stepped toward the nearest pillow, lowering herself onto her side as she nestled into the comfortable furnishing.

Trixie walked out of the bathroom, still shooting a half hearted glare at Luna. She spotted the pillow, and Luna could see the question on the tip of the mare’s lips, but to her credit, she didn’t ask. She nestled into the pillow across from Luna, patting at her mane as she turned her full attention to her mentor.

“Alright.. You haven’t been my student for long, hardly even a week so far... but you act differently than I was expecting.” Luna said, watching Trixie’s expression carefully. “I mean, I had heard of how egotistical and… braggy you could be, but you aren’t.”

Trixie frowned, her brows furrowing together as she thought over her actions from the last week. She opened her mouth to speak, but was suddenly interrupted by Luna.

“I mean, you say the things I was expecting, and you flaunt yourself like I was expecting… But there’s no heart in your actions. You hesitate and doubt yourself and at times, you over act.” Luna said, wetting her lips as she waited for Trixie to respond.

“Trixie doesn’t know what-”

“Yes you do Trixie. You alternate between being afraid to speak and begging for attention. I know what you’re going through Trixie… I went through the same thing when I let myself become N-Nightmare Moon.” She said, shivering as the hated name slipped off her tongue. “You’re trying to act how you think you should, but you’re not being yourself… You are trying to be who you used to be…”

Trixie stared at her for a moment, before dropping her gaze to the floor below her.

“Trixie has just had a stumbling point or two… or three. Lately. She is trying to adjust from living in squalor to something much more befitting her status. It’s just taking me time to get over… things.”

Luna stared at her with a brow lifted, before slowly shaking her head. “You also have this bad habit of slipping in and out of your… normal… speech whenever you are trying to convince someone else how you’re doing.”

Trixie leaned forward, slapping the floor with her hooves as she sputtered incoherently. “I-Trixie has no idea what you mean! Trixie does not need to convince anyone else how she is doing! Trixie is doing just fine!” She yelled, stressing her name as she glared at Luna.

“Physically maybe… even after a week, your ribs are starting to become less pronounced against your skin, and your coat is starting to grow in nicely. In a matter of weeks, you will be a picture of health once again, and if I may say so, quite a beautiful mare.” She said, a smile appearing on her face as she let her gaze slide over Trixie’s body, lingering on her cutie mark before she continued.

“Are you trying to imply that Trixie is not a ‘beautiful mare’ right now?”

“No Trixie, I assure you I find you to be quite…” She trailed off, blushing as she noticed her eyes lingering on Trixie’s cutie mark for a moment too long. “...captivating. But in the future you will only become more beautiful as your body recovers fully.”

“Oh… umm. Trixie’s… glad you cleared that up…” She said, shifting uncomfortably with a bright blush on her cheeks.

“But mentally… I worry about you, Trixie. You tell everypony you are fine, but I can see that you’re hurting. If you want to talk, you know you can, right?”

“Trixie is fine. I promise Luna.” Trixie said, a smile on her face, that even Luna could tell was fake.

“You were much more honest in your sleep…” Luna muttered, sighing with irritation. She glanced up as Trixie shrieked.

“WHAT?!? You’ve been watching Trixie in her sleep?” Trixie eyed the Alicorn, her hooves sliding over the floor as she tried to shift herself and her pillow a few feet away from Luna. “While Trixie is used to others viewing her with… lustful intentions she would thank you if you would cease acting like a stalker this instant!”

Luna chuckled at Trixie’s rant, earning another glare from the mare. “I have not been watching you while you sleep Trixie, but I have visited you in your dreams. Twice, so far,” she said, anticipating the question before Trixie could voice it. “I visited you the night before I took you as my student… You dreamed of Ponyville,” Luna said slowly, leaving the contents of the dream to be remembered by the mare before her.

“And the other?” Trixie said, her voice oddly level as she sat stiffly, an odd look in her eyes.

“Last night. I noticed you were having another nightmare… the 6th or 7th since you became my student, so I decided to try to help you.” She said, her brows furrowing as Trixie suddenly clenched her jaw. “I am sorry if you feel that I overstepped my bounds. I was not trying to invade your privacy, but merely relieve whatever was troubling you.”

“What did you see?” Once again, the mare’s voice was disturbingly calm, almost emotionless.

“You were performing a show. But as you performed a card trick… the crowd vanished.” Luna said, studying Trixie’s reaction as the mare’s stiffened even further. Luna licked her lips, worry starting to creep into her voice as she spoke.

“A single mare stayed.. and you called her mother… and she walked away.” Luna explained, avoiding Trixie’s eyes as the mare stared past her, relieving the dream from last night.

“So.. that was the real… you. In my dream..?” Trixie said, trailing off as Luna nodded. They remained silent for a moment, Luna too hesitant to speak, while Trixie was too angry at the moment.

“What happened between you and your mother Trixie?” Luna said after a moment, shattering the uncomfortable silence between the two. She instantly regretted her curiosity as Trixie leveled a glare that Luna was sure would kill a lesser pony from pure intent.

“Nothing.” She bit out, her voice thick with anger. “Just forget what you saw.”

“Please Trixie… let me help you.” Luna said, almost begging the mare. “I know what happens when you leave things unresolved like this…”

“No Princess. Just leave it.”

“Trixi-”

“I abandoned her okay! I decided I knew better than she did, so I left in the middle of the night and I never once looked back! I never saw her again, and If I’m lucky, I never will!” She screamed, throwing the pillow she had just been sitting on across the room with an angry snort. A crack rang through the room as Trixie’s horn flared brightly, her eyes locked on the alicorn before her.

“I left our house in the middle of the night, taking the cape and hat my father made for me, and I left her all alone!” Trixie screamed, her voice cracking as an angry tear splashed the ground between the two.

“I’m sorry Trixie… I didn-”

“No you didn’t know.” Trixie said, her voice low and almost horrifyingly empty. She lifted her head to glare at Luna, before turning away from her and stomping to her bedroom door. She slung the door open with a burst of magic, sparing a single glance over her shoulder at the bewildered mare.

“Stay out of my dreams…” She opened her mouth to say more, but after a moment snapped her mouth shut. “Just… stay out.” She turned, her magic slamming the door shut behind her as she galloped down the hallway.

Luna stepped forward, glancing down in surprise at the sound of crunching tile. A spiderweb of destruction radiated out from where Trixie had sat just moments ago, destroyed in an awe inspiring loss of control. In places the tile no longer resembled a single floor, but resembled sand and crushed rock.Luna blinked slowly, before her body leapt into motion.

She raced across the room, her hooves skidding across the stone floor as she burst through the doors. To her dismay, Trixie was already out of her sight. The dark mare galloped down the hallways, sliding to a stop as she came to the corner that would take her to the palace entry way. At the end of the hallway she could just make out the tip of a silver tail vanishing around the corner, the clopping of hooves fading into the distance.

Luna took off, racing down the hallway as she tried to catch up to the angry mare. Blood pumped in her ears as she ran, her veins on fire as she zoomed down the hallway, sliding to a stop at the balcony railing that overlooked the staircase leading into the main hall. Trixie raced away from her, having just left the staircase before Luna entered the large room.

“Trixie!” Luna screamed, eyes widening as the mare stumbled, sparing a second to glance back at the balcony.

“Please don’t go!” The cerulean mare slid to a stop, staring at her for a moment before looking away, anger appearing on her face once more. She turned, her hooves slapping the stone below her as she galloped out of the palace, rushing past a pair of confused guards.

“Princess? Is everything okay?” A guard she recognized as Broad Star asked her.

“No… But I hope it will be.”

“Princess? Are you listening to me?”

“Of course I am. Please go on.” Celestia answered, smiling as the noble seemed to puff himself up before continuing with his… whatever he was droning on about. She cocked her head, idly wondering how the Noble would react if Celestia was to doze off on him. She had to stifle a giggle with her hoof, playing it off as a rather unconvincing cough.

Celestia jumped in her seat as the throne doors were suddenly slammed open, revealing Celestia’s sister and co-ruler in their place. Celestia opened her mouth to greet her sister but let her voice die in her throat at the expression on Luna’s face. She unconsciously scooted away from her sister, a deep instinctive worry filling her body as her sister stepped closer.

Luna passed the nobles without a word, ignoring the indignant cry from the one who had previously been holding audience with Princess Celestia. Luna’s shoes tapped metallically across the steps leading up to Celestia’s seat, a sharp almost hypnotic pattern emerging from the depths of her furious walk.

“I-Is something the matter, Luna?” Celestia asked, seeming to shrink in on herself as Luna came to a stop directly in front of her. The dark alicorn slowly leaned forward, until her lips were nearly touching Celestia’s ears before speaking.

“YOU SUCK AT GIVING ADVICE!” Luna screamed into her ear, aided by the untamed fury that was the Royal Canterlot Voice. Celestia flinched, nearly taking flight as she sought to put distance between her and the angry screaming. She ended up slipping over the armrest of her seat, taking shelter nearly behind her throne before Luna stopped screaming.

Luna panted slowly, shooting a death glare at her sister before spinning around and leaving the throne room without another word. The nobles slowly stepped out from behind the various pillars they had taken shelter behind, staring at the doorway as if afraid Luna would reappear at any moment. Celestia herself could be seen peeking around the edge of her throne in bewilderment, her eyes wide and her hair blown back as if by a large invisible wind.

“What did I do to deserve that?” Celestia said weakly, glancing at her two guards who had remained motionless throughout the ordeal.

Author's Note:

A/N: I apologize for the long wait, I've been extremely busy with work and personal matters. We are down to 3 cashiers, including myself at my work out of our usual 8 so you can imagine the hours I am working. On top of that, I spent this last weekend away from home for a memorial for my grandmother.

Anyways, I hope you like the new chapter. I am writing the 9th chapter as we speak so hopefully I'll have it posted before Friday. Please make sure to Comment below so I can see how people like my chapter :pinkiehappy: