• Published 4th Jun 2013
  • 8,086 Views, 175 Comments

A New World, A Fresh Start - drnkntst



Rick has been alone for over a year, now he finds himself in a new land with new friends.

  • ...
38
 175
 8,086

Chapter 19

Chapter 50

The next morning, they all enjoyed a nice breakfast of pancakes topped with crystal berries, which were a lot softer than the name suggested, apples and delicious pastries. Rick was looking forward to the royal guided tour, even though they decided it would be better to walk than put everyone into a panic over his truck.

The tour started with a brief history lesson. The story of the evil unicorn know as King Sombra surprised Rick. He didn’t think there could be such evil in Equestria. A pony that enslaved the ponies of the empire and even cursed the land into the ether for a thousand years when he was banished to the frozen wasteland.

He surprised the ponies more by telling them that such evil exists in many places on Earth throughout history. The Roman Empire salted the earth when they conquered a nation. General Sherman burned crops and cities and not only tore up railroads but even wrapped the rails around trees to make them useless forever. The ponies were especially horrified when he told them about a certain German man from the 1930’s and 40’s.

“I never realized humans could be so… cruel.” Twilight said after hearing the stories. “How did you manage to be so kind and gentle when there is so much evil in your world?”

“Because they were the exception, not the rule. Most people are good, honest and hard-working. The problem is too many are too afraid or incapable to stand up for themselves. The bad people take advantage of this and that’s the only reason they have power over anyone.”

“I see, well then I guess we’re lucky you came here instead of one of those humans.” Cadence said.

“Hey, enough of this depressing stuff,” Shining interjected. “We’ve got a city to see.” Everyone around the table gladly agreed and finished eating and headed out.

First stop was the library. Massive didn’t even begin to do credit. The architecture was just as beautiful as the palace’s with multiple levels and stacks loaded to the brim with books. Rick couldn’t even see the end of the main room. He knew Twilight would just love to spend all day in here.

He turned to the ponies, “this place is… are you okay, Twilight?” She was spinning in stumbled circles with a huge smile and stars in her eyes. “I should have guessed.” Rick scooped up Twilight, “where to now?”

Cadence and Shining laughed, “how about the training grounds,” Shining suggested.

“Lead the way kind sir.”

Shortly after leaving the library, Twilight regained her senses. “There you are. I thought we lost you for a second there.” Rick joked. Cadence and Shining were laughing.

Twilight blushed when she realized she was being carried, the fact that it was princess style didn’t help matters. “You can… put me down now.” Her blush intensified when Paul licked her face after she had her hooves down on the ground.

Soon, they reached the training grounds. Shining made it apparent that the grounds were his pride and joy. To Rick, it seemed like the kind of track you might see at just about any high school, only far more stylized. Well-trimmed foliage and new equipment, something the average high school couldn’t afford.

“This is very impressive, it’s no wonder you guys got the games. On Earth, we have something similar that we call the Olympics.”

“Really, that’s amazing. To think there would be such similarities between our worlds. Applejack told me about you holiday ‘Halloween’ and how much it’s like our Nightmare Night.” Twilight noted.
“Yeah, it a strange coincidence, but I guess with so many customs on both worlds, there were bound to be some that were similar. I wouldn’t dwell on it too much.” He rubbed Twilight’s head, she blushed lightly.

“Care for a race?” Shining asked.

“Um, I don’t think I’m in the mood for having my butt whooped today.” They all chuckled and moved on to the next stop.

“And this… is the Crystal Heart.” Cadence pointed to… well… a heart made of crystal. It was blue and about the size of Spike. If floated and gently spun between a crystal stalagmite and stalactite under the castle.

“It’s beautiful, Cadence. What does it do?” Rick asked.

“When the residents of the empire are happy, it broadcast their feelings across Equestria. It makes the castle tower radiate streams of joy in different shades and hues. It is truly a sight to behold.”
“That is something I would really like to see.” Rick said looking up the tower trying to imagine what it would look like.

“Sadly, it’s not something that just happens. I’ve only seen it twice.” Twilight informed.

“Now, if you’re all hungry, it’s time for lunch” Shining said.

“Great, after that, I think it may be time to hit the road. What do you think, Twilight? I don’t want to cut you’re visit with your family short, but we should get back to Ponyville.”

“I guess you’re right. Spike shouldn’t be left alone for too long. He can get… rambunctious.”

“If you must, then I guess you must,” Cadence sadly agreed. “I will have your luggage loaded.”

“Thank you very much, Cadence. You’re hospitality knows no bounds.” Rick bowed deeply with one arm across his chest. And with that, they all went inside and enjoyed their lunch, during which, Shining told many an embarrassing story about Twilight. Twilight would get defensive at some and blush at others. Cadence came to her sister-in-laws defense by telling stories about Shining. Rick had the time of his life but reluctantly broke up the conversation by informing that it was time to be on their way; the response was groans and moans then eventual acceptance.

“Cadence, Shining, I want to thank you again for having me over and for lunch. The tour was fun and informative. I can’t wait to come back again, if for no other reason than getting my hands on more of these crystal berries,” Rick held up a large basket as evidence.

“We would be happy to have you back anytime.” Shining Armor held out his hoof, which Rick grasped and shook.

“Absolutely, after what you did for us, we would love to have you return whenever you wish. ‘Till then, the roads have been cleared and we will be relying on you to watch over our dear Twilight Sparkle.” Cadence said as she wrapped a hoof around Twilight’s neck and hugged her. Twilight blushed.

They said their final goodbyes, loaded the berries, placed Paul in the back seat and Twilight joined Rick in the front seat.

Chapter 51

The roads indeed had been cleared. There was no sign of any boulders haven fallen, indeed there was not even a pebble out of place. In fact, the road was so smooth that Twilight soon dosed off. Somehow, despite starting in a tight, curled up ball of pony, she had wound up with her head on Rick’s thigh. It actually reminded him of Hanna. She would often do the same on long road trips. Rick grinned at the recollection. Occasionally, he would absentmindedly stroke her mane as he often would with Hanna’s hair.

As he came through a tunnel in a mountainside, Ponyville came into view, as the strangest rainbow he had ever seen. Most rainbows arch lazily across the sky, but this one seemed to be attacking the sky, bursting clouds and streaking between them. He suddenly realized what he was seeing. “How do I get her attention without waking Twilight?” Luckily he didn’t have to worry, Dash dove straight toward them.

“Rick! Glad to-“

“Shh, she’s asleep.” Rick interrupted indicating their sleeping friend.

“Oops, sorry. Listen, I’m glad you came when you did, we were just about to have a picnic. Care to join us?”

“Sounds good. Lead the way.” She did just that.

Rick followed her to a hill just beyond Sweet Apple Acres. The smell of apples on the gentle wind was intoxicating. The sun was bright and warm thanks to Rainbow Dash. Rarity, Pinkie Pie and Applejack were already there and he could see Fluttershy coming up over the hill to join them. He pulled up near them, but not so close as to ruin the setting with the smells of grease and hot metal.

“Twilight, it’s time to wake up,” Rick gently shook her shoulders.

“Huh, wha…” Twilight blushed when she realized what she had been doing for the past few hours. “I uh um eh I didn’t mean to… I…”

“Calm down, Twilight, it’s fine. Falling asleep on a long road trip is practically a tradition. Hanna used to do the same thing all the time. Don’t worry about it. Besides, everyone’s here for a picnic. Let’s go.” Her blush faded quickly.

“Darling, we are so glad you could make it. Tell us all about your trip.” Rarity instructed as she magically levitated a tea cup to Rick.

“It was fantastic. Wouldn’t you agree, Twilight?”

“Absolutely, Shining Armor and Princess Cadence even gave us a royally guided tour.”

“Yeah, and Cadence made the guards do all the heavy lifting after they started to attack me.” He laughed but the others took a little time to join in. The shock took them by surprise at first.

“It is the least she could do after you climbed down the mountain to pull her back up after that avalanche.” Twilight added.

“What!? That’s not a detail you can just skip over.” Rainbow Dash insisted. The four others all voiced their agreement.

“Well, we stopped at an overlook because Cadence wanted to show us the view of the empire. Then we heard rocks starting to slide down the hillside and all hell broke loose,” the ponies seemed confused at the word ‘hell’ but Rick trudged on. “Twilight got hit and was knocked out, Cadence flew over to save her but got hit in the wing and rolled off the cliff. Shining managed to put a shield up and saved us from the rocks. I managed to rappel down and grab her. Paul was the only one smart enough to get out of the way by hiding under the truck.” Rick added as he rubbed Paul’s head.

“Then how’d ya get all them bruises?” Applejack asked.

“Oh,” Rick looked at the bruises on his arms, “I was hit while I covered Twilight. She was out so I had to wrap myself over her.” Twilight blushed again.

“Again? How many times are you going to hurt yourself for somepony else?” Dash asked as she hovered overhead.

“Hopefully not too many more times.” Rick said then joined the rest in laughter.

“We should have a party! You guys have been gone for so long and I missed you so much!” Pinkie bounced around them excited at the prospect of another party.

“Pinkie, we were only gone one night.” Twilight rolled her eyes.

“Aw, c’mon, Twilight, it’ll be fun.” Rick defended. Movement caught his eye in the grass. “Funny, I didn’t know they had snakes in Equestria.”

Chapter 52

“We’ll have balloons and games and cake and oww! Something bit me!” Pinkie yelled as she rolled onto her back coddling her hind leg. There was a collective gasp from all present. Rick ran over to her and spotted the snake again, this time he could clearly see patterns and a rattle.

“I’ll get her to the hospital!” Dash rushed over and got ready to pick her up when Rick stopped her.

“The last thing she needs right now is adrenaline. Dash, race over to the hospital and tell them what happened. It was a Diamond Back Rattlesnake. Hopefully they have anti-venom. Twilight, Load her into the back seat and keep that leg lower than her heart. Fluttershy, keep her calm. Rarity, help Twilight hold her down. Applejack, it’s going to be rough, so I need you to keep everyone from bouncing too much. Now everyone get in!” Rick ordered as he took his place behind the wheel.

The engine roared to life as all the ponies carried out their orders. Rick stomped on the gas and left twin ruts in the field as dust and dirt were flung dozens of yards out behind them. It took all his strength to keep the truck going in the right direction. Finally the wheels got traction and they hurdled toward town.

Rick didn’t bother trying to get to the road. The field was open enough that he decided to cut straight across to save time. Small holes and ditches bucked the truck on its springs giving Rick a workout trying to keep it aimed correctly. Rocks bounced off the bottom of the cab. He only slowed to make sure he got across the bridge without hitting the walls. He honked the horn to make sure the residents of the town that he had no intention of slowing again.

The welcome sight of the hospital came into view. Dash was flying above it in anticipation. As he pulled up in front, the medical staff came rushing out to greet them.

“Get her inside quick,” the doctor ordered. “The anti-venom is ready in the observation room.”

Twilight and her friends followed the staff inside. Rick stopped for a second and sniffed the air. There was a familiar smell coming from the engine compartment, but there were more important matters at hand. He turned and ran inside.

After about thirty minutes in the waiting room, the doctor came out of the observation room. “She’s going to be fine. She will be a sore and there will be some swelling. If you hadn’t gotten here when you did, we would be having a different conversation right now.” The six friends let out their held breaths all at once.

“That is good news, Doc. Can we go in an’ see her?” AJ asked.

“Of course, just keep your visit short. She needs her rest.”

“We understand, Doctor, we won’t be long.” Twilight said over her shoulder as they headed down the hall.

They opened the door to Pinkie’s room and went inside. “Hey everypony, it’s good to see you.”

“Pinkie, I’m so happy you’re okay.” Twilight told her as they all entered.

“Yeah, the doctor said if you hadn’t gotten me here so soon, I might not have made it.” Pinkie told them in an unusually calm voice.

“Um, are you okay?” Fluttershy asked.

“I’m a little sore, but I’ll be okay.”

“Oh, I’ll go make you some medicine.” Fluttershy headed toward the door.

“I’m happy you’re okay, Pinkie. I would stay longer, but I have to go. You get some rest.” Rick told her as he ducked out the door. He and Fluttershy walked out together.

Rick walked over to his truck and popped the hood. “Damnit! The thing’s dead.” He slammed the hood down again.

“Oh my, I’m sorry to hear that. Will it be okay?” Fluttershy asked.

“No. You see that puddle underneath?” She looked and then nodded. “That’s the gas, without it, the engine won’t run. Must have torn the fuel line getting here.”

“That’s a shame.” Fluttershy looked at the ground sadly.

“Yeah, but it was worth it to get Pinkie help.” He opened the door for Paul. “Well, let’s get that medicine.”

“Oh, okay. But I have to go into the woods to get the ingredients.”

“I’ve got nothing better to do,” He told her as he grabbed his flashlight, pocketknife and, on a whim, a disposable lighter he always kept handy. “Can I leave Paul at your cottage? He’s tired after that long ride.”

“Of course you can. All his friends there will be happy to see him.”

“Great, now we should get going. It’ll be dark before too long.”