• Published 14th Feb 2015
  • 4,714 Views, 898 Comments

The War of Champions - Onomonopia



A last attempt to restore a world that has fallen to hate

  • ...
11
 898
 4,714

Made Whole

"Oh great, not you too," Marvel muttered before an unholy howl could be heard and both thunderers turned to see Hulk leap into the air, driving his mass into the floating Black Adam and driving him back.

"Very well Hulk, you wish to fight me? So be it!" Adam roared as he drove an electrified fist into the Hulk's jaw, smirking when he felt and heard the bones break upon impact. He followed up the punch with a high kick to the jaw again that forced Hulk back, the jade giant snarling with rage and pain as blood trickled from his jaw. "Stand down Hulk and tell me why you are attacking the child or else I shall--"

"GGGGRRRRAAAHHHHH!" Hulk replied before he turned and smashed his mighty arms into Captain Marvel, hurling the child into the air. Faster than a bolt of lightning Adam was at Marvel's side, catching him before he was out of sight. Hulk let out another bellow when he reached down and tore a chunk out of the ground, hefting it onto his shoulders while he took aim at the pair.

"I do not think so," Adam said as he snapped his fingers, summoning three thunderclouds to surround the Hulk and bombard him with lightning strikes on all sides. "Boy, explain the meaning of this battle now or you will face my wrath," Black Adam instructed Captain Marvel as he released him, both of them locking eyes while they glared at each other.

"There's no time to explain! We have to stop the Hulk before he kills someone!" Marvel yelled as he turned back to the Hulk, who blasted away the thunderclouds with a round of applause before turning his rage back towards the two champions of magic. He screamed and hurled himself at the two, but before he could reach either of them both Billy and Adam unleashed their lightning upon him at once. Despite the raw fury that fueled the Hulk he could not stand up to two bolts of power from the Chosen Two and he was hurled across the sky, crashing down near the entrance to the small village that had been by the lake.

"Good freaking job, Adam! Way to knock the unstoppable monster of rage near the ponies!" Captain Marvel yelled at Black Adam while he tackled Hulk from behind, trying to drive him away from the town before he could get any ideas. But the Hulk was not one to be stopped so easily, and he grabbed Marvel by his face before slamming that face into the ground, where he drove his foot into Marvel's gut and kicked him across the field.

"If you had not gotten in my way, then he would have only been forced to his knees!" Adam retorted while he dive-kicked Hulk in the back of the head, stunning the giant long enough for Adam to slam his hands into the ground. A cage of electricity shot out around Adam and knocked the Hulk into the air, where Black Adam reached out and wrapped his fingers around the giant's neck while crying out, "SHAZAM!" and hurling him onto the ground. The divine lightning descended once again, but just as when Marvel tried it, all the lightning seemed to do at this point was get the Hulk angrier.

"What manner of beast is the Hulk?" Adam asked with disbelief in his voice when the Hulk not only got up after taking the power of the word, but also had the strength to charge at Adam and force the god to catch both arms over his head. To his horror, despite the strength of Amon flowing through him, the Hulk began to push Black Adam back. "You...were not this powerful when we fought before! But I am still far stronger!" With a bellow of his own Adam broke free of the Hulk's power and drove his fist into the Hulk's jaw, snapping his head back and hurling the Hulk through one of the buildings at the edge of the village.

"Great. Just great, Adam. Knock him towards the buildings! That will keep the ponies safe!" Marvel yelled at Adam when he landed next to him, debating whether to stop Hulk or knock Adam out then and there.

"Enough of your whining and tell me what in the underworld is going on?" Adam snalred as he grabbed Marvel's cape and pulled him in close so he could see Adam's eyes. "Why is the Hulk so powerful and why are you fighting with him? Is he not an ally of yours?"

"Not anymore. Banner and the Hulk are no longer in the same body, so according to the mare, that means that there's no one in there to hold the Hulk back," Marvel snarled back as he yanked his cape out of Adam's grasp, growling at him while he flipped his white hood up. "And the angrier Hulk gets, the stronger he gets. And right now he's all rage."

"So he has unlimited power?" Adam asked with a growl, not liking the sound of that. "But how did this happen?" Marvel opened his mouth to answer before realizing that he hadn't asked the mare how they had been separated. Then the voice of somepony that Adam had not heard in a long time spoke within his mind.

'You may thank the one called Tinker, Teth. He separated the Hulk and Banner simply to see what would happen.'

"You. I should have known that you would have your hoof in this," Black Adam snarled as he began to look around for wherever the mare was hiding, but at that moment the Hulk rose out from beneath the rubble of the empty house. He roared at the pair and took a step towards them, but then a small cry from behind him tore his attention away from the two, and turned it towards the filly standing behind him. She was nearly paralyzed with fear at the sight of the Hulk, whereas all the Hulk did was march towards her with a dark snarl. He lifted both arms above his head, only for two red ones to wrap themselves around his waist, Marvel taking them both into the sky before backdropping the Hulk into the ground.

"Show yourself and face me, mare! Today is the day you pay for what you have done!" Adam roared with fury as he began to sense the area around him, trying to pinpoint her location. But then an earth-shaking blow snapped his concentration and Marvel flew by him, crashing into the ground far off in the distance. Adam then turned his attention back to the Hulk, who was now walking through the small town while bringing down every building in his path. For a brief moment, Adam considered leaving the Hulk to Marvel and going off to find the mare, but then the better part of him took over and he hurled himself towards the Hulk with a snarl.

"Not today, monster! No more shall die on my watch!" The Hulk turned around at his words to take a devastating kick to the face that planted him into the ground, where Adam pinned him with his foot while he unleashed a thunderstorm's worth of lightning into the Hulk's face. "Flee, all of you! This is not a battle you shall wish to be near!" he called out to the nearby ponies over the roar of the lightning, all of whom took his advice and fled for their lives. An uppercut by the Hulk cast Adam back into the sky, where he felt himself get caught out of the air by a familiar power.

"Well, this gets worse and worse," Marvel muttered as he released Black Adam and the two glared down at the Hulk, who was making the streets beneath him quake with his sheer wrath alone.

"How do we stop him short of killing him?" Adam asked as power crackled through his hands and eyes, creating a thunderstorm above the pair. "Because right now that seems to be our only option."

'If we can fuse him and Banner back into one again, he should be able to regain control of himself,' the silver mare's voice said within both of their minds, getting Adam to snarl while Billy looked down at the radiating giant marching towards them.

"That might work, but one of us would need to find Banner and leave the other alone," he said with a shake of his head while he glared at Adam. "And I'm sure as hell not leaving you alone with the Hulk."

"We have no other option, unless you wish for me to kill him?" Adam asked with a sneer as he crossed his arms, eyes locked on the Hulk while the jade giant lumbered even closer to them. "But if we continue this battle, then the ponies will be the ones who lose. Go find Banner, boy. I will keep the Hulk subdued."

"And just how do you plan to do that?" Captain Marvel snapped back. "He was kicking both our butts. So unless you have a hidden power that you haven't told me about..." Marvel's eyes widened as Black Adam smirked at him, pushing the child away from him before tilting his head back and crying out,

"SHAZAM!"

Marvel covered his eyes as the power from on high cast itself down upon the man, yet instead of stripping him of his godly form like Billy expected the bolt to do, it only filled the child with fear as he let his eyes gaze upon what Adam had become. His normally black suit was now a divine white, with gold markings etched into the design. A staff was clasped in his left hand with a lightning bolt at the top, identical to the one the two of them wore on their chests, with golden grieves and gauntlets covering his arms and legs. But what terrified Billy the most was that he knew whose power Black Adam was now radiating, and it made him furious.

"You actually did it," Marvel whispered while he shook with fury, glaring at Black Adam, who cast him an emotionless glance. "You actually killed the wizard and stole his power! You MONSTER!"

"Yes. Another one of my many mistakes," Black Adam agreed, ceasing Marvel's anger for a moment and turning it to confusion. "But now is not the time to dwell on past mistakes. Find Banner and bring him here. I shall keep the Hulk contained." As he said this, he pointed his staff at the Hulk and unleashed hundreds of chains upon the monster, binding him within them and forcing the creature to his knees, where he roared with rage but was unable to escape. "Go."

Marvel cast one last look of disdain at Black Adam before he shot off into the distance, Adam watching him go before he turned his attention back to the bellowing monster bound before him. "You sicken me. All you seek in this form is the death and destruction of others, without any other thought. You remind me of a monster that once took everything I cared about, a monster called Doomsday. He too was a beast of rage, of unstoppable strength, and just when you believed him to be beaten he came back even stronger. He is the reason I lost everything. But now I have the power to make sure what happened to me shall not happen to others. So struggle all you wish monster, for you shall not harm another."

The Hulk bellowed with fury while he strained against his chains with all of his might, using his beyond godly power to shatter the chains that bound him. With a scream of hellish fury he lunged up at Adam, but the god sneered as he swatted the Hulk back down into the dirt with the back of his hand. "You are indeed strong, but it takes more than strength to defeat a master of magic. Ner de for shakazam." Four triangles of magic closed themselves around the Hulk, the beast bellowing when it slammed its fists into the walls that held him, to no avail.

"That took far longer than I was expecting," Adam said while he turned his head to face Marvel, who held both Banner and the other Trixie within his arms. The silver mare floated behind him while carrying the human with the false hand. "As you can see, not even the physical form of rage can overpower me," he said as he motioned to the Hulk while Marvel placed the two on the ground, Adam noticing that both the human and Trixie were unconscious.

"My god," Banner whispered with fear in his voice while he gazed up at Black Adam, every atom of his body able to feel the raw magical power that radiated from the godly being before him.

"Indeed. Now then, Doctor, I have been informed that the reason your ally is like this is because you have been separated from him?" Adam asked, waiting for a nod before continuing. "Do you know what magic...Tinker...used to make this happen?" Captain Marvel stepped forward and held out a small cylinder that Adam took, studying it for a moment with a snarl when he recognized it. "That utter fool. He will pay for this."

"Can you reverse it?" Banner asked. Adam nodded and turned to where the mare was with the coldest of expressions, once again debating whether or not to end her there. His oath to protect won out, and he motioned for Banner to stand next to the Hulk while Adam began to mutter incantations under his breath, lowering the barrier between Banner and the Hulk. The Hulk snarled as his eyes rested upon Banner and he leapt forward, but Adam trapped both of them within a column of electricity as he finished his incantations.

"Those who were once one now find themselves undone. Through the power of my magical light, I say to thee both...unite!" A flash of lightning and a roar of thunder went off at the same time, blinding all except for Adam as he continued to watch. The thunder died down and the lightning eventually stopped, allowing the group to look at where Banner and Hulk had stood. Now only a single monster remained. The green giant turned to face the group, but he wore an expression of exhaustion while he panted heavily.

"Hulk...tired," he muttered before falling onto his face, where he slowly began to shrink back down until he was Doctor Banner again.

"Banner," Marvel muttered as he rushed over to where Banner lay, helping the doctor up while the man slowly regained consciousness. "Did it work, Doctor? Is the Hulk...back to normal?" Banner slowly nodded in response with a somber expression upon his face.

"Thank you," Banner weakly muttered to Adam, Adam nodding in response. "You have no idea...how many lives you saved today."

"Indeed. But now I am faced with a dilemma," Adam began while he turned his gaze to the silver mare and four of the six champions standing before him, two of whom were out of the fight and the other two being exhausted. "For I could now crush the five of you without so much as an effort, and put an end to this charade of a rebellion that you are plotting."

"I'm still standing and I can still stop you!" Captain Marvel yelled up at Adam, but the two sets of eyes met and Adam saw doubt within his foe as Marvel gazed at Adam's ultimate power.

"You don't have to fight us, Adam. We are not your enemies, no matter what you might think," Banner said as calmly as he could while Adam turned his gaze towards him. "We are here for the same reason that you are--to save this world and to stop it from falling into the hands of destruction. We can work together." Black Adam narrowed his eyes at Banner, mulling over the idea in his mind before he turned to glare at the mare and a snarl crossed his face. But then, he turned his eyes towards the two beaten champions, and then towards the town that had been devastated by the Hulk, reaching his decision.

"Leave," Adam said to the group while he turned and began to float towards the ponies that needed him. "Both sides have suffered greatly today and because this destruction was caused by the arrogance of one of my judges, you may all leave without fear of my wrath. But know that the next time we meet, it shall not be under such an agreement. Now go." Adam did not look back as his foes gathered up their fallen and left the scene.

Marvel motioned for Doctor Banner to come with him, but Banner stopped and turned to look back at Adam. "We are not your enemies, Black Adam. There is another threat out there. We want the same thing as you. To end this war without anypony having to die and to put a stop to the Sphere of Destruction. We don't have to be enemies."

'And I...am not so sure that we must be enemies either,' Adam silently thought as he felt Marvel and the mare fly off with the others, keeping his word to not track them while he felt them leave his range of magical sense. When they were gone, he floated into the town and began to use his divine power to help repair the damaged buildings and heal those who had been injured. 'But Luna still seeks the harm of Celestia and I cannot allow that to happen. As long as you fight with her, I shall oppose you...but if the other threat turns out to be true, then perhaps I will need your aid.'

S=H=A=Z=A=M

"That does sound like quite the tale, but to think that the Hulk had such power within him," Trixie said with a shake of her head while the others nodded in agreement. "But if he was so powerful, then how did you make it out alive? With how pathetic and cowardly you are, I thought for certain that the Hulk would have killed you on the spot. I know I would if I was given the chance."

"Because, you pathetic excuse for a sentient being, I determined that the Hulk would go after the man that kept him caged up instead of the pony that freed him!" Tinker yelled with a laugh, downing another mug of beer with mirth. The crowd that had gathered in the outdoor part of the bar laughed with him as well, but Spike, who was too large to fit inside, shook his head with a sigh.

"So you unleashed an ultimate being of destruction in the dragonland without so much as a second thought?" the dragon grumbled as he held a hand to his face. "And you wonder why Black Adam does not trust you with the more important missions."

"But that will all change after today! After Black Adam sees how I have torn my enemies apart by turning one of their own against them. He will no doubt make me the leader of the Judges!" Tinker replied with a loud laugh while he held his mug high and smiled at all who were listening to the tale. "Drinks all around on me! And get the strongest stuff the bartender's got!" The ponies all let out a cheer before the door to the bar got ripped off its hinges, all eyes turning to see who was entering.

"Black Adam! We were just talking about you!" Tinker laughed as Adam threw the door to the side. If Tinker hadn't been as drunk as he was, he would have known better than to be smiling by the look Adam wore upon his face. "So, I was thinking, after my amazing idea on how to tear our enemies apart with one of their own, that I should be given a promotion. Being fifth in command is really not my thing, so how about you make me-HURK!" His words were cut off as Adam's arm shot out and he wrapped his fingers around Tinker's throat, lifting the pony off of his stool and into the air with fire burning in the god's eyes.

"After your brilliant idea? Did you know that your 'brilliant idea' nearly resulted in the death and destruction of an entire town's worth of ponies? That by unleashing such an abomination upon the land, there are now spots in Equestria that are far too radioactive for ponies to live in?" Adam snarled up at the Tinker, using his power to burn the alcohol out of his system so the pony could hear every one of Adam's words. "What you did today was not only idiotic, it also borderlined on murder of the innocent."

"But...Hulk crushed two of the mare's champions!" Tinker gasped out before Adam tightened his grip again.

"At nearly the cost of an entire village of ponies. Allow me to make myself clear. You are not to engage the champions WITHOUT my consent. And if you do," Adam began as the room darkened and the sound of thunder could be heard rumbling. "I will throw you to the Hulk myself, and we'll see just how well your brains work against a beast like him." He dropped Tinker, who began to gag while he fought to get air into his lungs, and Adam turned towards Trixie with a cold stare as well.

"What are you doing in this establishment? You should be at your own tower in case of attack."

"Please, after the Hulk took down two of their own? They won't be doing anything anytime soon," Trixie said with a smirk while she took a sip of her drink. A bolt of lightning flashed from Adam's finger and shattered the mug, leaving the pony drenched in alcohol.

"We are leaving. All of us," Adam snarled at the group before reaching into a bag he kept in his belt, drawing forth a handful of bits and placing them on the counter. "To pay for the damages. Now, out." Trixie grumbled with annoyance as she walked out of the bar, Tinker following behind her while still trying to breathe properly. Spike spread his wings to take to the sky before Adam zipped up to him and placed a hand upon his chest. "Not you, Spike. I have something else I need you to do."

"What is it?"

"I have...reason to believe that Luna and her army are not the only threats to this land," Adam whispered to Spike, the two of them flying above the city so as not to be overheard. "I believe that there is another force at work, one that we know very little about. I encountered a small band of them the other night, but they eliminated themselves before I could get answers."

"What do you need me to do?" Spike asked.

"I need you to go around and see if there are any leaks, any chance that a pony among us could be working with this...force," Adam instructed while he looked down at the city with narrowed eyes. "Do not tell anypony what you are doing. This stays strictly between you and me. Do not even tell the other Judges."

"And what about Celestia? Are you going to tell her?" Spike asked.

"I will speak with her about what has happened tomorrow. But right now, my biggest concern is this group. Go." Adam watched the dragon fly off before turning to his own thoughts, none of which helped him solve the problem at hand. 'If Spike does find more evidence of this force and that they are a threat, then I may have to temporarily ignore Luna and her army. And if this force does indeed work for one who possesses the Sphere of Destruction, then that means Banner was right. And that a darkness is heading for this land.'