• Published 3rd Sep 2013
  • 5,370 Views, 310 Comments

Luna's Apprentice - ScientistTrixie



Princess Luna and Trixie Lulamoon have both made mistakes in the past, mistakes that have made them outcast in Equestria. Now that Luna has taken Trixie as her student, they will work together to show Equestria their true potential!

  • ...
21
 310
 5,370

Talks and Terrors

Trixie hummed to herself, a sly smile on her muzzle as she finished tugging on the last silken bow. A quick burst of magic, and the ribbons faded from view, leaving nothing but a shimmering expanse of celestial mane behind.

She laid back slowly, flicking her eyes toward her mentors still glowing ones. Luna had been spending more and more time walking amongst ponies dreams as of late, so the bed bound mare had started entertaining herself with finding ways to hide more ribbons and bows in the alicorn’s mane. After the first few days, it became more about being creative than original, and it wasn’t like Luna was allowing her to go out and get more materials.

Luna had quickly learned to start checking her mane before leaving the room, so Trixie began hiding the ribbons with her illusions. She won some, while Luna won others. It was one of the few things she had to look forward to outside of the limited amount of magical work Luna allowed her to perform.

Right on schedule, Luna shook her head, the light behind her eyes dimming as she turned her focus to the unicorn laying beside her.

“Not reading? Surely there is nothing else in this bed keeping you entertained.” Her tone was sarcastic, and laced with suspicion. She knew Trixie wouldn’t have just sat quietly in the bed, without doing anything. She pushed magic through her horn, searching across her body for any sign of Trixie’s tampering. A light shimmer across her mane and flank revealed that once again, the mare had cast an illusion across her body. Trixie had already cast an illusion across her once before to hide the bows. Luna gave a short laugh at the thought that Trixie wouldn’t expect her to check this time as well.

Luna dissolved the magic with a thought, chuckling as the cerulean mare frowned. She unraveled several bows, pulling them from her mane and tossing them at Trixie with a smirk.

“You’ll have to be much more creative, little filly.” Luna teased, sticking her tongue out as Trixie grumbled and growled.

“It’s not my fault I’m so bored! You know how I feel about books!” She spat the word like it was an insult, drawing a chuckle from the alicorn beside her.

“Hmmm… well I might have something you can do, but I’ll need to talk to my sister first.” She stood, stretching out her front legs as she flicked her tail behind her. “If you will excuse me for the moment, I shall return shortly.”

Trixie huffed, feigning disinterest as she rolled, facing the wall. Luna chuckled once again as she exited her bedroom, nodding happily to the familiar bat ponies standing to either side.

Dusk nodded in return, glancing across the doorway at Silver Wing. Silver’s eyes narrowed as Luna turned around, his eyes locked on her tail and flank. He opened his mouth, but shut it with a snap as Dusk extended a wing and clipped him in the chest. She shot him a glare and beckoned toward the bedroom behind them with her head. He sighed, nodding slowly as he relaxed back into a guard position.

Luna walked on, heedless to the strange amount of attention her flank and tail were drawing. She neared the doors to the throne room, eyes wide at the impressive line her sister had once again drawn to her day court. The line stretched down the far hallway, disappearing around the corner, and presumably out of the castle.

She hesitated at the entryway, a mischievous smile on her face as she surveyed the crowd. She smiled at the mare standing just outside the doorway, before closing her eyes.

With a burst of magic, she wrapped her mane around herself, her body shifting and shimmering as she lost several inches in height. Her mane and tail shrunk down, losing their ethereal appearance as the color drained away, leaving them a dull grey. Her fur turned dark grey, with lighter blotches randomly splattered across her coat. She smiled, opening her eyes to reveal their new bright sunshine-yellow coloration.

She ignored the raised eyebrows and quiet gasps from the citizens standing before her. Trotting forward, she stopped beside the mare she now perfectly resembled.

“Would you mind if I cut in front of you, miss..?”

“Night Shimmer, your highness.” The mare responded, bowing quickly. “Please, go right ahead.”

“Bring in the next case, Scroll.” Celestia said, smiling at the stallion standing beside the large ornate door. He nodded regaly, peering down at his scroll before glancing upward at the Cream colored pegasus.

“Now presenting… Night Shimmer.” Scroll drawled, hardly sparing a glance at the mare just outside the throne room’s doorway.

“Night Shimmer”, galloped into the room, her wings twitching nervously as she slid to a stop before the throne, and the princess. She threw herself to the floor before Celestia, wings shaking every so often.

“Rise Night Shimmer. What can the court… Is something wrong?” Celestia asked, finally glancing up from her royal papers to see the way the mare shook in place.

“Thank you, princess. I’m sorry to be before you in such a state.. but it’s Manehatten! There’s been a terrible tragedy!“ She bowed once again, apparently fearing the duty of having to interject the dire news into the day courts going-ons.

“What is the nature of this tragedy?” Celestia asked, hoping against herself that her ponies were over-reacting like they were so want to do.

“The entire city is starving, after an attack by a white coated menace.” At her words, Celestia leapt to her hooves, matching eyes with the surprised delegate from the city in question. His horn flared as he nervously shuffled various reports in the air before him, his eyes darting from side to side before he shrugged helplessly.

“Explain!” Celestia demanded, standing from her throne as she began cantering down the staircase, stopping only to issue commands to the guards at the throne’s base. As the stallions moved out of the throne , her eyes returned to the pegasus, who was now hovering in place, frantically rubbing her hooves nervously.

“It was terrible, your majesty! This great hairy beast descended from the sky, magic alight with golden beams as it systematically ate through the food of each and every building in the city. Its rear end became larger with each bite! Once the food was gone, it began summoning the snacks and desserts of the town…” She darted backwards as Celestia approached.

“Come with me, and tell me everything you saw while I begin issuing aid to Manehatten.” Celestia ordered, mane shimmering agitatedly.

“Of course, your highness.” The mare responded, throwing herself at Celestia’s hooves once more.

“Now tell me, what did this creature look like? It must have been very strong… What manner of offense has the city taken?”

“Um.. Well it was white.” She said, stammering as Celestia focused on the mare.

“Just breath Ms. Shimmer. You are not in any trouble, I just need to know what has already been attempted to repel the beast.”

“Of course.” Night Shimmer took several deep breaths. “It was white, with two large wings, nearly as large as yours, princess. A great spiraled horn sat atop its head, and it had a shimmering mane draped across its shoulders, in various hues of the rainbow.”

Celestia slowed at the creatures description, confused by the mares words.

“It took great pleasure in devouring the cities supply of Angel food cake! The guards attempted to lead it from the city, but it refused to be tempted away before the last one was consumed.” By this point, Celestia was staring at her with a deadpanned expression.

“....We’re doing this, now?”

“Oh dear blessed mother, no!” Night Shimmer cried, pointing a hoof at Celestia’s flank. “Its exactly the size of the great beasts! Are you in league with the monster, your highness!?”

“We’re really doing this to each other now, aren’t we? My vengeance will be swift, sister.”

“Woe to the poor foals of Canterlot! With how engorged your flank is-”

“Luna!”

“-surely this means that not a single dessert is left! Why, great Princess, why would you do this to your ponies!?”

“Ugh.. Luna… I am going to just… Ugh..” She huffed, walking off as Luna cackled, her horn flaring as she dispelled her illusion. She grinned as she walked past her sister, flicking her nose with her tail.

“Relax sister, it was just a joke.”

“It was not funny. I now have to catch several bewildered guards before they make it out of Canterlot, or they will be understandably confused upon their arrival in Manehatten.” Celestia commented, shaking her head slowly. She looked around at the gaping delegates, impressed at how strong of will they must have been to hold back the laughter she clearly saw in more than a few of their eyes. “I am afraid that I will be taking a small break from Day Court. Stop in the dining hall if you would like something to eat, and once court is brought back to session, you will regain your position in line.”

The crowd dispersed slowly, but not without a few groans of discontent. She smiled reassuringly to the crowd gathered, before stepping past her sister. “Before you go though, nice ribbons.”

Luna froze, eyes wide as her smile slipped off her face. She turned, jaw set as she faced her sister. The white alicorn was smiling widely, pointedly looking at the mare’s tail, which now had bright pink and white dotted ribbons running throughout its shimmering length. “Impossible! I checked myself before I left my room and found her illusions... “ After going silent for a moment, she sighed, and covered her face with a hoof. “She used two illusions.. and when I dispelled mine, I dispelled hers as well..”

Celestia giggled as she left the throne room, not missing her chance at a parting shot. “Looks like you will be one step behind that mare for a bit longer, at least.”

Luna growled to herself, her magic flaring as she ripped the bows out of her mane and tail, tossing them at Celestia with a scowl. “Actually… I have something I want to discuss with you.” She huffed, trotting after her smug sister.


Trixie laid against the large pillows atop Luna’s bed, staring at the ceiling absentmindedly as she thought over her earlier talk with Dusk. The bat mare’s words still echoed through her ears, and she could feel heat come to her cheeks despite Luna’s absence.


Dusk had entered the room silently, stopping just beside Luna’s bed as she liked to do. Grumbling, Trixie glanced over at her.

“Trouble in paradise?” She snickered, giggling at the startled glare from the unicorn.

“Trixie would rather not talk about it.” She rolled away, facing toward the wall and ignored the mare’s presence.

“Then don’t. You don’t have to say anything, but I have a few things to say.” Dusk said, swishing her tail underneath her as she sat down.

“Trixie is just dying to hear.”

“I understand that you have a rough past,” She commented, a slight disdain evident in her voice. “but so does Night Mother. You two are so much more alike than you realize, and if you would just open up to her, you would see how much better you could be.”

“Better? Are you insinuating that Trixie isn’t well as she is?”

Dusk nodded.

Trixie’s stare hardened and she huffed before putting a pillow over her head. “Trixie has no interest in listening to the inane ramblings of a guard. Go back to protecting hallways and leave Trixie to her greatness.”

“What? Like living in a broken down trailer? Or how ‘greatly’ you’ve been lying in bed for the last week? That’s cute for now, but it does nothing to help Night Mother, or yourself.”

A pillow hit Dusk right in the muzzle.

What do you mean?” Trixie asked, cocking an eyebrow as she looked at the mare. Dusk huffed, but gave a fanged grin as she tossed the pillow back onto the bed.

“ Okay, listen ... ” Dusk said, taking a deep breath. “Night Mother needs a friend. Before you say that she has us, we are her guards first and foremost.” She said, cutting Trixie off before the mare could speak. “We care and love Night mother, but she is our ruler. No matter what we try, she will always hold us at forelegs length away. She needs someone outside of her guard to befriend her… Someone like you, Trixie.”

“Technically, Luna is Trixie’s ruler as well, you know. Not like she’d be silly enough to try and pull rank on her, but Luna is above Trixie.”

“But that doesn’t seem to matter to her at all, at least, in your case. Whether you realize it or not, Night Mother loves you.She might not even realize it at the moment, but she does. She treats you closer to an equal than I’ve seen her treat anypony else, and I can just see a light in her eyes now that I haven’t seen since she was reunited with her sister. You are good for her.. and if… If you do not feel the same way, you need to either set the record straight with her, or leave.”

Trixie’s eyes widened at the conviction in Dusk’s voice, and the obvious unspoken threat. She opened her mouth to retort, but was shaken by the sudden smile on Dusk’s face.

“However, I know you feel the same way about her.”

“Trixie does-”

“Yea, yea, Trixie doesn’t blah blah blah.” Dusk said, waving a hoof dismissively. She ignored the scowl shot her direction, and the slack jawed expression the mare wore. “I know you don’t agree, but I see the way you look at her, and the way you react around her. You pour yourself into your work when she isn’t looking, and you try your hardest to impress her. I know for a fact that you worked yourself to exhaustion in the library, even if you played it off by telling Night Mother you were hiding from the Librarian. I also know you have a stack of books hidden in this room, despite how much you keep saying you hate reading.” Dusk took a short glance around, “I’m really surprised, I know they are here, but I still can’t see them, and Night Mother hasn’t either, if my guess right.”

Trixie went wide eyed at that, and she glanced around suspiciously.

“Have you been eavesdropping on me? Spying on Trixie?” Trixie asked skeptically.

Dusk ignored her, although her smile grew slightly larger. “I also feel as if I know you a bit. You love having the luxury of the castle, and yet the first major disagreement you’ve had with Night Mother and you-”

“Don’t talk like you know Trixie so well!” Trixie blurted out, glaring at Dusk. She attempted to appear stern, but the heavy blush in her cheeks ruined her stare.

“Me thinketh, the lady doth protest too much.” Dusk said, smirking as she headed for the doorway. She ignored the sputters coming from Trixie as she tried to form a retort.

“Look, either kiss her, mount her, or get her to mount you, I don’t really want to go into which one of you thinks they should be on top. Just make a move already, okay?. Everypony in the castle is tired of waiting for you to get over your little tantrums.”

“T-Tantrums!? Trixie is not some little-”

“Oh, its not all you. Night Mother has a lot of her own issues that I’m sure isn’t making it easy for you to nail her.”

“Look you stupid, horny fruit bat! Trixie-”

“But maybe that’s why Night Mother is attracted to you, your as messed up inside as she is.”

“Stop interrupting Tri-”

“I’m rooting for you, Trixie! You’re already in Night Mother’s bed, so the rest should be pretty easy for you. We’ll talk again later. I have quite a few bits riding on you two!”

Dusk quickly closed the door, just as something heavy crashed into it behind her.

“If Luna didn’t tell Trixie not to leave this bed, she’d come out there and see how far you can fly with two broken wings!!”

In hindsight, blurting out that last line did not help Trixie’s case at all.

Trixie rolled over and faced the door again as she came out of her thoughts. This was perhaps the third or fourth time she had gone over the exchange in her head. Each time still made her just as mad and flustered as the first. Once again, she needed to vent.

Dusk sighed as Silver Wing scooted further down the hallway, attempting, and ultimately failing to discreetly fan the air in front of him. The first one had only gotten her a quirked eyebrow. But, by the fourth such incident, Silver Wing had slowly started to inch down the hallway. By now, it was unclear just which door he was actually guarding.

A loud fart echoed through the hallway again, directly behind Dusk, causing her to blush brightly as she turned and glared at the doorway behind her. She didn’t need to see inside the room to know who was causing this.

Okay, maybe I went a little overboard. And maybe I shouldn’t have had that talk the same night I was assigned to Night Mother’s door. Feh, I hope she gets back soon, a few more, and Silver Wing will be rounding a corner..

Author's Note:

Just needed to add that this chapter wouldn't have been possible without Phaoray's help! He really helped me work out most of this chapter, so props to him!