• Published 3rd Aug 2013
  • 1,980 Views, 106 Comments

Doctor Whooves Episode 18: The Mystery of Colgate - Doctor Perseus



The Doctor must solve the secret behind a mysterious mare named Colgate if he wishes to save her from an ancient creature, as well as save Twilight and Pinkie Pie from the past.

  • ...
6
 106
 1,980

The Orchard and its Angel

Chapter 7: The Orchard and its Angel

Sweet Apple Acres, Ponyville, Equestria, Gaia, Autumn, 930 C.E.

Twilight jumped back as soon as her light went out. She could hear the Weeping Angel running towards her and she quickly forced her light back on. Her horn illuminated once more but Twilight had to use a greater amount strength to keep it lit. She could feel a powerful external force pressing against her horn with the desire to take away the light forever. The Angel had turned to stone a foot away from the three mares. "NOW!" Twilight cried as her light flickered again. As the light flickered and the Angel began drawing closer, Pinkie reached into her bag and pulled out one of the bags with zap apple jam. Pinkie blindly tossed the bag through the air as darkness fell again. The sound of plastic and jam hitting stone-turned-flesh echoed against Twilight's eardrums and was followed by an explosion of blue sparks.

The mares took a few steps back as Twilight tried to bring her illumination spell back to life. She could hear the sound of running hooves and flapping wings. Pinkie tossed another bag as Twilight's horn illuminated once more. The bag smashed right into one of the wings of the Weeping Angel, who had been about to take flight. Blue sparks shot off the jam and attacked the wing like a pack of hungry timberwolves. Twilight watched as the stone skin of the Angel's wing turned slightly black. When the sparks faded away, the jam seemed to harden into something resembling that of a cocoon casing. "That's for Map Maker!" Pinkie snapped.

Twilight expected the Angel to respond but it remained silent as it continued to move towards them with each flicker of Twilight's horn. It wasn't wasting any time talking to them or threatening them. It was trying to take care of them as quickly as possible. It must see us as an actual threat, Twilight thought with a gleam in her eye. We're beating it! Only...I'm not quite sure how this is all going to turn out. Pinkie and Annie continued to throw bags of zap apple jam at the Angel as they walked backwards with each flicker of Twilight's horn. Sparks were shooting off the Angel's skin in showers and the cocoon casing brought upon by the jam appeared to be both expanding around the Angel and slowing it down. Suddenly, Twilight tripped over a raised root as her horn flickered. The second before she lit her horn up again, she felt a strong force press against her chest as well as a hot liquid drop onto her neck. When the light returned, Twilight found herself pinned underneath the Angel. Its hooves were pressing down on her chest while its mouth was open and aimed directly at her neck. It's trying to finish me off like Map Maker! Twilight tried to break free but the Angel was extremely heavy and extraordinarily strong. She focused every ounce of her strength into keeping her horn lit. She knew that as soon as her light went out, it was over for her.

"Get off her!" Pinkie yelled as she threw two more bags at the Angel, which struck its face. Pieces of jam filled with electrical sparks dripped onto Twilight, slightly burning her. Annie quickly ran to the side of the Angel and kicked it hard with her hind legs. Twilight sighed with relief as the Angel fell off her and landed on its side. She quickly pulled herself off the ground as her light flickered once more.

When the light returned, Twilight noticed that the Angel had hardly moved. Its body was caked in so much hardened jam that it appeared to be growing a second stone skin. Pinkie was going crazy now and consistently lunging bags of jam at it. With each flicker of Twilight's light and each toss of jam, the Angel moved slower and slower. Twilight could hear panicked breaths emanating from the Angel through its stolen voice of Map Maker. Twilight also began to feel the force working against her magic growing weaker and weaker. Eventually, Twilight had full control of her magic once more without the external interference of the Angel. By this point, the entire body of the Angel was covered in the hardened jam. The Angel was stuck...permanently. Perfect timing. I think we just ran out of jam, Twilight thought as she saw Pinkie rummaging through the big bag to look for anymore jam.

"What in tarnation?!" Annie asked suddenly. Twilight looked up and noticed more blue sparks moving down from the trees around them. Through the ruckus of what had been occurring, none of them had noticed that they were now in the middle of a collection of zap apple trees. All of the trees were lit up with electrical sparks and the sparks were moving down the trunks, along the ground, and towards the Angel. The ground began to shake and Twilight gasped as the earth beneath the Angel's hooves began to open up.

"What...what is this power?!" asked the Angel as it began to sink into the earth.

"It's the magic of the zap apples," Twilight replied. Twilight couldn't fully understand it. She knew that zap apples had a strange, foreign magic of their own, which made sense for their origins lay deep within the Everfree Forest, but she had never heard of them conjuring magic such as this. She knew the magic of the zap apples had a hoof in transforming the Weeping Angel into a Weeping Pegasus during its trip through the rift and had concluded that this is why the zap apple jam had such a deadly effect on it. But, now, the zap apples were using their magic to have the orchard consume the Angel. As Twilight stood in surprised horror while the Angel was eaten by the hungry earth, a part of her felt sorry for it and wished to help it. She felt an indescribable rage at the Angel for it murdering Map Maker and stealing his voice...but being buried alive was still such a cruel way for one to meet their end.

"The magic of the zap apples," the Angel stated as the only part of its body still above the earth was its head. "I do not understand it...but I shall defeat it one day. I will return. Now, Twilight Sparkle and Pinkie Pie, go and run to your Doctor." With those last cold words, the Angel was completely eaten up by the earth. The ground stopped shaking, the electrical sparks disappeared from the trees, and everything became still and quiet.

The three mares stood in silence for a brief moment. Eventually, they gained the strength to leave the area and head back to the farmhouse. They remained silent as they returned to the farmhouse with the thoughts of what had happened moving about their minds. They thought of the Angel and its final words, the strange and surprisingly vicious magic of the zap apples, and an unfortunate stallion who now needed a proper burial.

Sweet Apple Acres, Ponyville, Equestria, Gaia, Winter, 1002 C.E.

"So...what now?" Donna asked awkwardly as she picked up the unconscious Colgate, whom Donna found to be surprisingly light.

"Now, with the truth out, I think I'll take my leave," replied the Weeping Pegasus.

"Yes," said the Doctor. "I certainly believe that would be the best for-"

"With what I came for."

The air instantly grew very tense. Donna increased her hold on Colgate while Applejack simultaneously grabbed one of the ropes that was binding the frozen Weeping Pegasus. "I can see that you feel much guilt for what occurred. But I think it's sadly clear that your daughter does not want to be with you. If you take her, she will continue to fight to get away from you. How long are you willing to play this game of cat and mouse with her?"

"As long as we both can manage, Doctor. I have many years of life left in me and I've seen Colgate send a great deal of ponies back through the time stream. She and I both have long lives ahead of us. I spent many years buried in the earth, lost in a strange world, and painfully watching my unexpected child grow up with a series of gifts that are not common amongst her kind. I am the only one who can help her with her situation."

Derpy, Donna, and Applejack could see the Doctor struggle to keep his cold, serious face. They could sense that he had some painful words to say. "I'm sorry...but a Weeping Angel is not the type of parent that a unicorn needs. You're definitely a bit different from your kin in wanting to bond with a child that you never intended to help create, but that also doesn't change the fact in relation to what you've done to try and get to your daughter."

"What gives you the right, Doctor, to keep a father from his child? What gives you the right to determine what is right?"

"Your daughter came to me for help. I promised that I would help her. Your presence in her life will not help her. I, on the other hoof, can help her deal with these uncontrollable traits of hers. Every parent wants the best for their child. Believe me...I know. If you truly care for your daughter...then you'll allow her gain the help that she truly needs."

The Angel, as well as everybody and everypony else, was silent for a few seconds. As Donna held tightly onto Colgate, she suddenly began to hear the barn groaning around her and the others. The wind began to pick up outside and snow started to fly into the barn through the cracked door at quicker speeds. "I know what's best for my daughter, Doctor. I've known for the past eighteen years."

Suddenly, the door to the barn swung open and a storm of snow blew in. The Doctor and the others were caught off guard as they quickly found themselves blinded by a torrent of snow. The Doctor could hear the ropes snapping and wood crunching. "He's breaking loose!" cried Applejack's voice.

"Donna! Get Colgate out of here!" the Doctor called into the snow.

Donna heard the Doctor's orders and began to blindly make her way towards the exit. "Already on it!" she called back. Snow and hay crunched under her shoes as she power-walked through the miniature storm. She heard footsteps (or hoofsteps?) all around her. She didn't know who they belonged to but she sure as hell didn't want to get caught by the Weeping Pegasus. She fought against the raging snow and struggled to keep Colgate in her arms.

The exit has to be around here somewhere! Donna thought as she tried her best to find her way out of the snow. She yelped as she bumped into a post and nearly fell over. She moved away from the post and continued to walk in a straight line. As she walked, she heard a series of quick hoofsteps running towards her from behind. Not taking any chances, she made a blind beeline for the exit. However, after a few heart-pounding seconds of running, she tripped over something made of metal and hit the ground hard. The snow partially broke her fall but it still hurt for the barn floor was not too far beneath it. Donna gasped as she felt Colgate fly out of her arms and slide a few feet away from her. Donna tried to reach for Colgate but something ran past her and picked up the unconscious unicorn. "No! Wait!" Donna cried.

"Humans...so easy to steal from," chuckled the voice of the Angel. Donna could only listen with horror as the hoofsteps of the Angel moved further and further away.

Home of Twilight Sparkle, Ponyville, Equestria, Gaia, Winter, 1002 C.E.

Things had become quite still and boring in the library. Rainbow Dash was looking through a collection of old Daring Do books, Rarity was caught up with sketching a few fashion ideas in a notepad, and Spike and Fluttershy were leaning against the window and looking outside at the snowy Ponyville. "Do you think they've got the Weeping Angel yet?" Rainbow Dash asked as she finished skimming through the most recent Daring Do novel.

"I certainly hope so," Fluttershy replied. "Celestia knows what trouble a Weeping Angel could cause in Ponyville."

"I'd rather not think of it," said Rarity as she placed down her notepad. "I just hope that the Doctor takes care of this soon so that he can get Twilight and Pinkie back home."

"Hey, they're probably safer than us right now," said Rainbow Dash. "It's not like they have to deal with a Weeping Angel like us."

"Don't jinx it."

"Don't jinx it? Are you turning into Pinkie Pie now, Rare?"

"I most certainly am not! It's just better to be safe than sorry."

"I agree," said Fluttershy with a small smile followed by a cute nod.

Suddenly, the ground beneath the library shook slightly. "What the hay was that?!" asked a surprised Rainbow Dash.

Spike turned back towards the window and his eyes went wide. "Holy Luna!" he exclaimed as he pointed outside.

Fluttershy followed his gaze and gasped. "Oh my!" she said.

Rainbow Dash and Rarity approached the window and were also shocked. "Holy cow," stated Rainbow Dash.

"That...really doesn't look like a good sign," said Rarity. Through the window, they could see a massive swirling cloud of snow filled with blue, electrical sparks circling around Sweet Apple Acres.

"I think it's safe to say that the Angel found them," said Spike.

"Uh-huh," replied Rarity, Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy simultaneously.

Sweet Apple Acres, Ponyville, Equestria, Gaia, Winter, 1002 C.E.

The Doctor listened carefully at the sounds circling around him. His ears perked up as he heard Donna shout something a little ways away from him. He took off in the direction of her voice and quickly stumbled across her as she was picking herself up off the ground. "What happened?!" asked the Doctor.

"I tripped and the Angel made off with Colgate!" Donna replied as she pointed in the direction that the Angel had gone. The Doctor and Donna ran in said direction and soon found themselves outside. Donna looked up and her eyes widened. "Oh my God."

The Doctor looked up to see that a massive vortex of electrified snow was circling around the farm. "I've seen Weeping Angels perform horribly great feats but this is...just not normal," said the Doctor.

"Doctor! There it is!"

The Doctor looked to see the Weeping Pegasus standing a little ways away from the barn with Colgate slung over its back. Due to the flying snow, it was quickly fading in and out of sight and thus getting further and further away. The Doctor and Donna proceeded to run as fast as they could. As they grew close to it, the Angel turned around to face them and began to circle around them with each wave of blown snow. "Beautiful, isn't it, Doctor?" asked the Angel. "I spent many years trapped within the grasp of this orchard and its powerful magic. But, I eventually learned to defeat it...and now I can control it!"

The Doctor looked towards the zap apple trees and realized that the electrical sparks moving about the snowstorm were coming from said trees. "Please! Do what is right for your daughter!" the Doctor pleaded.

"But I am, Doctor. We can finally be together. Allow me to leave and I won't bring harm to this farm and the surrounding town."

"Don't do this!"

"I don't have to. Just say the word and I'll leave."

"We can't let him take Colgate!" Donna whispered to the Doctor.

"I know we can't!" the Doctor whispered back. "But I also can't let him destroy Ponyville in the process."

"Make your choice, Doctor! I shall win either way! You better do what you think is best for those you care about!"

The Doctor's hearts were pounding. He couldn't fail Colgate...but he couldn't fail Ponyville either. Suddenly, a familiar voice said, "You...are a terrible father." The Doctor and Donna watched as Colgate rolled off the Weeping Angel's back and took a few steps away from it. "I'm not coming with you! And you're not going to hurt anypony in this town!"

"Do you wish to continue to play our game, child?! Haven't you grown tired of it?! I most certainly have!"

"Yes. I have grown tired of it! That's why this ends today!"

"I do not wish to hurt you; but if I must use force to make you come with me then I will!"

Electrical sparks began bouncing off the zap apple trees and moving towards Colgate. "Colgate! Look out!" cried Donna. Donna tried to rush over to Colgate but the Doctor stopped her. "Doctor?! What are you doing?!"

"She can face him, Donna," said the Doctor before clearing his throat and staring at Colgate. "Colgate! You have nothing to fear! You have gifts! Today's the day to use some of them!"

A spark of strength flashed in Colgate's eyes. "This ends today!" Colgate snapped as her horn began to illuminate. The Angel's sparks flew at her but she hastily deflected them and sent them in other directions.

"Impossible! How can you control the zap apple magic?!" asked the shocked Angel.

"You're my father, right? You gained control over the magic. I think it's clear that's one of the gifts you handed down to me." The Angel screamed angrily as he sent more shocks at Colgate. Colgate quickly managed to redirect every single one.

As the fight between father and daughter continued, the Doctor noticed something odd about the air above the two fighters. It began to visibly move and bubble. No, he thought. It can't be.

Quickly growing tired of the fighting, thanks to a large gust of blinding snow, the Angel lunged at Colgate. Through the storm, Colgate and the Angel struggled. Colgate's glowing horn constantly struck the Angel's skin as it changed between stone and flesh. Electrical sparks from the trees continued to dance around and the Doctor noticed that they were all focusing around one particular location: the patch of bubbling air. "Colgate!" the Doctor called. "Look out! Above you!"

As soon as Colgate glanced upwards, the bubbling air ripped open and turned into a massive rift that was emanating an incredibly bright light. Donna and the Doctor could feel a powerful force grabbing onto them and attempting to pull them through the rift. The Doctor pulled out his sonic screwdriver, pointed it at the ground, and activated it. The sonic attached to the ground and kept the Doctor in place. The Doctor grabbed onto Donna's shirt with his free forehoof and she proceeded to wrap her arms around his body. "What...what has happened?!" cried the Angel.

"This is the place where you first arrived in this dimension all those years ago," said the Doctor. "Your extreme use of the zap apple magic in this very spot has opened the rift up once again. It's time for you to go home."

The Angel struggled to stay on the ground while Colgate used her magic to keep herself attached to the earth. The Angel moved forward and grabbed onto one of Colgate's forelegs. Colgate was already feeling a large amount of pain due to using her magic to fight against the pull of the rift, but now her senses were on fire as the rift pulled against her Weeping Angel father and, by extension, her own body. It felt like every cell in her body was being stretched, burned, and returned to normal as her magic fought against the pull of the rift. Tears of pain washed down Colgate's face and she let out a pained scream as loud as a banshee as the Angel tried to hold onto her legs. Mustering her last bit of strength, she violently and quickly shook the Angel loose. The Angel yelled angrily in denial of defeat as he was pulled up towards the rift. There was no escape for the Angel. Within seconds, half of the Angel's body was through the rift while it used its forelegs to hold onto the edge of the rift in a last attempt to stay in this universe. Then, surprisingly, the Angel's cries stopped.

Colgate looked up at the Angel to find him staring down at her. But...his face was different. No longer was it a sinister, angry, or frightening face. It looked calm, sad, and...fatherly. From its expression, Colgate could see the Angel expressing its realization and acceptance of defeat as well as a great, great sorrow. For once, the face of the Angel didn't frighten or anger Colgate. It instead made her feel a sense of sadness as well as that of familiarity. The face the Angel was giving reminded Colgate of the faces her own mother would give her upon telling her something disappointing or depressing. As the last part of the Angel began to get pulled into the rift, it let out a sad sigh and said one, last phrase to Colgate. "I'm sorry...my child." And, with that, the rest of the Angel was pulled into the rift.

The rift closed with a surprisingly loud bang. The snowstorm stopped and the snow began to fall back towards the ground calmly and smoothly. The electrical sparks from the trees disappeared and the zap apple trees returned to looking like ordinary, leafless winter trees. The Doctor placed his sonic screwdriver away while he and Donna stood up. Colgate seemed frozen in place. Tears were rolling profusely down her cheeks and her body was shaking something fierce. Then, without warning, Colgate fell to the ground and began cry loudly with a mix of happiness, sadness, relief, fear, pain, and anger. The Doctor walked over to her, sat down, and let her cry into his shoulder. He placed a hoof on her back and began to move it back and forth. "Just let it out," he said in a calm, parental fashion. "It's all over now. It's all over."

Donna looked back at the barn to notice a dizzy Derpy and Applejack making their way over the snowy farm towards them. They stopped upon noticing the crying Colgate being held by the Doctor. The Doctor continued to repeat his parental message as Colgate let all of her pain and happiness out in one, long cry. As Colgate cried, Donna couldn't help but feel her own sense of relief. She turned away from the Doctor and Colgate and began walking towards Derpy and Applejack. "What happened?" Derpy asked as Donna walked up to them.

Donna quickly glanced back at the Doctor and Colgate before turning back to Derpy and Applejack and sighing. "It's over now. That's what matters," she replied with a sad smile. Donna, Derpy, and Applejack then began heading over to the farmhouse while Colgate continued to cry into the Doctor's shoulder.