• Published 11th Jun 2013
  • 1,790 Views, 99 Comments

The Changeling King - th3l0stch1ld



A short time before the changeling attack on Canterlot, Queen chrysalis was not alone in ruling the hive. This is the story of Amor, the former changeling king, and his journey from the hive.

  • ...
6
 99
 1,790

The Pain of Love

The night was no better than beforehand. As soon as Amor hit the bed, he was asleep, but to say he stayed asleep would be a lie. He didn’t dream, and he was only sleeping lightly. He awoke in the middle of the night at the sound of Chrysalis breathing heavily again. His eyes crept open. Was he imagining it? He soon realized how real it was when Chrysalis started flailing. She was sweating, but he couldn’t tell if it was in pain or fear. Amor panicked, and when he panicked, his mind went into worse case scenario.

“What can I do, what can I do! If I pin her, she will only end up hurting herself. Paralysis? No, she would hurt herself even more straining against it.” Amor was running out of options. “What would a mind control spell do? Sure it will calm her momentarily, but…” he sighed. “I have no other options.” Again a beam of energy from Amor’s horn hit Chrysalis’s head. She began breathing slower, calming down. Her legs would twitch, as if pulling away from a hot surface. Amor pulled the blanket over her once more before crawling into bed beside her, whispering into her ear. “Calm, my love. Forget the pain, forget my memories. Listen to my voice, listen to me speak, and think of nothing else. Relax. Relax.” Amor was never good at singing, or rhyming, but whatever he did seemed to work. Chrysalis stopped moving, her breathing was normal, and she stopped sweating. Amor dampened the rag again and placed it back on her head. What was that? Was she dreaming? Was she feeling actual pain? Maybe she was reliving my memories in her sleep. One thing’s for sure, I do not want to deal with that again. But I know I will.
Sure enough, every time Amor would start to drift back to sleep, he would hear her breathing begin to speed. Luckily, none of the other events were as serious as the first one. All it took was a whisper in her ear to slow her breathing. Finally, around three in the morning, Amor fell asleep and Chrysalis didn’t have another fit. Waking at eight, with only five hours of sleep, Amor didn’t want to get up. He lied there in bed for what felt like hours before even sitting up. He turned to Chrysalis, who was still asleep. Amor put a hoof to her head, which was still warm.

“Don’t ever do that to yourself again.” At the sound, Chrysalis rolled over , her hoof prodding for Amor, so he scooted closer. She wrapped her hooves around him unknowingly, letting out a sigh of comfort. “What am I going to do with you?” As if she heard him, she nuzzled into his neck like a pillow. Amor wrapped the blanket around them and put his hooves around her. He dug his face into her hair and closed his eyes. “This is nice.” Even asleep, she found ways to comfort him. “Please don’t hurt yourself for my sake.”

Almost an hour later, Chrysalis woke, but of course it wasn’t so simple. As Amor sat with Chrysalis on top of him, she began breathing heavy again. She tossed and turned and Amor unwrapped his hooves from her. Her front left leg began twitching, and eventually it shot straight out, hitting Amor in the same leg. He felt a sharp pain and wanted to scream, but held his breath as he wrapped his right hoof around her. Finally, her eyes, filled with tears, shot open as she sat up, sweating and breathing heavy.

“Heyheyhey, calm down, you’re safe.” He levitated the glass of water in front of her. “Here, drink some water.” Chrysalis cupped her hooves around the glass and gulped down the whole glass without stopping. Amor wiped the tears from her eyes. “You’re safe. I’m here.” She fell back down, weeping into Amor’s neck.

“I’m so sorry. I had no idea what you went through.”

“It’s okay, it’s over now. Please, please promise you will NEVER do that again. Never do I want you to feel my pain, not like that. I don’t want to see you like that again.” Chrysalis put her face deeper into Amor’s neck. She began sobbing, muffled by his fur. Amor wrapped his hooves around her again. “Let it out, it’s okay. I’m here for you, no matter what happens.” He dug his muzzle deep into her hair and let out a heavy sigh, making it warm. Tears ran down Amor’s now wet neck, just below the bandages. He pulled her closer, trying to comfort her. Chrysalis finally calmed down enough to speak, although her voice was shaky. She lifted her head from Amor’s neck.

“How?”

Amor picked his head up out of her hair. “How, what?”

“How did you live with so much pain?”

Amor thought for a moment. “I don’t know, really. If I had to guess, one main reason kept me going.”

“And what was that?”

“Knowing that if I gave up, I would never see you again.” Chrysalis smiled and put her head down, resting her temple on his chest. “Please tell me your fits are over.”

“I cannot tell for sure, but I think we are done for now.”

“Good. It killed me to see you in such pain.”

“And it killed me to know you felt such pain.” Amor placed his head back into her hair and again let out a breath of warm air. “Mmh, that felt good. Do it again.” Amor took a deep breath and exhaled a burst of warm air through her hair as she huddled closer to him and closed her eyes. It did feel good. Her warm hair covering his face, he liked the way it felt. Closing his eyes, he hugged Chrysalis tighter, she doing the same. “I don’t want this moment to end.”

“Neither do I, but all things will end eventually, so let’s stay like this as long as we can.”