• Published 14th Feb 2012
  • 1,437 Views, 13 Comments

The Alicorn of the Stars - mushrumluver



Twilight meets a strange pony named Ovan... who is he and what is his significance to the The Legend

  • ...
6
 13
 1,437

Chapter 20- Where Things End

Chapter 20 – Where Things End

~Starshine Manor~

On the ruins of the Starshine Manor stood Twilight, Ovan and Duran faced with one unicorn who stood before them with such confidence and arrogance. The chilling winds seemed to respond with Nova’s air of confidence as he stares at his enemies with a smug look on his face. The three of them knew they had the numbers advantage but there was something within their foe that made them all shiver and feel uneasy. Both parties stood vigilant and stared down at each other waiting for some pony to do the first move.

The three braced themselves in a fighting stance while Nova simply stood complacent in response.

“This is getting us nowhere…” Duran broke the silence as he drove his hoof on the ground preparing to attack the unicorn. Without warning, Duran quickly rushed at Nova. Positioning himself into a tackling position, he plans to mow down the unicorn with all of his momentum.

“Duran wait!” Ovan tried to prevent the earth pony’s rash decided but he was too late, Duran was already halfway towards Nova.

RAHHH!” he shouted as he tried to ram Nova with his head. His plan soon backfired when he found himself resisted by an unknown force. He looked up wondering what could have stopped his charge to his surprise it was none other than Nova hooves. Nova was pushing him back. His eyes were filled with disbelief to see a unicorn overpower an earth pony.

“What?” Nova smirked. “Did you really think that I am some run of the mill unicorn?” he wrestled the earth pony down.

“Duran!” Twilight cried.

“This is bad.” Ovan quickly dashed towards the two with his horn charged with magic.

Before Duran could get up, Nova stepped on all four of his limbs and stood on top of him. “You should really reconsider before changing sides…” Nova slowly shook his head mocking Duran’s decision. he quickly darted his sights on the approaching unicorns. Charging his horn with a spell, he blasted Ovan with a ball of made of mana sending Ovan flying back to Twilight’s side.

“Quite the fascinating spell you did here Ovan.” He noticed the blue layered coatings on Duran’s body. “I’ll deal with you later.” He waved his glowing horn all over across Duran.

His whole body was soon coated by a dark blue glow. The spell on Duran’s body slowly dissipated into the air and the pain quickly jolted across Duran as if he was getting torn limb from limb. The moment Duran was getting tortured by his own injuries; Nova quickly delivered a heavy stomp with his back hoof on Duran’s ankle.

“That will put you out.” Nova smirked and got off of Duran.

Duran screamed in pain as he felt his bones of his ankle shattered. His face was writhing in pain as he felt helplessly on the mercy of Nova.

“I usually kill off the likes of you now, but…” He turned his attention towards the two unicorns across. “I have bigger ponies to fry…” he grinned and walked towards the two. “Literally…”

“Ovan! Get up!” Twilight called out to Ovan as she shakes him left and right to consciousness.

Without warning, Nova suddenly teleported himself besides them and swatted Ovan away, sending him crashing into a tree leaving Twilight one on one with him.

“Stay back!” Twilight with her voice stammering charged her horn and aimed at Nova.

“Relax Twilight; I just want to talk…” Nova calmly said with a smug look. He slowly walked towards the mare like a predator closing in on his prey.

“I said, STAY BACK!” Twilight suddenly blasted Nova with a purple ball of mana. The ball exploded as soon as it made contact with Nova. Puffs of smokes clouded Twilight’s vision of Nova as she recovers her breath after the surprise attack. Staring at the cloud of smoke as it dissipates and hoping that her attack did some damage, she remained vigilant on her hooves.

“At least that one had some backbone in it…” Nova soon responded the moment the smoke cleared out. To Twilight’s surprise, there was no scratch nor burned marks, as if nothing happened.

“It can’t be…” her eyes widened and jaws agape, said full of disbelief stared on the unwounded Nova.

“What? I can’t use barrier spells?” Nova calmly replied, a dark blue layer shined around the stallion as he continued to stalk Twilight. “At least you’ve managed to force me to erect a barrier unlike last time.” he scoffed and reminded Twilight of their earlier encounter. “Trust me I’m more capable than this…” His eyes narrowed down on the mare preparing to strike.

Twilight soon felt an invisible force gripping her throat. It was tight enough to render her helpless and soft but not strong enough choke her to death. She was then helplessly levitated by Nova’s magic. Lifted a few inches up in the air; she tried to struggling against his spell while the stallion complacently paces in front of her left and right.

“Don’t bother that hold is too much for you…” Nova spoke ignoring the mare’s struggles. “But I say, this is so disappointing.” He let out a sigh. “Then again, it was because of the Elements of Harmony that you’ve managed to defeat Nightmare Moon and Discord.” He pouted and a sick smile soon crept on his mouth. “I wonder how your friends will react if I paid them a visit…” he stared at Twilight full of malicious intent on his words.

“Don’t you dare harm my friends!” Twilight cried as she forcibly broke free of Nova’s grasp. Without giving the stallion room to retaliate, she quickly blasted him with the same spell she used earlier. Still feeling complacent, Nova simply erected the same barrier he used to deflect the spell earlier. his barrier was easily overpowered by Twilight’s spell, shattering like glass.

Caught in the explosion of the spell, Nova quickly backed away from Twilight with several burn marks on his coat. “Not bad…” he said shaking his head. The moment he darted his attention back to Twilight, several volleys of purple beams were already heading his way giving him no time to defend himself. Nova was sent flying and crashing into the remains of the ruins.

“To think you still had it in you…” Nova raised his head as he smirked. His mane was already a mess as well as his coat. He slowly reached for something behind his back as the mare approaches him.

Twilight charged at Nova like a rampaging bull with all of her magic pumped up in her horn. Her mind was blankly focused on killing the stallion in front of her until somepony suddenly grabbed her from behind.

“Stop Twilight!” Ovan quickly grabbed the rampaging mare. “I know you want to stop him from hurting your friends but not like this…” he called out to the mare hoping that it will bring her back.

“Let me go!” Twilight pushed and struggled her way out. “I will destroy him!”

Ovan ignored Twilight’s words and kept on holding her. Twilight’s struggle proved to be harder than he thought. The mare whisked him left and right and tried to drag the stallion with her to get in range with her target to deliver the finishing blow.

“Twilight, listen to me!” Ovan turned her over to his side. Twilight continued to struggle trying to free herself from Ovan’s hold “He has to pay for his crimes but not like this not through senseless rampage…” Ovan looked at her straight in the eyes.

Looking at the stallion's eyes she saw a vivid reflection of herself,but what she saw wasn’t the same mare she always sees in the mirror. It was a monster, a monster posing as herself. Her eyes full of hate and desire to make Nova suffer, her desire and will to punish the stallion through death, she saw everything in her very own reflection. As she started to calm down, she was slowly feeling the strain on her body during her rampage. Ovan loosened his hold on the mare as he gently puts her down.

“Well that was a bore.” Nova snorted his discontent. “You just had to settle her down.” Nova stood up dusting off his coat. “Way to go…” he said flatly, brushing his messed-up mane back in order. He quickly paced himself and ran inside the forest, leaving the three as he makes his escape.

“Stay right here” Ovan told Twilight “I have some unfinished business with him.” He let go of the mare and quickly made pursuit.

Into the forest with his target in sight, Ovan sidestepped left and right dodging all obstacles in his way as he dashed through the thick forest.

“Can’t keep up Ovan?” Nova shouted blasting a lightning bolt spell from his horn towards Ovan.

“Shut up! I’ll chase you to the ends of Equestria if I must” Ovan ducking his head in time to evade the lightning bolt sent at him. Knowing that he can’t use his signature fire spells with the dense forest he remained defensive in his pursuit.

Nova soon slowed down and started to walk the moment they reached a familiar forest clearing with Ovan still following his trail. Nova soon stopped the moment he was beside the lake and Ovan also stopped but remained on guard. Ovan looked around the clearing felt a bit nostalgia lingering around the air. It was the same small lake in the center where he and his brother used to swim in and play. It was the same clearing that he and his brother stopped by to take a quick rest from their pursuers ten years ago. But that was all in the past, he thought. He shook his head and turned all his focus towards the unicorn in front of him.

“What are you planning with Twilight?” Ovan asked. “I know you can easily defend against attacks like that yet you purposely let yourself get beaten down. What’s your purpose?”

“Guilty as charged.” Nova smiled “True, I could defend against those attacks but I had something planned for her.” He paced around left and right in his statement. “Yet, I’m not the only devious pony around here, you’re quite the schemer too Ovan.” He pointed towards Ovan

“What are you talking about?” Ovan’s eyebrows crossed at the accusation.

“Don’t feign ignorance.” Nova strongly declared. “You pretended to be down with that feeble attack and watched me do what I want to Twilight; sacrificing the poor mare just to give light to some of my plans.” He smirked. “Don’t you think that’s a tad bit cruel?” A malicious smile loomed all over Nova’s face.

Ovan simply stood in silence in response, staring at the enemy in front him in full alert of every movement Nova makes.

“O come on, don’t give me that look.” Nova scoffed and chuckled at Ovan’s seriousness “We’re one and the same, like Yin and Yang. Polar opposites yet we must both exist. My origin is also the same as yours.”

“I don’t care if we ARE the same pony.” Ovan raised his voice emphasizing his vengeful tone. “You’re going to pay for what you did to my family and Fran’s village as well.” he drove his hoof steadily on the ground.

“Ah… the massacre last year. I don’t really remember the details but I’m sure I’ve stocked up some precious resources at that time. “He laughed out loud. “But sadly things must come to an end.” He turned his back on Ovan. “And that time is NOW!” he quickly turned back with his horn all charged up. Massive amount of water suddenly rose up and flooded the area where Ovan was standing, gushing everything in its path.

Ovan ducked and casted a blue colored barrier around shielding himself from the flood. The moment he brought the barrier down, Nova was already charging at him sending him straight into a tree behind him. Without giving him time to rest, Nova pinned two of his hooves on the tree.

A sinister smile painted on Nova’s face after he pinned down Ovan. His horn glowed an ominous dark blue shade and out of thin air, he conjured his signature rapier pointed at Ovan’s head. “I guess it’s time to end this charade.” Nova said in a deep dark tone.

Not to let Nova get the best of him, Ovan kicked Nova in the midsection tumbling the dark blue unicorn down. Nova retaliated by sending his conjured rapier straight to Ovan’s head. Ovan tilted his head in time to averting himself from the danger and quickly charged towards Nova. Nova quickly got up on his hooves and mimicked Ovan’s plan of attack. Both unicorns soon found themselves pushing one another with their horns crossing like swords.

Caught in a stalemate, neither unicorn backed down as they try to push one another. “This is a surprise…” Nova smirked. “But clearly we know who’s gonna win when it comes to shear strength.” Nova was starting to overpower his foe. Ovan’s knees were slowly getting weaker and weaker the more he resisted Nova’s force. Unable to further resist Nova’s sheer strength, Ovan quickly teleported himself a few yards back restarting their match back to square one.

Both unicorns paced themselves in a circular manner stalking each other waiting for one another to make their move. The silence of the night provided the perfect sound for their battle and the fullness of the moon hanging above the clear night sky was like the spotlight for their stage. The trees surrounding them acted as enclosure in their personal ring in the forest clearing. The warm humid night continues on as they start their round two.