• Published 14th Feb 2012
  • 1,437 Views, 13 Comments

The Alicorn of the Stars - mushrumluver



Twilight meets a strange pony named Ovan... who is he and what is his significance to the The Legend

  • ...
6
 13
 1,437

Chapter 11- Through the Fire

The Alicorn of the Stars

Chapter 11 – Through the Fire

Several voices were incoherently and constantly calling out AJ’s name in the dark.

“Applejack? Applejack?”

“Is she going to be okay?”

“I hope, I didn’t used too much magic…”

“Oh come on Twi, besides it takes more than that to knock her down.”

“Look! She’s finally coming through…”

“Sis!”

“The FARM!” Applejack suddenly jumped up from bed. She started breathing heavily as she comes around trying to figure out what happened while she looks around the room she is in. She immediately recognized the circle of ponies surrounding her worried about her condition. She looked around and first saw Applebloom, Big Macintosh, Fluttershy, Twilight, RD and Spike, and just over the circle is Granny Smith resting on her chair as it moves back and forth in a harmonious manner.

“Calm down, Applejack… You still need rest after what you’ve been through last night.” Twilight gently suggested the orange mare to lay down.

“W-what happened last night?” Applejack asked.

There was a brief pause after AJ asked the question. Both Big Mac and Applebloom were reluctant to answer their sister’s question as both of them looked away from AJ. Spike scratches his head thinking if he would be the one to break out the news to AJ. Fluttershy bowed her head down thinking of a way of explaining the situation without hurting her friend’s feeling, while Rainbow Dash’s eyes moved left and right observing the different reactions each, realizing that not one of them wants to break the news so she took it upon herself to tell AJ what happened. She took a deep breath mentally and emotionally preparing herself to tell AJ.

“Sweet Apple Acres is gone.” Twilight suddenly comes out of nowhere the moment RD opened her mouth and ended AJ’s suspense. Both Big Mac and Applebloom turned away from Applejack breaking in tears, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy both looked down not wanting to see their friend’s reaction after hearing that heart-breaking news.

AJ’s heart sank upon hearing those words. The pain of hearing those words pierced through her heart like a spear. Her vision started to get blurry as she starts to breathe heavily as the pain tightly grips her chest. Regaining back her composure, she calmly replied “Ah’ wanna see it for mah’self.”

*********

“Yes Boss Quince?” Fran is seen talking to a cellular phone-like device held on her hooves.

“We’ve learned that several Signers were seen heading to Forgotten Woods Barrow. I want you to investigate the area. I’m also sending Sharpeye to accompany you with this mission. ” Quince replied with a commanding tone.

“Him?! That hot-head?” Fran negative about having Sharpeye as her companion. “I could do this on my own rather than have that guy come along.”

“Why not send Ovan and I? We’ll take care of them.” Fran suggesting something that she is comfortable with not to mention she truly desires.

“I have given my order! You two are going to rendezvous on the outpost town near Forgotten Woods Barrow, since the barrow is said be one of their hideouts” Quince commanded “and speaking of which, How’s Ovan and his spell?”

“He has all of the reference guides he needs, ranging from Starswirl’s time spell, several stones relating to time, not to mention even fiction books relating to Time Travel. Knowing Ovan I think it might take him a week or less to finish that spell.” Fran replied being complacent in Ovan’s skill.

“Still I don’t know what he’s up to.” Quince being skeptic on Ovan’s spell. “This list of books you sent me regarding Ovan’s references seems like he’s going time travel but we all know the consequences of such.”

“Relax Boss!” Fran putting her faith on Ovan “He knows that as well. Let’s just trust him.”

“The moment I learned that this is a Time Travel Spell, we’re going to launch Operation Genocide Jack.” Quince replied and not a moment too soon he cut-off the communication link between the two devices.

“Please Ovan, you’re the only pony capable of preventing this.” Fran hoping for Ovan’s success, for she knew that their Boss would really do it. After witnessing the horrors and trauma of a genocide, she definitely doesn’t want to see one again more importantly be one of causes of it.

*********

Everything was black, charred and gray, to the massive orchard to the smallest of plant-life. Even their worn-out barn seemed unrecognizable after the fire. Their once rich brown soil turned black, putrid and dead. It seemed that the only thing that was spared was the entrance to the once magnificent apple farm. The bright sun up in the sky seemed like a bitter irony when faced in front of them the remains of Sweet Apple Acres.

“This can’t be true…” Applejack down to her knees said after seeing their farm reduced to ashes. “This is just hafta’ be a nightmare.”

“Applejack…” Twilight taking pity on her friend’s display.

Big Macintosh, Applebloom and Granny Smith came to the orange mare’s comfort as they all broke down in tears.

The three stood on the side feeling sorry for the Apply Family and for themselves as well as they feel helpless and useless in their friend’s plight, and blaming themselves for not being able to prevent this tragedy from happening.

“Of all the time Rarity and Pinkie Pie to be out of town.” Rainbow Dash venting her frustration.

“You can’t blame them, Rarity already left two days ago for her job at Dragonshire Manor and Pinkie Pie was asked to host a party for the an Orphanage in one of the neighboring towns.” Twilight reasons with the hot-headed mare.

“I know, it’s just that this had to happen when they left.” Rainbow Dash replied feeling distraught over the fact that she can’t do something. “I bet that Ovan guy has something to do with this.” Rainbow Dash started pinning the blame on Ovan.

“Rainbow! How could you say that?” Twilight reprimanding Rainbow Dash “I know he’s a jerk and all but he certainly would do something like this.”

“But it all seemed well-timed.” Rainbow Dash reasons out “He comes to Ponyville, Rarity then gets a job at the Dragonshire Manor, then just yesterday Pinkie Pie had to go host a party, and now you’re gonna be gone for a few days for the Princess’ task for you. Coincidence? I think not!”

“Unless you have evidence…” Twilight tries to calm Rainbow’s claims as she finds it ridiculous but she soon paused after recalling Rainbow’s last words. “Wait, how did you know that the Princess gave me a task?” Twilight curious on how Rainbow Dash got that information.

“Uh… Anycase, it’s all too suspicious.” Rainbow Dash looked away as she manages to get back to the topic. “I don’t trust him one bit.”

“Please don’t argue anymore…” Fluttershy stepped in knowing that even if they put all the blame on Ovan it still won’t solve the problem. “Oh Applejack, I sorry that I wasn’t there to help you prevent the fire.” She then approached Applejack and her family.

“Don’t blame yerself sugarcube.” Applejack drying up her tears and regaining back her composure. “No matter how many times Sweet Apple Acres burns, as long as we’re together, we’ll just hav’ta work twice if not triple harder tah’ bring back Sweet Apple Acres.” Applejack regains her usual confidence. Her bright confident smile not only assured her friends that she’s going to be okay but it also served as a beacon of hope for her family.

“That’s the Applejack I know.” Twilight felt proud for Applejack after hearing those words. “I’m sorry that I’m going be gone for a while, but you can live in my place for the time being.” Twilight gladly offered her home.

“Ya’ sure Twilight? Ah’ mean what about Spike? And yer books?” Applejack replied.

“Don’t worry about it, I’m sure Spike is okay with it and Spike will take care of the books, just make yourselves at home.” Twilight assures her friend.

“Thanks…” Applejack gladly took the offer. “The moment we managed to get ourselves our own place we’ll move out faster than you can say horseradish.”

“I know you will.” Twilight chuckled.

“Hmm…” Rainbow Dash started to nudge her head thinking of a way to help her friend. Her puzzled look soon turned bright the moment she got an idea. “Hey AJ!”

“What is it RD?” Applejack quickly responded over the sudden call from Rainbow Dash.

“How ‘bout this?” Rainbow Dash excited “You help me with the incoming Best Young Flyers Competition, and say you get the prize money?”

“What?! Did ya’ knocked yer head on a rock or somethin’?” Applejack surprised at Rainbow’s idea.

“I don’t need the prize money you can have it, coz’ it turns out this year’s winner gets a chance of being a part of the Wonderbolts.” Rainbow Dash breaks out her news.

“But still, you know how Ah’ feel when Ah’m in somepony’s debt.” Applejack disagreeing with Rainbow’s idea.

“Think of it as a…” Rainbow Dash trying to think of an excuse to convince Applejack to take her offer “advanced birthday gift.” Rainbow Dash at first was proud of her statement but she soon realized that it was a pathetic excuse, she knew how stubborn her friend is when accepting gifts like this but deep down she wants to redeem herself for not being there to stop the fire.

“Okay RD…” Applejack humbly accepted the offer after seeing that Rainbow really wants to help her out and it would be rude of her to brush off aid especially when she needs it and besides it doesn’t seem one-sided.

“If you also need any help, I’ll be there…” Fluttershy also offered to help Applejack and her family as well.

“Thanks guys…” Applejack sniffed as tears of joy started to roll down her cheek.

*********

“Vhat?!” Draco slammed his desk in his anger. “He should know vell vhat happens vhen you steal from me! I thought you ver in charge of security Spineles!” He then directs his furious stare upon his helpless attendant Spineles.

“I’m really sorry sir, it’s just that I was overpowered by that pony.” Spineles whimpering out on his master.

“I simply cannot believe that—“Draco raising his hoof furious over his attendant’s incompetence.

“Sir! Somepony is coming, wouldn’t want them to see you like this.” Scaleful with his usual indifferent expression suddenly stepped-in.

“Begone from my sight before I rip you into shreds!” Draco shouted as both attendants jumped off the window avoiding the incoming visitor and their master’s wrath.

“Knock Knock Knock” the door thudded as soon as both Spineles and Scaleful were gone. “Lord Draco, may I come in?” a familiar sophisticated voice called at the other side of the door.

“Ah… Rarity, do come in; I vas just thinking of coming over to your vorkplace to visit.” Draco suddenly shifted his mood from furious to his façade of smiles and composure. “So how are you and you’re new vorkplace?”

“Everything here is splendid, the equipment the materials and not to mention the food here is simply marvelous.” Rarity enjoying her stay at the Manor.

“Zat’s good newz, So vhat brings you here?” Draco asked.

“If it’s okay with you, I going to take some measurements for your suit.” Rarity replied firmly stating her purpose.

Draco nodded in agreement and Rarity started to take measurements for Draco’s suit. She took out her measuring tape and started taking down measurement after each time she measures each part including the neck, croup, dock, haunch, shoulders and hip. After she was done, she returned back to her workplace and started her work.

“I still miss working at my own place, but I must do this, I must!” Rarity pep talking herself and resumed her work until she was distracted by a green spine protruding behind the cabinet beside the bed.

“Oh my, what in Equestria is this?” She approached the thing of interest and upon closer inspection she saw none other

than Spike. “SPIKE?!”

*********

“Hmm… According to Princess Celestia, if I pinpoint the location of her battle against Cosmos, it should point-out here.” Twilight back to her research in the Library after she got the books she requested her mentor the moment she got back, she encircles a spot in the map showing a mountain-area just west of Canterlot. “Forgotten Woods Barrow”

“Sorry that Ah’m not gonna be able tah’ help ya’ this time sugarcube.” Applejack suddenly approached Twilight.

“That’s ok Applejack, you’re top priority is settling in first so that you guys can start rebuilding Sweet Apple Acres” Twilight replied.

“I know, anyway I really thank ya’ for stoppin’ me yesterday.” Applejack replied. “I mean if ya’ weren’t there to knock me down with yer’ magic then I would hav’ probably jumped off in the fire. I mean I was a real mess back there.”

“I’m really sorry for that, but I had to it.” Twilight still harboring guilt for knocking down Applejack.

“Ya’ had to do what ya’ had do.” Applejack replied hoping to clear away her friend’s guilt “Ya’ sure ya’ don’t need help in this here mission of yers?”

“Thank for the offer but I can’t just drag you guys after making plans like that and all; and besides I can always teleport back here if in case something happened.” Twilight replied putting Applejack at ease with her worries.

“Yeah, she’s right AJ. There’s nothing they can do to my— I mean our Twilight.” Rainbow Dash reassuring Applejack that there is nothing to worry about.

“And what are you still doing here?” Applejack curiously asked.

“Helping?” Rainbow Dash responded with a flimsy excuse.

“But Ah’ve already finished movin’ in hours ago.” Applejack pressing Rainbow Dash with a playful smile on her face “So

whatcha’ helping now with?” After a brief pause and seeing Rainbow Dash lost for an excuse Applejack ended her joke “Just kidding, Thanks.”

“uh… No Problem!” Rainbow Dash got back up her usual confident pose. “So Twilight, where’re you headed to?” she turned to Twilight afterwards.

“To Forgotten Woods Barrow.” Twilight replied while she grabbed her satchel. “Its original name was supposed to Green Woods Barrow but after an incident happened there many years ago, it was soon abandoned and now known as Forgotten Woods Barrow. There’s a nearby town there so I’ll be going there first before going to the barrow itself.”

“I wish I could join you Twilight, but you know…” Rainbow Dash replied scratching her head feeling sorry that she couldn’t be in two places in one time.

“That’s ok Rainbow, Good luck on the Competition.” Twilight bids farewell to her friends as she exited the Library and headed towards Friendship Express. “Now where is that Spike.” She mumbled on her way out.

“Good luck to you to Twilight!” Both Applejack and Rainbow Dash waved goodbye.

*********

“Good thing that I still made it for the last trip.” Twilight feeling a bit relieved as she waits for the train to arrive coming from Manehattan and bound for Canterlot.

Not long, the train was soon spotted nearing the station, the metal wheels screeched loudly as it attempts to brake just about right for passengers to board the train from the station platform. Steam scattered all over the platform the moment it stopped. With the engine still running for its last trip, Twilight boarded the train and at the same time an bright orange earth pony got off from the next carriage. The train soon left after verifying that there were no more ponies boarding.

“It’s been a few years since I last went here.” The orange pony remarked. “I wonder how’s Sweet Apple Acres is doing not to mention her.”