• Published 14th Feb 2015
  • 4,705 Views, 898 Comments

The War of Champions - Onomonopia



A last attempt to restore a world that has fallen to hate

  • ...
11
 898
 4,705

End of the End

Fire, lightning and ice tore through the air past Ryan's head as the human threw himself to the metal floor to avoid three separate spells that each would have torn him in two had one of them connected. Yet, even as he rolled behind a number of computers to protect himself from the continuing onslaught of spells, he was vaguely aware that Star-Swirl was hardly even trying at this point.

"Come on, that all you've got? Fluttershy put up more of a fight than you!" Ryan taunted from behind the computers as he slipped out one of his explosive spheres. "I came all the way across multiple realities to fight you, so the least you can do is make it...entertaining!" Ryan rolled out from behind his cover and hurled the sphere at Star-Swirl, yet his smile was smacked off his face when the unicorn caught the sphere and crushed it into nothing with his magic.

"Entertaining? You are an annoyance, nothing more," Star-Swirl said in a slightly bored voice as he grabbed hold of Ryan's coat with his magic before hurling the human across the room, slamming him into the metal walls before releasing him and allowing Ryan to collapse to the ground. "That goes double for that silver fool who is resting in your bag. There was a time when I believed you to be the greatest threat to my plans, mare, but now I see that you are just as useless as this human."

"Hey! I'm the only one that gets to insult the mare!" Ryan snarled as he lunged at Star-Swirl while drawing his divine baton at the same time. Star-Swirl scowled while he let loose an almighty bolt of magic, but to his moderate surprise Ryan managed to swat the spell to the side with his baton before he tackled the pony to the ground. Ryan smiled wickedly when he thought that he had the upper hand, but that notion was destroyed a moment later when Star-Swirl slammed his back hooves into Ryan's chest and kicked the human right off.

"Do you see now just how pathetic you are?" Star-Swirl asked Ryan when the human rolled to avoid breaking anything upon his landing, snarling as he slowly began to circle Star-Swirl. "Even without my magic, I am still physically strong enough to defeat you. Beings like you, beings without magic, should join the rest of this world and be...destroyed!" As he said this a torrent of black magic erupted from his horn, tearing apart the air as it clawed its way towards Ryan. The human would have been blasted into nothingness if not for a stream of silver that erupted from his bag to intercept the impact, canceling the magic out.

"Hmm, so the mare still retains some of her power," Star-Swirl said in more of an annoyed tone than actual concern. "But it will only prolong the inevitable."

"Yeah, if she hadn't interfered I would have kicked your head clean off!" Ryan taunted as he rolled under the second shot of darkness and drove one of his boots into the jaw of Star-Swirl, getting a growl out of the unicorn as he staggered back while erecting a barrier of darkness to protect himself. Yet the barrier shattered with ease when Ryan slammed his baton against the side of it, cracking open a hole that allowed the human to continue the fight.

"And stronger than me? All the damned ponies I fought were stronger than me!" Ryan informed Star-Swirl as he dodged a point blank spell before retaliating with a boot to the head. "You think just because you have some godly magic or muscles on top of muscles that you can keep me down for the count?! I'm not called 'the survivor' for nothing!"

To cement his point, he wrapped his legs around Star-Swirl's throat and flipped the pony head over hooves right into the metal floor before, with his legs still wrapped around Star-Swirl's throat, he jammed the baton into his own leg and flipped it on. Both combatants roared as the electricity coursed through the both of them, yet the silver mare used as much of her power as she could muster to shield Ryan as best she could. After nearly a minute of shock therapy, Ryan switched the baton off and both he and the Bearded collapsed to the ground, each struggling to gain the advantage over the other.

"Hah...nothing like...ten thousand volts...to get the blood pumping," Ryan shakily laughed as he reached his feet first, where he dragged himself towards Star-Swirl, who was still trying to get up. "What's...the matter? You look shocked at this development. Almost like, a bolt of lightning struck you down. Got a...tingly feeling in your-?" Star-Swirl roared in rage and blasted Ryan in the chest with a force spell, knocking him off of his feet and throwing him across the room, where he crashed to the floor with a groan.

"Okay. I deserved that one," Ryan admitted. Star-Swirl snarled at the human as he finally rose to his hooves, but all of his anger gave way to surprise when he looked at one of the screens around him to see that Hulk had defeated Doomsday and that Captain Marvel was managing to overpower Hyperion. His face fell for a moment before a wicked smile that would have made Ryan proud spread across his face.

"Well, well, consider yourself lucky, human. And you too, I suppose, mare, for you two are about to bear witness to the end of this and all the other worlds," Star- Swirl said with a chuckle as he walked over to a console and raised a hoof to press down on a red button.

"FUCKNOYOUDON'T!" Ryan yelled as the baton sailed across the room on a perfect arc that allowed it to crack Star-Swirl in the side of his head, getting him to roar in pain as he staggered away from the console. Ryan tackled the pony to the floor a moment later to keep him away from the console, where he began to throw haymakers into Star-Swirl's face. "Come on pony, you didn't think it would be that easy, did you?" Ryan asked as his knuckles popped when he slammed them into the side of Star's skull. Yet a moment later, the pony's eyes were filled with darkness that made Ryan regret his words before a torrent of magic blasted Ryan off of the pony and hurled him into the ceiling, off of which he bounced before crashing onto one of the consoles back first.

"That hurt," Ryan groaned before a second blast of magic caught him in the side and threw him into the wall once again. "So did that." Star-Swirl shook his head while he rose to his hooves, walking over to the button once again with one last scornful look at Ryan.

"Pest. Now then, where was I? Ah yes, the end of-" He roared with frustration as a whip of silver magic wrapped itself around his neck and hurled him to the side, where he caught himself in the air with his own magic while also narrowing his eyes at who had thrown him. "Mare. Still meddling?"

'I will not allow you to win! I care too much for all the ponies to see them die!' The silver mare roared as she shot towards Star-Swirl, yet in the next moment a blast of darkness caught her in the chest and hurled her across the floor, where she gasped in pain as her body lost more and more of its form.

"Fool. The power of creation cannot be used as a weapon. The darkness of destruction will always be superior in that aspect," Star-Swirl smirked before sending tendrils towards the mare that wrapped themselves around her, covering her body in darkness save for her head. He then lifted the mare into the air with a smirk upon his face, before that smirk turned into a sinister smile as he compressed all of the dark magic into the mare. She let out a silent scream as her form shattered and when Star-Swirl released the darkness, a badly fractured silver sphere fell to the floor, barely shining with any light. "And with this, creation shall be destroyed," Star-Swirl said as he walked towards the mare, lifting a hoof over the sphere with a smirk. "And darkness shall reign supreme."

"Mother fucker!" Ryan snarled as he slammed into the side of Star-Swirl, hurling the both of them into a number of screens as the human began to punch, kick and claw at the pony, just wanting to inflict as much pain on him as he could. An elbow to the jaw and a headbutt to the skull drew blood from Star-Swirl, but Ryan was far too infuriated to notice that the blood was pure black. "You want death? You want destruction! Well then, let's see how much you like it when you are the one faced with such a fate!" As he said this he wrapped his hands around Star-Swirl's throat, where he began to constrict with all of his might.

Star struggled as best he could, kicking Ryan with his hooves while also trying to use his magic to get the human off of him, but Ryan refused to let up an inch as he glared down at Star-Swirl with murder in his eyes. Yet, to Ryan's shock, a smile crossed Star-Swirl's face before he closed his eyes and leaned back. 'The hell is he up to?' Ryan wondered as he felt the life leaving the pony. 'He's dead! He's beaten! He's-' Ryan howled with pain as a dark spike impaled itself through his shoulder, forcing him to release his grip while he staggered backwards and clawed at the spike in an attempt to pull it out.

"You almost killed me there," Star-Swirl informed Ryan as he grabbed hold of the spike with his magic. "Allow me to return the favor!" He tore the spike out of Ryan's shoulder as he said this, before turning the spike over with his magic and smacking it against the side of Ryan's head. Star-Swirl then grabbed the human's head with his magic and drove it into the metal floor. Ryan groaned as he started to push himself up, but the magical fingers wrapped themselves around his skull once again and he was driven face-first into the floor. Star-Swirl then grasped Ryan's head one last time before hurling it to the deck of the machine, where a sickening crack could be heard as the human went limp. Star-Swirl panted heavily as a pool of blood began to seep from Ryan's skull before he turned back towards his console that housed the red button.

"For today shall be a day unlike any other," Star-Swirl said with a smile on his face as he lifted his hoof and pressed down on the button, which caused the machine in the center to begin to take in more darkness. Star smiled before his horn began to glow with a menacing light, a light that he turned towards the ponies that were fighting in the streets all across Canterlot. "For today is the day that you are all rewarded for your services. And that reward is...to fuel destruction!"

A wave of darkness erupted from his horn and torn itself across the land, spreading farther and farther as Star-Swirl began to laugh, cackling with both victory and glee. 'The champions are not whole, the mare and her pet are dead and the monster of destruction shall only become stronger! Today is the end. The end of days!'

S=H=A=Z=A=M

Lightning coursed through Hyperion's skull as Marvel grabbed hold of the false hero's head and tried to shock some sense into him, but all Marvel's efforts gained him was a kick in the gut that sent the champion hurtling backwards. Hyperion shook off the lightning before growling at Marvel, who still had a smirk on his face despite neither warrior being able to gain the upper hand.

"You are an annoying, infernal brat," Hyperion snarled with rage.

"Now you're starting to sound like the Black Adam I know and hated," Captain Marvel replied with sarcasm before stretching one of his arms. "Why don't you just give up? If Star-Swirl told you everything about us, then you should know that I'm not using my full power. I've still got the champion's power in case you try anything funny." To Marvel's surprise, informing Hyperion of the fact that he had more power caused the gold and red warrior to laugh before he smiled at Marvel menacingly.

"You are not the only one with incredible power, Marvel. Allow me to show you," Hyperion snarled as he reached into his belt and drew forth a tiny, black sphere that made Captain Marvel's eyes go wide. "That's right, Star-Swirl was kind enough to give each of us a small amount of his power. And now, the signal has been given, telling all of us that it is time to-"

Before Hyperion could finish, the darkness in the sphere lanced out and rapidly started to consume Hyperion's arm. The false hero screamed with rage and fear as the darkness quickly began to consume him, blasting at it with his heat vision to no avail. Captain Marvel hurled himself towards Hyperion and tried to tear the darkness off of him, but the moment he touched the darkness divine magic pushed Marvel back. Before Captain Marvel could try again the darkness fully consumed Hyperion, causing him to disintegrate into blackness, a blackness that quickly vanished in the direction of Canterlot.

"What...just happened? Why did the darkness kill Hyperion?" Marvel whispered.

S=H=A=Z=A=M

Batmare swore as she kicked one of the fanatics off of her chest, making sure to then kick him in the head twice as hard to keep him down. She had barely enough time to register that her foe had gone down before another pony tackled her from behind, driving a magic dagger down at her throat and forcing her to deflect the dagger with her armor to prevent herself from being stabbed. Yet before the pony could strike again, the roar of a Big Daddy and the even louder roar of a drill could be heard, and the unicorn on top of Batmare vanished in a spray of blood.

"Ugh, thanks for the save Mr. B, but I wish you wouldn't be so lethal in your methods," Batmare said as Bubbles helped pull her to her hooves, letting out a battle cry when they found that they had been surrounded in a matter of seconds. The End of Days members all roared as they charged at the two, but in a flash, torrents of green fire blew away all cloaked ponies, giving Bubbles and Batmare the chance to turn to see Spike and Trixie landing beside them.

"They are a devoted group of zealots, I'll give them that," Trixie growled as she blasted a pair of unicorns with her magic. "But it seems that even their great numbers aren't enough to defeat us."

"Well, wait until we've beaten them before you go saying things like that," Batmare muttered as hundreds of cloaked ponies started to surround them again. "Alright, here's what we're going to do. Trixie, I want you and Bubbles to draw their fire. Spike and I will take to the skies and-"

Batmare never got to finish her plan because all eyes and thoughts were drawn away from the battle by a giant wave of darkness that washed over all of the beings on the battlefield. Both sides looked down as the darkness enveloped them, but when the darkness struck Batmare, Trixie and Bubbles, divine light enveloped them and they took on their divine forms, blasting away the darkness that had touched them. The others were not as fortunate.

"W-what's happening to me?!" one of the unicorns screamed before he exploded into a mass of darkness, which floated before the others for a moment before it was drawn away to the machine that rested upon the turret. All eyes were filled with fear and the End of Days all began to scream since one by one, and then hundreds by hundreds, they all began to vanish into darkness that was quickly drawn to the machine up on the turret.

"What's happening to them?" Trixie asked with revulsion in her voice while she watched a group of unicorns explode into darkness.

"If I had to wager a guess," Batmare began as she followed where the torrents of darkness were going, watching while they were all sucked into the turret. Her detective vision then informed her that the beam of darkness that was being shot into the being of destruction off in the distance had increased its power nearly a thousand fold, confirming her suspicions. "I'd say that they just added more fuel to the fire."

"So...the only reason we didn't end up like...that is because of our Elements?" Trixie asked as he looked up at her tiara, before her eyes went wide and she spun around to face Spike...who was already halfway gone. "Oh Faust...Spike!" Batmare and Bubbles spun to see what was happening to him, the latter letting out a roar of pain as he raced over to Spike. Bubbles tried to tear his own Element off of his shoulder, but it refused to budge, turning the Daddy's eyes a crimson red.

"Great, now I'm going to die," Spike bitterly said before he turned his eyes towards the three with burning determination in them. "It doesn't matter. If what Batmare said is true and Star-Swirl is using us to fuel the monster, then he must be about to end our world. You can't let that happen! I don't care if I die, as long as my world is saved! Promise me!" Before any of them could promise the dragon that they would, he vanished in an explosion of darkness that was sucked towards the machine just like the rest of the darkness.

Batmare looked around to see that the streets, which only seconds ago had been filled with ponies, were now deserted and silent, save for the sorrowful wails of the Big Daddy. All those lives, even if they had been fanatics, were now gone, along with one of their allies. The Bat's eyes narrowed as she glared up at the machine, hoping that she would get to hurt Star-Swirl before this day was done.

"Batmare?" Trixie asked, snapping Batmare out of her thoughts and redirecting them towards the monster of darkness, which was now towering over the city. "What do we do about that?"

"We do what we were brought here to do," Batmare snarled as she took up a fighting stance, preparing to fight. "We bring an end to the end of the world. Where's Billy and Banner? We could use both of them right about-" As if summoned by her words, a flash of lightning tore across the sky and struck the monster in its back, causing it to howl with rage as an Element-fueled bolt of lightning tore through its form.

"Wait a moment, don't tell me what happened to Hyperion happened here too?" Captain Marvel asked as he slammed into the ground next to the others, the silver and gold upon his body, along with the crown, telling the others that the wave of darkness had reached where he had been.

"If Hyperion vanished into a cloud of darkness that was sucked towards that turret, then yes, that is what happened to the End of Day's forces along with...Spike," Batmare informed the Captain, who seemed devastated for a moment before a look of rage that could make gods cower crossed his face as he glared up at the monster above them.

Yet, Marvel's rage was quickly forgotten as a roar of fury far superior to his own could be heard, and a moment later a massive silver beast slammed into the city, shaking it to the core while the Hulk pulled himself out of the crater he made before he marched towards the others.

"Doomsday's been dealt with, but if what I sensed was true, then it seems that not much was accomplished by stopping him," Hulk informed them before he followed their gazes towards the monster of destruction, but a moment later he turned his head towards the turret. "I hope I'm wrong and that this 'feel' is just because I don't know how to use this Element yet, but do any of you feel either Ryan or the mare?"

All eyes turned towards the turret, yet all the extra set of senses did was confirm the fears that the Hulk had. He shook his head for a moment before they all realized that everything had grown incredibly dark, with the five of them being the only source of light in nearly all the land. They all turned their eyes skyward to see that the monster of destruction had spread its wings across the land, stretching them out for miles upon miles as it gazed down at the five of them, hate raging in its massive red eyes.

"So then...is it final battle time?" Captain Marvel asked the rest of the group as each of them prepared to wage war with the being of destruction above them. "Question is, do we tackle this thing as a team or do we send one of us to go check up on Star-Swirl and put an end to that?"

"We're already down a member Billy. We're going to need as much firepower as we can get if we hope to stand a chance against that thing," Batmare ordered them before she quickly turned her head to look back at the others. "Look, just in case we all don't make it out of this alive...or we don't make it out of this at all, I just want to say that it's been an honor serving with each and every one of you. Be you misfit, monster, god or dead resurrected, I'd glad to give my life for each of you."

"Heh, don't talk like we're already dead," Hulk smirked as he cracked his knuckles. "Things might look impossible, but you've got to remember that each of us fights the impossible on a regular basis. So, instead of thinking of this as the 'be-all end-all' battle that will decide the fate of a world, instead think of this like another day at the office, except there's no longer any civilians that we got to worry about. Just hit that thing as hard as you can."

"That's the kind of answer I'd expect from you, Hulk--smash first and ask questions later," Marvel said with a smirk while he reached behind his head and flipped his hood up. "But there will be civilian casualties if we don't stop this thing here and now--like all of the multiverse. And I know there are ponies out in that multiverse that I really care about, so there's no way in hell I'm letting that thing win."

"You think that you have others you care about? I need to win this so I can get back to my daughter," Trixie said with a smile as she reminded herself what she was fighting for. "And the rest of my family."

"Same," Batmare said with as little emotion as she could, not wanting it to distract her from her mission. And all that left was Bubbles, who let out a kind moan as he looked around at each of them before bellowing with fury when he looked up to face the being of destruction, which was now floating right above them with maw open and eyes burning.

"Alright team, this is the final mission," Batmare informed them as they each took up a fighting stance, using the combined might of the Elements to let loose a light that would be seen all across the world, letting all know that there were still those who were fighting this fight. "And that mission is to be completed no matter the cost, be it your life or your very existence. If you want to back out, do it now...heh, I expected as much. Alright then, AVENGERS-!"

"Justice League," Captain Marvel corrected with a smirk, getting Batmare and Hulk to roll their eyes.

"Fine then...JUSTICE LEAGUE!" she roared before she and the other four hurled themselves up at the monster, which fully opened its maw as it unleashed an endless amounts of darkness onto the group. Yet despite the darkness that could wipe out a planet, the five chosen champions still hurled themselves at the monster, protected by the Elements of old.

"TO BATTLE!"