• Published 13th Jul 2013
  • 723 Views, 6 Comments

PonyHammer 40,000: Magic of War II | Discord Rising - Dragon Heart



It is the forty-first millenium, and there is no more friendship, only... WAR!

  • ...
6
 6
 723

The Wages of Sin

The grounds of the glacier appeared to be deserted, but Discord lurked in every nook and cranny around every corner. A quiet whistle grew louder, and a drop pod landed on the frosty ground. Out came Hammerheart and the others ready to hunt down and exact retribution upon the traitor.

"Hello, siblings." Hoovitus said to them through their comm links. "I know you are out there. Coming for me. That dog Skarsend has the area crawling with Dark Legion scum. Deal with them. I will await you here."

"Hoovitus still has access to the vox channels, Commander Hammerheart." said Spike. "I am marking his location on your map display, along with two other Dark Legion outposts. Eliminate those to weaken the main stronghold. Keep a sharp eye out for patrols."

The Blood Phoenixes headed off on their search. They soon found a small patrol of Cultists and killed them off with quick and relative ease. They then found the first outpost with a band of Discord Marines near it. They engaged and destroyed both the heretics and the outpost.

"Night Lurker squad is still hunting." A Discord Marine reported over the channel. "They ignore summons."

"Do not bother me with your failures, Discord whelp!" Hoovitus answered in anger.

The Pony Marines continued with their hunt, shooting at any heretics that attacked them. They discovered the second, and last, outpost with more Discord Marines. They went in and unleashed their fury upon them. The Discord Marines fought back, but were outmatched by the pure leadership of Hammerheart's strike force.

"Blood Phoenixes attack Bastion Tyrannous!" The Discord Marine yelled.

"Are you really this incompetent?" Hoovitus asked, his patience with them was down to nothing. "Mobilize your forces!" He then tuned his voice to the Pony Marines. "They know you are here, Blood Phoenixes."

Pinkie could hear a siren going off in the distance. "They have sounded an alarm." She said.

"Expect the Dark Legion to be ready for you." said Spike.

They moved onward, waiting for what was coming to them. Sure enough, Discord Marines came charging in on their position, but the Pony Marines struck first and wiped them all out.

Hoovitus called Applejack over her comm link. "Applejack. Do you remember when Chapter Master Traytus came to Cronus, after the final victory?" He asked.

Applejack leered. "I have no interest in your nostalgia, Hoovitus." She spat.

"You should, you blind fool." Hoovitus responded harshly before beginning his story. "Traytus wanted to make me his Steed, his personal agent in the Fourth Company. I was with him after his 'Royal Guard' cleaned up all the dark deeds from the Cronus Campaign. He walked me through the ruins of Firstion Bay, celebrating the slaughter I had carried out there. If you had been there, you too would see what a rotten veil of lies our Chapter has become."

The Pony Marines advanced onto another position were Discord Marines held their ground and attacked. The Blood Phoenixes engaged. Their weapons laid waste to the enemy squads

"Obliterator and Cektor squads no longer respond." The Discord Marine said.

"You had best hurry, siblings." said Hoovitus. "The squads you have killed are going to be missed."

"Reporting to Chapter Master Traytus is one thing, Hoovitus." said Applejack. "But betraying us to the Dark Legion is another."

"I thought that as well." said Hoovitus. "Until after the Paranids, when Traytus contacted me again. And told me to provide information and aid to an ally of his..."

"... named Skarsend."

Hammerheart stopped when he heard that. Was Hoovitus implying that the Chapter Master had fallen to Discord? But there was no time to think. They kept moving until they had finally arrived.

"Here we are at last." said Hoovitus. "The end is in sight."

"Show yourself!" Rainbow Dash shouted.

"Do not worry, Rainbow Dash." said Hoovitus. "Have you ever known me to run and hide?" Hoovitus approached the Blood Phoenixes from behind cover. "I needed only to ready the Chapter Master's final gift to me."

He revealed himself to the Pony Marines and launched a barrage of rockets at them. They quickly fell back from the attack.

"Termineightor Armor." said Applejack.

"Yes." said Hoovitus as he approached them, "The holiest of Chapter relics in the hooves of a loathsome betrayer. There is the honor of the Blood Phoenixes!"

With Hoovitus wearing Termineightor Armor, he would be much more of a challenge than the Pony Marines expected. Hammerheart went in to attack. Rainbow Dash took to the sky and slammed near Hoovitus, sending him flying back a few. The others stood back and fired away at the traitor. Hammerheart and Rainbow Dash struck at him, angering him even more.

"Get back!" Hoovitus shouted as he turned and bucked his Powerhooves at Hammerheart and Rainbow Dash, sending them flying back.

Just then, a Disharmonaught came after them, but Goliath went in to attack it and keep them focused on Hoovitus. The others kept striking and shooting the traitor, but then Hoovitus disappeared and reappeared in a bolt of Warp energies a few feet from where he stood.

"This is all that remains: blood and fury!" He said as he aimed his assault cannon and unleashed a bullet storm in a slow sweep in front of him, killing any Pony Marine unfortunate enough to be caught in the firing range.

Hoovitus then charged at Hammerheart, and they smashed into each other. Hammerheart pushed Hoovitus off him and swung his Thunder Hammer, but Hoovitus teleported again to a fair distance.

"Only the fury of battle can silence the dead!" He shouted as he reared his head back and blasted more rockets at the Blood Phoenixes.

"Missile Barrage!" Pinkie yelled.

Some battle siblings were caught in the explosions, but Hammerheart and the other leaders escaped the hell-zone. They went back in to attack. Hoovitus charged at Hammerheart again, slamming into the Commander, but Hammerheart swung his Hammer and sent Hoovitus flying back with one good hit. Hoovitus got back to his hooves and fell back to recover.

"Faith is a lie! Truth is a lie!" He shouted.

From a distance, daemons approached the battlefield, but Hammerheart called in an Orbital Bombardment on them and they were blown to pieces. They continued to strike at Hoovitus. With one final shot from Applejack did the traitor finally meet his end at the hooves of their retribution, and he fell to the ground.

"Your death will weigh on my soul, Hoovitus." said Applejack. "As will your folly."

Hoovitus looked up at his old partner. "I want none of your pity, Applejack!" Hoovitus hissed with his dying breath. "But remember this day, because you are looking at your own future. Someday you will see through all the lies. And then the dead will come for you as well."

"Nopony died in Her service that died in vain." Applejack quoted.

Hoovitus scowled and bared his teeth in anger. "Spare us your empty platitudes!" He spat. "It matters not who lives and dies! Blood is shed as it has always been. There is nothing else... in this forsaken... existence!" And he went limp, his tortured life leaving his corrupted body.