The Writers' Group 9,304 members · 56,572 stories
Comments ( 26 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 26

Straight to the point, has anyone else heard anything or have been having issues with image hosting on this site lately? Site not accepting links, pictures suddenly becoming unsupported format, etc?

Ever since the beginning of this year, I’ve been using pictures to kind of aesthetically improve my blog posts and my profile page. However recently I’ve been having trouble with keeping those links live. Google Photos, Imgur, another website I can’t remember, these are some of the ones I was using so I wouldn’t have to worry about the original link being deleted and me having to find the photo all over again. Simply put in the gallery, link it, and it’s live as long as the site lives. But lately, the site stopped accepting Imgur links, and every time I link a photo with google photos, it becomes unsupported a day later and I have to re-link it. I can’t for the life of me find another method so any information would be appreciated.

Yeah, I have noticed that a lot of perfectly fine images that I had shared (and I actually had them in my dA Sta.sh, so they weren’t deleted or anything) are currently unsupported, and I see a lot of similar errors on pages of others as well. Plus I’ve found that sometimes the site seems to not support a certain URL, but when I copypaste it in again without any changes, it seems to be working just fine.

Comment posted by Lupis Wilde deleted Nov 5th, 2020

Oof, glad to see I’m not the only one then. Squit, I spent like a whole day moving all those pictures from Imgur to Google Photos

I've been meaning to ask this myself at some point, as I find this happens on all my blogs. I post a lot of pics of myself in various outfits on my blog, but about a month later, all images becomes corrupted or whatever I should call it.

Like here, for instance.

I used to use DeviantArt's Stash, but then with the recent changes to said site caused the images to either not show up at all, or be in a completely wrong format, like being stretched or tilted. I then resulted to simply posting pics from my FaceBook account, and that worked for a while, and then.. well, you see the outcome in my blog. Lately I've even tried uploading my FB pics, posting the blog, then immediately re-open the images through fimfic itself, but that only worked for a while...

I really don't know anything about this kind of stuff, but as someone who uploads a lot of pictures, it's surely become a bother..

Google keeps changing their shit and url format constantly. The maintenance and hoops you have to jump through to use it as a makeshift hosting service makes it unfeasible. Other sites, even hosting ones for this purpose, will make changes every now and then, perhaps to the format of their url or something else.

Some image hosting sites have blacklisted a huge load of forum sites to ease their load of their servers. Imgur is one of them if I'm not mistaken, as the site expects you to keep giving it pageviews instead of using it as a repository.

Personally, I use postimages.org, but keep in mind that trying to keep images up is tricky business and will require maintance every now and then, no matter what.

I'm always having problems with unsupported format. The site doesn't accept any URLs that I use. Do you have to have a desktop computer to post images, or can you do this on a laptop, because I think that might be part of the problem.

This might be a silly question, but are you sure you are using the URL of the image itself and not just the address of the page where you found it, for lack of a better word? ‘Cause this site seems to struggle with some URLs, but not accepting any URLs seems a bit odd. Using a laptop/PC/tablet/phone doesn’t matter.

I think I use the actual image URL. Whether on Google images or an actual website, I click on the image and copy that URL. Nothing works, though. I was told that it only works on computers, but if you say that isn't true, I'm probably doing something wrong. :twilightsheepish:

Edit: I WAS using the wrong URL. Thanks so much! :pinkiehappy: :derpytongue2:

Try saved JPEGs.

Yep, if it’s a right click, and you use the ‘copy URL’ option it offers you, then it should be fine. It’s strange that it doesn’t work for you though.

And it’s definitely not an only-computer thing. I’m using my tablet at the moment, and I just picked this from the net and embedded it here. (And the preview tells me it works. This is going to be really awkward if it suddenly stops working :twilightsheepish: Edit: Phew, it works.)

Oh, great! Glad to help :pinkiehappy:

Huk

Crimmar is probably right here - hosting sites has been tightening the rules and banning direct forum usage to save bandwidth. However, there is one method I've been using for about 5 years now, and it seems to work well. Behold the GoogleDrive method:

1. Place image on your Gdrive
2. Right click => Share => Get link => Make sure it has the 'Anyone can view' permission
3. Copy link, it should look like this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d9L3RoNQZw0HenlCdybuA70hG12OZwHG/view?usp=sharing
4. Use this template: https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id= and copy the resource GUID (in the above, it would be '1d9L3RoNQZw0HenlCdybuA70hG12OZwHG' part) at the end. So in that example, it would become:

https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1d9L3RoNQZw0HenlCdybuA70hG12OZwHG

5. That's it - the above link should be embeddable here (and probably in any other forum).

Let's give it a try:

Purrs like a kitten :raritywink:

I've done this trick in my blog. It works.

My main source of anything I do on this site is all on a laptop, there shouldn't be any issues aside from me not trying to copy the image url.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Believe me, when I do those rewatch posts, I have to repeatedly preview it, find all the broken images, and fiddle with them until I can get them to work...

--Sweetie Belle

I use this site:

https://imgbox.com/

You can create galleries there or upload without including the picture in a gallery. It supports upload of multiple pictures at once.
The site's system is a little weird (you kind of have an account there, with your own section where you only see your own uploads, but at the same time you don't have one and you never register an account, it seems to work in some IP-based way that I don't understand) and I don't trust it completely that the files will always remain there, but I use it for more than two and half years now and my pictures have always stayed there. Sometimes, I also had my pictures disappearing here because of an "Upstream Error" and, at first, I re-uploaded and replaced them to fix the issue, but I discovered a little while ago that this isn't necessary and the pictures return without intervention on my part sometime later. You can look into the sections "The Post-Apocalyptic Wasteland" and "Foal of the Moment" on my userpage to see pictures I uploaded on this site.
The owners of this imgbox also seem to dedicate themselves to offering free hosting of images that can be used anywhere, judging by the description on the start page:

imgbox is a free service with more than 7 years of history, empowering people to upload, share and enjoy images online. Hosting millions of files requires massive resources and it simply became too big for our previous hosting platform to handle. We are pleased to announce we have partnered with a new team that have extensive experience in large-scale hosting, our new gen hardware enables us to continue to provide the high standard of service that you are used to, while preparing us for many billions of files into the future.

Sincerely,
The Team

I think I can recommend this site.

Yes, I have. I have cover art ready for one of my stories, but it wouldn't upload.

Granted, it's been a minute since I last tried, I should try it again, but it was odd...

Sorry, forgot to hit the reply button. The above comment is my answer to the question.

I’m testing some of your suggestions now, putting the links in and seeing how long they hold. If I can go at least a couple of weeks without needing to constantly double-check the pictures for relinks and odd URLs then we’re good. I’m also copying the image URL directly to try to add to the effect, hoping that will help.

I've worked it out. Wrong URL, lol.

I did try out that one first but again, even with the image URL, it swatted that picture away within a few hours. Now I’m trying another suggestion on this thread called Postimages. And instead of isolating the picture on it’s own tab, opening the image in a new tab, I just copied the image URL from the full screen preview. Seems to be working so far, it’s been nearly a day and it’s still standing.

That's really weird that the site behaves that way. I'm using it without issues for years now. But computers are weird and most of the time don't make any sense, so I can't be really surprised that it doesn't work on your machine.

Now I’m trying another suggestion on this thread called Postimages.

This is the site I used after Imgur blacklisted FIMFiction.net and before I discovered imgbox. I can't recommend it, because pictures that have been uploaded there get deleted after a few months. It's not a solution for long-time hosting of pictures.

Yeah, I noticed the Imgur thing myself.

Me, I've been using ImgBB for a while now after getting it recommended to me by a friend. It's worked out pretty well thus far.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 26