• Published 27th Jun 2013
  • 7,329 Views, 173 Comments

Immortal - The Grimm Reaper



A white wolf has been spotted in Equestria. Who is he and how is he connected to Princess Celestia?

  • ...
16
 173
 7,329

Part 1 - Prologue

They say to live forever is a dream many have tried to obtain throughout the ages, going so far as to call upon their flawed deities for guidance. No-one lives forever, no matter what you do, no matter how long your lifespan, there’s no such thing as immortality. Because even if you achieve immortality, it’s only a matter of time before someone finds a way to kill you.

–Starswirl the Bearded.

I ran, faster and farther than I ever could have run before. This was amazing. I didn’t feel tired, I didn’t feel sore; I just ran and ran and ran. Nothing could catch up with me, nothing could touch me; almost nothing, anyway. My team slowly but surely caught up with me, enjoying the same thrill as I had.

“This is great!” one of them said, a female; I couldn’t recall her name. Another began howling with glee at the sky as he kicked his legs against the ground and shot up like a rocket. We all laughed and did the same following his lead.

We were part of a new experimental unit designed to follow orders and not think. Originally we had limited sentience and that was supposed to stay the same, but the experiments didn’t just make us stronger and faster; they also made us smarter.

“Anyone afraid of heights?!” someone called out over the gnashing of the wind. We all smiled and replied in unison.

“NO!”

We were free; experiments on the loose. Indestructible and immortal. We hardly knew each other beyond our tests relating to teamwork, but we had all the time in the world to know each other.

We lived through the reign of humanity, to the evolution of animal kind, to the next planetary generation. We were destroyed countess times, but like a regenerating virus, we came back stronger and faster than ever. As time passed on, we began testing ourselves, sticking to our old ways from time to time. Some of them would hunt me, and some of us would hunt others. Sometimes, all of them would hunt me, and all of us would hunt another individual. It was like a never-ending war game that never ceased to entertain us.

But all good things must come to an end. On the verge of a new era, when life began anew, we became prey to unimaginable things; creatures spoken of in fairy tales. Everything changed while we stayed the same. 

I felt something touch my face. It felt pointy and hard. My mind rushed to the possibilities before I heard voices, breaking me out of my nightmare/memory.

“Don’t poke it, girls.” someone said. She sounded matured, just out of her teen years.

“What is it, Twilight?” another voice asked. I feigned slumber through the continued poking, thankful that it had stopped after the unnamed voice asked of me.

“I’m not sure. It looks like a Timberwolf, but… different.” Twilight replied. I breathed in, letting them know I was alive. I heard three sets of hooves step away while a fourth (which I assumed was Twilight) rushed to get between me and the others. I shifted around, facing away from them. I just wanted to be left alone.

“He’s pretty though.” said a third voice with a thick Earth pony accent. I couldn’t help but curl my lip into a smile at the comment.

“Beautiful but deadly, Applebloom. Remember what Applejack told you about that Poison Ivy after you ran into the field?” Twilight replied.

“Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle made me!” Applebloom complained. The second voice was joined by a fourth and final voice as the two named Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle defended their positions on the matter.

“Did not!” they said together. I imagined Scootaloo to be the one that sounded like a renegade, unless her name was ironic to her personality in which case I was wrong. I wouldn’t lose much sleep over the matter.

“What I want to know is why he has that bone over his face? It’s as white as he is.” Twilight enquired. Ah, the bone… all that remains of one of my friends, one very close to me in life, and still in death.

“Oh no, we’re going to be late! I promised you sisters I’d get you to your homes. Scootaloo, Dash said you could stay with her tonight, I think she’s very eager to regale you with her dreams of being a Wonderbolt.” Twilight added. I heard Scootaloo make an overly positive reaction to the latter part of that information, confirming my guess about which one was which.

"Aw, but I wanna pet the pretty Timberwolf!" Sweetie Belle complained, stomping her hoof. I contemplated "waking up" then and there to try and frighten her into going with Twilight in order to help the elder out, but the chances of her trying to fight me in defence of her charges was too great a risk.

As they hurried along, I stayed where I was. Time had not been kind to me. Not in the same sense as others. I'd spent over a thousand years trying to die and the only way I could possibly do that was through the one thing that scared me more than the judging faces of my friends.

I considered my options. I could either stay as I was and try to starve myself again, or I could make an attempt to gain some semblance of what life used to feel like for me. One would have thought it was an obvious choice, but to me, it was like trying to sate my hunger with water; it would never be the same. Still, water was better than nothing, right? I made up my mind then and there. I would give reintegration another chance, and I knew just who might help me.

With malnourished, but still strong legs, I rose to my feet and followed the scents of those ponies.