• Published 14th Feb 2012
  • 1,437 Views, 13 Comments

The Alicorn of the Stars - mushrumluver



Twilight meets a strange pony named Ovan... who is he and what is his significance to the The Legend

  • ...
6
 13
 1,437

Chapter3- The Shadows in Motion

The Alicorn of the Stars
Chapter 3: Shadows in Motion

Sundown at Canterlot Castle, Princess Luna was preparing herself for the weekly moon phase change; Princess Celestia entered her private quarters. After a few months of recuperation, Princess Luna resumed her task over the night. “Sister! It’s a surprise to see you here, is there something you need?” Luna was startled to see her sister enter her room.

“Not much, I just want you to visit Canterlot University’s latest project” Celestia requested while tinkering with a few of Luna’s moonstone on her dresser.

“I heard that they have discovered a way to increase the production of some rare gemstones, I think you may want to see it for yourself.” After Celestia requested Luna to visit the mining site, she placed the stone back and left Luna’s room without saying another word.

As Luna riders over her Chariot across the night sky, she still wonders about her sister’s actions earlier. “Why now? My sister coming all the way to my quarters just to tell me to go to this mining site, something is off…” Luna can’t help herself thinking about it over the duration of the travel so she decides to go over there and see what is in there that may answer her question.


“I’m tired and hungry” Rarity whines over the lack of food. Twilight thought that the journey is going to be simple and easy so she didn’t brought dinner.

“Me too…” Spike complains as he hears his stomach grumbling.

“But we can’t just leave Ovan here.” Twilight insists that they wait for Ovan to regain consciousness.

“But it’s been an hour since he’s knocked dead there.” Rarity complains.

“He’s not dead!” Twilight angrily responds. “Okay okay… Geez Twilight you really care so much for you newfound boyfriend” Rarity jests.

“And he’s not my boyfriend!” Twilight instantly denies.

“Ugh… women…” Spike in a corner silently alone with his growling stomach.

While the two mares were arguing, Luna arrives on the site and lands in front of the two mares. Gusts of wind blew as her chariot lands, prompting the Twilight Spike and Rarity to notice her arrival.

“Princess Luna!” Twilight and her friends bowed in the presence of her majesty. “What brings you here?” Twilight asked.

“Ah! Twilight Sparkle, I see that you are also here, well my sister requested that I come here, she said that there is something that might interest me here.” Luna answered. Twilight was surprised to see that Luna was no longer doing her Traditional Royal Canterlot Voice and can talk normally. Rarity on the other hand, can’t help admire the nightly beauty of Princess Luna, her crystal-like shoes, their dark, yet lustrous hair. And her dark coat which gives both mystery and beauty to the Princess, such is the beauty of being one of the regal sisters.

“How about you, Twilight Sparkle? What has brought you and your friends here? And who is that?” Luna seems curious as to why Twilight and her friends are here and points over to the unconscious Ovan.

“Right! Ovan!” Twilight suddenly remembers that Ovan still needs medical care after forgetting about him after Luna’s arrival. “Uhm… Princess Luna? Is it okay to give us a ride back to Ponyville? I don’t want to impose but… Pretty Please?” Twilight with her puppy dog eyes pleas to Luna to take them back to Ponyville.

“Okay… seeing as that pony needs medical care and how can I say no after that. But you have to explain what has happened here.” Luna ordered her guards to carry Ovan over to the chariot.

“I’ll explain on the way.” Twilight agreeing to Luna’s condition.

Twilight and Spike rode on one of Luna’s Royal Guards while Rarity on the other and they soon took off returning back to Ponyville.

“Useless twits!” a shadow of a unicorn is seen observing from a distance witnessing the entire scene and leaves the area after Luna departed along with Twilight and her friends.


Meanwhile, midnight at Canterlot Treasury, several soldiers were circling the area. The entrance of the place was destroyed. The once majestic stained glass windows shattered into millions of pieces and scattered all over the ground. Search lights were all over the perimeter of the Treasury hoping to find their perpetrator. While a group of soldiers were discussing about what to do next and their next plans in front of the entrance, a stallion approached them from behind.

Upon seeing the stallion, the soldiers quickly saluted him. While walking towards the circle of pony guards, the soldiers can’t help themselves but wonder at his presence. It was a dominating yet respectable presence, equipped with his white and golden armor, the fiery haired amber stallion called the attention of his unit.

“Update on the status!” the stallion commanded.

“Captain Sharpeye Sir!” the one of the guards responded while making a salute, “There have been sightings of a suspicion-looking pony heading towards the woods at the foothold town of Canterlot, we already sent some troops to pursue that pony.”

“Good!” Sharpeye commended his troops “I’ll foresee the capture of this foal myself” After Captain Sharpeye made his intentions clear he soon rushed to the scene where the sightings were said.

A masked pony shrouded in a black cloak flees quickly away from Canterlot Treasury and onto the woods to get a hiding place from the persistent guards. “Shit! If it wasn’t for that pony I could have pulled off this heist clean.” The masked pony huffs and dashes from alley to alley to avoid contact with the guards. Having a moment of breather, the masked pony took a glimpse of what she stole. A book, which looks really ancient but still well-kept to prevent the book from falling apart, a golden necklace with a green gem on its center, it would look normal aside from the fact that it has several carvings on the side, and a white box with a red shout cross on top of its lid. “What does he need this for?” The mare thief complained “Not part of my job to question the client though.” Upon finishing her statement a beam of light flashed onto her cheeks revealing a portion of her face showing a magenta-colored cheek.


“Halt! Thief!” The guard commanded her. The mask mare ran to the opposite side of the alley to elude the guard. She then found herself at the main street of the town, and several other guards also noticed her and took pursuit. Having one guard to elude is a piece of cake for her line of work but a whole platoon of guards was a different story, in just short seconds from three guards, there came several few more that went after her. “I could use my wings but they can narrow down the search if I do so, since they already had a glimpse of the color of my coat” She thought to herself whilst running away from the bulk of the guards chasing her.

Curve after curve, she quickly turn and go around the guards, since the guards are blocking off every path to her escape. With just one path left, she knew that it was only a matter of time before she would reach a dead end. And not to sooner, she was faced with a wall and behind her were the bulk of the guards. With no time to rethink her options she jumped as high as she can and revealed her wings and flew over the wall. The guards were startled seeing the thief was a Pegasus and were dumb struck as of the moment.

Although the mission was a bit messy, for her standards, at least she was able to escape. However, before she could even breathe for a moment to relax, an arrow out of nowhere shot through her wings sending her straight back to the ground crashing.

“Tch!” Sharpeye was annoyed due to the fact that the shot was not enough to paralyze the target. “What are you guys lounging around there?” Sharpeye was also annoyed seeing as the guards were just standing still watching the perpetrator get away.

“Sorry sir!” The senior guard apologizes to the hot-headed captain.

“Follow me; we’ll catch that thief.” Sharpeye commanded and headed into the crash site along with some troops.


“Damn it! That came out of nowhere.” The mare groaned in pain. Her left wing was pierced by the arrow that Sharpeye shot earlier, blood was flowing out of the wound leaving trails on the ground. “Shit! This is bad. If I ever managed to live another day, whoever that pony is will get it!” the masked mare still feeling bitter about the pony who interrupted her work leaving her to be discovered by the guards and putting her in this predicament. Knowing that the guards will still pursue her, she got back onto her hooves and mustered her strength to walk away from her crash site.

Not a few minutes, Sharpeye and his troops got to the site. Seeing that the site is empty and there is no sign of any pony, Sharpeye knew that the thief already fled but remembering that his shot pierced through that pegasus’ wing there should be some blood dripping around. His years of experience in battle was not misplaced and he found his blood trails immediately, a large circle of blood was seen on a pile of leaves and smaller drips where seen leading deeper into the forest. “This way!” Sharpeye commanded and his troops then followed in his direction.

“Got to respect the guards; one thing that’s for certain.” The thief commended as she started running upon hearing the noises of pursuit coming far from behind her. Going around and around the trees, knowing that the guard’s lead is just her blood trail, this was her way of confusing the guards. Despite her strategy, she can already see the light from the guard’s torches and quickly ran away. Realizing that her strategy was not enough to elude the guard’s especially that captain of theirs; she took out her cloak and wrapped it around her injured wing to cut off the blood trail, revealing her full coat in the process.

Sharpeye soon saw that the blood trails already stopped, he then knew that the thief is aware of what they use to track the thief down. With no traces left to use, he quietly concentrated on the sound of the steps and prompted every pony to stand still. Using his keen senses, he soon heard sounds of running, 39 degrees east to the direction they were facing. He then requested for his bow and arrow and with all his skill and power, fired the shot and dead silence took place afterwards.