• Published 3rd Sep 2013
  • 5,370 Views, 310 Comments

Luna's Apprentice - ScientistTrixie



Princess Luna and Trixie Lulamoon have both made mistakes in the past, mistakes that have made them outcast in Equestria. Now that Luna has taken Trixie as her student, they will work together to show Equestria their true potential!

  • ...
21
 310
 5,370

Doctors Decision

The two doctors of Canterlot Palace, Tender Heart and Soothing Tone, stood around Princess Luna’s bed uneasily, glancing at the large clock on the wall as they made small talk. They fell silent after a moment, both cocking their heads back to gaze at the near dozen nurses standing just across the room giggling amongst themselves. Soothing, a large brown unicorn turned his eyes away from the nurses, and glanced to the single bat stallion in the room, meeting his yellow eyes for a moment. He nodded and received a nod in return from the stallion. After another uncomfortable silence stretched a little too long, Tender snorted, grumbling under his breath as he turned to stomp out of the princesses bed chambers.

“Come on Tender, get back here.” The other doctor said, rolling his eyes as he frowned at the doctor trotting away. He scratched at his foreleg slowly, his horn popping to life as he smoothed his silky white surgeon’s coat.

“No! We get disturbed just before dinner, get ordered to rush to Princess Luna’s chambers, and here I am, expecting to finally get to work on something more important than some nameless guards pulled muscle. But no, we rush here only to find the room deserted, with what seems to be half the hospitals medical equipment, and the other half hanging out the door!” He yelled, pointing with one fat hoof to an iron lung sitting just outside Luna’s bedroom. “To top it off, we get ordered to wait beside the bed until our patient arrives! I am sick and tired of the way th-”

*Pop*

“The- the- the- princesses are the best!” Tender Heart finished, backpedaling after his muzzle bumped into Luna. He gaped at Luna until she stepped past him, tenderly levitating a cloaked object onto the midnight blue fabric covering her bed. Tender stepped toward the bed, craning his neck to get a better look at the strange object. He jumped as the bundle let out a gurgling moan, followed by a weak sniffle.

Luna gently pulled Trixie’s cape and hat off her, draping it carefully over Quickshot’s back as the doctors rushed to the mares side, followed by the stampede of hooves as the nurses bustled to the bed. Luna stepped back as all the medical ponies tried to squeeze in at once, her eyes narrowing as she prodded one of the nurses in the side.

“Oh.. poor Blue.” Quickshot said, chewing on his lower lip as he took in her sickly appearance. Her cerulean coat was now a pasty white, with her hair hanging lankily down her side. The sick mare’s nose and muzzle was caked in a thick mucus, and her breath was coming low and shallow. Trixie’s chest was wracked with a thick cough, and he could hear a sickly gurgle whenever she tried to clear her throat. Her eyes were shrunken into her skull, with dark rings visible underneath them.

“Excuse me, but is this many nurses really necessary?” Luna asked, gazing over the mob that stood around her bed.

“I’m sorry princess. Captain Quickshot ordered everything we had to be brought to your bedroom as soon as possible.” The nurse answered, looking around sheepishly at all the equipment that cluttered the room. Luna turned, shooting a steely glare in Quickshots direction.

The stallion in question had suddenly found a nearby heart monitor fascinating and was fiddling with the buttons and knobs as if he had become personally invested in the machine. The monitor went off suddenly, a shrill beeping filling the room as Quickshot looked around in surprise. Noting Luna's increasingly angry glare at him, Quickshot panicked, steel covered hooves snapping out as he started kicking the machine. After several kicks the machine started to sputter and shoot sparks out. Smoke came out of the monitor as the machine gave out one last slow beep before going silent.

“Um..” Quickshot said, scratching at the back of his head as he glanced around the room. “I can pay for that..”

“How many nurses would really be needed to take care of my student?” Luna inquired, turning away from Quickshot to focus on the nurse before her.

“Hmmm… One would be more than enough? The doctors can do most of it, the nurses are just here to fetc-”

*Pop*

Tender Heart looked up, cocking an eyebrow at the nearly empty room. “Where did everyone go?”

“Away.” Luna answered, her eyes not once leaving her students sickly body. “There were simply too many ponies, and too much equipment for you to possibly do your job. Will one nurse be enough after all?” Luna asked, ears slowly folding back as she second guessed her rash actions.

“Of course Princess.” The other doctor answered, peering into Trixie’s eyes with a small magnifying glass. “If we need anything else, we will be sure to let you know.”

“Thank you Soothing.” Luna stepped to the beds side, lowering her head until her eyes were nearly level with Trixie’s closed eyes. “What is wrong with her?”

The pair looked at each other for a moment, talking amongst themselves before speaking to her.

“It seems she has a bad case of pneumonia. Has she been outside recently, or been somewhere wet for long periods of time?” Soothing asked, his horn humming as he scanned her body.

Luna bowed her head, avoiding the doctors gaze as she sighed.
“She.. She ran away from the palace two days ago and spent the nights in the city. It’s my belief that she was out on the streets during the rain storm the pegasi had brought in.”

“Yes.. that would do it.” Tender answered distractedly, narrowing his scan on a dark patch at the base of her horn. “To make matters worse, it would appear that she had nearly exhausted her magical reserves just before being out in the rain for so long.”

“Oh no..” Luna muttered, her body shaking ever so slightly as she laid her head in her hooves.

“What?” Quickshot said, glancing between the two uneasily.

“When a unicorn gets sick, their magic fuels their recovery. Since Miss Lulamoon had exhausted her magic, she wasn’t able to ward off any of the illness and I’m afraid it has taken a serious toll on her health. I.. I don’t want to make you feel any worse princess, but if she hadn’t come in soon, it could have easily damaged her magic, not to mention the damage her already weakened immune system could have taken. She will recover of course, but she will have to stay away from using any magic for quite a while. Two weeks at the very minimum.”

Luna stepped forward, lowering her head to nuzzle Trixie. Trixie mumbled to herself as she tiredly nuzzled Luna back, babbling nonsense to herself. Luna sighed, biting her lip at the weak look on the mare’s face from something as easy as nuzzling her in return.

“She is in a horrid condition Princess.” Tender Heart said, glancing down at her as Luna flicked her eyes upwards without moving. “There is not much we can do, besides give her the medicine she needs.”

Trixie forced her eyes to stay open as Princess Celestia and Twilight Sparkle bent over the bed, both of them narrowing their eyes as they studied her.

“She will just have to be taken away from Luna. We’ll give her two weeks at most.” Twilight said, glancing at Celestia as the princess nodded.

Luna stepped forward, nuzzling Trixie’s ear sadly. Trixie struggled to lift her arms, groaning as she attempted to lift the lead weights holding her hooves. She settled for weakly rubbing her muzzle against Luna’s neck, her eyes half lidded with exhaustion. She struggled to speak past her numb tongue, but couldn’t find the energy to make herself heard over her own babbling.

“She is too horrid for Luna.” Celestia agreed, eyeing Trixie like a piece of rubbish that had stained her fur. “There’s nothing we can do, besides find someone better for Luna.” She said, glancing at her sister sadly for a moment.

“Noo!” Trixie finally grumbled, lurching forward until she slumped on top of Luna’s head. “Trixie doesn’t care what you have to say, she’s mine!” She hugged Luna’s head tightly, rubbing her cheek against her horn repeatedly. Trixie then buried her head in Luna’s mane, taking in the indescribable scent that seemed to hang around the lunar princess at all times. She pulled her head out of Luna’s mane just as her stomach grumbled loudly, a strange look coming across her eyes as she licked her lips slowly.

“P-Princess?” Tender Heart said slowly, avoiding her gaze. “Miss Lulamoon seems to be eating your mane.”

“I.. I realize.” Luna answered slowly, her horn sparking to life as she slowly pulled Trixie off of her. Trixie flopped onto the bed, giggling weakly as another round of coughs rattled her chest. “Mmmmm… Does all of you.. taste that good..” The cerulean mare asked, eyes closing as she passed out.

“You can all go now.” Luna squeaked out, her cheeks burning brightly even through her dark coat. Her ears pressed back against her skull at the high pitch of her voice as she avoided the doctor’s eyes. She flipped her mane forward, hiding behind it as the two stallions hid grins behind their hooves.

“Let us know if she gets any worse. We will have a nurse check up on her every hour to be on the safe side.” Tender Heart said, smiling as he trotted for the exit. Luna merely nodded as the door closed behind the two stallions.

“Is she doing any better?” Princess Luna asked, neck craning to peer over the mares shoulder as the nurse checked Trixie’s vitals.

“She’s still asleep. She just needs to rest for now.” The nurse answered, nodding to Luna as she stepped away from the bed. Luna sighed tiredly, lowering her head to rest her chin upon her forelegs.

“Very well. You may go for now. Thank you for checking on her.” Luna said, stifling a yawn as she smiled at the mare. The nurse nodded, leaving the room without another word. Luna stared after her for a brief moment, before switching her attention to Trixie’s peacefully sleeping form. She was nestled under Luna’s comforter, with the blanket pulled tight against her chin. Luna’s mind drifted off for a moment, thinking back to the young filly who had made it all the way from the far side of Canterlot for her student.

After a moment of thought, Luna focused back on Trixie, a faint smile on her face as she decided to step out for just a moment. She closed her eyes slowly, a bright white light appearing behind her eyelids as she entered the dream world.

Luna looked down at her body as she stepped out of it, before turning her gaze to Trixie’s unconscious form. She stepped forward, tracing a hoof down the cerulean mare’s cheek before turning to look out over the greater Canterlot area. Passing through her balcony doors, she swung her head from side to side, observing the city below. Luna threw herself into the air, wings snapping outwards as she soared over the walls of Canterlot palace. She directed herself toward the outskirts of Canterlot, making a beeline for the small rundown home of the filly that had alerted her to Trixie’s dire condition.

She landed just outside the house a moment later, her eyes roaming over the decrepit yard just in front of the home. Two of the three windows she could see from the front yard were boarded up, while the third window was cracked at the corner. The paint on the home was peeling in many places, and the lawn was overgrown with weeds and grass. Large dirt holes were prevalent throughout the yard.

From her viewpoint, most of the other homes up and down the street were in a similar state of disrepair. The houses closest to Silver Star’s seemed to be abandoned, with one missing its front door entirely. A single light flickered from just behind one of the curtains that still hung in the window before her.

Luna trotted through the ragged yard, stopping briefly to glance at a half deflated ball resting in the grass beside the door. Her ears twitched as a muffled talking drifted through the badly worn wood of the front door, perking her curiosity once more. She stepped forward, passing through the front entrance until she stood just inside.

The inside of the house was much better than the outside, but was still what one would classify as “rundown.” A faded couch sat against the far wall, with the blankets Trixie had been laying upon folded neatly on its cushions. A beat up coffee table sat in front of the worn couch, with broken crayons laying atop a child’s drawings. Luna bent down to glance at the drawings closer, smiling faintly as she realized how many of them had Trixie’s trademark hat present.

Voices drifted to Luna’s ears once more, leading her further into the house to what she assumed was one of the two bedrooms. The bedroom was small, barely large enough to hold the bunk beds and single bed that took up much of the room. A single bedside table was the only other piece of furniture in the bedroom, with a broken lamp sitting atop it.

Silver and her younger brother sat upon the bunk bed, with her younger sister asleep in the top bunk.

“Come on Comet! Finish up your apple and we’re going to head to bed.” Silver pleaded, pushing the last half of an apple toward her younger brother. “Dust is already asleep so eat up.”

Comet sighed, nodding tiredly as he chewed the last part of his snack before bed. He laid against Silver Star, yawning as he rubbed at his eyes jerkily. Silver wrapped a foreleg around her younger sibling, hugging him against her as she laid back with him laying beside her.

“When’s mom gonna be home?” Comet asked, eyes half lidded.

“It’ll be a few hours.. Shhh. Just go to sleep and she’ll be here when you wake up.”

“Mmkkay.” He grumbled, drifting off as Silver slipped her arm out from under him. She tucked the cover over him, smiling to herself as she grabbed the dirty bowl he had been eating from between her teeth. Silver walked into the kitchen, rearing up onto her back legs as she shoved the bowl onto the stained counter top. She pushed it further onto the counter with the tip of her nose, before dropping back onto all fours.

Silver trotted across the room, jumping onto a wobbly chair that sat in front of their dining table. She lifted her head, peering at the now empty bag of apples Trixie had brought them two days ago. Silver sighed, slumping onto her haunches as she looked around the empty kitchen. She already knew that the cabinets were mostly empty, with the various odd scrap of food here and there. She rubbed her belly, ignoring the muted grumbling as she stood.

“I hope mom brings something home…” She murmured to herself, wings fluttering as she lowered herself to the kitchen floor.

As the filly stepped out of the kitchen, Luna frowned, sighing quietly to herself a moment later. She closed her eyes, ignoring the flash of light from the tip of her horn.

Luna opened her eyes, staring at the design on her covers distantly.

“I need to do something…” She trailed off, looking over at the slumbering mare beside her. “But what..? How could Celestia be okay with them living like this… Or… or maybe she doesn’t know?” She laid her head upon her hooves, ears laid back against her skull as she wrapped her tail around herself. She tossed a few different options around in her head, quickly coming to the conclusion that she would need to talk with her older, and more modern sister before making a decision.

“I’ll talk to her in the morning..”

Author's Note:

This chapter has a lot of filler, but its necessary. The next few chapters will have a big change coming Trixie's way, as well as Luna and Trixie growing much closer over the time of her recovery. Stay tuned, and make sure to leave me a comment and tell me how the stories going so much!

Also, Any theories on what happened with Trixie's parents yet? Just curious :pinkiehappy: