The Writers' Group 9,299 members · 56,449 stories
Comments ( 57 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 57

This is something that's bugging me. Ever since the trailer for the premiere came out today I've been seeing negative stuff about starlight everywhere. Let me make this clear I'm not a huge starlight fan I think she's average at best but seeing the fandom get divided over one single character is making me believe she's seriously overhated. What do you think?

HapHazred
Group Admin

5855335 Put spoiler blocks on that bit about the trailer for the premiere and put [spoilers] in the title.

You have five minutes.

EDIT: Thank you. Now let's see if the other guy is as quick.

I don't hate Starlight, I hate it whenever the writer hit the characters with the idiot stick.

I love Starlight and she brings a new part into the series which I now worry about after watching the S7 premiere. But after reading the description, it might get us a chance to go around Equestria to search for the map unless they just don't want an arc story anymore than I'll be disappointed in the staff for handling a character.

5855335 I think she is a decent character with room to grow. Of course I haven't seen the trailer yet so who knows.

5855335 My problem with Starlight Glimmer is that she's rewarded with friendship and graduation without having to do anything to earn them. At least we got to see Twilight working hard and failing and learning from her failures before she became an alicorn. But with Starlight? It's like the writers said, "Nah, we don't got time for that."

HapHazred
Group Admin

5855374 Ah well. Happens.

Just to be clear my problem isn't with those who simply don't like the character. My main problem is with those who believe the show would be better off without her just because they want their precious sunset waifu back. The haters made me hate waifus THANKS A LOT!:flutterrage:

5855387 In all retrospect, I consider Sunset to be worse written of the two. Heck with Starlight we get to see her rises and falls. With Sunset, all that happens offscreen, and instead we get her already as the hero of her series. I like Sunset and Starlight, but clearly Starlight is the better written.

5855373 Basically this.

Me? I don't really like her characterization so far. But I do believe she has potential.

As for how many people hate her, I do wish they would give her more of a chance instead of calling her Sunset 2.0. New characters take time for writers to perfect. If we look back on Rarity, Rainbow Dash, or Applejack from Season 1, they were not so great. It took time for the writers to work out the kinks in their personalities.

But that's just my opinion.

5855335 I really don't care for Starlight (I don't hate her or really like her, I'm just indifferent), I feel like she's a character who was intended for one purpose, swapped out for another then given a minimum number of episodes to flesh her out in order to set up the season 6 finale (one reasonably good (No Second Prances) and one with many unfortunate implications and botched character development (Every little thing she does). Is she over-hated? Well perhaps, although there are many good arguments for why Starlight doesn't work as a character. I think she improved slightly in the finale, but the point still stands. her character arc feels rushed and not well thought out, and I if I didn't know better I'd think the staff still want to focus on the mane 7 (I'm including Spike) and the Cutie Mark Crusaders and don't really want to do anything that much with Starlight other then what's required, thus bearing a lot of wasted potential.

As for the Bronies, well emotion without thought is a part of every fandom and we're no exception, or to put it simply ("BRONIES. ARE. WEIRRRRRRRRRRD!"). Emotion is a big part of art, whether it be intense adoration, hatred, joy, sadness and everything in between, what marks out a good piece of art is whether it stirs the emotions it was made to stir.

Hope that's given some food for thought...

5855387 I don't want her gone because of Sunset. (I hate Sunset!) I want her gone because she's overpowered, overprivileged character who doesn't have to do anything to earn what she's granted.

As for how many people hate her, I do wish they would give her more of a chance instead of calling her Sunset 2.0.

That's because she is. Hell, even their names are similar.

I think she improved slightly in the finale, but the point still stands. her character arc feels rushed and not well thought out, and I if I didn't know better I'd think the staff still want to focus on the mane 7 (I'm including Spike) and the Cutie Mark Crusaders and don't really want to do anything that much with Starlight other then what's required, thus bearing a lot of wasted potential.

This is exactly why her graduation is such a big issue with me! :flutterrage:

Comment posted by doomie-22 deleted Mar 15th, 2017

Agree with you.

Comment posted by doomie-22 deleted Mar 15th, 2017
Comment posted by KingJoltik deleted Mar 15th, 2017

5855502 And starlight's been shown to have flaws rendering your mary sue point null and void.

5855544 Not really. The only time she's been shown to have flaws is in "Every Little Thing She Does", which was basically a repeat of "Lesson Zero."

5855547 and no second prances I mean rely on magic too much?

First off, I am going to mention that so is Twilight's... and yet, no one ever complains about that.
Twilight Sparkle - Sunset Shimmer - Starlight Glimmer

And then, I am going to post a video here which I think explains my position nicely.

5855373 She is a lazy character, unlikable, a Gary Stu ( she's more powerful than an alicorn who also happens to be the Element of Magic!).

5855550 I hated No Second Prances. It really didn't show her flaws.

5855552 Except Twilight was the main character. It comes off as laziness that Sunset and Starlight were created just so Twilight would have a villain to overcome. Before that we had villains like Nightmare Moon, Discord, Queen Chrysalis, and Tirek. Again, Sunset and Starlight seem like lazily, poorly-written villains. Hell, Starlight looks identical to Adagio Blaze. While I don't like Starlight, I will at least say that she is better written than Sunset. At least Starlight got some character development, however little it was, while all of Sunset's character development took place off-screen. By the time Legend of Everfree, like Starlight in the show, she has taken over as the main character. Just . . . really!?

5855556 My point exactly. That's why I don't like her. She's pulling off magic tricks that, as far as we know, nopony but her knows. You don't even need logic to explain it; as long as it's doing what the plot requires it to, why not?

Considering what they’ve done with her at the end of the most recent season, I think it’s safe to say that you judgements are biased and hypocritical. Especially since Star went through the same kind of character development as Sunset.

She constantly brings up the fact that she screwed up in multiple episodes, and she continually worries and beats herself up about it, deeming herself unworthy of being Twilight Sparkle’s pupil.

Princess Luna herself identifies with Starlight, due to them having similar pasts and worries. Luna even says outright that she sees a lot of herself in Starlight.

In "To Where and Back Again" it’s revealed that she’s terrified of taking on a leadership role again, believing she doesn’t deserve it after what she did the last time she was in a position of authority, and is even fearful that it will cause her to go back to the way she was.

She even points out in the season 6 finale that she understands not just that she was wrong, but why it was so bad, using that knowledge to help defeat Queen Chrysalis.

Mary Sue? You use that word but clearly you know what it means:

A Mary Sue is perfect in every way, has absolutely no flaws, and is loved by everyone.

Starlight has flaws and gets called out on any mistakes she makes, and therefore she does not meet the requirements of a Mary Sue, your definition of Mary Sue is a character others like and you don’t.

5855623 some one FINALY using a brain for once :pinkiesmile:

5855623 But recall that in "Every little Thing She Does" she used a spell on her friends and saw nothing wrong with it. And if the synopsis for "All Bottled Up" is any indication, she didn't learn her lesson. (What is it with these writers and having these characters learning the same lesson over and over again!?) Her character development would have been better had the writers used her to her full potential in season six, fleshing out her character and making her redemption believable. I still have major issues with her backstory and the way she was redeemed to begin with. This could have been a great recurring villain had the writers not decided to reform her. And even then I wouldn't have had a problem with that had the writers actually done something with her in season six, but they didn't. They had all of season six to flesh out her character and give her some character development, but instead they only devoted a couple of episodes to her, then made her the hero of the finale. You don't do that with an underdeveloped, unlikable, overpowered character. That's bad writing.

But, maybe I'm just thinking too deeply about this. After all, the Mane Six took a while to grow and develop as characters. When the series first started out, they weren't exactly I likable either. (I mean, hell, they all tried to kill each other for Twilight's extra ticket to the Grand Galloping Gala and forced a dragon to leave his home without bothering to help him find a new one.) It didn't happen overnight. It took several seasons for them to grow and develop as characters. Perhaps I should just sit back and wait until season seven is over and done with to pass judgment. I just hope that season seven includes more of Starlight Glimmer and that the writers actually take the time to flesh out her character and give her some character development.

5855623 Mary Sue may be a little strong but she's still a badly written character; she overpowered and a walking macguffin. She has done nothing but hinder the show since her first episode. Saying this I should add that I don't hate Starlight, I'm more indifferent at this point, but I'm getting tired of seeing so many episodes focusing on her. Having her in a supporting role is one thing, but when ever she has a part in an episode it seems it suddenly became all about her.

5855335 Yes, she is over hated. I can even look through this comment chain and see it. Speaking as someone who is actually a big fan of Starlight, it's very tiring to see since I find her to be a likable, interesting character with so far a great sense of character progression.

But recall that in "Every little Thing She Does" she used a spell on her friends and saw nothing wrong with it

Like the stunt Twilight pulled in Lesson Zero on a bunch of children? As well as the rest the town? Not to mention the fact that the Mane Six are rightfully ticked off at her, and she has to work to earn their forgiveness.

I still have major issues with her backstory and the way she was redeemed to begin with.

It's never established exactly when after Sunburst left she got her own cutie mark. for all we know she could’ve been a late bloomer, and by that point her mentality had been firmly locked in place by that experience and her inability to put faith in any friendship after losing her foalhood friend for fear of it falling apart again.

They had all of season six to flesh out her character and give her some character development, but instead they only devoted a couple of episodes to her, then made her the hero of the finale. You don't do that with an underdeveloped, unlikable, overpowered character. That's bad writing.

Like how Sunset, ,Trixie and Discord were reformed? I don't see anyone throwing a hissy fit over that.

Having her in a supporting role is one thing, but when ever she has a part in an episode it seems it suddenly became all about her.

Uh, YEAH. SHE'S PART OF THE MANE CAST, OF COURSE AND EPISODE FOCUSING ON HER WOULD BE ABOUT HER.

Also, "The Times There Are a Changeling" would like to have a word with you

Also, "hindered since her first appearance"! For someone who claims not to hate her you sure are making a bold statement for every other fan that hates her. After the rest of your statement I referred you to my above post.

I'll have to quote my friend here, when he ranted about Glimmer.

Starlight was actually GREAT as a villain, and she should have died or remained one. The made the most evil monster imaginable ( a person who forces religion on others), and she 100% gets away with her crimes, no, she's REWARDED for them with a celebrity life coach, luxury housing, gourmet food, and free education.
Do you now understand why if I was a pony and lived in Equestria, I would kill Starlight myself, with a fucking spoon, just so it would hurt more, and never feel a pang of remorse or regret? My defense in court would be "I upheld justice where you did not. If that is a crime, then so be it." Do you now understand why IRL I would physically assault her creators for what they stole from me and everyone else who loved the show like I did?
FUCK. STARLIGHT. GLIMMER.

I agree with him, although maybe not to the point of killing :unsuresweetie:

Well to you and your friend I say this:

I don't recall Trixie, and Discord's reformations being a problem. Hell, hers was done better:

The main difference is that she shows remorse for her actions outside of when they’re pointed out, showcasing some lingering guilt. Starlight is emotionally horrified by the fact that she nearly doomed all of Equestria with her selfish actions, and genuinely fears reverting back to the way she was. That fear influences her actions, sometimes leading to her making brash and poor choices, but she learns from them.

Compare Trixie and Discord:

Discord, despite selling out the mane six to Tirek and being forgiven rather quickly, was back to acting like a tool towards the mane five in his next appearance.

And while Trixie showed some remorse for her actions, she kinda relapsed and threw said remorse out the window once she realized that Starlight was Twilight’s student. It took her running off crying for Trixie to realize what vindictive bitch she was being.

Like the stunt Twilight pulled in Lesson Zero on a bunch of children? As well as the rest the town? Not to mention the fact that the Mane Six are rightfully ticked off at her, and she has to work to earn their forgiveness.

First off, Twilight was under a great deal of stress by that point. She wasn't thinking clearly. Doing something like that is totally in-character for her. She's always freaking out due to stress. Secondly, Starlight didn't have to work to earn their forgiveness. In fact, she didn't have to do anything. All she did was apologize and they instantly forgave her. At least Twilight had a punishment looming over her head before her friends took some action and told Celestia that Twilight's actions were their fault.

It's never established exactly when after Sunburst left she got her own cutie mark. for all we know she could’ve been a late bloomer, and by that point her mentality had been firmly locked in place by that experience and her inability to put faith in any friendship after losing her foalhood friend for fear of it falling apart again.

But blaming cutie marks for something like your friend moving away is not only illogical, but extremely stupid. I mean, did she not bother trying to write to him, get in touch with him somehow? This is never brought up in the show itself.

Like how Sunset, ,Trixie and Discord were reformed? I don't see anyone throwing a hissy fit over that.

Because those characters got character development and we're given time to grow as characters. Starlight didn't get any of that.

The main difference is that she shows remorse for her actions outside of when they’re pointed out, showcasing some lingering guilt. Starlight is emotionally horrified by the fact that she nearly doomed all of Equestria with her selfish actions, and genuinely fears reverting back to the way she was. That fear influences her actions, sometimes leading to her making brash and poor choices, but she learns from them.

Compare Trixie and Discord:

Discord, despite selling out the mane six to Tirek and being forgiven rather quickly, was back to acting like a tool towards the mane five in his next appearance.

And while Trixie showed some remorse for her actions, she kinda relapsed and threw said remorse out the window once she realized that Starlight was Twilight’s student. It took her running off crying for Trixie to realize what vindictive bitch she was being.

Starlight wasn't remorseful whatsoever. She was still planning on tearing apart the scroll even after she was shown what her actions were doing to Equestria.

Regarding Discird, he's a trickster. That's what makes him so enjoyable as a character. He wouldn't be nowhere near as entertaining if he wasn't constantly fooling around with the ponies.

Finally, we come to Trixie. She genuinely liked Starlight from the beginning. It was only after that she learned that Starlight was Twilight's pupil that she started thinking of how she could use starlight to get back at Twilight.

Character development? Discord appeared all of once before they decided to reform him, and Trixie simply sought revenge for petty reasons and was given a pass, I refer you to my previous statement.

Do you now understand why if I was a pony and lived in Equestria, I would kill Starlight myself, with a fucking spoon, just so it would hurt more, and never feel a pang of remorse or regret? My defense in court would be "I upheld justice where you did not. If that is a crime, then so be it."

TIL torturing someone to death, quite slowly, counts as upholding justice.

Do you now understand why IRL I would physically assault her creators for what they stole from me and everyone else who loved the show like I did?

"Your children's show no longer holds up 100% in every area to my adult critique. I'LL SMASH YOUR FACE!"

I am being only slightly hyperbolic. I think you and your friend might have some anger issues, even if you don't support the violence. That's clinical levels of dysfunctional anger and need for treatment I'm quoting.

5855933 Yes, but unlike Starlight, Discord was given character development after he was reformed. (See "Twilight's Kingdom", "Make New Friends But Keep Discord", and "Dungeons and Discords.")

Overhated? Probably. But that doesn't make her a good character.

Personally I agree that Starlight is mentally deranged, but she is remorseful. My friend is so angry because it's the show that pulled him out of depression, so he hates her for ruining it by being forgiven. I mean, she did create alternate evil timelines, where everybody has either died or had their lives radically changed.

First off, Twilight was under a great deal of stress by that point. She wasn't thinking clearly. Doing something like that is totally in-character for her. She's always freaking out due to stress

Yes, which is why I found her early season self rather hard to like. In fact, I'll point to an episode that did Twilight's freakout better. "It's About Time". Why? Because it happens over the span of several days, has Twilight worrying about a disaster, has several things happen to her, and she goes without sleep for days on end while getting hit in the head. It has Twilight go to the extreme of 'Stopping Time' and was all the time, treated as she kind of crazy and ending up with her realizing 'she was worrying about nothing'. It had great set up and pay off and fit her character.

While Lesson Zero is in character, the episode starts off pushing it a bit with the cupcakes... Then proceeded to have her freakout so much over the span of an afternoon and then curse children, I repeat, children in order to get a friendship report. While it is in character, she never had to face consequences. She was only worried about being tardy and none of the others gave her lip for hexing their sisters. The ending brings down that episode for me because of that. Should have had her get a 'the reason you suck' speech from Celestia and fix it.

In Starlight's episode, yes. She does work for it. She apologized and was willing to clean up her mess all on her own. Why did the others forgive her? Well the episode makes it clear they aren't happy with her and what she did but, you know, are actually willing to be adults and forgive. As well, you seem to forget that Pinkie Pie did not instantly show that same forgiveness and it took time.

So yes, I think It's About Time and Every Little Thing She Does are much better episodes then Lesson Zero. Not that Lesson Zero was bad, mind you, but it's ending was... poor, at least in my perspective.

I mean, did she not bother trying to write to him, get in touch with him somehow?

Why would she? He abandoned her and given the context, she had no one else to really help her get out of her depression and anger. Not to mention that if she did have an inkling to do that, it'd be harder and harder to write it as time went on. That and she's a young child. They don't always make the most logical choices.

Your third point of development, well, Starlight has been given development over the season. She might not have the number of episodes as Discord who's had, what, 5-8 episodes over 4 seasons, but she's had time devoted to her and her development.

Starlight wasn't remorseful whatsoever. She was still planning on tearing apart the scroll even after she was shown what her actions were doing to Equestria.

But she didn't.... If she had no remorse, she would have just torn the thing instead of listening to Twilight. She was on the brink of bloody despair and breaking down at that point given what she saw that that threat was pretty much empty.

If he believes that Starlight "ruined" the show then he never had any respect for the series to begin with. Yeah, the show must have meant a lot to him for just one character ruin it all!

And also, Starlight wasn't AWARE of how drastically the timeline was changed until AFTER Twilight showed her. After which she actually saw how wrong she was and changed her ways.

Look, leaving the Starlight apologism aside (because I don't care and also because the pro/anti-Starlight arguments never convince anyone but the person making them and they honestly don't matter), this is first a cartoon for children to enjoy, and second for their parents to enjoy mostly because they're watching it with their children (and third for anyone else; the brony fanservice has really never been more than that). It's a family show that is always squeezed for time between commercials and never has enough air time to conduct a fully satisfying finale or redemption due to the television format. That perspective, and loving it for what it actually is, is important.

And for your friend and the show being an antidepressant, what I understand from your post is that they had a (mostly) happy, funny Thing with a community that felt like they belonged there. That's more important than what the Thing was. If they can no longer tolerate Thing, there are plenty of other Things with communities and even some overlap with bronies. (This is entirely without using any knowledge related to suspecting that I know who this friend is.)

This is obsession. This is hatred (now just as edgy as the game!). This is incredibly unhealthy and you know it.

Yes, which is why I found her early season self rather hard to like. In fact, I'll point to an episode that did Twilight's freakout better. "It's About Time". Why? Because it happens over the span of several days, has Twilight worrying about a disaster, has several things happen to her, and she goes without sleep for days on end while getting hit in the head. It has Twilight go to the extreme of 'Stopping Time' and was all the time, treated as she kind of crazy and ending up with her realizing 'she was worrying about nothing'. It had great set up and pay off and fit her character.

I hated "It's About Time." The premise for the episode was stupid. Twilight was portrayed as being a complete idiot. The moral was the same as both "The ticket Master" and "Lesson Zero." I admit that the premise had potential, but that potential was completely wasted.

While Lesson Zero is in character, the episode starts off pushing it a bit with the cupcakes... Then proceeded to have her freakout so much over the span of an afternoon and then curse children, I repeat, children in order to get a friendship report. While it is in character, she never had to face consequences. She was only worried about being tardy and none of the others gave her lip for hexing their sisters. The ending brings down that episode for me because of that. Should have had her get a 'the reason you suck' speech from Celestia and fix it.

First of all, Twilight was going to face punishment for her actions, but the others came in and took responsibility for their actions. Yes, Rarity and Applejack didn't get on Twilight's case about her hexing Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom, but, they knew that she was only acting that way due to stress. She already had enough on her plate. How would chewing her out for something like that help anything? Besides which, it was a harmless spell that apparently very easy to reverse.

Also, you think Twilight should have been given a "the reason you suck" speech from Celestia just because she made one mistake? Really?

In Starlight's episode, yes. She does work for it. She apologized and was willing to clean up her mess all on her own.

Yes, but the others helped her along the way. She didn't even see it as cleaning up her mess. She just saw it as hanging out with her friends.

As well, you seem to forget that Pinkie Pie did not instantly show that same forgiveness and it took time.

Yeah, it took all of two seconds for her to forgive Starlight and offer to help clean up.

Why would she? He abandoned her and given the context, she had no one else to really help her get out of her depression and anger. Not to mention that if she did have an inkling to do that, it'd be harder and harder to write it as time went on. That and she's a young child. They don't always make the most logical choices.

He didn't abandon her. I imagine he had several weeks for his parents to get the paperwork done to enroll him in Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns. That leaves plenty of time for them to talk to each other and clear things up. And she didn't"tvhave anyone to help her out of her depression? Really? What about her parents? Surely they must have noticed something was wrong with her when they noticed that she was moping around the house all the time when Sunburst left. They could have tried talking to her, only for her to clam up and not want to talk to them. Yes, it would have been hard for her to write the letter as time went on, which is why it would have been a good idea to go ahead and write it while he was still in town. At least then she could have gotten her feelings down on paper and told him how she felt. But, like you said, she was only a child back then, and children don't always make the most logical of choices (kids do stupid stuff all the time), so maybe that thought never occurred to her.

If she had no remorse, she would have just torn the thing instead of listening to Twilight. She was on the brink of bloody despair and breaking down at that point given what she saw that that threat was pretty much empty.

And look what happened. She got used by Trixie, making her statement "she's just like me" more true than she thought it was. Once again, Twilight and her friends were handed the idiot ball. Instead of having her charged and tried for crimes against Equestria, they instead decide to become friends with her, despite previous villains doing far less extreme crimes and getting punished for it. Hell, even when Trixie does come back, Twilight comes off as a hypocritical bitch. "You tried to destroy Equestria twice? Aw, you poor thing. You just need friendship." "You insulted my friends and enslaved them after besting me in a duel because you're pissed that I'm better at magic than you are? Bitch, I'm gonna lay the smackdown on you!" And this chick is supposed to be the Princess of Friendship? Didn't "Magic Duel" establish that the two of them had out their differences behind them and had become friends? (Hell, this is even pointed out in the actual episode!) This episode made me hate Twilight, which is a shame because up to that point, she'd been my favorite character.

I mean, she did create alternate evil timelines, where everybody has either died or had their lives radically changed.

And she was rewarded for it, despite other villains doing far less and getting punished for either. What the hell!?

If he believes that Starlight "ruined" the show then he never had any respect for the series to begin with. Yeah, the show must have meant a lot to him for just one character ruin it all!

So, in other words, Fairly OddParents fans didn't have any respect for the series because they believe Poof ruined the series.

And also, Starlight wasn't AWARE of how drastically the timeline was changed until AFTER Twilight showed her. After which she actually saw how wrong she was and changed her ways.

Uh, no, she didn't. She was still planning on tearing the scroll. It wasn't until Twilight talked her down that she changed her ways, which I still call bullshit on.

Comment posted by doomie-22 deleted Mar 16th, 2017

No she wasn't being portrayed as an 'idiot'. She thinks there's going to be a big disaster and over time the stress and paranoia get to her. I found that episode to be bloody hilarious, partially because it didn't take itself too seriously. It's a fun episode that I actively watch now and again when in a sour mood because of how fun it is. You don't like it?

Meh... what? I'm supposed to get angry you don't like something I do? Nah, I'm not like that and I do respect your attitude.

However, yes. She should have been given the speech because of how she was acting and how, in front of Celestia, she was bemoaning she was tardy. Why do I think she should have been given the speech right then and there? Because Twilight didn't learn anything and she was stuck on the wrong problem. How do I know this? Because she does the exact same thing in The Crystal Empire. She values the 'lesson' and pleasing Celestia then other ponies.

But do you know why I think The Crystal Empire was a great episode? Partially because Celestia took her aside and explained why that was wrong and that she needs to be her own pony. The problem was that Twilight was willing to put others at risk to please Celestia and this episode just brushes it aside instead of addressing it. Which they didn't need to, since the episode basically ends after they repeat the lesson twice. Once to Celestia and the other to the letter and audience. Easily could have written it to have Celestia calmly explaining what was wrong with Twilight in this instance.

Also, as someone who has a little sister, I can safely say I wouldn't just brush it off if a friend did something like that to her for those reasons. Would I forgive said friend? If they worked for it, because I love my sister very much so.

Yeah, it took all of two seconds for her to forgive Starlight and offer to help clean up.

After they called her out for her mistake and were pissed off at her. And yes, forgiving her was the right thing to do. No one was harmed, this basically bit her in the butt the whole time, and she did have to work for it. They helped? Well Starlight still had to do most of it since she did half of everything. The others only helped her with one part. And Pinkie takes longer? Considering this is Pinkie we're talking about, yes that is saying something but I'm glad we got to see something.

Twilight and her friends were handed the idiot ball. Instead of having her charged and tried for crimes against Equestria, they instead decide to become friends with her, despite previous villains doing far less extreme crimes and getting punished for it.

You mean keep Starlight exactly where they can keep and eye on her and actively try to teach her how to be better.

Firstly, she was not aware of the effects of her time travel and when she did, she became distraught.... She never was going to rip the thing in two and Twilight was able to talk her out of it because Starlight finally realized what she did was wrong. Also, what would she get charged with? Aside from the village, which the participants were to an extent actively willing to go and live like that, she has done nothing in this world.

The parallel universes? They would exist without her. Why? Because that's parallel universes in a bloody nutshell? If she didn't go back in time, another Starlight or Twilight or someone else would, or they'd just happen on their own. The hypothesis of parallel universes pretty much states: if it could happen, it will. So yes, those worlds would exist whether she did what she did or not. Neither did she create them deliberately. She listened to Twilight when she found out about the effects and surrendered.

Why did she treat Trixie like that? Not because of her actions, but because she was keeping Starlight on a leash of sorts and was afraid of the possible effect Trixie would have on Starlight. Fit her character, especially with Celestia involved.

Far less extreme crimes? You mean deliberately creating chaos and turning everyone's lives upside down for sadistic kicks; draining all the magic from everyone; ruling in a dark empire and turning others into slaves and so forth were not as extreme as Starlight? Ehhhhh.... No. They did worse then her and all on purpose.

5856046 And if you don't agree, then how about a truce because honestly, I"m kind of tired of arguing about this subject and would rather just talk about stuff we actually did enjoy instead of what we didn't.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 57