The Writers' Group 9,291 members · 56,394 stories
Comments ( 21 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 21

So, I'm about to ask a very stupid question but it must be done: Is soup a drink? I ask becasue it's a liquid and can be swallowed but it's considered a food. How would that translate in Equestia?

Honestly, I just felt like starting a dumb argument over soup just because

You can drink soup with the contents in it or drink the liquid/broth apart from the contents and then eat the solid chunks

Soup is a taco fite me

Yeah, I'd agree with FlyBoy here. It really depends more on how you're eating it, but in general it could be either.

Well if it’s served in a bowl rather than a cup, glass or mug...

It'd probably start a religious war amongst the food preparation ponies. Pinkie, naturally would consider it a drink, as it isn't solid like a cupcake. But Applejack would believe soup's a food, as it's not really all that different from Applesauce, from her viewpoint.

Twilight ends the debate by banning soup from Equestria, and using another memory stone to remove all knowledge of its existence.

7286043 I'd read it if that was a thing, not gonna lie

Oh, look, a meme.

7286060 This was a meme? I didn't know that

“Write that down, write that down!”

One would have to ask what the purpose of a drink or soup?

We drink for liquid water needs. Dehydration prevention is the goal of a drink. That or body core temp lowering (milk shake in summer as example). In some cases it to add chemical boosts aka energy drinks or coffee. Ultimately nutrition is not an issue with drinks.

Soup is more a food due to the nutritional aspect. Often we make soups to get as much nutrients as possible. Bone broth where bones are boiled to get every element we can. Due to this I would say soup is a food because the goal is nutritional not hydration.

I can see some scientific minded ponies (twilight) arguing this.

Hmm. As others have said, I guess it would depend on how you're consuming it. If it were served in a cup/mug without solid ingredients (i.e. some sort of broth), they may consider it a drink. I'd say that version would be most often served at restaurants during the winter. Now, if it were served traditionally (in a bowl) with or without solid ingredients, they may consider that a food because of the nutritional factor, as ShadowStar_IMHP explained.

I would love to read that story. :twilightsmile:

Yes! :pinkiehappy:

I'mma give it to you simply. Soup is food, not a drink.

It is designed to be consumed with utensils, from a bowl.

While things like cups can be used, that is more along the lines of thinner soups like a broth or pureed soup.

Ramen is a perfect example. You use chopsticks to eat the noodles, pork, etc, then a spoon for the broth.

The only time you should see soup in cups are things like Cup-a-Soup products that are designed to be mixed in a cup/mug, or when putting soup in a thermos.

And if I didn't have too many story ideas already, now I have another one to add to the list. Curse you!:rainbowlaugh:

I've already written it. Just debating whether or not it fits in the current atmosphere.

Just as well. You'd probably do it better than if I tried.

On a related note:

Cereal is actually, technically, a salad.

fite me

7286416 You can't just declare a salad to be a cereal. That's sinful in of itself

7286551 I'm disgusted but pleased at the same time

I'm game:pinkiecrazy: my favorite food is fettuccine

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 21