• Published 4th Jun 2013
  • 8,095 Views, 175 Comments

A New World, A Fresh Start - drnkntst



Rick has been alone for over a year, now he finds himself in a new land with new friends.

  • ...
38
 175
 8,095

Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Rick took a deep breath as he looked at the photo one more time. The photo of his wife, Hanna, and his daughter, Annie, was all he had left of them. One year ago today, the pair died in a plane crash. Since that day, Rick had lost the will to go on. He just couldn’t bear another day without his family.

The unfinished bridge before him beckoned to him on that rainy night. The half empty whiskey bottle helped make that call even louder. “Fuck it,” Rick said with determination in his voice and a tear in his eye. He gunned the engine in his Chevy, let off the brake and closed his eyes. Rick’s truck collided with the barrier and he soared into oblivion, soared to meet his family on the other side.

It didn’t take long for it to dawn on Rick that there was a surprising lack of splintering wood and crushing metal. He opened his eyes to see he was barreling toward a fenced in grove of trees along a dirt road. Rick swore and slammed on the brakes to avoid the fence… too late. Rick had torn out a good ten yards of fencing.

Rick swore again and backed off the fence. He knew there would be little damage to his truck thanks to the steel bars on front. Not that he cared anyway, he had, after all, just tried to end it all. Slowly it dawned on Rick, the sobering realization that not only was there no trees a second ago, but there was rain and it certainly wasn’t noon.

Rick chalked it up to the whiskey and shrugged it off as best he could. He knew he had to find whoever owned this farm and make amends. Just because he was done with life didn’t mean he had to make it harder on anyone else.

He looked for signs of life, finding none; he picked a direction and started to drive. It didn’t take long to find a large red barn. Rick pulled up to barn, parked and started to look around. “Anybody here?!” Rick shouted hearing no reply. Rick thought it was strange that there also seemed to be no signs of any equipment of any kind.

“HELP!” came a cry from the woods. Rick ran towards the plea without hesitation. His daughter’s face came into focus in his mind because of the feminine nature of the voice and he ran faster.
“I’m coming!” Rick yelled pushing himself beyond his limits as his imagination kept flashing horrible images of Annie being attacked by wild animals.

He crashed out of some bushes into a small clearing and quickly surveyed the area. Rick saw no girl but instead a small horse and what looked like a large wolf approaching it. Normally, Rick would have chalked it up to nature taking its course, but he knew this little foal had to be the screaming girls pet due to the big pink bow in its red mane. Again, Annie popped into his head crying over the body of her puppy that ran into the street one afternoon and… Rick no longer thought, his body moved on its own.

Rick exploded out of the bushes and sprinted toward the foal. He scooped up the tiny horse just as the wolf lunged at it. He felt the wolf narrowly miss them both. He rolled once, sprung back to his feet, tucked the foal into his jacket and ran as fast as humanly possible. Rick dove through briars and hurdled shrubs. He weaved between trees and ducked under vines. Rick ran as fast as he could to the only possibility of help he could think of, the farm.

No matter how fast Rick ran, he could hear the wolf right behind him. He had sapped all of his strength but, there it was, salvation. Rick could see the barn through the trees. “HELP! WOLF!” Rick cried out. This time Rick could hear voices.

“It came frum over here! C’mon ya’ll!”

Suddenly, Rick’s salvation was snatched away from him. The wolf that had chased him all this way had not only caught up with him, but had overtaken him. Now standing in front of him, Rick could see; this was no normal wolf. It was almost as if the wolf was made of…wood? Of course, this was a secondary thought. Rick’s main thought was “damnit, damnit, damnit…”

The wolf was getting ready to lunge at Rick and the foal he had hidden in his jacket. Rick could feel it trembling in fear. “No, I won’t let this happen, somehow.” The wolf sprung forward at the pair. Rick tucked and rolled. He felt the tear down his back as the wolf launched past them and smashed into a tree behind where Rick had just been standing.

“Huh, it really smashed too, guess it was made of wood. How you doing?” this was said to the foal as he opened his jacket.

“I’m just fine mister, thanks ta you.” It was at this point that Rick’s brain gave up. Rick collapsed into blackness from a combination of pain, fatigue and shock, but mostly from the blood loss.

Chapter 2

“…saved ma life!” a muffled voice from an unseen speaker drifted into Ricks range of hearing. Slowly, the world started to fade into view. Rick could hear more voices, but couldn’t see anyone around. Rick could feel the sparse warmth of the sun on his face and body along with a faint cool breeze across his chest.

Well, I’m not dead. Too bad. Now I only have to figure out what’s going on and where the hell I am.” Rick opened his eyes and looked around. As things slowly came into focus, he could tell two things; one, he was in a barn, two, pain. Lots and lots of pain. Rick tried to sit up but his movements were impeded by tight bandaging around his chest. “Well, they didn’t want me dead,” Rick thought to himself.

“…can’t trust…!”

“…get him outa here!”

“He saved ma life!”

I’ve been wrong before,” Rick thought. He didn’t recognize most of the voices, but that last one sounded like that horse…horse? Sudden realization struck Rick, “I saved a talking horse.” Rick immediately dismissed the idea as a combination of whiskey, fear and fatigue.

From what Rick could gather, the voices’ unseen owners were trying to figure out if they should help him or drive him out of town. “Wait, don’t I have a say in this?”

Rick forced himself to stand and he slowly made his way to the barn doors. Rick was temporarily blinded by the sun as he opened the door. He could hear the cessation of the conversation and then felt something small bump his leg. Finally, sight returned to Rick.

“Hey, you’re that little foal from the woods. Glad to see you made it unharmed at least. Where are the people who patched me up? I need to thank them.”

“What are ‘people’?” Rick heard the question, but couldn’t see the speaker.

“Now, don’t be shy. Come on out. I ain’t gonna hurt anyone. I just wanted to thank the ones who took care of me, pay for the damage to the fence and be on my way.” Rick wondered why the owners of this farm would let their horses…make that ponies, too small to be horses, roam free around the property. Also, why had their fur been dyed?

“Wait, ya broke ma fence?!” Again, Rick heard the voice but could not find the speaker.

“Yes. I am terribly sorry about that. I lost control of my truck and ran into the fence down the road. I came up here to try to make it right but was distracted by the …wolf.” Rick’s blood ran cold and the color drained from his face. “Wait a second; did I really take on a wolf?”

“Ya sure did!” said an excited voice from somewhere near and low, “and ya whooped it good too!” Rick looked down at the little foal on his leg again. Rick leaned down and picked up the little thing.

“Ain’t you cute?” Rick said to the pony in his hands. Then he looked at the orange one that, for some reason, had a hat, Stetson from the look of it, on its head and a hair tie in its long mane and tail. The larger one was red and had on an old fashioned horse collar. They were getting closer and didn’t look happy.

“Ya should probably put me down now mister,” came a voice from Rick’s arms.

Realization dawned. “Aaaahh!!” Rick screamed as he threw the small pony in an effort to get away from it as fast as possible. The red pony caught her. Rick looked from one to the other, his brain just gave up at this point and his feet took over. Rick ran as fast as he could away from the nightmare. Every step was agony but he had to get away from the madness. Too late, he realized he left his truck behind. No way in hell was he going back for it now.

I gotta get outta here! There has to be someone around here who can help! I need to find someone, anyone, just get to help!” The only thing on Rick’s mind right now was escape. He didn’t know how those ponies were talking, nor did he care. His brain had room for only one thing, run.

Rick didn’t want to go into the forest, even though he knew he could hide from those ponies in there, he also knew there were weird wolves in there. He ran as fast as he could, ignoring the exhaustion and the pain. Rick stuck close to the forest so he could dive in at any point, after all, no human could outrun a horse in an open field.

Finally, Rick came around a corner to find a tree with… windows? “Whatever, I’ll take what I can get.” Rick ran to the door, pounding on it, begging for help. There was no response. Rick was too tired to go any further. There has to be someone living here, the garden is too nicely kept and the bridge over the little creek showed no signs of rot or decay. Rick crawled to a nearby tree, propped himself against it and let the blackness overtake him.

Chapter 3

“Um, h-hello?” a soft voice stirred Rick from his post marathon slumber.

“Huh?” Rick blinked away the dark and allowed the world to come into focus. He tried to look around, but could make out nothing. He could however, feel. Something soft and small was in his open right hand.

“Hun, was that you little bunny buddy?” Rick asked the white rabbit in his hand.

“N-no, it was me,” came that same soft voice. “Angel can’t speak. Can you tell me who you are? Oh, if that’s alright with you.

“Of course it’s alright, I am trespassing after all. My name is Rick Rhinestone. What’s your name, if I may ask?” Rick could still see nobody, even now that his vision had cleared. “Hmm, that sure is a cute little pony. I never saw one with pink hair and yellow… fur… Oh shit.”

“My name is… Fluttershy. Wh-where did you come from, Rick?” There was no mistaking it, that pony just talked!

“Aaaagh!” Rick screamed.

“Eeep!” was the reply from the pony as the little rabbit ran away. Rick scrambled to his feet as fast as he could and ran…again. It didn’t matter that the pony also ran, in the opposite direction.
Rick ran down the little road that lead away from the tree… cabin… house… thing. He ran as hard as he could on legs that burned and ribs that squeezed and lungs that were on the verge of exploding. At least it all took away from the painful tears across his back from the wolf. Wait, was that a town ahead? Buildings, roads, manicured fields and gardens, it’s a town alright.
Thank you, Go… wait a second. What if this is town of those talking pony monsters? I have to be smart about this.” Rick crept up to the nearest building. He kept low and too the shadows. He had never been in the military, but he the basics of not being seen. Rick snuck down an alley and hid behind a bush at the end.

“I don’t see anyone. Wait; there are some ponies over there. There don’t seem to be any other animals, aside from the occasional bird, certainly no humans. I must have gone crazy. All I see are talking ponies.” Rick whispered to himself.

“Me too,” came another whisper.

“Now I’m hearing voices.”

“Me too.”

“I hate to ask but, you’re not in my head are you?” Rick asked the unseen voice’s owner.

“Nope.” Well, at least it was cheerful. “You’re not from around here are you? I know you’re not, because I know everypony in Ponyville.” The voice continued at extreme speed.

Ponyville?” Rick worked up the courage to finally face the speaker. “That… is a lot of pink.”