• Published 11th Jun 2013
  • 1,791 Views, 99 Comments

The Changeling King - th3l0stch1ld



A short time before the changeling attack on Canterlot, Queen chrysalis was not alone in ruling the hive. This is the story of Amor, the former changeling king, and his journey from the hive.

  • ...
6
 99
 1,791

Peaceful Dreams

Amor watched out his window as the sun dipped over the horizon and the moon rose. After today, it is time for a well-deserved rest. Amor collapsed in the bed, and immediately, he was asleep. Within a few hours, although they felt like moments to Amor, he started to dream. It was not the dream of the void, but the dream of him and Chrysalis, running and laughing in the field. After they had their share of fun, they were curled together under the large tree again, and Amor said the same thing he said last time.

“I wish this moment would last forever.”

“So do I, but you have to-“

“No. Don’t say it. Please, just a few more minutes together.”

“I’m sorry, Amor, but you have to wake up.”

Amor awoke slowly. He looked around the room, trying to make sure the events of yesterday really happened. When he finally was sure he was awake and not still dreaming, he rose from his bed, ready to begin his day. When he opened his door, he made his way towards the throne room, ready to prove himself. He didn’t notice Luna, who had also just awoken, follow him until she spoke up.

“She is raising the sun. It’s early, too early for me, actually.”

“Then why are you up?”

“I am up because you are up.”

Amor looked at her, puzzled by what she had just said.

“I’ll explain, please follow me.”

Amor followed Luna to the large dining room, where she took her seat at one of the smaller chairs, signaling Amor to sit across from her.

“As you know, I am the Princess of the Night. My power lets me travel through the dreams of others, controlling what happens, bringing happiness to whoever I choose. Last night, I chose you. I wanted to see what brought you happiness, and that dream from your past did it. Now I am certain, you mean us no harm. Sorry if I didn’t trust you.”

And that was when he finally noticed it. Luna didn’t give off her normal feeling of calmness, she gave off trust and…pity. And something very important hit him.

“Wait, if you can see into my dreams, do you know why I have been having these strange dreams all of a sudden?”

Luna was confused. She had no idea what Amor was talking about.

“I’m sorry, but you have not been in range of my dream spell until recently. My spell spreads dreams depending on the emotions of the person under effect, but I didn’t even know of your existence until recently. Could you explain these dreams?”

“It’s like some sort of recurring nightmare. I find myself in total darkness, unable to see anything but myself. I start out standing on a small platform, but when I move it is gone. I hear a strange voice that I had never heard until I started having these dreams. She told me to leave the hive, that it had something to do with my cutie mark, and recently, that it would be too dangerous to communicate. Then I end up being swallowed by a green flame.”

“Well, I cannot explain that dream. It sounds like someone is trying to communicate with you. But it sounds like they are afraid of me. That would be the only explanation of why it would be unsafe for her to communicate. I’ll keep watching your dreams to be sure though.”

“Thank you.”

On that note, Celestia entered the room.

“Well, you two are up early. Getting along well?”

“I guess we are.” Luna said in an upbeat tone.

“I can see us becoming good friends very soon.” Added Amor.

“That’s good to hear. Amor, you are to stand next to my throne today. If the people are going to get used to you, the easiest way would be to let them see how close I can get to you, let them see you aren’t dangerous.”

“Fair enough.”

“If you’re ready, let’s begin.”

“Alright, let’s go.”

The day was an uneventful one. Other than the occasional visitor coming in to marvel and gawk at Amor, nothing happened. He was happy with this, because it gave him time to think. If the princess of night and dreams doesn’t know who is talking to me, I might never find out. Maybe I’m not meant to, but one thing’s for sure, I need to find out why and eventually finish with this task put before me. I need to get traveling as soon as I can. Even if it means I will have to leave Canterlot.

The day went on and the moon rose. Amor was signaled by Celestia that the day was over and that he no longer had to sit next to her throne. The alicorn and changeling made their way to the dinner table just as Luna came in. There were no questions at dinner today, Amor just sat quietly and ate his meal. After dinner, Amor stood up from his seat and made his way out the door. After a quick shower, he was off to bed, finding himself having more peaceful dreams about Chrysalis.
This time Amor was walking Chrysalis down a small path, lined with trees on either side. As they walked, Chrysalis clung tight to him, and he put his wing over her back. Her head was against his neck as they walked. A small moment later, a thunderous boom broke through the silence, and it started to rain. Amor stretched his wing out wide and held it over Chrysalis’s head as they rushed for cover. They found it in the form of a small cave. As Amor sat at the mouth of the cave, Chrysalis once again rested her head on his neck, lying close to him.

“Amor.”

“Yes, Chrysalis?”

“I love you.”

“I love you too.”

They sat there until the storm stopped. The sun shone through the trees, hitting Amor’s and Chrysalis’s coats, making them shine in the light. His pleasant dream ended there. He woke again, but he knew what to expect today. Amor got up as the sun rose outside, showing its light through the window. As he exited his room, Luna doing the same, they made their way towards the throne room.

“Amor.”

“Yes, princess?”

“You truly love her, don’t you?”

“Of course I do. She brought me happiness.”

Not another word was spoken as they walked.