• Published 11th Jun 2013
  • 1,791 Views, 99 Comments

The Changeling King - th3l0stch1ld



A short time before the changeling attack on Canterlot, Queen chrysalis was not alone in ruling the hive. This is the story of Amor, the former changeling king, and his journey from the hive.

  • ...
6
 99
 1,791

Mistakes Are Made

With a fresh fill of love, Amor decided it would be best to leave Ponyville. For good.

“Between the threat of the elements and that thing, I’ll sooner take my chances with the timberwolves than return there.”

Amor walked on, still unsure of where his path would lead him. Would he find his answers? He found it best not to think about it. After hours of walking, Amor was hoofsore. He would need to find some place to rest, or risk attracting a predator.

“After last time, caves are strictly off limits.” He said to himself. “That doesn’t leave me many options, so I guess I’ll spend the night in the trees.”

With the rapid flapping of his wings and an insect-like buzz, Amor hovered around in the above trees. He would need to find something suitable to rest on. He finally found it after five minutes of searching. A wide branch that hung almost straight out. It was long enough to lie upon and low enough that if he fell in his sleep he wouldn’t suffer many injuries. It took him several minutes to get settled in, trying to find the most comfortable position. Finally, he gave up, rolled onto his back, and stared at the stars through a gap in the leaves.

“Somewhere, I bet Chrysalis is looking up at the same stars.”

He did his best not to think about the hive. But the one thing he yearned for most clung to his mind. Chrysalis. His one and only love. And when he thought about her, he remembered the work he put on her when he left.

“Well, this is just perfect. I’m trying to sleep on a tree branch, the hive is starving and possibly dying without me, and I left Chrysalis alone to feed them. Could this get any worse?”

Amor waited several seconds before letting out a heavy sigh.

“I guess not.”

When Amor finally adjusted to the transition from the soft ground to the hard bark of a tree, he drifted off to sleep. He had another one of his plentiful nightmares.

“You have been traveling very fast, much faster than I had expected. But soon, your next stop will be in sight, and will be slightly less…optional.”

“Optional? What do you mean?”

“You will find out soon enough. I will leave you with peaceful sleep for a few days. It is getting dangerous for us to communicate like this.”

“You’re making less and less sense. Where am I going?”

“You will learn soon enough. For now, rest.”

And it was over. There were no flames to swallow him, no burning, and no waking in a sweat. Amor slept the night away peacefully. He awoke slowly, hoping everything that had happened over the last few days was just a dream. He hoped he was in his bed, next to Chrysalis, waking to another normal day. He didn’t get what he hoped for.

“I expected as much.”

With four hooves hitting the ground heavily, Amor was off, but he was in no hurry. He walked with ease, taking in the beautiful scenery of the forest he was traveling through. After walking for several miles, Amor came across a pond. He was thirsty, for he hasn’t had anything to drink for several days. He dipped his mouth in the cool water and began drinking heavily. After he got his share, he began walking again, but was quickly stopped by what he heard next.

“NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!”

Amor stopped dead in his tracks. He knew that voice well. After all, it was the voice of his queen.

“Was that-“

Before he could finish his sentence, a large burst of magic sent him flying. He would have kept going, but luckily, or sadly, a tree stopped him. He hit the tree head first, and was quickly knocked unconscious.
For the first time since he could remember, Amor had sweet dreams. He dreamed that he was under a large tree with Chrysalis. They sat there curled together without a care in the world. No hunger, no famine, and no hive to worry about. There was not a sound other than the wind lightly blowing against the grass. Finally, Amor broke this silence.

“I wish this moment would last forever.”

Chrysalis looked up at him with her sweet green eyes.

“So do I, but you have to wake up.”

“Wake up? What do you mean?”

“I mean wake up.”

And like that, Amor was lying under the tree alone. Only, this was not the same tree in that peaceful field. This was the tree he crashed into earlier. His eyes opened slowly, and he was quickly welcomed from his slumber with a massive headache. Amor checked himself for any injuries. Miraculously, he was fine. No concussion, no broken bones, just a lot of bruises and a pounding head. He would have to deal with that for now, because he had other things on his mind.
“Was that really Chrysalis? What would she be doing way out here? And what was that blast? It wasn’t nearly powerful enough to be the Elements of Harmony, but still, that was one of the most powerful things I had ever felt. It was like… like the strength of a shield mixed with the outward push of a fired spell.”

After thinking about the whole incident for a few minutes, Amor passed the voice of his queen off as his imagination.

“Great, on top of being thrown against a tree and having this headache, I’m going crazy. Well this trip is starting to pay off. Guess I should probably get-“

“You! Stop right there!”

Before Amor could even respond to the demand, three royal guards were atop of him.

“Quickly, hold it down while I cast the spell!”

As the three guards held Amor to the ground, the forth, a unicorn, walked up to him, his horn glowing blue.

“Oh no you don’t!”

Amor’s own horn began to glow and hum. But before he could cast his spell, the unicorn released his upon Amor, and just like that, Amor’s horn calmed. He was unable to cast any spells.
“You are now under arrest and are to be tried by Princess Celestia for the invasion of Canterlot. You are to be bound and led back to the city at this point.”
“What are you talking about? I wasn’t in Canterlot you simple minded fool!”
“Nice try, but you’re coming with us.”