• Published 11th Jun 2013
  • 1,791 Views, 99 Comments

The Changeling King - th3l0stch1ld



A short time before the changeling attack on Canterlot, Queen chrysalis was not alone in ruling the hive. This is the story of Amor, the former changeling king, and his journey from the hive.

  • ...
6
 99
 1,791

Progress

The changelings went right back to work after the timberwolf was gone, but the guards stood, almost as if paralyzed, eyes locked on the king. Was this really the changeling king? This small being, who moments ago towered over a timberwolf, looking vicious enough to kill them all?

Amor, who was helping with the entrance, felt as if he was being watched. He turned to see the two pegasi, standing there, wide eyes locked on him. He slowly walked up to the guards and could tell they feared him.

“You two are thinking about it too hard. That was a one-time thing, because I don’t like transforming. You don’t need to worry about me, so stand guard.” The guards gave a shaky nod, and turned back to guard the working changelings. Amor headed into the hive, checking the progress of the changelings. He was amazed to see within two days, twenty changelings had made this hive half as big as the old one, but it was so…hollow. A huge, empty cave, with no buildings, no houses, no castle, nothing except the supports holding the roof up. The roof was coated with a green slime, produced by the changelings themselves. Over time, the coating will harden, making the roof stronger than stone, almost indestructible if it was kept under constant maintenance and repair. Amor walked to a group of changelings who were breaking through a wall in the cave, expanding the hive even more. He stopped them by calling out.

“You’re all doing great. This is big enough, so if you want to start with your housing, you may. Keep it at a standard size, not too big.” After coating the wall and ceiling, the changelings scattered, heading to the nearest opening on the stone ground. Boundaries were cut into the ground, twenty squares of an average size, with a huge opening against the back wall, where Amor headed. It was an opening five houses wide and ten long. Ten started building, the rest still working on the entrance. Amor started carving a giant outline in the stone using his magic. Everypony has their houses cut out, and they seem to be happy with the size. I want to build this castle, make it perfect, for Chrysalis. Amor wanted to start now, but a good king helps his people. Amor headed out to the changelings building their houses. He started out with the weaker and smaller of them, who were farther behind with their building. He noticed that Avispa and Escara were building nearby.

“Hey, you two know you are welcome in the castle if you would like.”

“We know. Thank you for the hospitality, but we would much rather build, live like the rest. You know, no special treatment.”

“Alright, the offer is still open if you would like. You two are very loyal, but if you want your own homes, I can’t stop you.”

Amor helped the changeling catch up with his building before leaving to help the next. He continued this process until all the outer shells were complete. Ten shells of houses, no interior yet, no floors, nothing yet. It was beginning to get dark so Amor gathered the workers and guards. When he exited, he looked over the cave. It represented a beehive, made of the same material used in cocoons, a dull green, almost blue color. Multiple exits were built, with one large ground door and multiple holes for mid-flight landings. It was perfect for keeping anything else out, and they wouldn’t have to worry about timberwolves anymore.

“A long day of hard work. Good job everypony. We should have the hive done within the month.” They all took flight for yet another night of sleep in canterlot.

Amor entered the dining hall, where Celestia, Luna, Chrysalis and Purity were seated. Amor took his seat between Celestia and Chrysalis, the same spot he always sat. Purity was sitting on the other side of Chrysalis, and Luna sat on the other end of the table. While they ate, conversations of the hive took place.

“So Amor, how was building today?” Celestia asked before she started eating.

Amor put his fork down. “We had a run-in with a timberwolf, but we scared it off and continued building.

“What happened?”

“It found the cave overnight and claimed it. I had to transform, but I scared it off. We went right back to building, starting with the entry. We’re working fast for twenty changelings.”

“How much longer will it be?”

“Maybe a month. The changelings have started on their houses. So far they have a weak outer shell for their homes, but they need to be reinforced. The cave ceiling should be done soon.”

“That’s good to here.”

Dinner went on as usual. Everyone ate and went to bed. The three changelings headed to the tower their rooms were in, and when Purity was put to bed, Amor and Chrysalis entered their room.

“How have your legs been latley?”

“I’m walking better. I can trot, I can walk, and I can fly if I need to run.”

“That’s good. You’re healing faster than I expected.”

“You’re not getting rid of me that easy.”

“I know, and you know I don’t want to.”

“I know, and that’s why I love you. You’re working hard from what I hear.”

“Yeah. I was thinking about letting the others have tomorrow off, three days nonstop seems like a bit much. What do you think?”

“It sounds like a good idea. Cielo needs to be with Sheol.”

“How has he been acting?”

“He’s an angel.”

Amor let out a chuckle. “An angel named Sheol. That’s irony if I’ve ever seen it.”

Amor lied down in the bed and pulled the blanket over himself. “It’s settled. They get tomorrow off.”

“Good, I get to spend the day with you.” Chrysalis gave Amor a kiss, and they drifted to sleep, dreams of a perfect future in their thoughts. Thoughts of spending the rest of their lives with each other, happy, loving, and at peace.