• Published 4th Jun 2013
  • 8,069 Views, 175 Comments

A New World, A Fresh Start - drnkntst



Rick has been alone for over a year, now he finds himself in a new land with new friends.

  • ...
38
 175
 8,069

Preview

Thank you all for reading. If you liked it, then I'm happy. If you didn't, I did my best damn it. If you hated, oh well, I'll still love and tolerate you.

Fear not, Rick will return. Look forward to "Home Again" I've been told "A New World, A Fresh Start" came off as rushed, so I will take more time to write "Home Again" to prevent that in the future. For now, enjoy this preview chapter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 1

Bright light filled Rick's eyes. Even raising a hand to shield them did no good. The last thing he remembered was a monstrously huge bear about to do its best to turn Rick inside out.

"Where am I? What happened?" He got to his feet, that is, he would have if there was even a ground to stand on. He realized he was floating in a type of limbo. No up, no down, there was even an echo. His words just seemed to… cease, not swallowed or erased but just gone. He knew he was talking and he heard his words, but that was it.

"Well, to answer your first question," a voice form his past started, "you are between worlds. And to answer your second question, you got yourself killed."

Rick spun quickly and dropped his jaw. His eyes grew to the point of hurting, "Hanna? Annie?"

"We sent you to that world because you deserved happiness. When we died, you shut down your heart. After everything you did for us when we were alive, you deserved to better. Annie and I decided you needed to go to a place where a warm heart like yours is cherished."

"Hanna, Annie!" Rick floated toward his long dead wife and daughter. He spread his arms wide to embrace them. There was no contact, he drifted right through them.

"We aren't here, Daddy. We are in heaven with Grandma and Grandpa."

Hanna patted Annie on top of her red hair. "That's right; we are in a different world. But it's not your time. You are going to be sent back to live your life with your new family."

Rick felt crestfallen; he suddenly thought he had betrayed his lost human family. "B-But I want to be with you."

"You can't, as I've said, it's not your time." Hanna's ghostly hand hovered over his cheek.

For a moment, Rick thought he would give anything to spend the rest of eternity just like that, when suddenly, a cloud appeared before him. Across the center of the cloud appeared his pony friends. Twilight was in a hospital bed, while the princesses, Shining Armor and the five other ponies Rick came to know and think of as family were also in the room.

He could see that Twilight was yelling at her brother. "What's going on? Why is she so mad?"

"Shining Armor has just told her about your sacrifice. She blames him for your death."

Rick looked closer, he saw Twilight's horn flare, a jug nearly smashed into Shining, and all the things in the room float up to follow suit. "But I told him to leave; He had to in order to save her."

"It doesn't matter, right now Twilight is so hurt that she just needs to blame someone, it doesn't matter who. You mean so much to her and all these other ponies even though you were only there for such a short time."

Rick gave in, "okay, I'll go back."

"Very good. You will be sent back and changed to better fit in." Hanna wrapped him in a spiritual hug.

"I just have one question before I go, why a world of talking ponies? Not that I'm complaining or anything, I like it there, a lot. I'm just a little confused."

"That was my idea, Daddy," Annie chimed in.

"I should have known. Where did you come up with the idea, Sweetie?"

He could see his daughter try to answer, but there was no sound. Hanna and Annie were beginning to fade.

"No! I want more time! I need to be with you! Don't go, don't leave me again!" He tried to reach out for them, but there was nothing there. He was enveloped in a blinding white light again. When the light faded, he heard birds chirping and felt a breeze on his cheek. He lowered his hand and opened his eyes. He was shocked to find he had lost all the fingers on the hand in front of him. He was even more shocked when he raised his other hand and fell face first into the grass.

"Oh yeah, 'changed to better fit in,' this is going to take some getting used to.

Comments ( 55 )

Looking forward to it :D


2692853 I will be careful. I don't want this to become a clopfic. I have nothing against them, I just don't want to write one.

are u splitting the story? or am i just looking for the next chap.:unsuresweetie:

2694450 It will be a sequel. Rick as a human is done, But Rick is alive still... again... Rick's back.:eeyup:

2694743 sweet. so when can i expect the turn-out date? also im sensing a little ricktwi in the mix. eh?

How this story turned out it could end into a full blown harem lol.
All of the mane six like him aswell as Celestia and Luna.
And perhaps he will get transformed into an alicorn later on. With him having all the aspects of harmony.

2697301 It is a possibility. :trixieshiftright:As I said, We will have to see where the story takes me. I certainly want more characters from the show.
*Spoiler* I'm working on Zecora right now.

A very nice story, filled with love, compassion, kindness; wonderfully done.
So where's the sequel? Done yet? Huh? Huh? Huh? :twilightsmile:

2723909 The sequel, "Home Again," is a work in progress:pinkiehappy:

2729885 - WORK FASTER!! :flutterrage:

*ahem*, I mean, "ooh, can't wait!" :twilightsmile:

2732855 there are two chapters already:fluttercry:

2999849 Oh I know, it's still a usable saying to people who think that meat is murder but eat eggs.

3265529 I know, :applecry: I caught it late but am going thru to fix the story.

3275990 because they aren't parrots and shouldn't be bright colors let alone talk

3311726 yeah that or they're pussies

I'm only the first few chapters in, and I've run into every single HiE cliché so far. Every. Single. One.

Welp, not faving.

3396079 That's okay. You can't please everybody.:fluttercry: I would suggest Memory Pending or For Lack of a Better Word. Both are well written and thought out. Take care.

I am :heart:ing the story right now, but the grammatical error

"thanks for letting me stay, I make you regret it"

remains one of the more amusing grammar errors I seen in a long time. It sounds a bit odd considering the circumstances. I don't know if you fixed it yet considering the copy on my Nook was downloaded ages ago.

It didn't hurt the enjoyment factor at all and oddly enough made me like it even more. Good job messing up and making me laugh. That isn't sarcasm but a poorly worded compliment :pinkiecrazy: Just take my like and favorite. I don't care if it is cliche.... good job

3591224 I glad you like it. :twilightsheepish: I don't know if I fixed it yet or not. :derpyderp1:If you remember which chapter it was in, I will check.

3591232

It was around Chapter 10. It made me laugh a little. :rainbowhuh: If that was the case, he doesn't seem very thankful :rainbowlaugh: but yeah, funny story and highly enjoyable.... I like everything just not the truly dark stuff killing the Mares I love..... I am easy to please as well :pinkiecrazy:

Just, when you mess up, at least for the next time, try not to have a contradictory one. :pinkiecrazy:

I don't know if there is a reason, but you also seem to have a double chapter of the same content :twilightoops: Bit disconcerting, but if there was no extra content, you might want to delete that extra chapter between post Chapter 10 :pinkiehappy:

I hope you can translate that as it is rather late and though I should be asleep, I am reading this story :twilightsheepish: Or you can just call it chapter 11 :pinkiecrazy:

3591243that was fixed. I started on fanfiction. Net before coming here and messed up a little. :derpytongue2: it made me feel brilliant.

Have you tried submitting this to Equestria Daily? I think is to awesome not to be accepted!

3600294 I haven't, I wouldn't even know how.:rainbowhuh:

3733072 I understand your concern. The point I was trying to make was that shape, origin, race nor anything else means nothing. All that really matters is that you love and care for one another. Much in the same way your closest friends can be considered family.

4041609 For what it's worth you have my sympathies.:heart:

Comment posted by alejin deleted Mar 27th, 2014

OH LOOKIE! I found another HiE to read. Imma fav it and read it when I can. I'll let you know what I think :twilightsmile::twilightsmile::twilightsmile:

3600294 Sadly (even tho this comment is old I'm gonna say it anyway) I know from experience it wont get in because my stories were shot down for being HiE in general. Seems EQD just doesn't want to accept this genre anymore. Actually do to that fact they have a lot of hate on them now from fanfiction sites.

4322865 Considering HiE makes up most of the fanfics, I'm not surprised people are pissed.

4322953 It's because most people believe that they can make an amazing story out of nothing. I'm not saying that some people may not have natural talent but... most of the time everyone starts with an HiE because they feel it's the easiest. In theory... yes it is. Send him to Equestria, blah blah done. But what truly makes up a story is what you can make out of your story that makes it stand out from the others. the only problem is with the vast number of HiE's it can sometimes be hard to find a good story that's maybe not well ranked because it's ignored and passed off as another attempt.

But still... they could at least accept them instead of just stopping all together,

23# hummm and lol :heart::heart::heart::heart::fluttershysad::fluttercry::fluttercry:

Great story sad but great had tears in the epilogue (this is the first story to ever achieve that for me) :fluttercry:

Comment posted by TGbrony deleted Aug 19th, 2014

found this song and I think it fits this story perfectly

4873440 I'm glad you enjoyed it:pinkiehappy:

4877283 there's one or two in 'Home Again'

5568940 I'll admit it's a flaw, but most trucks can get up to 300 miles on a full tank.

6488602 ...and a vegetarian who painted quite well and didn't match his own ideals. He was obsessed with German superiority.

overall i loved it. and the transition into pony form was new, at least to me. other si read have been pony form from start or a requirement to stay in equestria.(plus 1 where the pony body was needed to save the human life and he then went to live in equestria)

6667672 I try to keep it original:pinkiehappy:

6668987 always a plus when writing, hopefully you weren't too put off by my first comment. ^.^ loving your works

6669107 You're entitled to your own opinions and to like or dislike anything that suits you. The fact that you continued to read despite not liking something means you maintain my respect and love. :yay:

6789556 Keep reading, he changes

I am finding this a interesting story.
I know this is your first story and I am watching how you drnkntst progress in your righting.
I have a reason for all of this as I am looking for a author for a story.

ok I know this is your first story witch I find a vary good story, I am finding in interesting as how much you have improved in just the one story witch I will be reading the next 2 in this story ark.
agene this is a good story.

Login or register to comment