• Published 14th Feb 2015
  • 4,702 Views, 898 Comments

The War of Champions - Onomonopia



A last attempt to restore a world that has fallen to hate

  • ...
11
 898
 4,702

Superman

Batmare sighed slightly when she walked out of the room where Billy was sitting by himself, wondering why he seemed so down. He hadn't said a word since they had returned from deactivating the tower the previous day, and his silent streak continued into the morning.

'I just hope that whatever it is, we can help him get over it before he is needed to fight Adam again, because after seeing that monster up close I do not believe any of us aside from Billy can stop him,' Batmare said with a shake of her cowled head as she reached the room where the six slept, pushing open the doors and walking within to find that her azure friend was still fast asleep on her bed, despite it being almost noon.

'Jeez, Batman would have kicked me into the pool if he caught me sleeping in this late,' Batmare thought with a smile while she walked over to her bed, taking off her cowl as her face began to fall. 'I wonder if I should just leave it alone...but I feel that I need to talk to her about it,' Scootaloo thought to herself as she looked over at Trixie, not happy with the revelation she had realized the previous day. With her cowl removed, she walked over to Trixie and poked her twice in the shoulder, waking the pony up a moment later.

"Ugh, the one time that I get to sleep peacefully and one of you creatures of the night has to go and wake me up," Trixie groggily grumbled while she turned over and covered herself up. "Wake me in the morning, you darn bat. Not all of us are nocturnal."

"It's noon."

Trixie was up a few moments later, letting out a yawn as she grabbed hold of her cape and slid it over her shoulders. She flashed a smile at Scootaloo, but despite the mare hiding her thoughts the way Batman had taught her, Trixie saw through the mask in a second. "Scootaloo, what's the matter? And don't say it's nothing. I'm married to Sombra, one of the greatest liars of all time. What's wrong?"

"Billy's upset and I don't know why," Scootaloo admitted, getting Trixie to raise an eyebrow in response with a skeptical look. "Ever since we got back from the tower he's been alone, lost in thought. I've even caught him in his Captain form a few times today. I don't know what's up."

"While that is indeed interesting, I believe I said no lying to me," Trixie said again, this time in a much firmer voice. "Scootaloo, please tell me what is actually on your mind?" Scootaloo sighed as she sat down on her bed and stared up at the ceiling, taking a moment to collect herself before speaking.

"So what did you name it?" Trixie's eyes went wide with shock and her mouth half-opened as she prepared to ask how Scootaloo knew, then a smirk crossed her face when she sat down on her bed again.

"Daughter of the world's greatest detective. I should have known you'd figure it out, but for one who isn't so good at detective work, please explain how."

"The bags under your eyes. You perking up at the crying foals. It wasn't that hard," Scootaloo said with a shrug as she looked at her friend again. "So, is it a he or a she?"

"It's a she. I had her about a month ago," Trixie said with a sad smile while her eyes became very distant. "She's so beautiful. She has a dark blue version of Sombra's coat and she has my mane, but on her coat she has all of these little blue and white dots, making her look like the stars in the sky. Not to mention her bright purple eyes are always filled with curiosity, so I think she'll be a scholar. Sombra wanted to name her Umbra, but since we all decided that was stupid, we decided on the name 'Starlight'. Starshine was really happy with the name and the fact that he has a sister now, and Sombra...while he'll do his damnedest to never show emotion, I saw tears when he held her for the first time. I wish you could have met her before this whole thing started up, but maybe once we get back..."

Trixie cast a glance at Scootaloo to see that she wore an emotionless face again, looking down at her hooves as she seemed lost in thought. Despite the training, once again Trixie seemed to be able to read her mind and a frown crossed Trixie's face as she deduced what her friend was thinking. "I'm still going to help you fight, Scootaloo. This doesn't change anything."

"But it does. You...have a family. You're a mother now," Scootaloo said in a serious tone, one that Trixie hadn't heard since the Batman. "You shouldn't be here, you should be back home taking care of her! This...this war that we are in is far too dangerous for you! With the foes we are facing, any of us could die at any time! What would happen to your filly if you died before she even got the chance to know you?!"

"Then, she would be told that her mother died fighting against injustice and to protect them all," Trixie said in such a dark tone that Scootaloo stopped talking. "You do not need to remind me what is at stake; I have wrestled with that thought every night. But I spent most of my life being hated and an outcast. I do not want to leave my daughter without her mother, but if I am not here, then we will be without a champion who can fight destruction. And unless we all work together, then according to Ryan, none of our worlds will be safe...and I will not abandon you when you need me, just as you didn't abandon me when I needed you."

Scootaloo said nothing for the longest of moments, looking down at her hooves while she mulled over what she was about to say. Yet she decided that words wouldn't be enough, so Scootaloo stood up and walked over to Trixie, pulling her friend into a hug with a smile. "Thank you. But I promise that nothing will happen to you so long as I stand. I will get you out of this alive, so that your daughter can see what an awesome mom you are."

Scootaloo felt Trixie return the hug and for a moment the two of them comforted each other. Then Scootaloo caught movement out of the corner of her eyes, by the door, and for a brief moment she believed that she saw a person with a hood. But they were gone so quickly she wasn't sure if someone had indeed been there. 'But if they were, I know who it was.'

S=H=A=Z=A=M

"I'm just saying that if we were to attack this tower tomorrow, no one, not even Black Adam, would see it coming," Bruce argued with Luna while the two of them each moved around different forces and buildings upon the magical table that projected images of the two sides. "Trixie and I can handle this tower ourselves, while Marvel and the others run interference. As long as Black Adam isn't there..."

"That is an awfully big IF, Doctor Banner," Luna snarled back with a look of frustration. "We have received reports that Black Adam discovered one of our outposts that was supposed to be just as well protected as our base, yet the place was leveled and we have no idea what happened to the ponies there. Black Adam has a nasty habit of being where he shouldn't, so I believe this is too big a risk."

"Not to mention we still don't know that much about any of the Judges, which only adds to the risk," Ryan chimed in thoughtfully, actually being helpful due to a good night's sleep. He waved his left hand and brought up the images of the six, aside from the one that was always cloaked. "We don't know what the Trixie of this world is capable of, and Billy said that Spike is far stronger than the one he knew. That's bad. Not to mention Doroca is a zebra, so he'll be nothing but trouble."

"I don't care what they can do, none of them, aside from Adam, is enough to handle the Hulk," Banner said with certainty, waving away the images of the six before bringing up the Spire that was located in the Dragon Kingdom. "And if what you told me about Adam and the dragons is true, then we will need the Hulk's strength in dealing with them. However, unless one of them is named Fin Fang Foom, we shouldn't have too much trouble with the dragons." Banner expected Ryan to get the reference, but the human gave him a questioning glare, causing Banner to sigh and decided to stop trying.

"Of course, none of this plan matters at the moment because Billy isn't in the right mental state to be fighting Adam." The three turned to see Trixie walk into the room with Batmare at her side, the two of them looking like they had just come from a long talk. "And if he's not at one hundred percent, then I don't feel comfortable sending him to fight Adam."

"Well then, we'd better snap him out of whatever funk he's in, because if he doesn't fight Adam then odds are you'll send me to," Ryan smirked while he and the others stood up, all of them (aside from Luna) heading to where Billy was. Batmare led them to an empty room where Billy sat alone, staring off into Neverland. "It's worse than I thought. He's caught the stupid. I remember when I caught it, it was horrible."

"Guess they never cured you then," Trixie snarked at Ryan while Banner knelt down next to Billy, gently placing a hand on his shoulder that snapped him out of his trance.

"Oh, hey guys, we got a mission?" Billy asked as the fog seemed to lift from his eyes as he rose to his feet, preparing to speak the word before Banner placed a hand on his shoulder to stop him.

"Batmare told us that you seemed to be a bit out of it and, as your caring teammates, we came to tell you to snap out of it so you can go fight a god," Ryan informed Billy.

"Billy, what's the matter?" Banner asked. Billy took a moment before he answered.

"I've been thinking about the other day, when Bat's and I took down that tower," Billy began as his eyes took on the 'thousand yard stare' again. "Not so much the tower itself, but how all of the pegasi there seemed to...admire me when I disguised myself as Black Adam. They admired the murderer, Banner, and that's what has me confused. What spell or lies did he cast on them so they would see him as anything other than the villain that he is?"

'Perhaps that is where...I can...help you,' a mysterious, but very familiar, voice spoke out amongst the group.

"Oh dear God, she's back," Ryan groaned while he dragged his fingers down his face as a silver light began to shine from his backpack, informing the group that the silver mare was with them. "Screw off mare, I've finally managed to get a handle on most of the voices in my head and then you show back up to remind me of the hell I went through."

'I am sorry to open old wounds, but I have been listening in and I believe I can give Billy a glimpse of why Black Adam...Teth...is so admired,' the silver mare's voice said to each of them. 'All I need is the assistance of Trixie and Batmare and I believe we shall be able to help you, young Batson.'

S=H=A=Z=A=M

Hundreds of pegasi gathered around the cloudy streets of Cloudsdale, each of them murmuring excitedly to one another while they awaited the arrival of the champion. Near the back of the large crowd was an orange Pegasus with a purple mane wearing a large hat, covering her eyes as they glanced around for any sign of danger. Beside her was a red colt that reached her shoulders in height, but was slightly taller when his wings extended fully.

"You know, I always thought I'd be a unicorn, considering how I get my powers from magic and everything," Billy whispered to Scootaloo as he flapped his wings with a smirk. "Although I have to admit that a Pegasus isn't that bad either. Think the combining of the magics of the mare and Trixie will be enough to throw Black Adam off the trail?"

"If not, we'll get to see what a ponyfied Captain Marvel looks like," Scootaloo responded before the crowd let out a loud gasp, getting the two to gaze upward along with all of the other pegasi as a figure in black and gold descended onto the stage that had been set up for him. Billy went to say the word immediately upon spotting him, but Scootaloo placed a hoof on his chest with a shake of her head. 'This had better be worth it, mare. I do not like risking Billy's life like this.'

'Out of everypony here, he is actually the safest from Adam's power,' the mare reminded Scootaloo in the back of her mind. The crowd had begun to cheer at the arrival of Black Adam, but he held up a hand to silence them instantly. He gazed across the crowd with narrowed eyes, Scootaloo feeling her heart go cold when he turned his gaze towards the two of them, and she knew that Billy's word was on the tip of his tongue. But the disguise held and Black Adam cleared his throat to begin speaking.

"Ponies of Cloudsdale, just the other day you bared witness to two of the false champions that aid Luna and her rebellion against Queen Celestia. The two of them are known as Batmare and Captain Marvel." The crowd began to angrily boo at the names of the two, causing Billy to hang his head slightly at the jeers. Black Adam raised his hand again, and again the crowd fell silent, waiting for him to speak.

"While they may not be of this land, they are all still extremely dangerous. As you saw yesterday, they are more than capable of handling the Royal Guard and even some of the Judges. That is why I ask all of you that, if you believe that you see or know of where any of them are, that you do NOT engage them yourselves. Report the information to the Royal Guard or a Judge and then they will report that information to me. And I shall deal with them myself. Those who aid the champions, however...let us say that the consequences will be severe."

"In don't know why the mare wanted me to see this," Billy growled under his breath. "He's still the same old Adam. Kneel at his feet or be crushed by his boot. All I want to do now is say something to him, something that I know he wouldn't like." Black Adam finished speaking and made to fly off, making Billy debate whether or not to bring down the lightning then and there, but before he could a foal burst up onto the stage, getting Adam to turn to look at him.

"Mr. Adam...can I...please have your autograph!" the small colt yelled out, holding out a small notebook with nervous eyes. Black Adam looked down at the small colt for a moment before a small smile broke out across his face. He floated over to the colt and picked up both him and the notebook, lifting one finger and electrifying it. He then pointed at the book and a small stream of lightning lanced from his finger, writing his name in golden magic. The colt looked at him with eyes that were filled with both awe and gratitude as Adam descended into the crowd, holding the colt up slightly.

"Alright, who does this little one belong to?" he asked, getting the ponies to chuckle while the mother ran up. Black Adam gently placed the Pegasus on the ground, where the young one gazed up at Adam again with admiration before his mother grabbed him by the ear and dragged him back, apologizing to Adam while scolding her son. "Does anypony else wish to ask me for a favor before I head back to Canterlot?"

"Please...heal my baby!" Both Adam and Billy turned to the voice, both of them spotting a pegasi holding up a small foal that looked ill. Black Adam said nothing while he floated over to the foal, gently taking it into his hands as his eyes glanced over it with a frown. He then placed a hand upon its head and began to mutter words filled with magic under his breath. The crowd both gasped and backed away from him a bit as a golden light surrounded the small foal, bathing it with the magic of a god. A moment later the light died down, revealing a smiling foal that giggled up at Adam.

"I believe that this little one is yours?" Adam asked with a smile and handed the foal back to the mother, who took the foal from him and held it close, thanking Adam in between her sobs. The crowd then began to cheer for Adam as he raised a hand, humbly accepting their praise as more and more of them began to ask for favors.

"Fix my leg!"

"Please stop it from raining tomorrow!"

"MARRY ME!"

Scootaloo snuck a quick look at Billy to find that he had a completely blank expression on his face, yet he looked at Adam like he was looking at the god for the first time in his life.

"This...is Black Adam?" Billy whispered to himself while Black Adam held out a hand to keep the Pegasus that wanted to marry him back, a smirk on his face as the crowd laughed at the scene. "The man who wiped out a nation for revenge? The man who wanted to kill me to take my powers? This...is who I have to fight?" Scootaloo could say nothing in reply because this was her first time seeing Adam outside of combat, but with all of the horror stories that Luna and Billy had told her, the last thing she had expected Adam to do was act like a...

'Hero,' she thought to herself as Adam took to the skies, creating an electrical sphere that exploded above the town, causing strange and magical creatures made of lightning to zip around to the amazement of the crowd. But her confusion was nothing compared to the conflict that Billy felt tearing into his heart while he looked around at all of the smiling faces of the crowd, still trying to accept that his mortal foe was the cause of so much joy.

'Banner was right. This...isn't the Adam that I know,' Billy thought to himself as he looked up into the sky at Black Adam. Black Adam looked down at the crowd with a smile while his eyes looked at each and every one of them before they came to a stop on the small, red Pegasus. The two of them gazed into each others eyes for a second, neither of them seeing what they were expecting. Black Adam saw confusion, the confusion that came with someone having a belief shattered. Billy saw compassion and strength, the strength of a hero.

'Do you see now, Billy? While he may be a god of evil in your world, here...he is a champion to these ponies. He is a savior that fought off the worst of evils while overcoming the evil that he once was. To them...he is Superman.' And despite how disturbing that thought was to Billy, as he looked around at all of the smiling faces he found that he couldn't disagree.

S=H=A=Z=A=M

Lights flashed and smoke erupted as the mad pony threw different potions together within a vat, quickly checking upon his work before he dashed across the steel room in which his laboratory was stationed. He grabbed hold of a cylinder and began to tinker with it, cackling to himself as all of the little pieces clipped into place before he shot over to a book of spells. He glanced down quickly at the recipe for a separation spell, memorizing the next six steps before he was at his cauldron, adding more potions to the mixture.

'I may not like working with magic since science is far superior, but even I cannot deny that the Hulk's resistance will make anything radiation-related futile,' Tinker thought to himself while he picked up his cylinder again before racing to the cauldron, hurling in another mixture of potions before dipping the cylinder within the brew. He cackled once again as he pulled out the device that he had crafted, holding it within his hooves like it was a precious child.

'It took three days of straight work and a constant amount of sucking up to Adam for a tiny bit of his magic, but finally my weapon is ready,' Tinker thought before in another burst of speed his red eye was gazing at a map of the entirety of Equis, with the four remaining towers marked upon his map. 'If I've deduced the abilities of the champions correctly, then the one that is most likely for the Hulk to attack with be the one in the Dragon Kingdom. I shall send spies there to make sure that I catch him if he does appear. After all,' Tinker began as he looked down at his table, where an apple had been fused together with an orange. He dipped the cylinder towards the apple-orange, letting just a drop of the magic brew within touch the fruit. A smile spread across his face as a flash of light went off and the apple and orange were separate once again.

'He is my experiment.'