• Published 11th Jun 2013
  • 1,791 Views, 99 Comments

The Changeling King - th3l0stch1ld



A short time before the changeling attack on Canterlot, Queen chrysalis was not alone in ruling the hive. This is the story of Amor, the former changeling king, and his journey from the hive.

  • ...
6
 99
 1,791

Restless Sleep

"Please, help me."

A lone changeling crawled up to the king. He was starved. His skin was pulled tight over his bones and his tail and mane were a tattered mess. He obviously hasnt eaten for a month, and at this point food wouldn't help him. It was too late for him.

"Please, my king, help me."

All Amor could do was look away. The whole hive was dying, and it was clear that anyone who was still alive was either on the brink of death or too far gone to help. Amor looked out the nearby window. The hive was littered with starved corpses, thrown to the floor and left to rot. Amor looked at himself. He was in no better condition then the small changeling before him. He tried to stand and fell to the floor, his legs too weak to hold him up. The changeling's voice started fading away.

"Please...help...me."

Amor looked at him. He was gone. his blue eyes were glazed with a milky film. Just then he heard a hard thud from behind him. He struggled to turn around, and when he finally saw what made the sickening noise, his heart stopped. Lying on the floor, eyes half closed and wings flatened on the ground, was Chrysalis.

"No. Not you. Not...now." That was all Amor could manage to say, for he was dying as well. His vision started to fade. Everything started to fog up. Before he passed on, he heard Chrysalis manage to say one thing.

"You caused this. We die...because of you."

Amor's eyes shot open faster than a changeling could beat it's wings. He sat up and started panting. Not again, he thought. He looked over at Chrysalis. She was sound alseep and made no noise. Cautiosly, Amor rose from the bed and walked over to the mirror. It is true, this is not the first time these nightmares have plagued his sleep. When he finally reached the mirror, he looked at himself. No bones, wings were fine, he wasn't starving yet. He looked at his crown across the room and his horn began to hum. The crown silently floated across the room to him and stopped within inches of his face. He studied it. A large, black crown, decorated with dark green gems. Instead of being tipped with them like Chrysalis's, they were molded into the ends and were much larger. He placed the crown atop his head. I hate wearing this thing, he thought. It makes me look so...stupid. Then, just as silently as he picked it up, he sent it back to its place on the nightstand. He looked at himself in the mirror one more time.

"What is wrong with me?" he whispered to himself. "I don't think like a changeling, I don't act like a changeling, and then theres this thing." he said as he looked at his cutie mark. "Maybe it means something." he whispered as he headed back to the bed.

As he sat on the bed, he heard Chrysalis stir. He stayed still hoping she wouldn't wake. Thankfully, she rolled over, and with a cute little sigh, she was motionless and still asleep. Amor quietly lied down in the bed and looked at Chrysalis. When he looked at her, he felt calm. His thoughts were no longer plagued with hunger or famine, just love. It's a shame we think so differently he thought. With these thoughts, Amor drifted back to a dreamless sleep.

He woke some time later just as the queen began to stir again. It was mid morning and the sun shown through the window. Chrysalis awoke and looked over at Amor. Instantly she could tell he had a good nights sleep.

"Good morning, my queen." he said as he rose. She smiled and replied.

"Good morning, Amor. You look as though you slept well."

"And I feel better." he replied.

He stood from the bed and multiple bones cracked throughout his body. First above his hooves, then his knees, up to his head, and finally his back. After he finally got situated and Chrysalis began to rise, he headed out the door.

"Wait." called Chrysalis.

Amor stopped in the doorway and looked back at the queen.

"Aren't you forgetting something?" she said as her horn began to hum and glow. His crown lifted from the table and floated across the room, landing atop his head. He used his magic to position it and turned to the queen.

"Thank you, Chrysalis." He then made his way out the door.