• Published 4th Jun 2013
  • 8,069 Views, 175 Comments

A New World, A Fresh Start - drnkntst



Rick has been alone for over a year, now he finds himself in a new land with new friends.

  • ...
38
 175
 8,069

Chapter 8

Chapter 20

The trio were almost back to Ponyville now and Rick was very glad. He was sweating and doing his best not to sag. Twilight came first. She wasn’t overly heavy, but her weight was not helping in any case. At least this time it wasn’t due to an injury, at least not his own.

Twilight and Rainbow Dash were talking, but Rick wasn't listening to them. In fact, he could hardly hear them. “Got… to… get… to… the… hospital.” Spike came running up to the group. “Great, he’s mad too.”

“There you are! What was the big idea last night? Why did you yell at Twilight? She took you in and you yelled at her! She even ran off to find you! Now go back and find her!” Rick didn’t have the energy to make a retort; he only had the strength to focus on the goal ahead. He didn’t even stop walking.

“Calm down, Spike. I’m right here,” She poked her head over Rick’s shoulder. “He found me and rescued me. Besides, it wasn’t his fault, it was mine.” “Can we continue this at the hospital?”
“Wha… but… he… Twilight, he even broke the window.” Spike was practically moaning. “Oh yeah, I forgot about the window.”

Twilight did her best to calm Spike down. Eventually, he gave in. Rick however, had reached his limit.

“Hey, Dash, could you do me the biggest favor ever?” Rick asked without being able to even look up.

“I guess. What do you need?”

“Can you... take Twilight... the rest of the way... to the hospital? I don’t… think… I can…” He couldn’t even finish his sentence.

Dash picked Twilight up out of the hammock, “are you alright?” But Rick was out cold before he even hit the ground.

“So did you find your friend?” A vaguely familiar voice asked.

“Well, this is a dream, so you are a figment of my own imagination, therefore you already know the answer.” Rick told the tall, blue pony who was fading into view. He looked around, they were both standing in the clearing from the night before.

“That may be true, but now you’ve exhausted yourself beyond your own limits. Now you have collapsed in the streets and possibly worried your friend again.”

“If it meant she got the help she needed, then that’s all the matters.” Rick sat down on a log next to the fire. “Isn’t that what friends are for, to help when you need it most?”

The pony walked over and did the same. “Perhaps, but a friend certainly doesn’t want to see another friend in pain. Remember how angry Spike and Rainbow Dash were?”

Rick looked up at the moon and stars, “I guess. The only thing I could think about was not hurting my friend. I couldn’t bear to lose my family all over again.” Rick sighed heavily then returned his attention to the blue mare.

“Is that why you dreamed about this place instead of that horrible day?”

Rick was shocked at the revelation, he was so used to the horrible nightmare replaying itself every night that he didn’t notice it wasn’t happening. “Does that mean I’ve moved on? Have I left my family behind? I don’t want to forget them.”

“Then you won’t. Just because you have a new family doesn’t mean you will abandon your old family. As long as you treasure their memory, they will always be with you and nopony will ever replace them.” The pony grinned at Rick. “Now, you should return to your friends.” The pony as well as the clearing started to fade.

Rick opened his eyes and looked around, he was in a hospital. He sat up and saw all his friends were in the room, most were sleeping. “Oh good, you’re awake,” came the whispering voice of Fluttershy.

“Fluttershy? What’s everyone doing here?” Rick reached down and patted Pinkie Pie, who hummed in her sleep. He was glad to see Twilight was there too. Her leg wasn’t in a cast but it was bandaged.

“When we heard about you and Twilight, we all had to come and make sure you were both alright. Twilight’s leg isn’t broken, it was just a sprain. Also, the doctor said you collapsed out of exhaustion and should be discharged in a few hours, though he wasn’t one hundred percent certain due to you being a human.”

“Thank you, Fluttershy, it was very kind of you to wait for me to wake up.” Rick rubbed her head, she grinned. “I don’t know what I did to deserve friends like you girls,” Rick laid back into the bed. “When the others wake up, let… them know… *yawn* I’ll be fine and I appreciate them…” he fell back to sleep. This time, there was no nightmare, there was no dream, there was only peace. For the first time in a year, there was peace.

Chapter 21

When Rick woke up, he was released from the hospital and headed for the library. It was good to be out, the doctors even treated the wounds on his back. He hadn’t felt this rested in a very, very long time. It was a good day.

He reached the library and went in, “Rick, you’re here!” Twilight shouted out of joy. She wasn’t alone, all her friends were there with her. “I have great news.”

“Me too, Twilight. That nightmare you saw, I think it’s gone. I just had the best sleep in a year. I think it was thanks to all of you.” He was beaming. “I didn’t have anything left for me on Earth, but here I have so many great friends, I’ll never be alone.” The ponies all closed in on him for a group hug, though it took Twilight a little longer due to her leg.

“Rick, I am truly glad to hear that. It’s such a relief.” The others didn’t know what the two were talking about, but it didn’t matter. They all knew that Rick had yelled at Twilight for invading his dream and now that dream was apparently gone. It was good news.

“What was your good news Twilight,” Rick asked releasing the hug.

“Huh, oh yeah. I wrote to Princess Celestia this morning. I told her about hour fight and what you said about friends not abandoning each other over a mistake.” Twilight was smiling while she said this.

“Wait, you wrote the princess, about me, about what I said about friends? Why? Why would she even accept a letter from you, especially one about me?” Rick was confused, surprised, impressed and mostly confused.

“Ya mean she never told ya?” Applejack chimed in. “She’s the Princesses own student. Tha princess sent her here to learn all ‘bout friendship.”

Weird.” “Really, that’s cool. I’ve never heard of a princess taking on a student before, and now one of my best friends is just that.” Rick patted Twilight’s head. “Very impressive. I think I would like to meet this princess.”

“Well that’s lucky. She wants to meet you too.” Twilight giggled. “She wants all of us to go to Canterlot Castle to speak with her as soon as we can.”

The crowd all joined in a chorus of variations of ‘that’s great,’ even Rick. Then something dawned on Rick. “Hey, Rarity.”

“Yes, Darling?”

“Did you get a chance to finish my clothes?” Rick was starting to feel a little self-conscience about his shirtlessness.

“Oh yes, Dear, and may I say they turned out fabulous.” Rarity ginned turned her head, placed a hoof on the front of her barrel and lifted her chin. She was obviously proud of her work.

“That’s great. I promise to work of the cost. I don’t like to be in anyone’s debt.”

“Oh no, Dear. After you saved Applebloom and even carried Twilight up that hill, cared for her leg and then carried her all the way into town, I won’t hear of it. The clothes are a gift. My way of saying thanks.” Rarity smiled again at Rick.

“Thank you, that’s very generous of you. Especially after it was my fault Twilight was out there to begin with.” Rick dropped his chin to his chest.

“Do you really believe that?” Twilight asked. “I went after you of my own accord. I fell because I couldn’t see the edge, simple as that. I don’t want to hear you blaming yourself again. Do you hear me?” The last part was said a little sternly which startled Rick enough to bring him back to the present.

“Thank you, Twilight.” Rick walked toward the wall and sat down on the floor. “Tomorrow I will go to Rarity’s and get my clothes, then we will go to the palace. Quick question, how will we be getting there?”

“Well, there’s the train, that takes a couple hours. We could take a carriage, it’s faster, but pricey. Of course, I could get there in no time if I flew, but the rest of you would still have to go by ground.” Rainbow said as she hovered.

“Hmmm, so if a carriage is an option, that must mean there’s a road.” Rick rubbed his chin in thought. “Leave the transportation to me. Applejack, I’ll meet you at the farm after I leave Rarity’s, the rest of you, meet me just outside of town.

Chapter 22

The next morning, Rick headed over to Rarity’s boutique bright and early. The doctors really did a good job on his back, it didn’t even hurt anymore. As he walked, he greeted and was greeted by many ponies on the street. “This really is a great town.”

It didn’t take long for him to find the place, he knocked. “Come in,” A sing-song voice relied. He did as instructed. “Oh, Rick Dear. You certainly got here early.”

“Yeah, I hope that’s alright.”

“Oh yes, I was just making breakfast. Have you eaten?” He hadn’t, “will you be so kind as to join us?”

Us?” “That sounds good, thank you.” He followed Rarity into the kitchen, careful to duck doorframes. A small, white unicorn was already seated at the table. “Oh, good morning ummm… Sweetie Belle, right?”
“Mm-hmm, that’s me. You're Rarity’s human friend Rick aren’t you?” That voice was just so adorable.

“That’s me. How are you this fine day?” Rick rubbed her head, Sweetie leaned into his hand and grinned hugely. Rarity grinned too as she magically carried three plates of pancakes over to the table.

“I’m great! Rarity makes the best pancakes.” She beamed, Rick smiled at the reaction.

“Well, that’s good. It’s fun spending time with your family isn’t it?” Rick didn’t even notice his lack of hesitation this time. He took a bite of his pancakes, they may be the best he’s had. “These are great Rarity, I’m not used to the flavor though. What are they made out of?”

“Hay. Why are you coughing? You really must take smaller bites, Dear.”

“You know what, I appreciate the gesture, but I can’t eat hay. Thank you anyway.

“Well, I do apologize. Would you like something else?”

“No, no. I really can’t put you out like that. You are already going above and beyond with the clothes you made me. I’ll just swing back by the library and get some of the apples Applejack gave me.”

The three finished breakfast and cleared the table. They then entered to main gallery of the boutique where there was a rough human mannequin. On it were a fine pair of blue jeans and a light blue button-up shirt. Both seemed to be very sturdy and high quality.

“Well, what do you think?” Rarity asked flipping her mane.

“I think I don’t deserve such a fine outfit. You have outdone any of my expectations. Thank you.” Rick knelt down and hugged Rarity. “You really are too generous.”

“Oh, stop. You are a friend and you helped two other friends and suffered for both. This really is the least I could do.” She smiled at him.

Rick stood back up, “well then, if you’re certain, then I will take these back to the library to change, grab breakfast and then I will head over to the farm. Remember to meet me just outside of town, make it two hours from now.” With that, he took his new outfit, petted Sweetie Belle, waved to Rarity, he knew better than to mess with Rarity’s mane, and left.

Rick had gone to the library. He ate an apple and changed then he left giving Twilight the same instruction he gave Rarity and headed toward the farm with a couple apples for later. After an hour of leisurely walking, he reached to farm. He was in no hurry because he knew it would take far less time to get back to meet the others. Rick couldn’t help but snicker to himself. “This is gonna be fun.”