• Published 3rd Aug 2013
  • 1,981 Views, 106 Comments

Doctor Whooves Episode 18: The Mystery of Colgate - Doctor Perseus



The Doctor must solve the secret behind a mysterious mare named Colgate if he wishes to save her from an ancient creature, as well as save Twilight and Pinkie Pie from the past.

  • ...
6
 106
 1,981

Encounter in the Snow

Chapter 1: Encounter in the Snow

Outside Town Hall, Ponyville, Equestria, Gaia, Winter, 1002 C.E.

The Doctor and Donna happily made their way through the snowy landscape that was Ponyville in the winter. Donna was thankful that she was wearing long sleeves and pants for it was certainly cold out. The citizens of Ponyville went about their daily lives but most stopped when they saw Donna. A few did double takes, others froze, some hid, some let their jaws drop, and others began whispering about what she could be. "I guess most of the ponies here haven't seen a human before," Donna whispered to the Doctor.

"They'll warm up to you," the Doctor replied with a smile. Donna came to a stop in front of a group of young ponies who had frozen upon noticing her. She smiled and waved at them but the ponies shrieked and dashed away into the snow. "Eventually."

Suddenly, a loud gasp broke the silence brought upon by Donna's presence. The Doctor and Donna came to a halt as a pink blur flew towards them and came to a stop right in front of them. "Oh my gosh! Doctor, you're back! I can't believe it! I've been wondering when you'd get back! Where did you go?! What did you do?! Are Twilight and Derpy with you?! Did you attend any parties?! AH! You've brought somepony new with you!" shrieked the ecstatic Pinkie Pie.

"Hello, Pinkie Pie. Pleasure to see you again," the Doctor said casually as Pinkie ran past him and up to Donna.

Pinkie stared happily up at Donna while Donna gave an awkward smile back. "Uh...hi," she said. Pinkie suddenly reached to the side and pulled a pink wagon seemingly out of nowhere. "Wait...where did that wagon come from?"

Pinkie smiled gleefully as she pressed a button on the side of the wagon. Donna watched as the wagon opened up to show a series of horns, flags, ribbons, and streamers while Pinkie began to bounce around to the music coming from the wagon. "Welcome, welcome, welcome; a fine welcome to you!" sang Pinkie Pie. Donna almost jumped as Pinkie placed a party hat on her head. "Welcome, welcome, welcome; I say how do you do?!" Pinkie then loudly blew into a trumpet that made Donna's hair shoot up for a moment. Donna only grew more confused as Pinkie pulled a large drum out of nowhere and proceeded to beat it. "Welcome, welcome, welcome; I say hip hip hooray!" Pinkie tossed the drum aside and continued to dance some more. "Welcome, welcome, welcome to Ponyville today!" Pinkie slid forward with her forelegs held up high. Donna simply stood there with her head tilted in confusion. "Wait for it!" A door in the wagon opened and a tray popped out with a cake sitting happily on top of it. This was followed by a shower of confetti shooting out of the horns in the wagon. Pinkie then did a hoof bump into the air. "Nailed it!"

Pinkie then continued to stare happily at Donna with her huge eyes. "I'm...not entirely sure how to respond to that," said Donna as she took the party hat off her head.

"So what's your name?! Are you friends with the Doctor?! How long are you planning on staying in Ponyville?! And when should I schedule your welcome party?!" Pinkie then handed the cake from the wagon to Donna and placed it in her hands.

Donna looked over at the Doctor to see that he was hardly phased from the odd musical number that had just occurred. "What was your name again?" Donna asked as she turned back to Pinkie Pie.

"Pinkie Pie! Party planner extraordinaire!" Pinkie replied.

"Oh! I remember now! Twilight's told me a lot about you. Um...thanks for the cake...and the unexpected welcoming song."

"It's no problem! I love making ponies and other creatures smile!"

"It's nice to meet you, Pinkie Pie." Donna tried to extend a hand forward while keeping the cake in her arms steady. "I'm Donna Noble."

Pinkie jumped into the air and gasped with such force that her mane and tail stuck straight out for a brief moment. "Oh my gosh! The Doctor's told me about you before!"

Donna turned to look at the Doctor. "Have you gone and told everybody in this universe about me?"

"Not everypony. Just a select few," the Doctor replied.

"Now, let's get down to business!" Pinkie stated with a serious look. Donna yelped as Pinkie placed a foreleg around her and pulled her down to her level. "We must discuss your welcome party!"

"You don't need to do that. The welcome song and the cake were enough," said Donna.

"But I want to!"

"It's best not to refuse a party offer from Pinkie. Trust me on that one," chuckled the Doctor.

"Okay. But can we discuss the party later, Pinkie? The Doctor and I need to go and talk with someone," said Donna.

Pinkie looked down sadly. "I guess," sighed the pink pony.

"I promise that we'll have that party soon."

"Pinkie promise?"

"Uh...yeah. Pinkie promise."

"Cross your heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in your eye?"

"Yeah. That too."

"Okie-dokie-lokie! I guess I'll go and say hello to Twilight and Derpy! See you two later then!"

Donna and the Doctor watched as Pinkie bounced off into the snow. "Ah. I've missed that old Pinkie Pie randomness," sighed the Doctor happily.

"She's a lot more...bouncy than how you described her," said Donna.

"Well, one cannot really find the truly right description to explain the pony that is Pinkie Pie. She sometimes does things that are even a mystery to me."

"Let's save that can of worms for another time then."

"Agreed. Now, where were we heading?"

"The Hay and Stay Hotel."

"Ah! Right! Allons-y then!"

Hay and Stay Hotel, Ponyville, Equestria, Gaia, Winter, 1002 C.E.

"Hello and welcome to the Hay and Stay Hotel. How may I assist you?" asked the pony hotel clerk standing behind the counter as the Doctor and Donna entered the hotel.

Donna walked over to the counter and placed Pinkie Pie's cake tray on top of it. "Here, have a snowy cake," said Donna.

"Um...thank you, whatever you are."

"Excuse me, but my companion and I are looking for a mare by the name of Colgate. Last I heard, she was checked into this hotel," said the Doctor. The clerk couldn't stop staring at Donna. "She's a human. No, she doesn't want to eat you. She might slap you if you keep staring at her like that, though."

"He's right about that," said Donna as she lifted her hand up. The clerk shuttered a bit and took a step back.

"Um...yes. There is a pony here by the name of Colgate. Might I ask as to why you wish to see her?" asked the clerk.

"I'm the Doctor. Colgate came by the library earlier in need of my assistance. Unfortunately, I was out at the time. But I'm here now and am ready to help her with whatever problems she has."

"The Doctor, huh? I've heard about you. Aren't you the one who kidnapped Twilight Sparkle a few months back?"

The Doctor snorted and rolled his eyes. "I thought everypony knew by now that the whole Twilight Sparkle fiasco was an accident on my part."

"Whatever you say, Mr. Doctor. Ms. Colgate is in room twelve on the first floor."

"Thank you very much."

The Doctor and Donna left the lobby and made their way into the first floor hallway. It was surprisingly quiet in the hotel and the air was abnormally cold. "The heater must be broken," said Donna as she rubbed her arms together. "They should have somebody look at it." They were halfway town the hallway when the Doctor unexpectedly stopped in his tracks. "What's wrong?"

"I think somebody, somepony, or something has already paid Colgate a visit," said the Doctor as he pointed towards room twelve. The door was kicked in and splinters of wood lay scattered on the floor. The Doctor pulled out the sonic screwdriver and carefully approached the door. Donna watched as the Doctor peered in. "Come along. Nopony's home."

Donna followed the Doctor into the hotel room and was surprised to see that the room wasn't really ransacked. The door was the worst part of the room. The only other thing wrong with the room was that the window was open and snow was coming in. "This is odd. I mean, wouldn't somebody or somepony who broke down a door search through the room next?" Donna asked.

"Whoever did this didn't come for valuables or possessions," said the Doctor.

Donna quickly put two and two together. "They were here for Colgate."

"Exactly, and, from the look of things, my guess is that Colgate made her escape."

"So is that it? Is she gone?"

"No. I have a feeling that she's still in town...and I think I have a basic idea as to what she needs my help with."

Outside the Home of Twilight Sparkle, Ponyville, Equestria, Gaia, Winter, 1002 C.E.

Twilight stepped outside, armed with her jacket and boots. She had decided to take a quick walk around town while Derpy finished explaining everything to Spike. She took a few steps forward and instantly got a bad feeling in the pit of her stomach. It wasn't a feeling of sickness but rather a feeling of...unsureness. An odd tingling sensation moved down her spine and her hairs seemed to stand up as if she had just been electrocuted.

"Twilight!" exclaimed a happy voice from nearby. Twilight turned and was immediately met with a faceful of pink hair.

"Ah! Pinkie Pie!" Twilight gasped.

"I'm so, so, SO happy that you're back!"

"I'm glad too, Pinkie. Now can you please stop crushing my ribs?!"

Pinkie giggled as she released Twilight from her hug. "Yeah. Sorry about that. I'm just so happy that you're home! Is Derpy back too?"

"Yeah. She's busy explaining to Spike about what we did with the Doctor."

"So what did you do?!"

Twilight let out a great yawn and stretched her legs forward. "Can I tell you along with the rest of the girls later? I'm currently in the mood for just a relaxing walk around Ponyville right now."

"Oh. Well, I guess that makes sense. You've probably been on a bunch of wild and crazy adventures so I should just let you relax."

"Thank you, Pinkie."

"Ooh!"

"What?"

"You can tell me and the girls all about your adventures at Donna's welcome party!"

"Donna? How do you know about Donna?!"

"I ran into her and the Doctor a few minutes ago. They were going to talk to somepony."

"Oh. Okay."

"I gave her the welcome song and everything!"

Twilight giggled at the thought of Pinkie Pie placing a party hat on Donna's head and blowing a trumpet next to her ear. "Well that was nice. I guess I'll fill you and the girls in at the party then."

"Great! And I'll be able to work it in before the Hearth's Warming Eve party and everything!"

"Hearth's Warming Eve?"

"Yeah! It's only a couple days from now! Aren't you excited?!"

Twilight had completely forgotten about Hearth's Warming Eve. Granted, she had just spent a couple weeks traveling with the Doctor, Derpy, and Donna so thinking about Hearth's Warming Eve back in Equestria hadn't been her top priority. "Well I'll be looking forward to that party as well, Pinkie." Just as the two friends were about to head in their separate paths for the day, Twilight saw somepony running towards them through the snow. It was a unicorn mare with a white and blue mane, blue coat, and hourglass cutie mark.

"Doctor?! DOCTOR!" called Colgate as she approached the library. She noticed Twilight and Pinkie and came to an abrupt halt. "Please...is the Doctor here?!"

"No. You just recently missed him," Twilight replied.

"Oh no! No, no, NO!"

"Wait a moment...are you Colgate?"

"Yes! And I really need the Doctor's help!"

"You can come inside the library and wait for him there. He just left to go find you," said Twilight.

"No! I can't stay here!" cried Colgate. "I have to keep running until I find the Doctor. It's after me!"

"What's after you?!" asked Twilight.

Just then, a chillingly calm voice began calling out. "Colgate, please stop running. We have to stop playing this game sooner or later," called the voice.

"Creepy," Pinkie whispered to Twilight.

Colgate began to shiver fiercely as she turned towards the direction of the voice and started backing up towards Twilight and Pinkie. "I have to get out of here! It's coming for me!" Colgate shrieked.

"What's coming for you?!" Twilight asked. "Pinkie and I can help you and keep you safe from whatever's out there until the Doctor comes back." Colgate was still shaking as she continued to back up towards Twilight and Pinkie.

"Yeah! We'll keep you nice and safe!" Pinkie chimed in. "Ooh! And I can make you some cupcakes! Cupcakes always help me feel better when I'm scared. Or I can make you whatever else-"

Colgate yelped as she bumped into the two ponies behind her. Then, with no warning at all, they were gone. There was no sound. No reaction. Twilight Sparkle and Pinkie Pie were just...gone. Colgate looked back towards the spot where the two ponies had been and began to shake even harder. "NO! NOT AGAIN!" she cried before running back into the snowy landscape.

A moment of silence passed before the door to the library opened and Derpy Hooves stuck her head out. "Hello? Anypony there?" she asked. There was no response. "Hmm. I could have sworn that I heard somepony talking or yelling. Whatever. I guess it was my imagination." She then innocently closed the door, completely oblivious to the events that had transpired.

Sweet Apple Acres, Ponyville, Equestria, Gaia, Autumn, 930 C.E.

"-you want to make you feel better!" Pinkie Pie stated with a smile. However, her smile was quickly replaced with a look of confusion when she realized that she and Twilight were no longer standing in the snowy pathway outside Twilight's library. They were now standing on the pathway outside of Sweet Apple Acres in the middle of a hot, early autumn day. "Uh, Twilight, weren't we just standing in front of the library...in the winter?" Twilight looked up at the sunlight pouring in through the leaves of the apple trees. "Did you teleport us or something?"

"Pinkie...I didn't have anything to do with this," said Twilight in a surprised manner. Twilight took note of what had occurred. One moment, they were standing outside the library on a snowy day and now they were standing outside Sweet Apple Acres on a sunny, autumn day. Twilight then quickly thought over how she and Pinkie had been teleported. There had been no sound, no reaction, no...anything. The transition had taken place literally in the blink of an eye. It was completely and utterly baffling...and, yet, Twilight couldn't help but feel that she had done something like this before.

"Howdy!" exclaimed a voice from behind them. Twilight and Pinkie turned towards the fence that was situated between the pathway and the apple orchard to see a mare leaning against it. She looked to be only a couple years younger than them. She had a white, braided mane; a green coat; an apple pie cutie mark; and a red bonnet tied around her mane. "I've never seen y'all before. Ya new in town?"

"Kinda? This is Ponyville, right?" Twilight asked.

"'Course it is! Home to this here apple orchard. The best apple orchard in all of Equestria, I say. But, I can't say that I've seen either of you in this here parts. What's your names?"

"Well I'm Pinkie Pie and this is my friend Twilight!" Pinkie replied as she wrapped a foreleg around Twilight.

"Pleasure to meet ya! Name's Granny Smith, but I prefer to go by Annie. I'll save that Granny business for when I'm older."

"Wait a moment. Granny Smith? You're Granny Smith?!" asked a shocked Twilight.

"Yep! I reckon y'all have heard of me. Stinkin' Rich sure loves going around and advertising my zap apple jam. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he does. The more the word gets out, the more business for dear Sweet Apple Acres and more ponies for Ponyville!" Twilight and Pinkie stared at the young Granny Smith with their mouths agape. "Well y'all look dry to the bone! Why don't you come on down to the farm and I'll get Momma to whip up some of her famous apple juice?"

"Sounds good," said Pinkie with a half excited, half surprised smile.

"Well come along then!"

"I think we could use the Doctor right about now," said Twilight under her breath as she and Pinkie followed Granny Smith to the farmhouse.