• Published 3rd Sep 2013
  • 5,371 Views, 310 Comments

Luna's Apprentice - ScientistTrixie



Princess Luna and Trixie Lulamoon have both made mistakes in the past, mistakes that have made them outcast in Equestria. Now that Luna has taken Trixie as her student, they will work together to show Equestria their true potential!

  • ...
21
 310
 5,371

A Proposition over Lunch

Trixie stared at the hat in her hooves, silently toying with the smooth fabric. She groaned as her stomach growled, rubbing her belly with a hoof. The mare glanced up as a loud knock sounded at her door, jumping to her hooves as another three knocks echoed throughout her wagon. She stepped across the wagon, donning her hat and cape as she walked. She hesitated, her hoof on the door as she slowly pushed it open. The cerulean unicorn yelped as the door swung open, revealing a muscular bat pony standing on the steps of her caravan.

“Wha-Who are you?” Trixie blurted out, pressing a hoof to her thumping chest. The bat pony cocked his head, studying Trixie for a moment before answering.

“My name is Silver Wing.” He said, taking a step backwards to allow the mare to follow him out of the caravan. “Princess Luna wishes to see you at the castle.”

“Is Trixie in trouble for something?” The mare asked, hooves shuffling nervously underneath her.

“No.”

Trixie eyed Silver warily, eyes lingering on the strangely colored wings tucked into the bat ponies side. He stared at her resolutely, his face a blank mask exposing sharp fangs at either side of his mouth. He turned without a word, his hooves stomping over the ground as he marched away from her, only stopping to look back at her until she shakily followed him.

He remained motionless until she fell in place behind him, nervously glancing back at her caravan. The pair walked down the length of the alleyway, Trixie peppering the stallion with questions as they walked.

“So… Why do you have bat wings?” Trixie asked, flicking her mane over her shoulder.

Silver Wing trotted quietly, leveling one large golden eye on her. “I am a Moori. You ponies know my kind as Bat-ponies.”

“What’s it like working for Princess Luna?”

Silver Wing walked on, ignoring the mare’s question. Trixie narrowed her eyes, glaring at the stallion irritatedly.

“Do you eat bugs?” Trixie asked, smirking at the stallion. Her expression fell as he ignored her, staring straight ahead as if she hadn’t even spoken. Finally the pair exited the alleyway, Trixie’s steps faltered as a chariot straight from her nightmares appeared around the corner.

The reins were connected to two broad shouldered bat ponies, their eyes staring straight forward, but their ears swiveling to jerk in her direction. The reigns connected to a deep purple metal chariot, all sharp edges and sleek curves, unlike the gentle swoops and rolls of a Solar chariot. Also unlike its solar counterpart, this chariot had the opening facing forward, rather than the rear chariots the solar guard preferred.

The material of the chariot perfectly matched the armor of the four bat ponies present, two ignoring her, and two studying her like their life depended on it. A single bat pony stood at attention at the rear of the chariot, yellow slitted eyes focused on Trixie.

“Wha-what is the meaning of this?” Trixie asked, turning her gaze on the bat creature trotting beside her. She blinked in surprise as the bat-pony in front of her finally chose to answer.

“Princess Luna has requested your presence at the castle.” The stallion repeated, bowing his head to her politely. Trixie returned the gesture half heartedly, eyes darting around her rapidly.

She hesitated, costing her any chance she had at running away. Beside her, Silver wing beckoned toward the small steps leading into the seat section of the chariot. Trixie sighed, reluctantly boarding the chariot, the two bat ponies taking a seat at either side.

“Ah’m Quickshot. That’s Silver Wing.” The unknown bat pony said, beckoning to the bat-pony opposite him with a wry grin on his face. His voice was thick, with an accent that the mare couldn’t quite place.

“Yes he told Trixie as much a moment ago.” Trixie said, glancing dismissively at the bat stallion beside her as she returned Quickshots greeting.

“Well as… Anti-socia’ as Silver is Ah couldn’t be sure if he would introduce himself.” Quickshot elaborated, nudging Silver with his wing. Silver remained silent, only acknowledging the prod with a slight wrinkling in his nose.

Trixie stared at the pair, suddenly squeaking as the two moori at the front of the chariot took off running. The chariot rocketed down the alleyway, slowly lifting into the air as the two bat ponies at the front flapped their wings.

Wind whipped past Trixie’s mane, blowing it back as the chariot soared above the buildings around them. She lifted her neck, closing her eyes as she felt the breeze against her face, grabbing at her hat as the gale threatened to rip it off. They circled in the air, going higher and higher, until the castle and the tip of the mountain were the only things higher than them.

Trixie opened her eyes, craning her neck to look over the edge of the chariot at the ponies below. She gulped at the height, fighting down a bundle of nerves rising up in her stomach. A bird shot pass the chariot, wings pumping as it soared beside them for a minute. Trixie’s eyes slid over the birds wings, fascinated at the way the wind rolled over the feathers as it flew.

The two bat-ponies at the reins turned toward the palace, dragging them through the sky like a rocket. They soared over the walls of the palace, the large bat pony at her side laughing as a squad of bat ponies soared overhead, rolling onto their backs and nodding at the chariot as they went.

“Look at ‘em, showing off like a flock of peacocks!” Quickshot said, laughing at their antics. “If ol’ Silver Wing was out there, he’d out fly ‘em with both hooves tied behind his back.” Quickshot said, laughing as he prodded Silver Wing, who turned a single large yellow eye on him. Silver’s lip curled upwards, as he watched the squad fly above them.

“Hold on there kid, we’re goin’ in for a landing.” Quickshot said, bracing himself. Ahead, the two ponies went into a deep dive, the chariot snapping downward behind them. Trixie screamed, scrambling to grab onto Shot’s side. A moment later, the chariot rolled to a stop, their ride coming to an end in the largest of Canterlot castles courtyards. Trixie slowly released Quickshot, her cheeks a rosy red as she avoided his eye.

Trixie pulled herself to her feet, leaping down onto the ground, ignoring Quickshots stifled laughter. She gazed around Canterlot palace’s massive courtyard, staring in awe at the colossal fountain in the center of the courtyard. She slowly trotted to the foot of the fountain, eyes wide at the mountains of shimmering bits laying useless just below the water.

She leaned in further, gazing at her reflection in the calm water. “Oh Celestia…”

The first thing she noticed was how dirty her hair looked. Her once beautiful pale blue and white mane was spotted with dirt, more a dingy beige color than it should be. Her eyes appeared sunken slightly, most likely from the trouble sleeping the last few months. She leaned over the fountain, gasping at the sight of her stomach in the water. She could see her ribs, ever so visible from beneath her cerulean coat. She shuddered, lowering herself to sit on her haunches.

“Come on, you! Let’s go get some meat on those scrawny bones!” Quickshot said as he trotted up, patting her on the back, nearly knocking her to the ground. She turned suddenly, flaring at him before resuming her seat indignantly.

“Trixie is not ‘scrawny’,” She said, mocking his accent as she brushed imaginary dirt off her chest. “Trixie is… Trixie is petite.”

“If you were any more ‘petite’, you would have been blown out of the chariot!” Quickshot said, talking over his shoulder as he trotted back to Silver, beckoning for the show mare to follow him. She sighed, following Quickshot as Silver fell in place beside her, walking silently.

They exited the courtyard, her hooves clacking on the stonework below her as they entered an open hall, leading further into the castle. Trixie gazed around the hallway, eyes lingering on each tapestry and statue they passed, amazed at the vivid colors represented on the various works of art.

As they entered the massive dining halls Trixie gasped in awe, her eyes roaming to the cavernous ceiling above her. Colorful banners hung from the pillars lining the walls with several large chandeliers affixed at regular intervals throughout the room. A long dark wooden table stretched nearly the length of the room, decorated with large pots full of wildflowers every so many feet. The table could easily sit a few dozen ponies, give or take a few. She lingered at the entrance to the room, her hooves failing to help her keep up with the two stallions in front of her.

“Come on, blue!” Quickshot yelled back, his tail flicking behind him. Trixie shook herself, galloping to catch up with the pair.

The trio walked around the table, passing through a small side door, leading into a smaller side dinner hall. A small table sat in the center of the room, 6 chairs spaced evenly around it. Quickshot trotted forward, beckoning for the mare to take a seat. He reared back onto his back legs, pulling a chair out for Trixie as she stepped forward.

Trixie nodded her head in thanks, taking the offered seat as she glanced around the room. As her eyes roamed, the two moori behind her passed through the doorway they had entered, closing it behind them. As the door behind her snapped closed, the one in front of her opened.

Four servant ponies entered the room, three mares of various colors, and one large stallion. The mares pushed carts with their forehooves, while the stallion carried a massive salad bowl on a platter balanced atop his back. They lined up to one side of the table, silently nodding at Trixie.

The stallion stepped forward, rolling his shoulder to slip the salad onto the table. Behind him, the mares stepped forward setting various plates and platters of fruits and greens that had Trixie visibly foaming at the mouth. Another mare trotted into the room, quickly depositing the large jugs of juice that sat upon her cart onto the table. Once all the plates and drinks were set upon the table, the servants bowed low, each turning and trotting out of the room one after the other.

“Wait!” Trixie called, before the last mare could leave the room. “Why is Trixie here?”

“Can I get you anything else, miss Lulamoon?” The mare responded after a moment of silence. When Trixie just stared at her, the mare smiled and left the room.

Trixie grumbled, snatching a bread roll off a large platter in front of her. She tore into the bread, munching angrily. Her stomach growled loudly as she swallowed, her hunger reigniting as the food hit her empty belly.

She finished the roll in a moment, snatching another one as her horn lit up with a magenta glow, fruits and greens floating into a pile on her plate. She tore into the food with renewed vigor, teeth mashing together as she forwent any and all utensils.

Luna trotted through the palace, her hooves pounding the stone below her grumpily. She had hoped to be able to meet with Trixie Lulamoon already, but those thrice-damned nobles of Celestia’s had whined and complained every time she had sought to leave her sister’s court. She rarely attended the day court, and days like this reminded her why she resisted invitations to attend.

“Damn nobles… they whine like a soiled filly!”

She sighed, slowing to a stop just outside the hall Trixie dined in at this very moment. She allowed herself a moment, taking several deep breaths as she tried to calm down. She stepped forward, pushing the door open with a mere thought.

She entered the room, a warm smile on her face as she set eyes on the cerulean mare. Her smile froze as her eyes widened, slowly taking in the mess of empty plates and platters sprawled out across the table. Trixie herself sat at the head of the table, slowly rubbing a hoof across her distended belly. Luna lifted an eyebrow, glancing at the chair down the table that had previously been pulled out for the blue mare before her. Apparently, after the servants had left the room, the mare saw fit to reseat herself.

“Well… umm. I had intended to share a meal with you, and discuss a proposition…” Luna said, scratching at the back of her mane. “But it seems, you were slightly… hungrier… than I had anticipated.” She said, gazing past Trixie’s stunned expression at the plates, searching for a single piece of food that had not been eaten, or at the very least not bitten into.

Trixie struggled to sit up straighter, bowing her head as low as she could manage. Her cheeks flushed as she struggled to bow, her head finally falling back as she panted lightly. “Trixie apologizes Princess. If Trixie may be so bold… why did you need to see her?”

“Well… I saw what you did for that filly last night.” Luna said, darting around Trixie’s question. “I was very impressed with both your magic, and your actions. I hate to think what would've happened to her if you had not rescued her.” Luna explained, horn flaring as she drew herself a chair. She sat, taking her position at the table across from the unicorn.

“Is Trixie being rewarded?” She asked, her eyes sparkling eagerly as she sat up straighter in her chair.

“Well… I do want to thank you for helping her.” Luna said, shaking her head. Trixie slumped in her seat, huffing loudly. “But, as I said, I have a proposition for you.”

“Trixie is listening.”

“I want you to become my student.” Luna said, smiling smugly as Trixie’s jaw dropped. “It will not be easy. You will be tested, and pushed, molded and worked over, in ways that you cannot even imagine. There will be days you hate me, and I look forward to them.” Luna said, smiling almost savagely.

“Because in the end you will be better for it. You will learn magics the world has long since forgotten, secrets lost centuries ago. A room will be provided for you here in the castle, as well as a monthly allowance.” Luna explained, bumping her hooves together as she talked.

“Why?” Trixie asked, staring at the table. She put her forelegs on the table, tapping out a beat with the flat of her hooves.

“Why? I just explained it to you?” Luna said, blinking confusedly at her.

“You see Trixie do one good deed and decide she’s good enough to be your student?” Trixie said, tapping the table with her hoof. She shook her head. “Trixie doesn’t buy it. She has done plenty of things in life she regrets… Things she wishes she could take back.”

Luna smiled, nodding at the unicorn approvingly. “I applaud you for not taking this offer at face value. I understand your doubts, and yes I am aware of the incidents in Ponyville. Which is exactly why I am asking you.” At Trixie’s blank expression Luna elaborated.

“I understand how it is to have something in your past you are not proud of.” Luna said, her smile slipping ever so slightly. “I am giving you a chance to prove that you are sorry. If you will become my student, we will figure out a way to show all of Equestria that you are not the mare everypony else thinks you are.”

“If this is that important to you,” Trixie responded after a moment, attempting and ultimately failing at projecting an uncaring air. “Than Trixie doesn’t see how she could refuse such a request.”

Luna cocked an eyebrow, fighting the smile on her face. “We… may need to work on your humility a bit…”

Author's Note:

A/N:Well I got alot of good suggestions in the comments, as well as a few new favorite songs from Syrigollen0311! Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

A/N 2: Decided to go ahead and post chapter 3 so I could at least get the story to the point where Trixie is now Luna's student! Leave a comment below and let me know what you think!

Edited by: Phaoray