• Published 14th Feb 2015
  • 4,703 Views, 898 Comments

The War of Champions - Onomonopia



A last attempt to restore a world that has fallen to hate

  • ...
11
 898
 4,703

A Better Tomorrow

Despite having fought the End of all things in a battle that had shaken the entire planet to the core, the six champions managed to repair most of the damage done with their combined powers in a manner of days. What they could not repair, however, were the lives lost or those who had been consumed by the darkness due to Star-Swirl's machine, a fact that caused Mr. Bubbles a good deal of pain.

But despite the repairs to the land being achieved in a few days with the power of Harmony, word of what happened spread even faster than that, because all manner of beings learned what the six champions had done. Word had also spread about the cloaked unicorns, and Celestia and Luna, working together, had informed the land about the End of Days and how they had been the ones responsible for driving the rulers apart--and for most of the hardships that had plagued the land.

"At least it's finally over now," Luna said to the six champions, all of them standing in the science wing where Celestia used to keep the Phantom Zone generator. Now, it was instead home to what was left of the machine that Star-Swirl had used to power the End to incredible heights. "I will still need to give a proper explanation to my forces about what happened, but for now they are content knowing that the war is over."

"I am just amazed that the casualties were...not as bad as they could have been," Batmare said with as much positive light as she could muster, yet from the faces of her allies she could tell that they weren't thinking along the same lines. "Most of the casualties came from the other side when Star-Swirl fed his forces to the machine. Heck, we only really...lost two."

"Yes, but now Celestia is heartbroken again," Adam said softly as he looked at the remains of the machine that had taken both Ryan and Sunnysmile's lives. "To finally have her daughter back...only to lose her again...I doubt that she will be fit to rule for a long while."

"Yeah, can't say I blame her," Banner said with a sigh before he looked around at the other champions and Luna. "So...what do we do now?" he asked, finally putting out the question that all of the other members had been thinking. "Is this it? We've saved the day, beat the bad guy; so now do we just...go back to our own realities?" His mind was on his own version of Equestria. "Hell, can we even go back without the silver mare?"

"We created a machine that allowed me to transport through reality. It will get all of you home," Adam informed the five before looking off into the distance, frowning slightly as sorrow filled his eyes. "Continue on without me, I must go check up on something." The one-armed god flew out of the room and vanished with a rumble of thunder, leaving the others to share looks of concern.

"I'll go after him," Billy said, calling down the word before flying off to where Adam had been heading.

"To answer your question, Banner, I guess that, yes we do just go home now," Batmare said as she brought the conversation back on track. "I mean, what else could we do here? We've stopped the war, brought the princesses back together and stopped the End and Star-Swirl. What more can we do?"

"We may have stopped the war, but there are still wounds caused by over five years of fighting that won't go away just because peace is restored," Trixie added, having dealt with wounds that never healed. "And the ponies will look to their heroes to help them in this time of confusion and anger. So, shouldn't we be there for them?"

"But what about our own lives?" Banner put forward as he sunk his head onto his chest. "We've still got our own world to return to, our own realities to protect. I know that Trixie got into contact with her family, but what about the rest of ours? Do they even know we're still alive? We've been in this world over a month now without any way to communicate with those we care about. Shouldn't we get home and show them that we're all still alive?"

"Yes." The four turned to look at Luna, who had her head hung low. "I know what it is like to be separated from your family for long periods of time, wondering if they are alright or even still alive. And even in my enraged state, I still missed the day when Celestia and I could play and talk like we used to." Luna then turned to face the four at this point, a sad smile on her face. "Leave restoring the ponies to me and my sister...and possibly Adam, if he does not leave us." The words came as a shock to the four and were not lost on Luna, who could read what they were all thinking based on their faces.

"You all saw it for yourselves. Adam is a changed man now. A man who strives to be the hero that all the ponies believe him to be. And that is why I have a feeling that he will not be with us much longer," Luna said sadly as she turned towards where he and Captain Marvel had flown off to. "If I'm not mistaken, he is probably saying his goodbyes right now."

S=H=A=Z=A=M

Adam descended next to Celestia in a place where he knew she would be, a place that they had both visited many a times in the past years. It was a small hill on the outskirts of Canterlot, with a single tree providing shade for the eight gravestones that rested there. There had only been one change in the last five years; now there was a small, wooden cross to symbolize where another ally had fallen. Celestia was sitting in front of one of the older gravestones, one by which Adam had spent many hours before sitting with her.

"The gods are cruel, Teth," Celestia softly whispered to her friend as he placed his hand upon her shoulder, bowing his head in respect to those who lay there, before looking down at Celestia. "I get my daughter and sister back, but end up losing my daughter in the same day. Will this curse of mine ever be lifted?"

"At the very least, she made peace with us before she died," Adam said softly, Celestia nodding her head bitterly at his words. "You raised her well, Celestia. If not for her sense of justice and her desire to help, the world as we know it would probably be gone right now."

"It was a hero's death, but that still doesn't change the fact that I want my daughter back," Celestia growled weakly, but then she turned her head to look up at Adam with eyes that had come to a decision. "When everything gets back to normal, or as normal as it can get, I will not be taking up the crown again." Adam placed his hand upon her cheek as she said this, expecting her to say something along those lines. "Luna can rule or maybe we'll create a new alicorn, but I cannot take it any more. But I sense that you have something that you wish to say to me as well?"

"...Yes. I am here...to say farewell." Celestia stepped back as if Adam had just punched her in the throat, her eyes going wide with surprise and fear as Adam turned to see Captain Marvel floating towards them, Adam's eyes remaining emotionless as the Captain landed in front of him.

"Care to tell me where you're going then?" Marvel asked Adam as he crossed his arms.

"I will...be returning to Earth--my Earth, in your custody," Adam said before speaking the magic word and returning himself to Teth Adam.

"But why?!" Celestia half-shrieked as Adam took a step towards Marvel, but Celestia grabbed hold of him with her magic and pulled him back over to her, where she wrapped her wings around Adam and glared at Marvel. "I will not let you leave as well! I have lost too much to lose you too! What will I do if you are not there to protect me...to be with me! How can I-?"

"Celestia," Adam said in one of his most serious tones, getting Celestia to snap out of her grief and look at Adam's face. She silently released him a moment later, yet she hung her head with tears falling down her face. "Before I went into the battle with the End, I promised that was the day that Black Adam died. And he did. The man who would not own up to his mistakes, who would not accept the consequences of his actions, perished in that battle. I am he no longer," Adam said as he held out his wrist to Marvel, getting the Captain to look at him with surprise.

"I have committed many an atrocity, both on this world and my Earth. It is time that I answered for my crimes. That is why I am entrusting this to you, Batson, because you are the true champion of the wizard. You will do what is right." Marvel looked down at Adam with confused eyes, before he looked over at Celestia who was doing her best to hide her pain. Marvel then lowered his head onto his chest, losing himself in thought for nearly ten minutes. When he finally did lift his head again, there was a smirk on it that confused Adam.

"You're right. Black Adam has many crimes that he needs to answer for and should answer for. But unfortunately, he died in the battle with the End and I can't exactly bring a dead man before a court," Marvel said with a smile as both Adam's and Celestia's eyes went wide as they realized what he was doing.

"Marvel...Billy...I must atone for what I have done! I must face punishment for-"

"You've lost your arm, lost your nation, lost the children you swore to protect, failed Shazam and nearly lost your whole world," Captain Marvel said with certainty in what he was deciding. "I think that you have more than paid the price for whatever actions you have committed. And even if you don't believe you did, then this is the time to redeem yourself. You said that Black Adam died? Then, now is the time to prove it. Prove to me that you can change. Prove it to all of them."

Both Adam and Celestia looked at Marvel with both shocked and touched eyes as Marvel knelt down next to Ryan's grave, gently placing his hand upon the dirt and causing a number of flowers to spring forth. "Besides, we've all lost too much for me to deal with another sad ending. Not to mention that a lot of the ponies here still depend on you and look up to you," Marvel added with a quick nod towards Celestia. "If you want to help make it up to me--what you've done--then help me and the others get home. But I'm sick of pain."

Marvel turned and ascended into the sky as he said this, leaving both an awestruck Adam and a relieved Celestia behind him. Adam then smirked for a brief moment before he leaned his head back to call down the word, but before he could, Celestia tackled him to the ground and held him tightly, making sure that she never let him go again.

S=H=A=Z=A=M

Those who were attuned to magic could feel space and time tearing apart before them, creating the portal that stood before them a moment later. Adam had taken the six champions to where he had traversed across reality, a large facility in the middle of a desert. The moment that the portal had been opened, Adam then ordered out the ponies working there so he could speak with the other champions one last time.

"I cannot thank you enough for what you have done for me and this world...nor can I ever apologize enough for what I put the six of you through due to my blindness," Adam said regretfully while he looked each of them in the eye, getting a nod from each champion in turn except for Bubbles. "But despite the harm that has been done, I am honored to have fought alongside each of you and call you all my allies."

"Huh, got to admit, it's weird not hearing a smart-ass remark after hearing something like that," Hulk pointed out with a sad sigh.

"He did what any of us would have done. He just did it better," Batmare said with a small smile before she looked back up at Adam again. "Don't think that this will be the last time you see us. We're all still connected by the power of the Elements, so if any of us are ever in danger, the other six will be there to help. No matter how far."

As she said this the portal reached its full power, showing within the swirling vortex an Equestria that looked similar to all the other ones that the six knew, but this one felt far more familiar to Billy. "Looks like this is my stop," Marvel said as he walked forward towards the portal, before stopping next to Adam and placing a hand upon his shoulder. "I'm glad that I was wrong about you, Adam. You really could be the hero that Shazam saw in you. If he were here now, I know that he would be proud of you."

"But he would be far more proud of you, Batson. You have shown time and time again why you were chosen to be the champion of magic," Adam said in reply, getting Marvel to nod.

"Well, don't be a stranger. Ever show up around my reality, stop by and say 'hello'. After all, we're family--in a twisted way."

"I would expect nothing less from us." Marvel saluted to Adam before hurling himself into the portal, vanishing out of reality in an instant. The others watched him go as Adam used his magic to adjust the portal, changing it to a world that resonated with the Hulk.

"This was fun," the jade giant said to Adam as he passed, punching him once in the shoulder and staggering the champion, getting a laugh out of Hulk. "Glad to see that the multiverse hasn't gotten soft on me since the last time I ran rampant across it. Like the kid said, you ever looking to talk, or better yet, to fight, stop by my world. Bet Twi would freak out at a being like you."

"If she is anything like mine, then I would expect nothing less." Hulk vanished into the portal a moment later with a roar, leaving Adam to once again change the coordinates through reality to an Equestria that seemed to look a bit more gothic than the others.

"This one will be ours," Batmare said as both she and Trixie stepped forward, getting Adam to raise one of his eyebrows.

"I did not know that the two of you came from the same reality."

"Well, you'd learn a lot more about us if you weren't trying to kill us every ten seconds," Trixie said with a smirk as Adam's face fell. "Also, can't say that I agree with the Hulk, as this has most certainly not been fun. Now if you'll excuse me, I have been away from my baby girl too long and I wish to cuddle with her once again."

"You...have a child?" Adam asked weakly, his heart going cold when he realized what he had almost done.

"Yup. Two of them. What, didn't know that about me?" Trixie would have gone on, but Batmare smacked her in the shoulder to get her to stop. Trixie rolled her eyes before diving into the portal, leaving Adam and Batmare.

"Look, that's all in the past now. Just be thankful that the death toll was as low as it was," Batmare said, yet Adam's face didn't change. "Got to admit though, it was interesting taking on one of the villains in my Dad's, "Do not fight" file and surviving. Ten to one he'll be pissed at me when he finds out."

"You are resourceful, cunning and every bit as annoying as Batman is. I think he will be proud of you," Adam said with a begrudging smirk.

"Aw thanks. I try my best." Batmare saluted before throwing herself into the vortex as well, leaving Adam to recalibrate it one last time as the last of the champions leaving stepped forward.

"Mr. Bubbles. I will not deny in saying that you are the strangest of the champions," Adam said to the eight eyed titan that looked at him with yellow eyes. "I never thought that a Big Daddy could be anything more than a slave, but it seems, that like me, there were no chains that could hold you down. I wish to thank you, for you were the one that revealed the truth to me...or at least, beat my skull in until I saw the truth."

Bubbles let out a moan that Adam couldn't place, before with an explosion of magic he took on his champion form once again. He then smacked Adam across the face with his drill and sent him flying across the room and through one of the walls. Adam pulled himself out of the rubble and had gotten to his feet in time to hear what sounded like laughter coming from the Big Daddy, before he returned to normal and walked through the portal, which closed behind him the moment he vanished.

"I deserved that," Adam admitted with a smirk before he walked over to the controls, letting out a sigh that he had been holding in ever since the war with Luna had begun as he turned off the interdimensional transporter, hopefully for the last time. He then headed for the exit, hope in his heart because he knew that his new days as a hero began then. And for the first time in eternity, he finally felt worthy of the name...hero.

S=H=A=Z=A=M

It pleased Celestia to see that the streets of Canterlot were once again filled with ponies that had happy smiles on their faces, with none of them having to worry about war or destruction once again...at least until the next ancient evil awakened and tried to take over their land.

'But that is a train of thought for another day,' she tiredly thought to herself as she bowed politely in return to a pair of ponies that bowed to her, none of them knowing that today was the last day of her rule. 'But as long as they are happy, then I don't care. It will take time to mend the wounds caused by the war and the End of Days, but as long as Luna and I work together, then it might just get done.'

Her walk through the city streets took her to all of the places where the most important battles had taken place, be it where the End of Days were betrayed by Star-Swirl, or where the champions made their final stand against the End. But the one place to which she had desired most to go, was where Sunny and Ryan had fallen, a place that she had not visited on purpose. Yet, she forced herself to the crumbled remains of the turret that had once housed the machine of the End, looking down at the rubble that had yet to be cleared away.

'I wish I could talk to you again, Sunny. I would give anything to share one more conversation with you,' Celestia sobbed in her mind as she closed her eyes with sorrow. 'I would tell you how sorry I am that I caused this war and gave into my desire for power. Or how sorry I am that I accidentally pushed you away, never giving you the chance to explain yourself...or how proud I am that you saved the world when all of us were unable to. I could not ask for a greater pair of daughters, but I wish that I could give my life in place of yours. And...against all odds...if you are still out there and alive...then know that I love you, and I always will, even after death. And maybe then, I will get to be with you and Radiance again.'

Celestia then turned away from the turret and walked back into the streets, planning on making sure that everything was safe, and that none of the End had managed to survive the battle. Yet, it had been when she was walking through one of the more abandoned areas that she heard a faint sobbing, pricking her ears up as she turned her head towards the crying. Curiosity got the better of her and she followed the sobs, until she came to a dirty cardboard box off in an alleyway. A quick flick of her hoof was enough to knock the box on its side, revealing to her a small foal.

Her eyes quickly saw that it had been out here a number of days and that the poor thing was half-starved, for she could see its ribs under its bluish coat. The colt, finally aware that somepony was looking at it, looked up to see Celestia looking down at him. The two stared into each other's eyes for a moment while Celestia wondered what to do, as flashbacks of Radiance and Sunny ran across her mind. 'No, the pain would be too great. I will take it to an orphanage.'

She had made up her mind to do just that when the tiny foal reached out to her with its forearms, eyes pleading for her to hold it. Celestia's eyes went wide before she felt her heart begin to melt, getting her to sigh as she picked the foal up with her magic and placed it upon her back.

"You know what, screw it," she muttered as the foal curled up on her back, snoring softly a moment later. Celestia moved her wings so that the baby wouldn't fall before she walked back towards the castle, knowing that neither Adam nor her sister would believe this.