• Published 14th Feb 2012
  • 1,438 Views, 13 Comments

The Alicorn of the Stars - mushrumluver



Twilight meets a strange pony named Ovan... who is he and what is his significance to the The Legend

  • ...
6
 13
 1,438

Chapter9- Curtains Arise

The Alicorn of the Stars
Chapter 9 – Curtains Arise

“Come on now sugarcube, it’s been three days already.” Applejack worried about her friend’s condition after that shocking revelation. “Y’ve been chuggin’ down that special cider down tha’ drain.” Applejack trying to comfort Twilight, after she suddenly came to the farm bursting in tears as her heart sank from the shocking revelation. At first Applejack pitied and cared for the heartbroken Twilight, but after days of the same repetitive words it kind of grew on her and tirelessly suggests Twilight to move on.

It was already late afternoon, Twilight continues on and one ranting about the same topic over and over again for the past three days, already gulping down a barrel of the special cider that the Apple family brews for every end of Applebuck season in celebration for their bountiful harvest. Applejack becomes more worried about Twilight’s wellbeing as the days have gone by.

“I should’ve seen this coming *hic*” Twilight drunk again with copious amounts of cider, as she was drinking this stuff the moment she fled and ran away from Ovan after the hearing the heart-breaking news. “I knew I have already read this in books *hic*, but hey did I listen? No!” Twilight talking to herself ranting “A pony like that must have a girlfriend *hic*, how can he NOT have a girlfriend. And here I was *hic* all head over hooves about him.” Twilight continues to rant on and on until a certain blue Pegasus arrived.

“So how is she?” Rainbow asked Applejack as she walked past the drunken Twilight.

“Same as yesterday, and the day before that.” Applejack nonchalantly replied.

“Oh Cheer up Twilight! You still have me, I mean us your friends” Rainbow tries to cheer her friend up.

“Uh Huh…” Applejack raising an eyebrow.

“That jerk! How dare he do that to Twilight!” Rainbow said as she clenched her hooves enraged at Ovan “He should’ve at least told Twilight that he has a girlfriend, before she got all lovey-dovey with him thinking that he’s still single.”

“RD, they’re not that all lovey-dovey.” Applejack replied.

“Not Lovey-dovey? They were about to kiss!” Rainbow insists.

“Both of them were just caught up in the moment, besides they just met, like three days.” Applejack reminding Rainbow Dash the time Twilight and Ovan spent. “No true feeling could ever spout from that span of time; it’s just puppy love, although it went up a notch or two.”

“But still! It was wrong of him to make her hope for something.” Rainbow dash presses on.

“I know, but it already happened, and none of us knew, she just has tah’ move on.” Applejack responded.

“How can you say that AJ?” Rainbow surprised at Applejack’s words

“Applejack’s right” Twilight suddenly replied after becoming sober. “Besides there might be other stallions that are better than him anyway”.

“That’s the spirit Twilight!” Applejack encourages her friend to stop thinking about Ovan and moving on.

“I’m sorry for the trouble I caused, I guess it’ll be best If I returned back to the Library maybe I just need some rest.” Twilight getting up from her seat but she suddenly stumbled due to the amounts of alcohol she drank three days consecutively.

“I gotcha’” Applejack catching Twilight before she fell down the floor. “Listen sugarcube, get some rest, and tomorrow who knows, you might even forget about this Ovan stuff and continue with your live normally.”

“Yea… I’ll go do that...*hic*” Twilight replied as she was now feeling a bit better and sober as she is being assisted by Applejack on the way back home.

“Don’t worry Twilight! If I ever see that Ovan again, I’ll give him a punch or two.” Rainbow tries to cheer Twilight up.

“Thanks, Rainbow.” Twilight smirked.


~Three days ago just after Twilight left~

“What were you thinking?” Ovan furious at Fran

“What am I thinking?” Fran also exhibiting the same emotion “I think it should go as, what were YOU thinking? Honestly the moment I look away, here you are along with some random mare.”

“Let me explain—“ Ovan tries to explain his actions but was immediately interrupted by the enraged Fran

“Explain what? You’ve been ignoring my calls, not answering my letters and not to mention not caring at all.” Fran continues to lash out.

“Listen I—“ Ovan again tries to explain yet his attempts drowned in the anger of the mare.

“Why do you keep doing this?” Fran pants as she regains her composure and also cooling down her temper in the process. “You told me once that when I got in the organization, we’re no longer allowed to live a normal life of sharing happiness with other ponies. with our line of work, we’ll just bring sadness to our loved ones so it’s best that we abandon the thought. What happened to that?”

“I ugh… “ Ovan avoiding eye contact trying to make an excuse “That was just a simple fling that’s all, nothing more I just got caught up in the moment okay.”

“I’ve known you for several years by now, Do you honestly think I’d buy that?” Fran sighs as she doubts Ovan’s words.

“Still you shouldn’t have told her that.” Ovan tries to justify his actions.

“It’s best this way, you are a member of the Guardians, you know full well what are the consequences if that were to continue. “ Fran’s tone suddenly became serious as she turned her back on Ovan. “By the way, the boss knew of what you are doing recently and he said that if you don’t focus on completing your new spell, screw your hopes of not turning Equestria into a battlefield.” After delivering her message, Fran slowly walked away from Ovan.

Ovan didn’t uttered a single word in response but deep inside it is a sickening blow for him, he knew that Fran wouldn’t normally act like that unless there is a strong influence behind it, he also knew that if it weren’t for his persistence their boss was prepared to raze an entire village just to weed out those Ponies of the Stars. Realizing that his time limit Ovan too walked away resuming his original plan, to complete his spell that can defeat the leader of the Signers.


~Two Days Ago~

Fran still feeling depressed over what she did yesterday, trying to relax her nerves over a cup of tea at the café in Ponyville. She knew that Ovan would hate her for doing that but orders were orders and her order was to put Ovan back into track, their boss knew that Ovan was getting distracted by the mare, so they had to be split one way or another. She didn’t care for Twilight’s opinion about her whether be it good or bad but when it comes to Ovan it is a different story. As she took the first sip from her tea, she was soon greeted by two mares, a white one who clearly is very conscious of her appearance and a yellow one who is seem timid and gentle.

“Two Darjeeling please.” Rarity called out to the waiter.

The waiter in turn simply nodded confirming her order and went back inside the kitchen.

“Uhm.. Rarity, I think this seat is taken.” Fluttershy said as Rarity sat on the same table as Fran.

“Nonsense dear Fluttershy, afterall we’re all friends here right?” Rarity turned towards Fran

“We are?” Fluttershy oblivious to Rarity’s plot.

“What do you want?” Fran asked.

“Why, we just want to chat. Are you busy this afternoon?” Rarity playing coy

“If it’s about yesterday forget it.” Fran quickly tries to finish her tea but the tea’s temperature begs otherwise as she burnt her tongue in her haste.

“Careful, how can a pony enjoy the taste and aroma from each cup of tea if you drink it that fast.” Rarity joking yet she was maintaining her composure.

“I’ll be sure to remember that.” Fran clearly getting annoyed with Rarity’s method of making her talk.

“Rarity, I think she’s getting angry.” Fluttershy whispered.

“Come now dear Fluttershy.” Rarity at first was insistent of continuing her methods but as soon as she took a glimpse of Fran’s face she decided to more frank.

“Miss…” Rarity trying to catch a name.

“Fran…” Fran told Rarity her name before she blurts out any random name.

“Yes, Miss Fran, I think we need to talk.” Rarity’s expression became stern and serious as she told Fran her motive. “But after tea.”

“If that is okay with you…” Fluttershy silently followed.

Fran in turn gave a hesitant nod, for she knew she might have a hard time escaping the two so the best way to get them off her tracks was to simply entertain their questions and be done with it.

“I know I should be getting ready for my trip to Dragonshire Manor, but I cannot simply ignore my friend while she is in pain.” Rarity started off.

“And how is that my problem?” Fran brushing off Rarity’s concern for Twilight

“So tell me honestly,” Rarity came closer as she rested her hooves on the table, “Is Ovan really your boyfriend or you just wanted to just split them apart?”

“What in Equestria are you saying?” Fran retaliated “He IS my boyfriend, and your friend happens to be stealing him from me.”

“Clearly now, I honestly believe I would buy that?” Rarity jeers at Fran’s statement “Fran deary, no offense but I have seen better acts than yours, and clearly if you really are his girlfriend you wouldn’t gloat like that.”

Fran was taken aback by Rarity’s words. Her words were like harsh whip lashes to Fran’s ear and heart. “What in Equestria is YOUR Problem!” Fran suddenly slammed the table and shouted. “The nerve of you, waltzing in front of me wasting my time and now you’re telling me all this crap!”

“Rarity… I think we should stop this…” Fluttershy whispered to her friend as she was getting scared of what would happen if these two ponies were to tear each other apart.

“Really now, did you think that you would scare me with your shouting?” Rarity answered back yet still maintaining her poise “Now tell me, why did you go do something like that? Coming in between Ovan and Twilight like that and carelessly saying that you’re his girlfriend.”

“What if I did? That’s clearly none of your business” Fran finally admits yet she maintained her defensiveness. “Now that you’ve got what you need to know, Leave!”

“Normally, I wouldn’t forgive you for hurting my friend, but I can see that you are also in desperate need of help, I can see it in your eyes that you’re filled with envy as you watch those two, am I right?” Rarity peering into Fran’s eyes.

“Didn’t I told you to leave?” Fran avoiding Rarity’s eye contact. “Besides, I have no idea what are you talking about.”

“Don’t worry, we’re about to go to the spa right about now anyway.” Rarity finishes off her drink and along with Fluttershy they stood up and walks away “It was nice talking to you though.” Rarity said as she leaves the green mare behind.

“Sorry for Rarity’s behavior.” Fluttershy bowing in apology for her friend’s words earlier “Rarity wait” she then scrambles off after noticing that her friend already gained some distance.

Fran’s expression slowly turned from angry and bitter to sad and depressed as she knew that Rarity was right, every word the mare said was right. She is jealous, filled with envy while looking at Ovan and Twilight together. She wanted to express her feelings more but as one of the Guardians it prevented her so, but it didn’t stopped her from wanting seeking aid from Rarity. Desperately wanting to have someone to at least talk to, she soon followed the two mares into the spa.


~Yesterday~

“Hmm… no references about quartz in magic” Ovan sighs heavily failing to find some clue on how to use quartz in his spell. Lying on his bed trying to think of a way, he recalls some scenes that happened previous days ago. His memories flashed from his first meeting with Twilight, the welcome party, his near kissing scene with her to Fran’s involvement in the matter. No matter how he tried to refocus, the images of Twilight kept running through his mind. “Maybe Fran was right, I am getting a bit too distracted from my original goal.” He kept on sighing hopelessly recollecting his thoughts until a certain pink pony barged in his house.

“Ooh… Nice place you got here.” Pinkie exclaimed while she was trotting around the house.

At first Ovan thought Pinkie Pie was just being sarcastic as he looked around the place, seeing worn out furniture, cobweb infested nooks and crannies, bales of hay used as beds and a candle which was a pathetic excuse for illumination.

“How did you know that I live here?” Ovan curiously asked

“Elementary my dear Ovan, I followed you on your way back.” Pinkie Pie replied while she was looking on Ovan’s shelf filled with different sorts of devices, but what caught her attention was that of a square monocle-like device. It’s different from the usual monocle since it had purple lens and can be attached to the ear. “What this?” Pinkie Pie asked as she fitted the device.

“That one? That’s a uni-scouter.” Ovan replied while he was watching over Pinkie Pie making sure she wasn’t going to break any of his things.

“What does it do?” Pinkie Pie asked.

“Basically it gives you an estimate of a unicorn’s magical capacity, mostly I use it to decide whether to flee or fight.” Ovan explained “You can press that yellow button near the ear to turn it on. But you can only use it on unicorns they’re the only ones who possesses active magic”

“Like this?” Pinkie Pie followed Ovan’s instruction pressing the yellow button on the side of the device. She was fascinated with the device when random numbers suddenly popped up on the lens fluctuating intensely. “IT’S OVER 9000!” Pinkie Pie exclaimed as she pointed her sight towards Ovan.

“What?!” Ovan surprised at the pony’s statement.

“Just kidding, I’ve always wanted to say that.” Pinkie Pie giggles.

“You’re weird but funny weird” Ovan slightly smiled said. “What are you doing here anyway?”

“To make you smile of course!” Pinkie Pie declared while she was putting the device back to the shelf. “You see, while you were going back home, I noticed that your face was all sad and mopey so Good Ol’ Pinkie Pie came to turn that sad frown upside down.”

“You sure about this?” Ovan questions Pinkie Pie “I mean, I did hurt your friend and all.”

“I know you didn’t mean it.” Pinkie replied with an earnest grin on her face “Besides my Pinkie Senses tell me that you’re not a bad pony. And you’re also one of my friends”

“Pinkie Senses?” Ovan wonders about what Pinkie told him.

“You see, there are various twitches that happen to my body when something is about to happen, like when my tail twitches that means stuffs are gonna fall, and when my knees get pinchy something scary is bound to happen. “ Pinkie gleefully explained her Pinkie senses.

“So your Pinkie Sense can actually tell if that pony is good or bad?” Ovan asked.

“Not really, but I can sense that you are not a bad pony anyway.” Pinkie feeling guilty for telling Ovan that it was her opinion of him that made her say that. “Does that still make you feel better?”

Ovan didn’t reply but he just simply smiled in satisfaction knowing that at least one pony cared.

“You’re smiling now. That’s good” Pinkie feeling happy that she made the depressed Ovan feel uplift even for a bit. “My work is done.” She said as she trotted off waving goodbye “Remember If you’re feeling down, Pinkie’s always here in town.”

“Thanks Pinkie…” Ovan said silently as he watches the energetic pony hop off back to Ponyville. “I‘d love to Pinkie Pie take a whack at the boss.” He smirked as he went back inside continuing his work now with a less depressed state-of-mind.


~Present Day Later that Evening~

“Here ya’ go Twilight, Home sweet home” Applejack puts down the wobbling Twilight over the front door of the Library to knock on the door hoping Spike would answer immediately.

“Okay okay, no need to get your hooves up.” Spike getting annoyed with the fervent knock. As soon as Spike opened the door, he immediately saw the intoxicated Twilight. “What happened? Did I miss a party?” Spike wondering what could ever get Twilight like that, in all of his life he never saw Twilight consumed alcohol and even worse wasted like that.

“Relax Spike, she’s just sleeping after drinking a barrel of that special cider. Just give ‘er some water and she’ll be fine.” Applejack instructed. “It’s gettin’ late so I best be heading back now have tah’ prepare for the nearin’ Applebuck season; just tell me if somethin’ wrong ’kay?”

“Okay…” Spike complied while he is dragging Twilight to her room while Applejack already exited the Library.

As soon as Spike was already in front of Twilight’s room, they were soon greeted by an unexpected visitor. Spike was startled the moment he saw their guest dropping Twilight as a result. It was none other than Princess Celestia herself.

“Spike, what happened to delicate handling?” Twilight woke up after being dropped on the floor, still feeling a bit tipsy her vision is still blurry as she glared at the majestic sun princess in front her barely recognizing her until she saw the signature multi-colored mane of the princess.

“P-Princess Celestia?!” Twilight suddenly stood up “W-what brings you here?”

“It’s good to see my prized pupil again.” Celestia cheerfully greeted Twilight. “I’d love to stay and chat but I must tarry no longer. As they might start to suspect”

“What do you mean Princess?” Twilight curiously asked

“It seems that one of my guards discovered some piece of evidence that links to a member of a certain group, I think they call themselves the Ponies of the Stars.” Celestia’s expression turns into a more serious one as she explains and reveals the situation to Twilight.

“Ponies of the Stars?” Twilight puzzled with the Princess’ words.

“Yes, Twilight Sparkle, right now we still don’t know what they want but one thing is for certain, it relates to this.” Celestia hands Twilight the book of Predictions and Prophecies and turns it over to a page revealing a shadow of an alicorn stallion surrounded by stars. “This is Cosmos, he was once a noble pony like us but was soon tainted by the powers of chaos similar to my sister Luna, but he possesses far more powers than the both of us combined. Right now he is banished amongst the stars but if these ponies of the stars are attempting to break that seal then…”

“Say no more Princess, my friends and I will put a stop to these Ponies.” Twilight proudly offered to help Princess Celestia.

“Thank you for your offer Twilight Sparkle, but there is one problem.” Celestia replied. “Their identities are all shrouded in mystery and darkness that none of us knows who or what exactly we are facing. And I don’t want you or your friends to be put in danger.”

“Not to worry Princess, as long as we stick together, we can overcome anything.” Twilight strongly stated.

“I’m really sorry for putting the burden of Equestria into you and your friend’s hooves.” Celestia apologizes. “I wish I myself could resolve this case, but it would raise suspicion if ever I go out.”

“You can count on us.” Twilight determined to carry out the Princess’ mission. Aside from she wants to be useful to the Princess, it was also the thing she needs, something to get worked up on to make her forget about Ovan and best way to do it is through the missions the Princess gives her.

“Oh by the way, I’ll leave this thing here, it’s a device that enables any pony to return to anyway they previously visited.” Celestia puts down a capsule-like device on Twilight’s desk as she prepares to go back to Canterlot “I think this was invented by some talented student of Dr. Arkham Kaust of Canterlot University.”

“What?!” Twilight shocked to hear what the Princess had said. “With all due respect, I don’t need this thing.” Twilight insistently refuses the device and continuously persuades to return the device to the princess since she clearly knew who built that thing and it was the last thing she needs for her attempts to forget about that certain pony.

“If you say so…” Princess Celestia chuckles as she humbly receives back the device but as soon as she was near the exit, she noticed Twilight’s satchel lying around. Looking right and left, noticing Twilight is already starting her research on the matter, she placed the device inside the satchel and left without saying a word.

“Princess I—“before Twilight finished her sentence, Princess Celestia was already gone, leaving the Library to Twilight and Spike all to themselves.