• Published 11th Jun 2013
  • 1,791 Views, 99 Comments

The Changeling King - th3l0stch1ld



A short time before the changeling attack on Canterlot, Queen chrysalis was not alone in ruling the hive. This is the story of Amor, the former changeling king, and his journey from the hive.

  • ...
6
 99
 1,791

Time of Healing

Amor sat in his bed all week. He didn’t care about the injuries. He didn’t care that he was bedridden. He was spending a whole week at Chrysalis’s side. She would help him eat while he gained his strength. No matter how much Amor asked her to leave, she never left his side.

“Chrysalis, you don’t need to spend the whole week at my side. You can go if you want.”

“But I don’t want to.” She put her head on Amor’s chest. “I want to stay with you.”

“But you must grow tired of staying here, doing nothing, don’t you?”

“Of course not. I love being with you.”

Chrysalis never left Amor’s side. Amor had her eat part of his meals so she wouldn’t starve. She left for moments at a time, only to use the restroom, but was back immediately. After two days, the doctor had Amor start walking. When he rose from the bed, he found it extremely difficult to stand. He sat on the edge of the bed, Chrysalis standing beside him. When he rose, his legs were not used to walking after so long, so he began falling. In his panic, he threw his front left leg to the ground hard to stabilize himself. All he got in return was an unbearable pain all the way up his leg. He began to fall over, but Chrysalis stopped him. He nearly knocked her over, but she held her ground, even with the king putting his weight into her.

It took a few tries, but after five minutes Amor was able to stand on his own. He began to slowly limp down the hall, his front leg lifted off the ground. He wanted to fly up and down the halls, but his wings were still numb, always the last thing to regain their feeling, and after lying on them for a month, they weren’t going to regain their senses for some time now.

Day two of walking and Amor was moving faster. He was now able to flap his wings, but very slowly, at half the speed a pegasus would need to fly, which is nowhere close to the speed a changeling would need. Today Amor had his bandages changed. When they removed the one on his shoulder, Amor turned his head to see. His shoulder was swollen, a huge scar beginning to form over it. The bandage was caked in dry blood.

Amor looked at the doctor who was changing the bandage. “You…did check me for diseases, right?”

“Of course. These were some bad injuries, and they were caused by a wild animal. We had to check you for rabies, lockjaw, anything.”

“And did I have anything?”

“Nothing. Amazingly, none of the wounds were infected, and you had no diseases.”

The doctor applied a fresh bandage to his shoulder, and began removing the one from his back. This one was the same, but with far more marks. This bandage had less blood on it, but when Amor saw his back, he noticed many more claw marks and openings.

“You got lucky with this one. None of these marks were deep enough to leave scars.”

“It doesn’t matter anyways. Changelings don’t scar easy.”

The doctor only smiled as he replaced the bandage. Finally, the one around his neck.

“Sit up and hold still please.”

Amor did as instructed, and the doctor carefully removed the bandage. Even with the bandage off, Amor’s neck felt as if it were tightly wrapped. The doctor carefully placed the fresh bandage around his neck, making sure it wasn’t too tight. Amor lied back into the bed, as the doctor cleaned up.

When the doctor was finally done, Chrysalis, who was waiting in the doorway, walked into the room.

“So how is it?”

“Nothing major, it will disappear in time.”

“That’s good.”

“Three more days.”

“And we return to the hive.”

Chrysalis kissed Amor before sinking back in her chair for the night.

Day three and Amor was still getting faster when he walked. His limp was at the speed of a trot, and his wings were starting to beat faster. Soon enough he would be able to fly if the time came. He made it a habit to beat his wings as he walked, a constant, yet weak beat. All that was heard was wind every half second, instead of the constant buzzing.
Day four and Amor had an almost perfect gait, but he still had to keep his front leg up. Celestia showed up today to see how he was.

“May I come in?”

“Of course, princess. May I ask to what we owe the visit?”

“Just came to see how you were holding up. I heard you were healing quite well.”

“Yes, I am able to walk pretty well.”

“That is good to hear. How many more days is it? Two?”

“Including today, yes. I’ll be out tomorrow at this rate.”

“That’s good. I’m sure the hive misses you two.”

“Meh. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but they seem to be fine for now.”

Celestia smiled. “Take all the time you need to heal.”

“Thank you. I will.”

Celestia then looked at Chrysalis, who was sitting at Amor’s side. “And I am happy to see you stay at his side.”

Celestia left the room and headed back to her castle. When she cleared the door, Chrysalis put her head on Amor again. “She grows on you. It’s no wonder her people love her so much.”

Amor put his hoof on her head. “She means well. She doesn’t want to hurt anyone, but she will protect friends, family, and her subjects.”

Chrysalis had a disgruntled look on her face. “I know. I was on the receiving end of her wrath.”

“Mmmhh. Sorry I brought it up.”

“It’s okay. It’s getting late, you should get some sleep.”

“You’re right. Good night, Chrysalis.”

“Good night, Amor,” she said as she nuzzled into his coat.

Amor turned to the bed beside his. “Good night, Souls.”

“Good night, my king.”

The room fell quiet as the lights went dim. Amor heard a light sigh from Chrysalis, meaning she was asleep. From somewhere beside him, he heard another sigh and what sounded like someone rolling over. Amor came to the conclusion that he was the only one still awake. He sat there in his bed, toying with Chrysalis’s hair. He found it hard to sleep at times, and this was one of those times. He looked up at the blank ceiling. Does the hive need me anymore? Does it need us? Purity seems to have everything under control. Maybe it is time I retire. Amor sat the rest of the night until he dozed off, his leg around Chrysalis.