The Writers' Group 9,324 members · 56,758 stories
Comments ( 49 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 49

Ever since the introduction of Cadence and Twilight's transformation, there seem to be a lot of people making Alicorn OC's and many others in response writing them off as overpowered, unoriginal and just an excuse for the creator to fulfill day dreams by making an idealized avatar. Whilst these arguments are not completely untrue I feel that underneath the pile of Mary and Gary Sues there is potential for interesting characters here. Why do the Alicorn's possess such power? Why do they seemingly represent a virtue rather than a skill? (Cadence as Love, Twilight as Friendship/Magic, and Celestia and Luna as the Alicorns of Day and Night (OK not a virtue, though come to think of it they kind of represent two subtly different methods of ruling and governing) How did they gain such power and why are there so few? What sort of impact do they have on the world?

Well now's your chance to explore that possibility. Using these short bullet points as a guide (along with anything else you can think up), you can create an interesting Alicorn character, and discuss how this sort of character could be used in a story, give budding writers and yourselves some inspiration, and possibly open a new way to look on powerful characters like the Alicorns. Just because they're powerful does not necessarily make them bland after all. So get creative!

Name: Virtuous
Sex: Male
Alicorn of: Justice and Fairness
Vice(s): Not easily angered, but when he is he can be uncontrollable until he calms down. Also he starts of very cynical and disbelieving of true Justice and Truth, growing up in a world rife with lies.
Cutie Mark: Balanced scales
Biography: Virtuous, or Virtue as he's known to his friends, started of life as a Pegasus among the nobility of a far away kingdom, one that was suffocating from the inside due to internal corruption and centuries long power struggles. The nobility of this realm regularly practiced Blackmail, Bribery and Assassination among other things, but the appearance of honour and innocence was paramount, and for years Virtue had played the game of politics, always secretly detesting it but always dragged back into playing it. Then there came a moment where he was finally outplayed, were a member of his own family and a group of ambitious lords framed him for high treason against the kingdom, intending to execute him for his 'crimes', but he managed to escape their clutches and flee the country. Vowing to return and bring justice to the real killer, he went on a long journey across Equestria and beyond, meeting many colourful characters, going on many grand adventures ect ect (so basically a Bioware Game), where he learns the true meaning of justice and fairness, all that good stuff. Then at the end of it he learns then teaches others the difference between Justice and Vengenace, that one is hard to obtain but ultimately the more satisfying and effective method in the long run, whilst the other causes nothing but endless pain and misery. At the end of it, his kingdom is reformed (not completely, but its a good start) and through the power and influence of the newfound wisdom/magic/McGuffin whatever he found on his journey (or whatever else you may think up) he came to represent the ideal of Justice and Temperance, and thus was made the Prince of Justice.

4009865 This is an interesting character and I am intrigued with this topic because currently I am trying to write a believable Alicorn OC, all the while worrying what others will think of it.

HapHazred
Group Admin

My thoughts on the matter is that most alicorn OC's are made alicorns for no apparent reason. The story never needed them to be alicorns, and so they come off as silly and overcomplicated.

If the story requires an alicorn, however, and this position cannot be fulfilled by any existing alicorns, then it would be warranted. Maybe. I dunno.

So a bio won't make them any more interesting than any other bio for any other character. It's how they act within the story that matters.

EDIT: Nuuuu! Giving them a few weaknesses does not magically make them relatable! If I developed recurring headaches, would that make me more human?

4009883 I agree, put I just put it there for anyone with ideas of their own to use it as a guide, and because some people really like back stories.

It's about getting the balance right; a lot of the hatred for alicorn OCs is because they are typically written as being incredibly overpowered to the point that, no matter what challenge is thrown at them, they easily brush it aside. They have to have a realistic powerset: they shouldn't be able to casually do something that Celestia, Luna, etc, can't. UNLESS! There's a damned good reason for it, and that it also comes with some kind of drawback to prevent them spamming it.

Also, they need to have relateable, interesting personalities. We love Twilight because she's adorkable, so if your character is similarly appealing you'll be halfway there. :scootangel:

HapHazred
Group Admin

4009891 Fair enough. In all fairness, it's a neat bio.

Why do the Alicorn's process such power?

Twilight's unicorn magic hasn't grown appreciably since gaining alicorn status, indeed it seems to have straight up plateaued. so no it doesn't seem like there is any inherent power boost to ascension. Simply the possibility of more power, by understanding the other two types of magic and applying your special talent through those two other kinds of magic.

How did they gain such power and why are there so few?

Personal Enlightenment/Completely embracing their destiny.
Why so few? Cause that's hard.

You make Alicorn character's interesting by showing their path to it, or by making them interesting you make any other character interesting.

Okay, alicorn OC coming right up.

Name: Nimbus

Alicorn of: Nothing, just got really lucky and happened to be born with a horn and wings, and gets to age a bit more slowly than the average pony.

Cutie mark: A cumulonimbus, showcasing his talent with the weather and utter lack of magical prowess.

Biography: Born to a unicorn and a pegasus in a fairly rare occurrence, nonetheless he was raised a pegasus for the most part. Got good grades in flight school, despite being a notorious troublemaker. Worked in weather management until he realised something: due to certain resemblance to royalty, he could basically scam ponies into giving him whatever he wanted. From that moment forward he quit his job and dedicated himself to travelling to far off corners of the world to exploit the ignorance of the locals, a simple matter with his unusual features and natural charm. He stays until he feels a bit guilty or gets run out of town, but not before stealing a fair bit from whatever poor noble is housing him. He's nice enough, just somewhat lacking a moral compass when it comes to taking from the rich and giving to the poor (himself).

Voila, one freshly thought-up alicorn OC.

The best alicorn OC I've ever read about was made by a friend of mine. This alicorn is young (about CMC age), pink, and has a rainbow mane and tail. That sounds really bad.

But her story is excellent. She thinks she's perfect in every way, trying to do every task and claiming to be friends with everyone. Yet she is terrible at everything she does. And when everyone confronts her about the problems she's causing by trying to be helpful, she grows as a character and sets out to try to find the one thing she really is good at. That makes her more developed than many ordinary OCs I've read, let alone alicorn OCs.

Of course, if it were a serious story, it wouldn't work. But it's not. It's a lighthearted comedy, which makes the best use of the character's quirks. It's cute, and it's an alicorn OC done right.

Oh yeah, I think I remember that story.

Oh, this is intresting. I'm writing a story where i write in all things people hate and write it good and resonbale where I have Princess Skyla, in my fanfoc taking place 1000 years after mane six, the young ruler of the crystal empire. Here, my way of copying with her powers and make her seem like a Mary Sue as little as possible through making her unexperienced and new to the situation. the main characters even have more information and control over the situation than she does, and therefor, her powers are not worth that much, nore is she flawless.

4009865 really, you want to give them some weaknesses. make them relatable.
The three main ones for one group I have are a mix of different ideas.
Deceit is somewhat of a Vader style character but he never starts out that way. He's a friendly character and does his job well as an Assassin.
Alaric is the main leader. He doesn't always get into a fight, but when he does, he's deadly.
Crimson is more of the down to earth type, just goes through life like normal.
None of them hold the power that Celestia and Luna will ever hold. These three are meant to be just the opposite. Believe that you don't need to be all light to be good. They're known for using both light and dark type of magic, but they also know when to not go too far.
Only thing in common with Celestia and Luna is long lives. Their magic and flying is always smaller and will stay that way.
Reason I use Alicorns is because I'm NOT using necromancy like others will. I'm very much against that.
And the colors of these three is maybe the typical, but they never care.
Deceit is Red
Alaric is Gray
Crimson is Blue.

4009921 I think Skyla will soon be canon.

Yeah, maybe, but so far, she got now canon/fanon personality, especially not as a grown up.

4009938 considering how many stories I've seen and those toys I heard about, getting close.

I agree with Hazard. A story involving an OC Alicorn can work, however, by introducing a new alicorn to Equestria, you would be effectively changing the mythology and/or lore.

I've bumped into a few stories that manage to pull off alicorn ocs. The most memorable one being "Myths and Birthrights" by Tundara. The reason why the story works is due to the author's attention to detail when it came to his/her use of his/her own alicorn canon.

Interesting...

4009979 can't wait to listen to fans rant over it. :rainbowlaugh:

I see what you did there...
:trixieshiftright:

HapHazred
Group Admin

4010112 I did something?

You have keen eyesight, MidnightChaos. I myself had no idea what I was doing.

But then again, I never have any idea what I'm doing.

In all fairness

HapHazred
Group Admin

4010139 Oh. OH!

You really do have keen eyesight.

4009865 Okay, here goes.

Name; Thanatos

Sex; Male

Alicorn of; Death/Resurrection

Vices; He acts like he knows everything, hardly takes others feelings into account, despises responsibility to the point where he delegates it all to his creations, in short... He acts like an American politician.

Cutie mark; A skull with flaming blue eyes

Bio; One of five natural born alicorns currently living in Equestria, was raised by a Spirit named Gaia who taught him not to fear death. As he grew older he grew curious about the world and left to learn about life and death from other creatures. During his travels, he earned many honorifics and titles. When he returned home he discovered Gaia and his oldest sister near death. In his rage he used the magic and knowledge he'd gained to destroy the ponies responsible and earned his cutie mark in the process. in the End he banished himself to Tartarus to take control of to process of life and death in his hooves and fix his mistakes.

He's also my favorite character to write, especially when he and Gaia are talking.

4009865 I just made mine the God-Emperor of Ponykind.

I agree with Hazard. A story involving an OC Alicorn can work, however, by introducing a new alicorn to Equestria, you would be effectively changing the mythology and/or lore.

Any time someone introduces a big villain they change the mythology/lore.
But not really, we've seen two alicorns we know have just become alicorns through their own actions, it's established as a thing ponies can do.

You could literally write some pony achieves alicorn status out in the boonies, gets discovered, and everyone expects them to be massively powerful or have some grand role and they really never thought about that it's not like they set out to get a horn&wings. But people's expectations and destiny say otherwise.
Actually that's a pretty good story seed right there.

You know what's funny?

I haven't seen a red-and-black Alicorn OC for at least a year.

I think FIMFiction culture is like medieval Westeran culture, always hunting for witches that aren't there.

With this in mind, it's possible to approach an Alicorn character right; imagine the pain of having a lot of power and living in fear of misusing it? If that's covered, you can have a super-powerful OC who still lives in self-imposed limits inflicted by his own heart, and still be cool and loveable.

4010188 I'm genuinely curious; has Cadence's backstory been explained? Is there a comic story-arc of conversation by the creators that explains how, and when she became an alicorn or if she was born one?

I apologize for taking you slightly off topic.

Here is the No-Problems path to make an awesome Alicorn OC.
Step 1: Now everyone knows that the red+black colors are best for the job, but another great way is to use very stark and contrasting colors, such as navy blue and a offsetting shade of bland orange. Just remember, bland + bland= brand! Another way to do this is to just get some darts and throw it at things at your house to find the coat and hair color. Let me show you an example. Ok, the first one hit an old and rotting orange... Lemme try again... Oh fuck my cat got hit willberightback.
(Edit. Cat's not dead, just very mad)
Okay... my cat is actually purple, so that part is finished.
Step 2: Now that the hardest part of making an alicorn is done, you can go on to the next part which is just as important: ADDING MODS! Now for those that do not know, mods stands for modifications, which usually means interesting changes to your pony to make them interesting. Now for mine, I will choose some out of the steampunk and scary department. (Don't worry, I will not make it TOO scary, lol) So mmie will have bat wings with turbojets on them to be one of the fastest fliers in existence, and will also have nyctan eyes along with on steampunk fron that he can attach different weapons and appliances to.(It got cut off, it's part of his tragic backstory)

Part 3: Now we get to decide what powers to give our alicorns! (Okay, I think my cat may not be fine after all... I'll be back)
(Edit, back)
So, the best way to do this is to think of the top five best powers YOU would want. Now choose four of those five and give it to them (hmm, I really want that fifth too... Okay, secretly give them all five)

Step 4: This is the final, but also the most boring step: The backstory. Now no one actually wants to deal with writing about your OC's growing up, except in flashbacks, so this may seem too much trouble and people just skip it, but this step can give you suprising inspiration later on. The best way to do this is simple: Kill of a loved one. See, it ain't that hard, child! If you want to make it an extra good backstory, kill off multiple loved ones and you will be all set.

Now, the next time your alicorn is looked at, eeveryone will cringe in JEALOUSY.
(And hey, my cat is back from the vet from his traumatic experience! The doctor even gave him robotic wings, a laser eyeball, power lighting and even the power to become a God! Thanks doc!)
-FraeFoe

I'm genuinely curious; has Cadence's backstory been explained? Is there a comic story-arc of conversation by the creators that explains how, and when she became an alicorn or if she was born one?

Yes, Short version she was originally a Pegasus and then mastered her special talent(spreading love) while younger than the mane six at the start of the show(who are supposed to be early 20s equivalent, so basically as a teenager) making her an Alicorn.

So, it wasn't Star Swirl the Bearded's Spell so much as Twilight's talent and ability to finish it that caused her ascension? Well, that is interesting.

Any links to this?

It's not as much about whether an alicorn OC is better than the main characters, though that is highly suspect without a very good reason, it's more about whether the alicorn OC is better than the story. What do I mean? The alicorn can be supernaturally attractive to both sexes, as well as being able to fight all four princesses at once and give them a run for their money, but if his or her "power" can't negate their problems for them (such as being able to overcome everypony else's rabid distrust of their mind-warping attractiveness - see also, Consequences of Unoriginality) then they can't run roughshod over the story itself. And being able to beat the story in a one on one is what really makes a character overpowered.

A lesser-recognized problem is the black and white complex. Many custom alicorns are really, really good and really, really bad at things with nothing in between. Most people concentrate on how an alicorn OC would kick so much butt in certain situations and be completely useless in everything else, thinking that this dichotomy makes them decent characters. It does not. Good characters have things they're good at and things that they suck at. But they also have a lot more things that they're OK but not great at and things that they aren't all that good but don't truly suck at. (see also, 4009865 's character, Virtuous, who is apparently accomplished at thoroughly corrupt, back-biting politics but who, even before going off to change his lifestyle, leans toward being a paragon for the opposite. "Black or white.")

For my main story I created an alicorn OC. I'll drop her here.

Name: Etherea
Sex: Female
Alicorn of: Dreams
Colors: Golden-yellow coat, light blue and dark blue mane and tail, violet eyes.
Cutie Mark: A shining sun nestled among 3 crystal clouds

Biography: Etherea is the daughter of Cadance and Shining Armor. She was raised by doting, somewhat over-protective parents (due in part to the changeling invasion) and surrounded by the best of the best in Equestrian society. She's a little spoiled, a bit sheltered, and somewhat naïve, but she's also had the best princess-ly training a pony can receive given her mother is one, she grew up around two of the most successful and powerful ones, and her extended family is highly connected to them all.

She has an impressive repertoire of spells at her disposal due to her increased ability and her upbringing.

Personality: She's generally kind, helpful, and open-minded, traits instilled by those she grew up around. She has a lot of knowledge about running a nation but little actual experience. Her confidence makes her a bit rash because she's never really been hit by making a bad decision.

She's friendly and entirely too curious, which is a good thing even if it has gotten her in trouble while growing up.

She's a bit materialistic, though, and enjoys getting and having things. Especially new and curious things that she can examine and ponder.

Why she's necessary: I needed a pony that could cross to a different dimension. Doing so is supposed to be hard so very few existing ponies could fit the bill, and none of them had the personality I wanted.

Why she's not OP'd: She is...

But more seriously, now that she knows how to get to Earth she can go back and forth. Eventually. It's incredibly draining to cross dimensions so in the mean time she has to wait to recover and deal with having separated herself from her friends, family, and her entire world. As a princess-in-training she has the diplomatic know-how to cope - like a translation spell - but her tutelage never planned for her current situation - her translation spell is imperfect and unwieldy because it was meant to be used in Equestria - so she's having to improvise.

She has some powerful friends has some unique abilities gained from them. She can shapeshift because she grew up with a changeling friend. But it's only temporary because she's not a changeling, and it doesn't help her much when it costs her more than she can afford when she's saving up to get back home.

She has a lot of stuff. And she can do cool things. But even things that are helpful to her only help make the situation endurable, they don't get her out of it.

4009865 That's easy, write them as a person, not the Ultimate Anime Hero.

It docent matter what race they are if they are well written, they will be liked.

4009865 How do you make an alicorn OC interesting?
The same way you make yellow cake uranium edible: you don't. You just run away as quickly as possible.

I am just kidding!
But in all seriousness, you are paddling upriver a bit on this one, but I will give what advice I can.
Step 1: Under all circumstance do not, for the love of Celestia, make the character a self insert. That is a no no.
Step 2: Avoid a color palette that involves the combined use of red and black at all costs. This is also a no no. Just avoid as many cliches as possible, but don't try too hard.
Step 3: Your character should exist because no other characters would fit the bill. This is a rule of thumb for fanfiction: If your OC's role could easily be filled by an already existing character, then forget the OC and use the already existing character. In this case, just ask yourself: Could Virtuous easily be replaced by Celestia, Luna, Cadence, etc.? If the answer is no, then continue to step 4.
Step 4: Why did I create this character? This step goes in tandom with step 3. You created this character because no other character fits the bill. But, what is that bill? Remind yourself of why you created Virtuous, and use him accordingly.
Step 5: Flesh Virtuous out. You should be able to know him so well that you could take a personal survey for him in his stead. Here is a good list to fill out. Make sure that he isn't too perfect. A good flaw or two really rounds a character out.
Step 6: If you have done this right, you will still get bombarded with flash-judgement hate. Don't worry about it too much, but if people have valid complaints, listen to them and try to apply what they have said.

This is really all that I can think of.
And to be honest, you have probably done most of these, but I admit being too lazy to read your post, other than your character's name.

All of that aside, good luck!

In my experience, Alicorn OCs really only work when you really need them. They're a huge addition to the established canon/lore, and to be honest, they easily break the SOD. You're better off using Celestia, Woona, or even Cadence. Failing that, then at least use Twilight.

I have created Two OC's that are, potentially, Alicorn Zebras. One is male, one is female. Click them. They're links to the profiles of said OC's.

I had a good reason to make them, too: not because I wanted an idealistic powerful version of myself, or to God-Mode, but because Zebras should not be at the mercy of foreign powers. If common ponies can have Godlike Beings (Cel, Luna), then the Zebras should also have counterbalancing forces.

Plus, they fulfill useful purposes and are very nice. They are not red-and-black, but black-and-white.

OP, 'alicorns' essentially seem to be FiMVerse's cognate for Gods and Goddesses, hence, their immense power, and their curiously specific attributes. As in Greek Mythology, there appears to be a set of parameters for Ascending To Godhood.

There are fics about Goddess Luna and Goddess Celestia dying, but the Dying God who is Reborn is an old mythological trope, which is why I instructed any potential users of my Alicorn OC's to kill them if they wished; it would authenticate their purposes as Divine Beings who encounter Death and Rebirth.

Atlas is, perhaps, overpowered, but he is also not a raving maniac, like some Alicorn OC's. No reflection on anyone's OC's ITT; I was thinking more of the Legendary Killer Red-And-Black OC.

If I may, allow me to crib from Stephen King momentarily, so that you may better understand Atlas's nature.

See the Zebra of enormous girth!
Upon his shoulders rests our world.
His thought is slow, but always kind.
He holds us all with his mind.

On his shoulders all vows are made.
He observes, but must not aid.
He loves the land and loves the sea,
And even loves a foal like me.

Pacifica is slightly more aggressive, to a certain degree, but she mostly obeys the FiMverse's Law of Harmony, as well.

I haven't thought of a neat little rhyme for her yet, but maybe you can.

I had a good reason to make them, too: not because I wanted an idealistic powerful version of myself, or to God-Mode, but because Zebras should not be at the mercy of foreign powers. If common ponies can have Godlike Beings (Cel, Luna), then the Zebras should also have counterbalancing forces.
Plus, they fulfill useful purposes and are very nice. They are not red-and-black, but black-and-white.

Alicorn's represent the harmony between the three tribes, an ascended zebra would be something other than a zebra with wings and horn, though with the shows empathis on wisdom and embrace of the world, i wouldn't deny other races ascension, it would just be mythically appropriate to their race showing that harmony as their people would see it rather than as ponies do.

Also Cel and Luna are much weaker than a lot of people seem to think. Well perhaps differently powerful. In combat Celestia straight up isn't very powerful at all, while Luna can completely bowl her over without even resorting to stealth, illusion or any other trick she has shown.
But Sombra was a Unicorn and though he lost he still put up a fight against both at once.

"Alicorn OC" has no inherent definition beyond "an OC who happens to be an alicorn."

Making one interesting is 100% identical to making any other kind of OC interesting.

</thread>

While "GODDESS CELESTIA, PRAISE THE SUN!" is a common Fanon trope, I agree that there is not much basis for it, in the show.

The sun is pretty serious business, though, and, theoretically, Celestia could bring about the apocalypse, if she brought the sun too close. Luna as well, if she smashed the moon down hard enough.

In my notes for the Alicorn Zebras, I observed that they may not even look like alicorns, and that they might just be cosmically-powered Zebras, so you are also right to suggest that Zebra "Gods" and "Goddesses" would diffrentiate greatly from common Alicorn "Gods" and "Goddesses".

I'm just fanoning here, but in the anime series AA! MEGAMI-SAMA, the Norse Goddesses wear jewelry that "locks in" their power. I have a theory that Celestia and Woona's crowns and such stopper them up, as well. Unbound Celestia might well be a skyscraper-high menace like, say, a Colossal Titan from SNK.

In fact, I plan on doing a SNK crossover in which Celestia(whom people worship)does just that. It will be philosophical in nature, tackling questions people have about Gods, mainly "Why does God let Bad Things happen to me?".

The sun is pretty serious business, though, and, theoretically, Celestia could bring about the apocalypse, if she brought the sun too close. Luna as well, if she smashed the moon down hard enough.

Remember before they were born the dinural cycle was controlled by normal unicorns. Not hard to imagine if they tried to do that unicorns or another race would be able to fight them for control, and equestria would be in a huge negative position politically.

I have a theory that Celestia and Woona's crowns and such stopper them up, as well. Unbound Celestia might well be a skyscraper-high menace like, say, a Colossal Titan from SNK.

Pretty clearly non-canon. Celestia explicitly goes all out against Chrysalis and gets trounced. Now Luna would have been a very different fight since she's explicitly the warrior of the two sisters.
The only thing ever called a god or implied to have that level of power is discord(who could take on all four alicorns and win without breaking a sweat) or tirek after eating a LOT of souls.

Well and the Rainbow, but the Rainbow is Capital G god level powerful.

In fact, I plan on doing a SNK crossover in which Celestia(whom people worship)does just that. It will be philosophical in nature, tackling questions people have about Gods, mainly "Why does God let Bad Things happen to me?".

Because the MLPverse equivalent of God is Pantheistic, The Tao, or the World Arcana. Bad things are a part of the sum of all things.

In my theoretical fic, yes, that would have been one of the rationalizations.

I also planned to answer the question in similar fashion to the Mayans or the Yoruba peoples: the Gods destroy what they want and do as they please, and you, small Mortal, must deal with their supernatural whims. Like insects caught in amber, we are.

There would have been several answers and the reader would have to choose whichever one he or she or shi prefers.

I also planned to answer the question in similar fashion to the Mayans or the Yoruba peoples: the Gods destroy what they want and do as they please, and you, small Mortal, must deal with their supernatural whims. Like insects caught in amber, we are.

That's a much shittier answer than.
The world is the sum of all things, there are more good things than bad things, but the world is the sum of all things.

And not really remotely how Celestia acts, if she had the power to do more she would.

Yes, it's a answer that evokes disgust and depression. Very Sylvia Plath-esque. Very bleak. Very grim.

However, it is not the only answer I intended to supply. Furthermore, I am aware that Cel is being radically OOC, but this is a crossover and her OOC behavior is merely one of many discrepancies you will find.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 49